Anyone else unimpressed with Hyrule Warriors?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

I played the demo today at Gamestop and felt it got very repetitive, and very boring, very fast.

Basically, you button mash the attack button until you build up your power meter and then you can release a special attack that does more damage. Overall, it just wasn't that much to take in.

I get that it's a demo but still. Controls were a little weird until i figured out you can go to options and switch between Dynasty style controls and Zelda controls.

This is the first Zelda-esque game I've played with two sticks, so I guess the camera angle will just take some time to get used to. I felt it was kind of awkward and that I lost sight of what I was focusing on very quickly, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

Also, since it's a major deal to some people I will say the graphics did not look up to par with current gen games, of course it doesn't match anything on PS4 or Xbone but it's not even close in detail with games like Mario 3D World and DK Tropical Freeze, which both look really nice to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

A better question - who is impressed?

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3  Edited By PikachuDude860
Member since 2014 • 1810 Posts

@jcrame10: Basically, you button mash the attack button until you build up your power meter and then you can release a special attack that does more damage. Overall, it just wasn't that much to take in.

I've played it. I believe it's a bit more than that. Both the X and Y buttons are for combos. (Depends on the control style) Pressing Y after a few hits with X will initiate a combo/special move. Each character has a different play style and special moves. Plus you can dodge roll, lock-on, and use items. You also have various weapons that are exclusive to each character. Each character can also level up, which I believe could unlock more combos. (I think I saw more in the Nintendo Direct)

In other words, from my experience, it's not just a button masher. it is a button masher, but not JUST a button masher.

I have heard that if you play it on hard mode, the enemies will have more life, dodge and attack more, and even juggle you.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jcrame10

@pikachudude860: to be honest I only played as Link. I was just assuming they all more or less play the same and the weapons were just reskinned with a few variations between them.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

I'm still pretty iffy about it. It looks simultaneously bland and exciting. The lore is the only thing catching my attention and I honestly do not feel like dropping $60 for it, especially considering it'll be released a week prior to Smash Bros 3DS for NA. I'll probably borrow it from a friend or buy it when it's cheap.

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By PikachuDude860

@jcrame10: I understand. I was thinking that too. I played as Link and Zelda and Midna. I can tell you that those characters each have different play styles. Link is fast and in your face. Zelda is slower, but somehow has a bigger range of attack, plus can use magic. Midna is a bit of both.

Your right though. The controls did take time to get used to. Plus it has that Dynasty Warriors repetitive feel too it. IMO, this is better than any Dynasty Warriors style game I've ever played.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

it sold badly in japan....it will probably bomb here too. so many agree with you.

im still going to buy it and try it though.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Yea the visuals, said it before Tecmo Koei is no good with visuals. :P ..as for the game its a musou game...either you like it or you don't. At best its a 7/10 game...nothing more. I am getting it tho & the TP costume set..since there's no other game for Wii U till Oct. :P

simuseb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 simuseb2
Member since 2014 • 178 Posts

What did you expect, honestly? It's just a re-skinned dynasty warriors.

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PikachuDude860

@KBFloYd said:

it sold badly in japan....it will probably bomb here too. so many agree with you.

It bombed? Are you sure? I thought it was in the weekly top 10 in Japan? Plus I heard it sold a couple of Wii U units....Wouldn't be surprised though. Home consoles aren't as big in Japan as they used to be.

1 and 2

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

It's failed in Japan, it's going to fail here

It's a Dynasty Warriors clone with no personality.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#12 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69458 Posts

@simuseb2 said:

What did you expect, honestly? It's just a re-skinned dynasty warriors.

I was wondering this myself. Why is ANYONE surprised?

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

Of course it's repetitive. I'm sure based off that, TC has never played Dynasty Warriors 2 or after.

Yeah I'm sure the graphics aren't impressive either. Koei is making the game and they've never been known for amazing graphics.

I'm still getting it just to support a playable Midna, other than that, I don't care for this game. I like Sengoku Basara WAAAYYYYY better than Dynasty Warriors and I think Capcom would have done a better job with a game like this than Koei, Visually and Gameplay wise like Sengoku Basara

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jcrame10

@pikachudude860: I've never played a Dynasty Warriors game so I cant compare. Didnt really know what to expect, either.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jcrame10

@nini200: yeah, never played one. If this is the overall style and feel of the series, it'd probably be a pass for me. I can tolerate DMC and GOW as hack n' slash because of the storylines, but if there is no real point to Hyrule Warriors then I can't imagine myself being engaged in it long enough to finish it.

