Any one else disappointed with Pokemon X&Y?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GAJY_FILTH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 GAJY_FILTH
Member since 2003 • 112 Posts

I was expecting some big innovation, new graphics, new gameplay and maybe an in depth story this time. I haven't played Pokemon since red&blue, I tried Gold&Silver but they felt like more of the same and bored me and so I thought X&Y was the time to come back. It's still the exact same game, just with nicer graphics, the sounds on everything but Pikachu still suck, the story is still basically non existent and what is there is crap...

When are they ever going to change the series? Just make a full sized Pokemon MMO on the Wii U already, it's what people have wanted for years and years now. I dunno what it is like in Japan but in the western world people don't trade Pokemon in real life, hell I don't even see people playing a 3DS out in public, most people play them at home. It's time to move it all online tbh...

I wish Nintendo would make that move in general because far too many of their games are local multiplayer only. I have Nintendo land on the Wii U that I cannot play because it's all local and tbh being 25, it's a hard sell to get mates to come over to play that :\ Most of the time they stay at their house, I stay at mine and we play online shooters or racers, we don't go to each others houses to play games.... mainly cause their wives moan lol.

It's time for innovation with Pokemon Nintendo, X&Y is the same crap with a new face.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Pokemon is online, I've been playing my Mom online since 2006 so unless your browser is REALLY laggy I'm going to say you're wrong

You want an MMO? Pick another game

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I guess it's hard to change the series in the way you're thinking, because the current method sells so much, implying that people want this kind of game. So the core of Pokemon has remained the same. But to those invested in the series, they can see the differences between games.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

Woah... are we playing the same game? Did you even try to use the Player Search System (PSS) on your touchscreen?

I've traded pokemon over 150 times in X & Y and NONE of them were locally. Most of them were with random people from across the world. I've been challenged to battle players from Australia, Japan, and Germany. None of them were on my friend list. Pokemon X & Y has more online features than local. Pokemon has been online for years. It's obvious that you barely played the game.

If you want to see the real changes made in Pokemon, try competitive battles. Read about EVs and IVs. Start breeding for that perfect pokemon. You'll find yourself in a much deeper experience that was only able to flourish thanks to online.

DonkeyBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By DonkeyBrains
Member since 2013 • 38 Posts

A Pokemon MMO isn't as great an idea as people think it is. The formula benefits from having a focused storyline, because you can catch a bunch of Pokemon in the wild, but what would you do with them unless there's a storyline to fight the gyms and the antagonists? Farm Bidoof camps outside of town for hours? No. My only problem with the game right now is that the post-game is pretty lackluster. That Battle Maison thing is boring and there's almost nothing else, no new island to explore or anything.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#6 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

The only disappointing thing is the shortness of the story mode, the limited post-game, and how easy it was.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#7 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

I don't think Nintendo will ever do a full-fledged Pokemon title on the home consoles.

The fact the franchise's main games are exclusive to their handheld systems moves a whole lot of hardware. They are probably, and rightly, worried that making a big Pokemon game on their home consoles would harm the sales of the handheld Pokemon and, eventually, their handheld system.

hotdiddykong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 hotdiddykong
Member since 2007 • 2099 Posts

Your dissapointed because its not an MMO?

Pokemon just doesnt seem like the series to be an MMO despite how much people want it to be. Its a turn based RPG and making it into MMO just wont work and will ruin the purpose, thats why we have alternatives with the various spin offs.

They did try a 3D console style , Colleseum and Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness, yes i agree they should make more of THAT, but it seems Pokemon is a major Handheld series especially with its name being Pocket Monsters in Japan. Who knows, maybe itll happen in the future, we'll have to wait and see and enjoy their hardwork on X and Y which they did.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#9  Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I was disappointed by the lack of new Pokemon. I dub the majority of the new designs, but the fact that there's only 68 new ones is kind of bad. Other than that, I've enjoyed the 40 hours I've spent with it so far. Might actually move on to another game soon, but I will definitely return to it in the future.

Although it still has the series standard of taking away good features... For every game in the series that brought something new, it seems like they took something away, for whatever dumb reason.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11512 Posts

There have been a ridiculous amount of changes to the battle system since you last played, but you just haven't looked deep enough to notice them. Go check out the smogon community and then come back here. The depth of this series is incredible and they only make it more complex with each new entry.

At its core, Pokemon is a competitive RPG with an extremely dedicated fanbase.

widdowson91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 149

User Lists: 7

#11 widdowson91
Member since 2008 • 1249 Posts

Pokemon is one of those series, in my opinion, which would seriously suffer from a big game play shake up. The series is great as it is, and has been tweaked to almost perfection over the years. I'm really enjoying Y, but I haven't played it in a few days (thanks to work and Shenmue II taking up my time).

Avatar image for JYoungin20years
JYoungin20years

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JYoungin20years
Member since 2005 • 361 Posts

tc = troll

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

@Minishdriveby: yes, agreed.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19541 Posts

I don't think I agree with the TC on any of his points.

This is by far the most online the series has ever been - there's a full trading and battle system, wonder trades, O-powers, game chat, the new safari park...the only thing it is missing is some sort of tournament system. The online functionality is rock solid.

