Anyone else have problems finding people w/ streetpass?

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by sailor232 (5014 posts) -

I recently bought my 3ds in aticipation for both Mario games coming soon. I've taken my system with me everywere, to the busiest of places (shopping malls, train stations, gaming stores and electronic stores, cafe's etc) but cannot get any street pass hits. My g/f has one also so I only get visits from her lol, so I know it works.

I live in NZ and I know that will be the problem, kind of wondering if even in another country like US or Europe, is it still difficult to street pass with people?. How many hits do you guys get on average??

#2 Posted by Pixel-Perfect (5778 posts) -

I've probably gotten around 8 hits since launch day.

#3 Posted by sailor232 (5014 posts) -

So outside of Japan the street pass is a flop. Still cool to muck around with though.

#4 Posted by Pixel-Perfect (5778 posts) -

So outside of Japan the street pass is a flop. Still cool to muck around with though.

sailor232

So far I guess. I should mention that seven of those happened after the launch of Super Mario Land 3D. :P

#5 Posted by moltenix (2487 posts) -

So far i've gotten 207 streetpass tags (65 different people). I'm a university student and pretty much all of my tags are from walking around campus. I usually run into the same few people and occasionally meet someone new which I never end up seeing again.

Outside of campus though, pretty much no people carry around a 3DS it seems. :P

#6 Posted by Pixel-Perfect (5778 posts) -

So far i've gotten 207 streetpass tags (65 different people).

moltenix

:o

#7 Posted by Rod90 (7266 posts) -
I have like 8 or 9 tags, all from different people and all from different places. I've had my system since Zelda launched.
#8 Posted by KiD_ReMiX (254 posts) -

I have less than 10. I don't even bother carrying my 3DS around anymore. I think we might get more hits next year as more people buy the system. At least, that's my hope.

#9 Posted by yoshi_64 (25261 posts) -
I have over 191 StreetPass tags and 217 Tags (meaning I met the same people multiple times.) If you're looking for streetpasses, there are people who do community events to set up for these things, but you should also consider that only about what... 7 million people have 3DS (almost) in the U.S. We're a larger country than Japan, we also are more spread out. This is a location based thing, but I also have to admit I get mostly all my tags from work. I work at Disneyland, so I have Miis from all over the world.
#10 Posted by sailor232 (5014 posts) -

Wow, its great to know it works in a lot of places, maybe I should hang out at the universities. I'll keep trying and hopefully will get a few hits.

#11 Posted by crispyo (1801 posts) -
i got like 5 and i've had it for less than 2 months.
#12 Posted by Kenny789 (10270 posts) -
Got 2 tags and both are foreigners visiting the country. Went to Malaysia for holiday and only got 1 tag after walking around for 5 days and he happens to be American. Where are all you Asian 3DS owners?! :P
#13 Posted by Spinnerweb (2944 posts) -

Zero. :o

Guess I'm the only person from miles around to have a 3DS. I DID have it imported, after all.

(Does it make you picture a shadowy guy walking in the desert? :P )

#14 Posted by Kaze_no_Mirai (11568 posts) -
I have about 35 tags and they've all been in the past 4 months. I work in a Starbucks right in the middle of Hollywood where the walk of fame is and I usually get them when I'm walking there. Outside of that I've gotten a hit at Costco and a few at GameStop when I went to pick up Mario :P
#15 Posted by free_milk (3903 posts) -

Is it easy to find people with street pass if your in england?

Also does the street pass findy thing work inside a train going underground?

#16 Posted by TankZorz (1836 posts) -

free_milk
Yes, if other people on the train have one.
#17 Posted by logicalfrank (1641 posts) -

Yeah, I would expect to get more than I do. I have gotten a couple dozen but I take crowded busses and trains to work every day, work in a high rise, walk past a university on the way to work and take daily strolls through a crowded park weather allowing. I keep it w/ me pretty much always (well over a million steps and counting) and still get relatively few all things considered. I expect it to pick up a bit after Christmas and have noticed after software updates and such, I tend to get a few more than usual so we'll see.

