Best DS games for kids?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tts42572

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 tts42572
Member since 2004 • 49 Posts

Thinking about getting my 7 year old daughter a Nintendo DS for Christmas and just wondering if anybody had any recommendations for games to check out that she might enjoy.

One game I know she will like is Mario Kart DS. We've played alot of Mario Kart Double Dash on the gamecube so I suspect Mario Kart DS would be a keeper.

She's also a huge Hannah Montana fan....so I'm also looking at getting one of the 2 Hannah Montana games. I know they probably are "classics", but she'll probably like them.

Any other games I should chech out? Was thinking about maybe Mario 64...but not sure.

Would appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks.

Avatar image for Frankensteinman
Frankensteinman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 Frankensteinman
Member since 2007 • 645 Posts

i would suggest nintendogs, because its good for kids.

Also, Brain Age is always fun, and you could help get interest in it by playing it too, and then you could see who has a lower brain age (its your kid)

Super Mario 64 is good, but personally i would recommend New Super Mario Bros because its a bit easier

DeafNYCPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 DeafNYCPlayer
Member since 2004 • 2314 Posts

Meteos: Disney Magic, it is puzzle game.

Tetris DS, it is popular puzzle game.

Cooking Mama 1-2, my friend's daughter (5 years old) loves Cooking Mama DS 1-2, and Cooking Mama Wii.

Avatar image for WSGRandomPerson
WSGRandomPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#4 WSGRandomPerson
Member since 2007 • 13697 Posts
Nintendogs, cute animals not real. No real work for you. :)
Instead of Super Mario 64 DS, i'd go with New! Super Mario Brothers. It's a side-scroller so it wouldn't be to difficult, that it's the original mario with a 3d make over.
Tetris DS, it seems all ages can play this aslong as they can make lines. and maybe when she gets older she'll get more into it then she is now.
toehold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 toehold
Member since 2007 • 118 Posts
Clubhouse Games is pretty good for all ages. Stuff like Uno is good for kids aswell. Mario is fine but they can be quite challenging for kids. There was a 9 or 10 year old girl here and she asked if she could play New! Super Mario Bros., so I let her. She just wasn't very good at all. So, Mario may not be the best thing. Games like Spyro and Crash are better for younger kids. Mario Kart DS is good for everybody and same with Diddy Kong Racing. The same girl who played New! Super Mario Bros. played my Mario Kart, liked it and got it herself. I don't know about Hanna Montana but if she's a fan... Most show/movie games arn't very good, that's all I have to say.
shard9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 shard9
Member since 2005 • 150 Posts
I think that Mario Party or Animal Crossing would be good for her.
Avatar image for haleyprincess11
haleyprincess11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 haleyprincess11
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Sorry if this is bumping but I have a suggestion, if you're still interested. I think Mario Kart DS is great because I know alot of children that have that game and love it. My little cousins, Jason, Matty, Breanna, and Devyn all have that game and recall it as their favorite :)
ACL0V3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ACL0V3R
Member since 2008 • 2273 Posts

Yah that is bumping and unessasary....please dont do this again.

edwardorito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 edwardorito
Member since 2007 • 574 Posts

DRAWN TO LIFE. Scribblenauts is also coming so I suggest you get that.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars. :P

Serentor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 Serentor
Member since 2008 • 941 Posts

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars. :P

Bigboi500
lol another zombie forum
meiaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#12 meiaman
Member since 2006 • 3300 Posts
[QUOTE="haleyprincess11"]Sorry if this is bumping but I have a suggestion, if you're still interested. I think Mario Kart DS is great because I know alot of children that have that game and love it. My little cousins, Jason, Matty, Breanna, and Devyn all have that game and recall it as their favorite :)

I can see that you want to help, haley. However, bumping this 2 years thread is not needed. Its 2 years so the guy must had bought it by now. But i salute you for your good intention, just check the time of the posts next time, ok? :) Have a nice day.
Cloud850

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Cloud850
Member since 2009 • 176 Posts

Animal Crossing: Wild World

Avatar image for deactivated-626d7beb18aa6
deactivated-626d7beb18aa6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-626d7beb18aa6
Member since 2006 • 115 Posts

Well Im looking for kids games as well so Im glad it got bumped and I really think this being a "game forum and review site' that they should put a little more effort into reviewing DSi games for kids, I mean thats where most of us started gaming so unless Im missing something reviewing kids games from a child's perspective is a gap I hope they fill.

One thing that I know would help everyone is reading grade level added to reviews of kids games, We got the "bee movie" (on the Wii) game and some quests she can read but others she'll bump into a word that she cant.

My issue is my child has a reading disability so some of the games just wont work for her. She reads at a K/1st grade level and is in second grade but other skills like math are strong. I know the DS has few games that dont use some form of chat to get the games point across but I need to find a few she either wont have to read or that use words at her level.

We have a ps3 and she dose well at little big planet because the game is like crack and we play it together. Anyway hand eye coordination is there for her, she plays just about as well as I do but on the DSi I wont be there to read for her, any suggestions for games that have yet to be recommended would be appreciated.

P.S.Thread might be worth a sticky with a game listing, just a thought.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts
Kirby: Canvas Curse or Rhythm Paradise are both very creative and accessible at the same time :) What do you think?
trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Come on guys, the 7 year old girl is 10 years old now lolol. Let the thread die, I'm sure she doesn't want people reccomending her games her whole life :P

Avatar image for deactivated-626d7beb18aa6
deactivated-626d7beb18aa6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-626d7beb18aa6
Member since 2006 • 115 Posts

Kirby: Canvas Curse looks like a winner the other might not but ty for the help. One question, Ive never played a Pokemon game /duck so do they require you to read quests or can you wing it? She's ALWAYS wanted a Pokemon game.

Pokemon HeartGold looks like a cool game for her if she can wing it with a little help here and there, what do you think?

Come on guys, the 7 year old girl is 10 years old now lolol. Let the thread die, I'm sure she doesn't want people reccomending her games her whole life :P

trugs26

It helps to read new posts before you jump on ppl, no harm done though.

martinX3X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 martinX3X
Member since 2009 • 4488 Posts

Mario Kart DS is perfect.

beng1960

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 beng1960
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I'm looking for a handheld game for my son who is 14 and has Down syndrome. He's fairly low functioning, but loves my ipod touch with some of the simple toddler games. Which system has the most VERY simple game options?
Tujiaxing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Tujiaxing
Member since 2010 • 126 Posts

Yoshi island DS
Bomberman Land Touch DS
New Super Mario Bros DS
kirby squeak squad DS
Mario Vs Donkey Kong 2 March Of The Minis
Shrek The Third DS
Pac-Man World 3 DS
Bratz Super Babyz DS
Kung Fu Panda DS
Super Princess Peach DS
Winx Club Mission Enchantix
There are too many to be listed. Click here to see more: Best DS games for kids

pantyraid2113

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 pantyraid2113
Member since 2010 • 1976 Posts

lol i wonder if she got her the ds...2 years ago

dressupgirls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dressupgirls
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
A fun and cute play dress up games with variety of dress up games for girls, dress up games for kids, coloring games, cooking games, fashion games, doll maker, disney games
wwefanforlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#24 wwefanforlife
Member since 2006 • 3248 Posts

A fun and cute play dress up games with variety of dress up games for girls, dress up games for kids, coloring games, cooking games, fashion games, doll maker, disney gamesdressupgirls
The topic poster won't need to know now since you who bumped the thread didn't read this was posted Dec 1, 2007.

SamarKI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SamarKI
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Thanks for all of these suggestions!