I feel this game may sell well just because Wii U owners are thirsty for a new game. That's honestly the only reason I even considered picking up a copy because last Wii U game I bought was Mario Kart like many others.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@pikachudude860 said:

@KBFloYd said:

It bombed? Are you sure? I thought it was in the weekly top 10 in Japan? Plus I heard it sold a couple of Wii U units....Wouldn't be surprised though. Home consoles aren't as big in Japan as they used to be.

1 and 2

the first week was great...80k copies sold....wiiU sales went up a lot.

but the 2nd week it just died. 15k copies and wiiU sales back to normal.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 nini200

@jcrame10 said:

@nini200: yeah, never played one. If this is the overall style and feel of the series, it'd probably be a pass for me. I can tolerate DMC and GOW as hack n' slash because of the storylines, but if there is no real point to Hyrule Warriors then I can't imagine myself being engaged in it long enough to finish it.

I feel this game may sell well just because Wii U owners are thirsty for a new game. That's honestly the only reason I even considered picking up a copy because last Wii U game I bought was Mario Kart like many others.

Yeah these type of games I find for more of the inexperienced gamers, fun in short bursts or fun for the multiplayer. Single player usually is dull for these type of games as the combat is not that in depth.

You should try out Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes on Wii. THAT is how this game should have been if they were going with this style. It's a similar style of game as in repetitive but the combat has much more depth and the visuals look better as it's made by Capcom instead of Tecmo Koei.

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By PikachuDude860

@KBFloYd said:

@pikachudude860 said:

@KBFloYd said:

1 and 2

the first week was great...80k copies sold....wiiU sales went up a lot.

but the 2nd week it just died. 15k copies and wiiU sales back to normal.

Ah, yes. I had heard about that. It's sad, but rather impressive considering how home consoles are in Japan right now.

Hey, every little bit helps.

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PikachuDude860

@jcrame10: I see. Well they're generally repetitive, they're pretty cool though. I've played a few of them in my day.

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

I don't expect this game to be any deeper than Double Dragon or Final Fight. Again, it's one of those "turn your brain off" games and just have fun. I'm looking forward to it.

The hordes are there to build up your meter so that you can unleash big attacks. They're not supposed to be challenging enemies. Button mash > build up meter > unleash crazy attack that makes you say "wow, cool!" > and then do it again. The monotony should be broken up by boss battles. The question is how are these paced throughout the game. But even those won't have a lot of depth.

For me, not every game has to be deep or thought provoking. I think this game will be entertaining, even if it is in short bursts, and that's ok with me. I'll have fun just killing thousands of enemies and seeing them flying all over the screen.

dino7c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By dino7c
Member since 2005 • 533 Posts

@KBFloYd said:

you would lol...you are the biggest nintendo fanboy on earth

take that however you want

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

I'm no stranger to the Dynasty and Samurai Warrior games, I'm looking forward to it. The game maps will be littered with classic Zelda bosses, there's a good number of other characters to play as. And I hear there'll be Amiibo support (yet no Amiibos on release). I looks fun, I don't expect it to break any mold but this is a Dynasty/Samurai Warriors style game before it is a Zelda game, don't forget that.

Also, people say "graphics" don't seem to understand that there's a trade-off when you render high amounts of NPCs on an open map isn't going to have characters or environments of higher detail like games that don't have high number of NPCs and instead can invest resources into higher detailed characters and environments.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 nini200
@lamprey263 said:

I'm no stranger to the Dynasty and Samurai Warrior games, I'm looking forward to it. The game maps will be littered with classic Zelda bosses, there's a good number of other characters to play as. And I hear there'll be Amiibo support (yet no Amiibos on release). I looks fun, I don't expect it to break any mold but this is a Dynasty/Samurai Warriors style game before it is a Zelda game, don't forget that.

Also, people say "graphics" don't seem to understand that there's a trade-off when you render high amounts of NPCs on an open map isn't going to have characters or environments of higher detail like games that don't have high number of NPCs and instead can invest resources into higher detailed characters and environments.

No excuse this gen, last gen sure. Capcom managed to have great visuals and a high amount of NPC's on screen with Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes and that was on Wii and PS3.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jcrame10

@lamprey263: eh IDK about that. this game looked REALLY bad at Gamestop, regardless of what's going on during the gameplay it shouldn't have looked as cheap as it did. Compare this to The Division or Last of Us and the average person wouldn't think this was the same time period.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#25  Edited By YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

My expectations for Hyrule Warriors were really low to begin with. The game has shaped up to be more than I thought it was going to be, so I'm moderately impressed with it. Nothing I'm going to be raving about.