#18 Posted by BigBen11111 (1528 posts) -

I live on a pretty bad street, so I don't go out often. I had my 3DS since it launched, & I yet to make any tags.

#19 Posted by yoshi_64 (25261 posts) -

free_milk
It should definitely work, because the 3DS sends the signal and receives, unlike a cellphone which receives signals only from an outside source. It could be a little limited or possibly not as fast maybe, but if you're all in a train together, it shouldn't be a problem.
#20 Posted by logicalfrank (1641 posts) -

How close do you have to be to someone in order for the street pass to register?

#21 Posted by Noname81 (186 posts) -

Street Pass is pretty much worthless for me. I've only gotten one since I bought it, and I've had mine since release day. But that's because I live out in the middle of nowhere. The only busy places around here is the mall and Wal-Mart.

#22 Posted by TankZorz (1836 posts) -

How close do you have to be to someone in order for the street pass to register?

logicalfrank
I believe it's 90 feet. Give or take a bit depending on your surroundings.
#23 Posted by logicalfrank (1641 posts) -

[QUOTE="logicalfrank"]

TankZorz

I'd definitely think I'd get more street passes than I do then. I must walk w/in ninety feet of a couple thousand people each day. I'd be really curious if someone did some experiments as to how sensitive it was... Like if someone is stopped next to you at a traffic light or if they're in the floor above you in a building if that registers.

#24 Posted by TankZorz (1836 posts) -

[QUOTE="TankZorz"][QUOTE="logicalfrank"]

logicalfrank

I'd definitely think I'd get more street passes than I do then. I must walk w/in ninety feet of a couple thousand people each day. I'd be really curious if someone did some experiments as to how sensitive it was... Like if someone is stopped next to you at a traffic light or if they're in the floor above you in a building if that registers.

99% of people you pass probably don't have a 3ds and the rest may not have their 3ds with them or may not have it turned on. I got my first streetpass while driving down the freeway so as long as the conditions are right, you may only have to be near them for a few seconds.
#25 Posted by yoshi_64 (25261 posts) -

logicalfrank
It's a normal Wi-Fi signal, I imagine that maybe if there's no wireless interference, the same distance your 3DS would take to connect to a router... I don't have any numbers but I'd estimate 20-30 feet maybe...? :P
#26 Posted by sailor232 (5014 posts) -

How long does the streetpass take to pop up in the system, like as soon as you walk past someone, does it straight away alert you that you have a hit?? or does it take some time? ( like 30minutes).

#27 Posted by charizard1605 (60315 posts) -
I have eight tags. I got one of them from walking around campus, and seven of them when I decided to take my 3DS to the state fair with me on a whim. It's an interesting feature, but it'll be useless until more people decide to purchase and then actively use the 3DS.
#28 Posted by yoshi_64 (25261 posts) -
[QUOTE="charizard1605"]I have eight tags. I got one of them from walking around campus, and seven of them when I decided to take my 3DS to the state fair with me on a whim. It's an interesting feature, but it'll be useless until more people decide to purchase and then actively use the 3DS.

I think it's an awesome feature, but then again you folks don't seem to work in a high traffic area like I do. I've noticed my StreetPasses increase over and over... Also, I must say... does anyone know of a glitch in StreetPass for the Mii Plaza? Not sure if anyone has heard, but my system will take more than the 10 streetpasses. In fact for Mii Plaza it says it will do up to 99 of them. Problem is, after 10 tags (the normal amount) it crashes the system if I try to fire up Mii Plaza. I hope Nintendo's November update fixes this...
#29 Posted by sailor232 (5014 posts) -

WTH! I havnt heard of that glitch before. I hope the update fixes that for you. Well I'm glad some people get a lot of hits, lets hope as the system gets into more hands most of us will get more street passes, more multiplaying.

