Best DS games for a 5 year old??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by jmallen99 (30 posts) -

I bought a DSi for my son for Xmas, and he'll be almost 5 by the time the holidays roll around. I'm totally new to the DS myself having shunned portable gaming systems all these years for the "bigger brother" systems.

What are the best games for his age group - games that are the best overall, with suitable content (he won't be playing "GTA: China Wars" - but I might ;), and most importantly will be easy enough to play at his skill level?

Just from a quick search: definitely Mario Kart (he loves the Wii version) -what about Yoshi's Island?, Nintendogs?, Scribblenauts looks promising?,Zelda: Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks?(I love the Zelda series but I don't know if he'll be able to get into it). Though I dread it, the Pokemon series seems pretty popular. Is it something I should look into for him?

Any educational games for his age group?

I got a DSi for the same price as the DS Lite, and I wanted that model because of the ability to download games online. Any downloadable games worth looking into for him?

Thanks for any helpful replies!

(PS: Is there a way to turn on reply notification, such that if someone replies to my post I'll get an e-mail letting me know? Thanks.)

#2 Posted by LaytonsCat (3652 posts) -

Something Mario. NSMB or Kart likely. Although my bosses six year old loved Bowser's inside story, but found it a little hard

#3 Posted by rgsniper1 (9341 posts) -

Sonic Collection, Super Mario Bros, Spongebob Truth or Square, Penguins of Madagascar, Mario Party, Mario Cart, All the Lego Games, Chocobo Tails, Batman the Brave and Bold, Marvel Super Hero Squad, Yoshi, Backyardigans, clubhouse Games.

If he's good at video games at that age he might start enjoying the Castlevanias, Pokemon, Nanostray, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles...

#4 Posted by layton2012 (3653 posts) -
I know you hate it but Pokemon is the logical choice that new super mario bros and Mario Kart and he'll be set for awhile
#5 Posted by UprootedDreamer (2080 posts) -
Animal Crossing.
#6 Posted by benleslie5 (7766 posts) -
  • Animal Crossing
  • New Super Mario Bros
  • Sonic Rush
#7 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6007 posts) -

I bought a DSi for my son for Xmas, and he'll be almost 5 by the time the holidays roll around. I'm totally new to the DS myself having shunned portable gaming systems all these years for the "bigger brother" systems.

What are the best games for his age group - games that are the best overall, with suitable content (he won't be playing "GTA: China Wars" - but I might ;), and most importantly will be easy enough to play at his skill level?

Just from a quick search: definitely Mario Kart (he loves the Wii version) -what about Yoshi's Island?, Nintendogs?, Scribblenauts looks promising?,Zelda: Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks?(I love the Zelda series but I don't know if he'll be able to get into it). Though I dread it, the Pokemon series seems pretty popular. Is it something I should look into for him?

Any educational games for his age group?

I got a DSi for the same price as the DS Lite, and I wanted that model because of the ability to download games online. Any downloadable games worth looking into for him?

Thanks for any helpful replies!

(PS: Is there a way to turn on reply notification, such that if someone replies to my post I'll get an e-mail letting me know? Thanks.)

jmallen99
If he likes words(or if you'd like him to like words;)) Scribblenauts or Super Scribblenauts would be an excellent choice. New Super Mario Bros. Would also be a good one. Batman: The Brave and the Bold and Marvel Super Hero Squad both got good reviews if I remember correctly.
#8 Posted by DigitalDame (3865 posts) -

My God Daughter is a big sonic fan, she likes that you help save cute little animals.

#9 Posted by PoindeJ (686 posts) -

Kirby games are pretty good for youngsters, too. There are four DS ones -- Kirby Canvas Curse, Kirby Super Star Ultra (a remake of the SNES game), Kirby Squeak Squad, and Kirby Mass Attack. I've only played Canvas Curse (and loved it), but Super Star Ultra or Squeak Squad are probably also great fits. Mass Attack might be a little hard for a 5 year-old.

#10 Posted by AvatarMan96 (7323 posts) -

I'd say Nintendogs, it'll get him hooked on games :P

#11 Posted by rubber-chicken (2067 posts) -
Mario Bros seems about right. But make sure he doesn't get addicted, video games in general can be too addicting for kids that age. I mean, look at us, when we're not playing games, we're talking about them. :P
#12 Posted by poorb0y215 (19 posts) -
zoo tycoon
#13 Posted by Detroit222 (5281 posts) -

Animal Crossing - addictive for children AND adults!

Any of the MySims games

#14 Posted by hyperjj3000 (973 posts) -

Pretty much any sonic or mario game, zelda games may be too hard for a 5 year old. Animal crossing is a lot of fun for all ages, nintendogs is great for for kids. He might also like the lego games, my 7 year old loves lego batman. There are hundreds of kiddies games to choose from.

#15 Posted by kingjazziephiz (2404 posts) -
i started playing pokemon when i was five.. so get pokemon. oh and some kirby games.
#16 Posted by cronomagus36 (12663 posts) -

Animal Crossing, Pokemon, and Kirby are probably the best choices.

#17 Posted by LOSTLEAD8R (473 posts) -

The legendary Starfy. Wonderful learning curve, and fun for any age.

#18 Posted by vgamefreak225 (270 posts) -

Animal Crossing. UprootedDreamer

Yes. Definitely if u don't care about words like jerk and stuff. It's great for little kids.

#19 Posted by layton2012 (3653 posts) -

The legendary Starfy. Wonderful learning curve, and fun for any age.

LOSTLEAD8R
Yeah I agree with this guy Starfy is not only a great game but it really is fun.We need a starfy 2
#20 Posted by hydralisk86 (8525 posts) -
I dunno, are you sure a 5 year old would take good care of a handheld? Seems kinda young.
#21 Posted by Matth3wXb0x (6 posts) -
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Requires Thinking) - Pokemon (Heart Gold, Soul Silver, Platinum, Black, White)
#22 Posted by jmallen99 (30 posts) -

Wow! Thanks so much for all the replies! I definitely saw several titles mentioned over and over. I'll have to check some of those out. Now how do I narrow the list? :)

@rubber-chicken: Good advice on video game addiction. Unfortunately, I'm afraid my son has the same "disease" that I do. I was hoping Gamespot was the "spot" to provide counseling on how to overcome thisproblem.:)

@hydralisk86: One of my son's friends actually got a DS when he was 3!! I thought that was really young and the kid would have to be told to be careful about dropping it all the time. I guess we'll see. The DS models seem fairly sturdy, but I'm definitely not buying him a new one if it breaks! :)

#23 Posted by blaze4545 (21 posts) -
Mario Kart, Super Mario and any of the Nintendogs games would be great !
#24 Posted by jmallen99 (30 posts) -

A couple of questions:

New Super Mario Bros (DS): Is the DS version as hard as the Wii version? I'm having a tough time with the Wii NSMB. I don't think my son would have the patience or skill for the DS version if it's just as difficult.

Pokemon: Which one is worth checking out first? I'm totally new to the Pokemon craze (except for Pokemon Snap, or whatever it was called, that came out for the N64 years ago). Which one is best, and should that be the first one my son should play?

Thanks!

#25 Posted by TankZorz (1836 posts) -
If you're worried about him dropping it, you might want to invest in a nerf case. It will make it bulkier but has plenty of padding.
#26 Posted by Yoweeh (3025 posts) -

You should be buying a 5 year old childrens books and board games not video games honestly

but i would say nintendogs, mario cart, pokemon maybe (if he knows how to read)