Think of it this way: If you have no expectations, you can never be disappointed and everything will surprise you!

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@nini200 said:
@lamprey263 said:

No excuse this gen, last gen sure. Capcom managed to have great visuals and a high amount of NPC's on screen with Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes and that was on Wii and PS3.

Exactly

This game looks horrible. Usually you can't judge a game by it's screenshot, you really need to see it in action. This game looks worse when it's in motion.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

@nini200 said:
@lamprey263 said:

This is a big step up from the quality Samurai Heroes achieved on the Wii with its pixelated 480p display, and it's no worse than the PS3 version. Keep in mind the Wii U isn't that much more powerful than the Xbox 360 or PS3. Real next gen mousu title would probably be something more like Dragon Quest Heroes. The excitement for this game isn't that it's going to push graphics, but it was going to be a Zelda licensed mousu game.

@jcrame10 said:

@lamprey263: eh IDK about that. this game looked REALLY bad at Gamestop, regardless of what's going on during the gameplay it shouldn't have looked as cheap as it did. Compare this to The Division or Last of Us and the average person wouldn't think this was the same time period.

The production budget and development time of games like The Division and Last of Us is going to be a great deal greater than Hyrule Warriors by far. And like I said, a game like Last of Us isn't pushing enemy NPCs numbers into the same level as Hyrule Warriors does, or else it would have to sacrifice other aspects of its graphics to compensate. And the Division is being developed as an Xbox One and PS4 and PC game who have quite a bit more meaty hardware than a Wii U. With less active characters in the environments each one can have a higher polygon count, and have higher resolution textures, whereas something like a typical mosou game can't achieve the same polygon count per NPC and uses lower resolution textures. It's a trade-off in design. Granted, sure it probably could have achieved greater aesthetic value if they put more time and money into this, but this is a Koei Tecmo game after all.

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

Nintendo has been so protective of the Zelda brand for so long and then all of the sudden they let Dynasty Warriors developers incorporate it into their franchise??

Dynasty Warriors has never been a high quality franchises. Its simple dumb fun. I hope the next Zelda collaboration is a little more meaningful.

Do something unpredictable. Let Thatgamecompany developers make a Tingle game in an art style akin to Journey. Let Telltale Games create a point and click adventure to the story leading up to the events in Wind Waker.

Let premium developers play around with your premium Zelda franchise. Its another example of Nintendo sticking with Japanese developers purely because they are from Japan, instead of seeking out unbiased quality.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jcrame10

@thedude-: yes!! Journey is so good, love the soundtrack especially. The art style reminded me so much of Wind Waker, I would love to see that company play around with a Zelda in that similar style. (Gerudo valley desert, anyone?)

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jcrame10

@lamprey263: I just expected better quality from Nintendo I guess. And even if they didn't develop it directly, they could have had a different developer oversee this spin off OR at least cleaned it up with their own higher budget studios. This game looks really weak, hopefully they step their game up with Splatoon, Star Fox and Zelda. I want to see more of those and not be disappointed.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I like Zelda, but I don't care about this Dynasty Warriors Zelda skinned, Hyrule Warriors.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#32 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

I think most people are unimpressed.

There does not seem to be much to it. I will agree with those who said that, as far as collaborations and spin-offs go, Nintendo could have aimed for something far more interesting.

simuseb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By simuseb2
Member since 2014 • 178 Posts

@thedude- said:

Nintendo has been so protective of the Zelda brand for so long and then all of the sudden they let Dynasty Warriors developers incorporate it into their franchise??

Dynasty Warriors has never been a high quality franchises. Its simple dumb fun. I hope the next Zelda collaboration is a little more meaningful.

Do something unpredictable. Let Thatgamecompany developers make a Tingle game in an art style akin to Journey. Let Telltale Games create a point and click adventure to the story leading up to the events in Wind Waker.

Let premium developers play around with your premium Zelda franchise. Its another example of Nintendo sticking with Japanese developers purely because they are from Japan, instead of seeking out unbiased quality.

Yeah I'm not entirely sure what Nintendo was thinking xD

That aside, I think they should have done a collaboration with Retro, or even a company that would be an unusual combination such as Bethesda. Zelda is an IP that happens to appeal to a western audience, so Nintendo needs to take advantage of this. The west is a bigger audience then japan in gaming right now. So collaborate with developers who know how to make video games for a western audience.

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

@jcrame10 We know they can create a dessert! Instead we get N64 graphics and repetitive slashing.

@simuseb2 Retro seems like a better fit for big 3d worlds as opposed to side scrolling platformers.

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#35 CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts

Not really, I'd try it out for myself.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points