#30 Posted by yoshi_64 (25261 posts) -

WTH! I havnt heard of that glitch before. I hope the update fixes that for you. Well I'm glad some people get a lot of hits, lets hope as the system gets into more hands most of us will get more street passes, more multiplaying.

sailor232
I'll try taking a picture next time it happens. Right now I have no StreetPass Miis, but I'm sure I'll get some when I go back to work Wednesday. I on average seem to get about 5-8 in a single day depending on how long I work or how many people just bring their 3DSes. I have seen the average amount of people I've obtained grow though. in the last month I received about 47 Miis out of my 191 total (unique Miis) in the month and about 7 of them were repeat tags with some people at work who bring theirs (though I don't know who most are) and a few random guests who've visited multiple times at Disneyland. So if you ever go to the Disneyland Resort, I say bring your 3DS, you'll no doubt get many. Since I have to stay in one location, I probably don't get a bigger chance like most people would if they walk around.
#31 Posted by ZIVX (2981 posts) -

I've seen less than 10 3DS in public :(

#32 Posted by fer- (318 posts) -
for it to become viable in the states I think they need to create android and ios apps that allow you to get streetpass hits as well and then have them sync to your ds.. that would work I suspect as it stands I just don't see it taking off here at all :/
#33 Posted by logicalfrank (1641 posts) -

[QUOTE="logicalfrank"]

[QUOTE="TankZorz"] I believe it's 90 feet. Give or take a bit depending on your surroundings.TankZorz

99% of people you pass probably don't have a 3ds and the rest may not have their 3ds with them or may not have it turned on. I got my first streetpass while driving down the freeway so as long as the conditions are right, you may only have to be near them for a few seconds.

Well if 99% of people I pass don't have one, that still makes dozens per day given the number of people I run across... I actually suspect that it is mostly that people leave them at home. I have noticed that after big updates, like the first one which made the eStore available and when the ambassor titles came out, I got a small handful of tags the the next day and then higher than normal for a week or so after, which I assume because people got excited about them and brought their 3DSs along instead of leaving them at home.

#34 Posted by yoshi_64 (25261 posts) -

How long does the streetpass take to pop up in the system, like as soon as you walk past someone, does it straight away alert you that you have a hit?? or does it take some time? ( like 30minutes).

sailor232

It takes only a few seconds if at that. It does them one at a time, and the moment one pass finishes, it goes to the next one. Your light will blink for every pass that goes on, but the 3DS doesn't parallel download these things, so it takes them in one at a time until it meets up. My assumption, and this is based off what I noticed when I was at the Zelda symphony concert where my 3DS was exploding with passes, is that it merely looks for what data is sent and retrieved.

Since you're only able to share up to 15 different games (and so far I have like what... four things that street pass on my 3DS?), the size of data is probably not more than a Megabyte, or more probably, if at that. I'm sure it's relatively low, and happens very quickly, but it will take a few seconds for it to go through. Basically, the 3DS will just look at what games you both have, send the data over and be done. Any data you don't receive is a result of you not having the game pretty much on your file for sharing and vice versa. It's super quick though, you can get many passes from multiple people in just a minute or two. I've had times where I received something like 5 Mii StreetPass tags in the same minute.

#35 Posted by vtbob88 (638 posts) -

I have had mine since launch and I think I have around 100 passes, a good amount less tags just because I have passed several people multiple times. I usually pass people while walking around the malls or when walking around downtown, I live in central Virginia and wasn't really expecting as many people as I have passed

#36 Posted by sailor232 (5014 posts) -

[QUOTE="sailor232"]

yoshi_64

It takes only a few seconds if at that. It does them one at a time, and the moment one pass finishes, it goes to the next one. Your light will blink for every pass that goes on, but the 3DS doesn't parallel download these things, so it takes them in one at a time until it meets up. My assumption, and this is based off what I noticed when I was at the Zelda symphony concert where my 3DS was exploding with passes, is that it merely looks for what data is sent and retrieved.