As for making a Pokemon MMO...I personally don't see how it would work. They couldn't just lump all of the continents together without there being serious pacing problems and a complete lack of difficulty for the vast majority of the content. Alternatively, they could try to string out the content by slowing down xp gain...but that would just kill the sense of progression. Also, would they still have NPC trainers attacking every player thay walks past? They couldn't just have players challenging each other, as that would lead to trolling/unfun situations for people who just like to collect Pokemon/terrible experiences for the younger audiences.

And so on and so on. It's no easy task, and I can't think of a way of making it work without changing a *lot* of the core gameplay that keels the series popular in the first place.

helwa1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 helwa1988
Member since 2007 • 2157 Posts

Having been a pokemon purist who thought blue/red was the only worthy pokemon game and thought 151 pokemon was the only pokemon that mattered. I have to say pokemon x/y is freaking awesome. The last pokemon game I played was pearl and I didn't even finish the game because I got bored and I thought it was lame. I didn't even bother with black/white.

The graphics are pretty sweet for x/y. Plus I'm actually enjoying the pokemon.

Definitely more creative than the last gen. No ice cream cone or trash bag pokemon.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ANIMEguy10034

@helwa1988 said:

Definitely more creative than the last gen. No ice cream cone or trash bag pokemon.

How far are you into the game? Just asking because many people are hating on one particular new pokemon. :P

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts

I love how they made it easier and friendly to EV train so people like me could get into the competitive scene. Though I wish 4 player multi battles were easier to get into.

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#18 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts

I wasn't a huge fan of R/S/E, D/P/Pt, B/W, and B2/W2 and I wasn't afraid to rant about how they all felt the same. X/Y was different though, I loved Y and couldn't stop playing! It might just be the updated visuals but the game felt "fresh" to me. I liked seeing all the old Pokemon look nice and not have to deal with so many new Pokemon. I may differ from the norm on that one though since it seems quite a few are disappointed at the low number of new Pokemon; I thought it was the sweet spot. Not so many that the game ignores the old Pokemon and not so few that I'm uninterested in them.

JYoungin20years

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JYoungin20years

@Kenny789: I didnt know that 164 new pokemon is a low amount.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ANIMEguy10034

@JYoungin20years said:

164 new pokemon? Where did you get that number from? :S

From Chespin to Zygarde, there's 69 new pokemon. Mega evolutions don't count. There may be some event legendaries we have not discovered yet. It's still more or less 70 new pokemon, no where near 164.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By turtlethetaffer

@JYoungin20years: Excuse me? Where are you getting 164 from?

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 turtlethetaffer

@JYoungin20years: Excuse me? Where are you getting 164 from?

Avatar image for Soulreavercross
Soulreavercross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#23  Edited By Soulreavercross
Member since 2003 • 19890 Posts

@JYoungin20years said:

69 new pokemon is an even lower amount. Minus the mega evolutions

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Chickan_117
Member since 2009 • 16327 Posts

I first played Red/Blue then Black/White and now X/Y. Whilst I liked the online components of Black/White I was disappointed that, from a SP perspective, it felt like pretty much the same game.

With X/Y I had a similar feeling at first but it quickly changed. The graphics are still well below where they should be for a current title. A great improvement for a Pokemon game but poor when compared against everything else.

The SP story is awful and the difficulty is laughable. I'm not at the end yet (gym 7) but I can one hit kill most things and I don't think I've had more than 5 or 6 pokemon faint the entire game.

That said, X/Y is exactly the upgrade I'd hoped. The mini games, training and PSS system on the bottom works really well and the extra in game content is fantastic. They've made it easier for people to play online together and even circumvented the whole friendcode exchange.

So, for me, I think they've provided just the right amount if innovation to revitalise the series whilst staying true to what pokemon is so that hardcore fans of the series aren't disappointed.

In other news... can anyone tell me why my PC is called Cassius' PC?

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ANIMEguy10034

@Chickan_117 said:

In other news... can anyone tell me why my PC is called Cassius' PC?

That's the person who made the PC system in Kalos. It's sort of Pokemon tradition. Every region has a different person in charge of the PC (Bill for Kanto, Amanita for Unova, etc).

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Chickan_117
Member since 2009 • 16327 Posts

Oh, thanks. Is that something they xplained and I missed it or is it Pokemon lore?

JYoungin20years

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JYoungin20years

164 new pokemon i got from a user in the site of pokemasters. Theres way more than just 69 new pokemon.

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

@GAJY_FILTH said:

I was expecting some big innovation, new graphics, new gameplay and maybe an in depth story this time. I haven't played Pokemon since red&blue, I tried Gold&Silver but they felt like more of the same and bored me and so I thought X&Y was the time to come back. It's still the exact same game, just with nicer graphics, the sounds on everything but Pikachu still suck, the story is still basically non existent and what is there is crap...

When are they ever going to change the series? Just make a full sized Pokemon MMO on the Wii U already, it's what people have wanted for years and years now. I dunno what it is like in Japan but in the western world people don't trade Pokemon in real life, hell I don't even see people playing a 3DS out in public, most people play them at home. It's time to move it all online tbh...

