Are there any more "mature" titles that Nintendo can save?

#1 Posted by plebegamer (14 posts) -

http://plebegaming.wordpress.com/2014/07/24/bayonetta-and-devils-third-are-a-good-start/

With Nintendo being the reason we're getting games like Bayonetta 2 and Devil's Third, are there any other titles Nintendo can save from cancellation to pad their thin lineup going forward? I can only imagine saving a project from being completely scrapped could earn them some points with developers and can help the Wii U get some games out faster, as those titles don't need to be made from complete scratch.

#2 Posted by Sphensen (771 posts) -

Time Splitters

#3 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7499 posts) -

@Sphensen said:

Time Splitters

So much this.

#4 Posted by _BlueDuck_ (11986 posts) -

Timesplitters, Turok and Rogue Squadron. Hell let's throw in Dino Crisis while we are at it.

#5 Posted by Sphensen (771 posts) -

@_BlueDuck_ said:

Timesplitters, Turok and Rogue Squadron. Hell let's throw in Dino Crisis while we are at it.

I'm sure Nintendo would blow up with Nostalgia if they did that

#6 Edited by Star0 (443 posts) -

What's a "mature" title?

Just give me Pilotwings 2, Blast Corps 2, a Wii U timed-exclusive Timesplitters 4, a proper reboot of Turok only for the Wii U, Diddy Kong Racing 2, Eternal Darkness 2, Areal (lol), Shadowman 2, WWE No Mercy, Sin 2, an open world platform-adventure Mario game, Mario Paint U, MDK 3, Ultra Descent, Forsaken 2 etc.

They need to take some risks.

#7 Posted by Sphensen (771 posts) -

@Star0 said:

What's a "mature" title?

Just give me Pilotwings 2, Blast Corps 2, a Wii U timed-exclusive Timesplitters 4, a proper reboot of Turok only for the Wii U, Diddy Kong Racing 2, Eternal Darkness 2, Areal (lol), Shadowman 2, WWE No Mercy, Sin 2, an open world platform-adventure Mario game, Mario Paint U, MDK 3, Ultra Descent, Forsaken 2 etc.

They need to take some risks.

I would love a new Pilot Wings, Pilot Wings 64 was the bee's knees

#8 Posted by farrell2k (6384 posts) -

If you mean violent bro shooters, no. Nintendo should stick to what makes it money. Look what happened with the WiiU when Nintendo tried embracing the hardcore crowd. Nintendo should leave these types of games to the other companies. Devil's third and Bayonetta are not going to sell well.

#9 Posted by Star0 (443 posts) -

@farrell2k

"Look what happened with the WiiU when Nintendo tried embracing the hardcore crowd."

When did that happen?

#10 Posted by plebegamer (14 posts) -

By mature I simply mean darker, bloodier etc.

The thought is that even if the titles sell relatively poorly, they'll pull in a disproportionately large boost to hardware due to lack of overlap. If someone's not interested in a traditional Nintendo title like Mario or Zelda, no matter how many Nintendo titles you release, they won't buy it. However if you mixed in one or two bloodier titles here and there, you're more likely to get people like that someone.

I think Bayonetta has a chance to sell pretty well, one million plus, simply because of the amazing value that comes bundles with the Bayonetta 2 purchase.

#11 Edited by nini200 (9827 posts) -

Apparently seems like this is actually getting revived

I don't know exactly why people want this revived but Project Hammer

This needs a sequel. Could be Nintendo's Mech battling franchise.

This is the fighting game franchise that Nintendo should revive if they're going for a more mature feel. This could be their mature 2D fighter.

They could revive this franchise if they wanted a more mature 3D fighter.

This could be their Uncharted/Tomb Raider Rival.

There's many many more games they could revive but the fanbase would either have to already be there or it would have to be a risky enough venture to where it's so risky to where even if they take losses, they'll still be in the clear.