Since you're only able to share up to 15 different games (and so far I have like what... four things that street pass on my 3DS?), the size of data is probably not more than a Megabyte, or more probably, if at that. I'm sure it's relatively low, and happens very quickly, but it will take a few seconds for it to go through. Basically, the 3DS will just look at what games you both have, send the data over and be done. Any data you don't receive is a result of you not having the game pretty much on your file for sharing and vice versa. It's super quick though, you can get many passes from multiple people in just a minute or two. I've had times where I received something like 5 Mii StreetPass tags in the same minute.

Thanks for this, I didnt know anything about it so very helpful.

#37 Posted by PoisoN_Facecam0 (3734 posts) -
i get a couple hits everyday usually.. I live in a pretty small city in Canada... I manage a locally owned game shop though.. so it kinda makes sense :P
#38 Posted by sailor232 (5014 posts) -

i get a couple hits everyday usually.. I live in a pretty small city in Canada... I manage a locally owned game shop though.. so it kinda makes sense :PPoisoN_Facecam0

Do people come in all the time with their 3ds'. It would be interesting to see how many people have them and carry them around. Do you share friend codes with them?

#39 Posted by PoisoN_Facecam0 (3734 posts) -

[QUOTE="PoisoN_Facecam0"]i get a couple hits everyday usually.. I live in a pretty small city in Canada... I manage a locally owned game shop though.. so it kinda makes sense :Psailor232

Do people come in all the time with their 3ds'. It would be interesting to see how many people have them and carry them around. Do you share friend codes with them?

well there's about 3 people who work there who have 3ds's as well.. i don't actually carry my 3DS with me i have it in my messenger bag.. I don't really give my friend code out to randoms that just walk in.. a few of the regulars though..
#40 Posted by glimpus (2306 posts) -

i live in a relatively small area so i havent found anyone on it yet. i assume itll happen at some point, i just want one hit damnit! ;)

#41 Posted by Master_Of_Fools (1406 posts) -

I have had my 3DS since launch day and I only have 1, lol. Outside Japan most people dont carry it around. Unless your a kid bring it to school you might get some lol.

#42 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

Since I got my 3DS on October 25th I only found one person on Streetpass and it was when I went to Gettysburg on November 12th. That person was I guess on a field trip because they were from New York. That is the only person I found using Streetpass.

#44 Posted by Nozizaki (1471 posts) -

My first 3DS had 300+ street pass tags, that one was stolen however. My new one has 20 (Same couple people, everyday). If you're looking for tags, go to an Anime convention, if you keep cycling through groups of 10, you can get 100+ in a day.

#45 Posted by hotdiddykong (2048 posts) -

Now, i have a college with a Anime and Video game club so everyday of college i get people.

Back then it was hard, only like 2-3 people in my neighborhood.

#46 Posted by BigBen11111 (1528 posts) -

At first since launch of 3DS I had never gotten any streetpass tags, until this past Tuesday I finnally got some tags. Maybe When I got either pass by the school or at McDonald's? it was a nice surprise when I found some people in my area that actually do play the 3DS. I was beginning to wonder if I was the only 1 in my neighborhood with a 3DS.

#47 Posted by Nintendo_Fan128 (4250 posts) -

I live in Rio de Janeiro and have never found anyone with streetpass outside video game events... actually, I found one once, and it was a foreigner xD And it wasn't even here in Rio, I was on vacation in another place here. Which's an even larger city...

#48 Posted by Sindy3ds (1 posts) -
Add me on 3ds 117764328059 my 3ds name is sindy
#49 Posted by nintendofreak_2 (25896 posts) -

I've gotten about 100 people since I got mine last year. I try my best to carry mine with me when I know I'll be going somewhere, but even then I usually don't get more than a person or two even if I take it to the outlet malls or anything like that near me. I can occassionally get someone other than my roommate on campus too, but nobody ever has any pieces. :(

#50 Posted by Wanderer5 (25726 posts) -

I have 468 tags.:P Going to Anime AX and Disneyland in the last couple years helped a lot lol.