I wish Nintendo would make that move in general because far too many of their games are local multiplayer only. I have Nintendo land on the Wii U that I cannot play because it's all local and tbh being 25, it's a hard sell to get mates to come over to play that :\ Most of the time they stay at their house, I stay at mine and we play online shooters or racers, we don't go to each others houses to play games.... mainly cause their wives moan lol.

It's time for innovation with Pokemon Nintendo, X&Y is the same crap with a new face.

Oh wow you're so out of touch with Pokemon players today and are acting like you are the world.

1) Pokemon trading, locally, is still very popular in the west

2) Pokemon X/Y do have new graphics and new gameplay. The changed the EXP share, added mega evolutions and everything is 3D. What more do you want?

3) Online in X/Y is much better than most of Nintendo's online console games. Its pretty darn good.

4) a Poke-MMO would go against everything the series stands for and wouldn't be anymore "full size" than X/Y. Heck, X/Y are more "full size" games than half the games released for consoles at retail usually

5) I get like 20+ streetpasses a day at my university and see plenty of 3DS systems out. Sorry that you're in an area without that.

6) Once again, X/Y isn't the "same crap", it has a bunch of changes to the core Poke-formula.

7) Did you finish the game? The whole thing with that one Pokemon and that one tall dude in the end was somewhat new for the series but Pokemon have never really needed serious stories. What would they even add to make it different? Child abductions?

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ANIMEguy10034

@JYoungin20years:

This "user in a site of pokemasters" has no idea what he or she is talking about.

Go to Google and search for the amount of new pokemon in X and Y. You'll find multiple sources with the same answer. If you doubt them, go complete the pokedex and count all the new pokemon. Remember than any pokemon below #650 (Chespin) is not a new pokemon.

@Chickan_117:

I think they mention it. I don't remember exactly. It's something very easy to miss.

JYoungin20years

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 JYoungin20years

@ANIMEguy10034: actually those sources are wrong. theres over 800 pokemon now.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By turtlethetaffer

@JYoungin20years: Trolling? Must be. Think about how many fanatical Pokemon players are out there. If there were over 800 Pokemon right now, it would be EVERYWHERE, not just some randomly misinformed site.

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#32 Essian
Member since 2007 • 3444 Posts

In my mind there is only one thing they need to add, and please tell me if it's here and I missed it... for the LOVE OF GOD, give us more than one save slot...

JYoungin20years

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By JYoungin20years

@turtlethetaffer: so take it up with him, not with me.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ANIMEguy10034

@JYoungin20years: We can't take you seriously if you continue to say blatantly wrong information without any kind of proof, even though we know you're wrong because there's no proof of there being over 800 pokemon in X and Y besides to what some random person in a random site says.

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#35  Edited By Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts

@JYoungin20years said:

I didn't know there was 164 new Pokemon in the game. I won't bother repeating what numerous people have already told you, the number of new Pokemon is relatively low compared to the other games. That is it, there is no more and no less.

JYoungin20years

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By JYoungin20years

i live how anime states his case without researching the true amount of new pokemon and argues his case to kake itvseem like everyone besides him is wring when wctually it is hikself that ris wrong. i trust peopke who i know iver over someone who thinks hes so smart that he doesnt know the true total amount if pokemon in the x and y gakes and bekieves whatever he is told by shoddy sources.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#37 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

@JYoungin20years said:

i live how anime states his case without researching the true amount of new pokemon and argues his case to kake itvseem like everyone besides him is wring when wctually it is hikself that ris wrong. i trust peopke who i know iver over someone who thinks hes so smart that he doesnt know the true total amount if pokemon in the x and y gakes and bekieves whatever he is told by shoddy sources.

"I have no reliable sources, so I'll use some bullshit anecdotal 'evidence' and some terrible spelling"

JYoungin20years

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By JYoungin20years

@Blabadon: juat admit yoyre wrobg aboyt their only beibg 69 new oikemin. have you evceb playted the game ti see if im right?

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By turtlethetaffer

@JYoungin20years: Give us a link to the site where it says there's 800 Pokemon altogether.

JYoungin20years

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By JYoungin20years

@turtlethetaffer: sure thing. go tbto www.pokemasters.net/forums/ and go to the x and y section. read the post by Darkestlight.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 turtlethetaffer

@JYoungin20years: That comment about there being 164 new Pokemon is wrong, AND it was made about a month (give or take a few days) before the game came out. there are 68 confirmed new Pokemon, probably a bit more with event Pokemon, assuming we aren't counting megas. But even then I don't think there's 164 new ones.

johnny8181

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#42  Edited By johnny8181
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

@helwa1988: As if you justknow that X and Y are more creative than Black and White. There's no need to try B&W, because one look at them should sum up their quality. Stop wasting oxygen.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#43 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

@johnny8181 said:

@helwa1988: As if you justknow that X and Y are more creative than Black and White. There's no need to try B&W, because one look at them should sum up their quality. Stop wasting oxygen.

This thread is old, get over it. They're pieces of plastic.