#12 Posted by Madmangamer364 (3605 posts) -

@Star0 said:

@farrell2k

"Look what happened with the WiiU when Nintendo tried embracing the hardcore crowd."

When did that happen?

When they tried to explain to the gaming masses what the "U" in "Wii U" actually meant. The first year of the Wii U's life wasn't anything if not an attempt to prove to the "hardcore gamer" that Nintendo could provide the same experiences on their now-HD platform as everyone else does. That's why there was so much meaningless buzz about the system getting PS3/Xbox 360 multiplats for about the first 12 month of its existence (pre-launch and post-launch). Of course, when most of those games bomb at retail and third parties jump ship at a blink of an eye, people quickly forget that Nintendo actually did try... :P

@plebegamer said:

By mature I simply mean darker, bloodier etc.

The thought is that even if the titles sell relatively poorly, they'll pull in a disproportionately large boost to hardware due to lack of overlap. If someone's not interested in a traditional Nintendo title like Mario or Zelda, no matter how many Nintendo titles you release, they won't buy it. However if you mixed in one or two bloodier titles here and there, you're more likely to get people like that someone.

I think Bayonetta has a chance to sell pretty well, one million plus, simply because of the amazing value that comes bundles with the Bayonetta 2 purchase.

...Or those games can simply sell terribly, and next to no one becomes interested in buying a system for a couple of non-blockbuster games that likely won't see sequels on the platform that they're being released on. The fact of the matter is that these games have to have a positive impact on really both the software and hardware fronts to prove their relevance, and the chances of that are slim to none as we speak. Nintendo can't get enough deals for niche "mature" offerings to sell a console to gamers that aren't interested in Mario and Co., and it's been proven time and time again that those who buy Nintendo console typically don't show up in large enough droves to make these "mature" games all that successful, which includes the better-known franchises than the ones being mentioned in this thread.

The only way Bayonetta sniffs anywhere close to a million units sold is if there are enough already-established Wii U owners that are interested enough in the game to take the plunge. In other words, those Nintendo-themed costumes and special effects better be darn good marketing tools when the games are released, or otherwise, Bayonetta's joining the club of almost every other Wii U "mature" game that have fallen below expectations commercially.

#13 Edited by Star0 (443 posts) -

@Madmangamer364 said:

@Star0 said:

@farrell2k

When did that happen?

When they tried to explain to the gaming masses what the "U" in "Wii U" actually meant. The first year of the Wii U's life wasn't anything if not an attempt to prove to the "hardcore gamer" that Nintendo could provide the same experiences on their now-HD platform as everyone else does. That's why there was so much meaningless buzz about the system getting PS3/Xbox 360 multiplats for about the first 12 month of its existence (pre-launch and post-launch). Of course, when most of those games bomb at retail and third parties jump ship at a blink of an eye, people quickly forget that Nintendo actually did try... :P

Right, right. Okay. If that's your opinion.

Trying is not a measurement of effort or success.

Nintendo made empty promises and put its hand in too many pots, the system had no identity or alluring selling point, the marketing sucked, the hardware wasn't attractive to the big 3rd parties...need I go on? They still haven't released a single game that could potentially get the attention of those 3rd parties. They need to take the bull by the horns and make a firm decision.

#14 Edited by osan0 (12754 posts) -

project offset.

the internet decided to have a bit of a laugh by saying that a certain game (vid on youtube) was a wiiu launch title. at the time it had some pretty spiffing graphics (still a looker but also looks very much like a work in progress). it was quickly recognised as project offset...an early demonstration of a PC game.

sadly the developer was bought out by intel (this was before the rumor) and that was that.

however it did get peoples attention and there are very few games like what project offset was going for. if nintendo could get their mitts on the IP, tech and developers it could be worth a punt.

#15 Edited by Star0 (443 posts) -

@osan0: Checked that out. Looks okay. Reminds me of the Shadow of the Beast reboot trailer for PS4 mixed with a bit of Ryse and Thief. Funnily enough, that's turned out to be vapourware too as far as I can tell.

