Any1 know any POWERFUL routers?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sunsrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 sunsrock
Member since 2006 • 63 Posts
My Nintendo Wii is about 175 feet from my router and computer and the signal doesnt reach. Does any1 know of any wireless routers with a powerful range? my current router Dlink DI-614+ b.
Newsboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#2 Newsboy
Member since 2004 • 6534 Posts
I have a Linksys WRT54G and it's about 50 feet away from my Wii. Also, it's on the second story of my house and it goes through a few walls to get to my Wii and I've never had a problem with it. I recommend it.
ZeldaMAN95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 ZeldaMAN95
Member since 2006 • 751 Posts
  linksys
nintendogamer6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 nintendogamer6
Member since 2006 • 1772 Posts
Yea Linksys is the way to go as far as quality
MiiforWii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MiiforWii
Member since 2007 • 1012 Posts
Linksys...
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts
You're going to need more then the standard router, I'd also stay away from Linksys unless you know for usre it's going to work. Their quality has been slowly going downhill.

You want to look for a quality MIMO router, you need something to give it that extra "oomph" throw walls and such in your place.

HERE

There's a MIMO router, it's going to set you back a little bit more but then again you're in a unique situation here.

If you can wait you might want to wait until the routers that offer 802.11N come out.
You'll see lots of routers that say "Pre-N" or "Draft-N"
Don't get either one of those since their ability to be upgraded to the set 802.11N standard is iffy for all of them.

If you need a router now though go with a MIMO, check around for reviews and applications
thegame458

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 thegame458
Member since 2006 • 1326 Posts
I believe NETGEAR might have some routers that can do the job
Newsboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Newsboy
You're going to need more then the standard router, I'd also stay away from Linksys unless you know for usre it's going to work. Their quality has been slowly going downhill.

You want to look for a quality MIMO router, you need something to give it that extra "oomph" throw walls and such in your place.

HERE

There's a MIMO router, it's going to set you back a little bit more but then again you're in a unique situation here.

If you can wait you might want to wait until the routers that offer 802.11N come out.
Don't get either one of those since their ability to be upgraded to the set 802.11N standard is iffy for all of them.

If you need a router now though go with a MIMO, check around for reviews and applications
Jaysonguy
Since when has Sysco Systems been slipping in quality?
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]You're going to need more then the standard router, I'd also stay away from Linksys unless you know for usre it's going to work. Their quality has been slowly going downhill.

HERE

Newsboy

We're talking Linksys
For the home market their quality has been dropping each and every year.
When I have to deal with bad setups there's a Linksys router at the end of the cable most often.

The problem is that they made a name for themselves and then rested on it instead of advancing like the other brands, because of that the other companies caught up.
Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts
[QUOTE="Newsboy"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]You're going to need more then the standard router, I'd also stay away from Linksys unless you know for usre it's going to work. Their quality has been slowly going downhill.

HERE

Jaysonguy

We're talking Linksys
When I have to deal with bad setups there's a Linksys router at the end of the cable most often.

The problem is that they made a name for themselves and then rested on it instead of advancing like the other brands, because of that the other companies caught up.

All I can say is that I have had no problem with it in terms of range and download speed. I have never once lost a signal.
Newsboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Newsboy
[QUOTE="Newsboy"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]You're going to need more then the standard router, I'd also stay away from Linksys unless you know for usre it's going to work. Their quality has been slowly going downhill.

HERE

Jaysonguy

We're talking Linksys

If we're talking Linksys, we're talking Sysco Systems because they are one and the same.
davis_amw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 davis_amw
Member since 2004 • 417 Posts
You could go with the one we have at the office - SonicWall. But those are really expensive. It has the best wireless range ive ever seen in a wireless router. We used to have to plug in repeaters (signal amplifiers) around the office to get it to reach everyone. Now we don't with the SonicWall. 
x10d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 x10d
Member since 2005 • 49 Posts

You could also buy a higher gain antenna. Or even a directional one if the situation fits. I know there are some directions for making your own antenna on the net somewhere. Do a search for "Cantenna" and you should be able to find something.

Also, you could consider getting a router that supports DD-WRT (http://www.dd-wrt.com), a Linux based open source firmware. DD-WRT will be much more advanced than the firmware from the manufacturer. In particular you can increase the output power of the router. I would only go this route if you know something about wireless networking and aren't afraid of installing someone else's firmware over the manufacturers.

mgfarmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mgfarmer
Member since 2004 • 392 Posts

If the only thing you need your router for is the wii and 1 pc then go with netgear. Its cheaper and just as good. I have had no problems with mine, and this is what was recommended by the pc tech at the store.

Shirley_Temple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 Shirley_Temple
Member since 2006 • 5927 Posts

Um, a little off-topic, but a hundred and seventy-five feet?!  What? Are living out in a tool shed or something?

I'm guessing guest house.

You can buy a signal booster.  increases the range dramatically.

gzmask

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 gzmask
Member since 2005 • 138 Posts
I am using this one too. it sux. don't buy this one my laptop lost connect every 30 seconds and my wii have to download any system updatas more than 3 tries.
firebirdboi06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

#18 firebirdboi06
Member since 2004 • 189 Posts
The Airport Extreme from Apple is very powerful, supports 802.11n wireless, has no outer antennas, and is 6.5x6.5x1.3, not to mention it also fits the Wii look. Here's a full list of specs: http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/specs.html
Dust24311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 Dust24311
Member since 2004 • 1215 Posts
I need to ask one important question: Who are you stealing wireless internet from, because that is the only reason to have a 175ft reach... that or you live in a mansion. People are right on about Apple Airport Extreme, and anything supporting Draft-N. 175 feet is going to be a stretch even with draft N though, but it should work. You can always get a range booster and place it closer to the source.
sunsrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 sunsrock
Member since 2006 • 63 Posts
sorry, i thought it was 175 ft. but it is 125 ft to my gameroom from my router. I dont have internet for my wii right now.

I was thinking about buying this router http://reviews.cnet.com/Netgear_WPN824_router/4505-3319_7-31312124.html
XxZetaxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 XxZetaxX
Member since 2007 • 271 Posts
LINKSYs works well for me