arrogant or innovative?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

polishkid99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By polishkid99
Member since 2007 • 4787 Posts

This topic is two questions in one.

Is Nintendo being innovative or arrogant with their choice of hardware to release?

And

What are the chances of nintendo releasing a "normal" styled controller paired with their next home console?

I think the questions go hand in hand a little bit because with a more hardware similar console (graphics, controls) to the competition, 3rd party developers would have an easier time porting over games.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Yeah but Nintendo being no different from the other consoles will be their downfall. Its approach towards hardware and software thats keeping them afloat. The Wii U is a fine machine and Nintendo just needs to encourage developers to make games for it.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

Nintendo is just entering HD so they're slow to make games. Lack of games incoming from other companies is hurting, too. Nintendo can make any console or controller they want, if they continue to have a lack of steady software then what the hardware does is irrelevant.

"software moves hardware" -Reggie

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@jcrame10

and with that said, I think thats a wrap...

Avatar image for Avatar_Taxidous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Avatar_Taxidous
Member since 2006 • 4407 Posts

I honestly can't attribute the Wii remote or gamepad being created to any kind of arrogance, just innovation. Same with the Nintendo DS. I've enjoyed most of these innovations, and that's what has turned me into the Nintendo fan that I am today. If the question were: Is Nintendo arrogant or innovative? I'd say: Both.

polishkid99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 polishkid99

I asked the controller question not because i have a problem with the gamepad, i was simply wondering if it would be more wise for them to dive deeper into innovation or release something more similar to other game consoles and take a less of a gamble.

When i ask people if they'll buy a wii u, their main concern is confusin and limited knowledge of the gamepad. Now, nintendo was innovative with the wii and used a controller that is entirely different than what people are used too, however the concept of it is very simple. "Point and click", "shake", and "swing".

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts

One that is arrogant does not feel the need to innovate. Arrogance, makes you believe that you can put out basically the same product year after year and people will soak it up. Look no further than things like Guitar Hero/Rock Band, Tony Hawk and Call of Duty. Sony also with the PS3, that was pure arrogance, they believed they can release a souped up PS2 for $600 and everyone would run out and buy it, how wrong they were. The Wii U if anything, was Nintendo admitting, they cant keep up with Sony and MS in a simple arms race and that they have to at least attempt innovation gen to gen to take the market. So no, I do not expect Nintendo's next console to go the route of souped of version of that last one, because they don't think(and rightfully so)that they will win that race. Simply put MS and especially Sony, love the moniker of most powerful hardware and Sony will eat a loss to make that happen.

polishkid99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 polishkid99

@Sepewrath said:

One that is arrogant does not feel the need to innovate. Arrogance, makes you believe that you can put out basically the same product year after year and people will soak it up. Look no further than things like Guitar Hero/Rock Band, Tony Hawk and Call of Duty. Sony also with the PS3, that was pure arrogance, they believed they can release a souped up PS2 for $600 and everyone would run out and buy it, how wrong they were. The Wii U if anything, was Nintendo admitting, they cant keep up with Sony and MS in a simple arms race and that they have to at least attempt innovation gen to gen to take the market. So no, I do not expect Nintendo's next console to go the route of souped of version of that last one, because they don't think(and rightfully so)that they will win that race. Simply put MS and especially Sony, love the moniker of most powerful hardware and Sony will eat a loss to make that happen.

Hm. nice explanation. thanks for taking the time to respond. So while Sony and Microsoft will be having their bodybuilding hardware competition, where does that leave Nintendo? Will they try to compete directly with them or simply try to capture the eyes of consumers through innovation?

The only problem I have is, usually when a company does something innovative and it's highly successful (Wii, but i did lose people towards the end), they try to ride on that for as long as possible (Sony with PS2). People initially weren't swayed by the ps3 on launch but it rebounded towards the end and sales of the ps4 have been great...however, the ps4 is pretty much the same thing as the ps3 but you can see sand more clearly now, in-game.

not speaking directly about Nintendo right now, but doesn't constant innovation in too close of a time period hurt a company? a product loses the sense of "comfort" and "assurance" if it has too drastic of a change.

BronxBomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BronxBomber
Member since 2003 • 13398 Posts

Nintendo has a typical non-gamepad controller that I hear is really good. I find that they are just really innovative and creative, and sure, being arrogant makes then better at being creative.

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

1. A company isn't a person so it can't be arrogant.

2. Yes, I think the Game Pad is a move more towards traditional control schemes. I personally hope their next console uses an improved Wii U Pro Controller, maybe with a touch pad a la Dual Shock 4. MAYBE Nintendo tries to add a button for your ring fingers on their controller but I doubt that. They don't seem keen on VR, they're separating fitness games into their QOL platforms, so what gimmick controllers could they come up with?

I do believe they'll drop the Game Pad from their next console BTW.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#11 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

Nintendo have never repeated a console design, so the idea that they would release a gamepad like what you're imagining is very unlikely. If they did what people wanted, you'd have no Mario 64, Goldeneye, SSBM, Metroid Prime etc etc.

What exclusive game from 20 years ago do Sony players still mention everyday?