Also the music is awesome...

#16 Edited by PikachuDude860 (878 posts) -

....Darksiders? It's already like Zelda. It has the dungeons, special items and puzzles. I think Darksiders and Nintendo could be great with eath other.

#17 Posted by farrell2k (6384 posts) -

@Star0 said:

Right, right. Okay. If that's your opinion.

Trying is not a measurement of effort or success.

Um... trying is the EXACT measure of effort.............................................................

#18 Edited by Star0 (443 posts) -

@farrell2k:

Not really. You can't quantify effort in that way. 'Trying' isn't measurable. You have to factor in workload procedures.

I worded that badly typing on my phone. What I meant to say was that there's no context to the statement 'Nintendo actually did try". Which set of standards am I to use as a reference?

#19 Posted by farrell2k (6384 posts) -

@Star0 said:

@farrell2k:

Not really. You can't quantify effort in that way. 'Trying' isn't measurable. You have to factor in workload procedures.

I worded that badly typing on my phone. What I meant to say was that there's no context to the statement 'Nintendo actually did try". Which set of standards am I to use as a reference?

Is English you second language?

#20 Posted by plebegamer (14 posts) -

RE2 Remake in the vein of the RE1 Remake on game cube would be a huge win for the Wii U.

While Shenmue isn't likely, it's certainly not as impossible as it would have been a decade or so ago.

Gotham by Gaslight would be an original Batman title and would get a lot of sales just from Batman's prominence. Buy the rights to it and give it to Retro.

#21 Edited by yokofox33 (29916 posts) -

I know a spiritual successor to Eternal Darkness was either in the works or being kick started, but a true sequel or just another Eternal Darkness title would be swell.

And shit, I wish Nintendo would work with Sega to spark a Valkyria Chronicles revival.

#22 Edited by trugs26 (5595 posts) -
@Sphensen said:

Time Splitters

You win the thread!

#23 Posted by superbuuman (2907 posts) -

Sadness, Project Hammer....lol...Ubi need to stop fucking around and release Ghost Recon already..yea whatever happen to that...after all that hype. :P

Zero or Project Zero or Fatal Frame ..Nintendo needs to make sure this get release outside of Japan. :P

#24 Posted by TTUalumni13 (503 posts) -

Kingdoms of Amaleur(sp) maybe? Studio went defunct, had a lot of good ideas just needed some Nintendo polish, and would give them a more western RPG to stand by Xenoblade.

Other than that, more stuff like Fortune Street :) monopoly on crack haha.

#25 Posted by plebegamer (14 posts) -

Buying Bayou Billy and turning it into a Crocodile Dundee X Uncharted type of affair could be cool and right up Nintendo's ally of quirk.

#26 Posted by nini200 (9827 posts) -

@plebegamer said:

Buying Bayou Billy and turning it into a Crocodile Dundee X Uncharted type of affair could be cool and right up Nintendo's ally of quirk.

If only people knew how good that game actually was...

#27 Posted by Coco_pierrot (324 posts) -

@Star0:

PilotWing 64 was already the second game in this serie that died with the cartoon look but I woul totally play Turock again

#28 Edited by Star0 (443 posts) -

@Coco_pierrot: Yeah, I know. I must have been up late x_x Shadowman 2 is also already out. Anyway, you get my drift. Sequels to those series' would be great.

#29 Posted by bunchanumbers (1421 posts) -

F Zero, Captain Rainbow, A HD release of The Twin Snakes would be fantastic. Nintendo could fund Zone of the Enders and work with NB to get the Xenosaga trilogy to Wii U. Otherwise the route they are going right now is great. They need to localize Fatal Frame for the NA market and they need to advertise the hell outta devils third and Bayo 2. Shenmue 3 at this point is like wishing for The Last Guardian so we should just move on from that fantasy. Otherwise trying to convince Sega for a launch version of Persona 5 should be high on their priority list.