An idea for Gamefreak

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheManofTin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheManofTin
Member since 2011 • 395 Posts

Why doesn't Gamefreak re-release the old Pokemon games on the Nintendo e-shop and implement/alter date to make the Pokemon of those games transferable to the Pokemon Bank? It's not even a stretch to say this would be an easy feature to add, not to mention it would make Gamefreak/Nintendo truckloads of money. Imagine being able to have your Pikachu in Pokemon Yellow right by your side in your adventure in Kalos. Plus, the few 18 year old cartridges that are still kicking aren't going to last much longer. Heck, my Pokemon Sapphire and Firered are both dead. This solution would be an easy fix.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#2 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

Nintendo is a difficult company to predict when it comes to the re-releasing of older games. On the one hand, Nintendo has re-released many classic NES, SNES and N64 games multiple times and in multiple formats, and they even re-released several hit Gamecube games on the more popular Wii. On the other hand, Nintendo seems much less interested in giving you the original game, when they can 'update' the game and give you a more modernized version of it.

Despite that, I can't recall too many cases in which Nintendo left a game in almost its original form, but made an outdated feature from the game work again with modern hardware. One incident that comes in mind was the way they made Pokémon Snap work on the Wii Virtual Console. In the original N64 game, there was a promotional partnership with Blockbuster or some other company where you could take your memory card to the store and print out pictures you took of the Pokémon in-game. They sort of mimicked this feature with the Wii hardware, enabling people to save some pictures they took to the Wii. But that is one very rare example.

Looking at current offerings on the eShop, there are already games available on the virtual console service that can't make full use of their original features. One example is Zelda Link's Awakening DX, which had a mini-game where you could get this mouse photographer to take pictures of you throughout the game, and then print them out using the Gameboy Printer. The Gameboy Printer did not have a very lasting appeal, and went the way of the dinosaur pretty fast, but that feature still remains in the game and there's no way to actually 'print' the picture in the virtual console version. Another example is Mario Tennis for the GBC, which originally let you transfer your in-game characters over to the N64 version of Mario Tennis to play as them against Mario and co. You obviously have no way to connect the virtual console version of Mario Tennis GBC to the N64 game, so that's another relic of the past.

Of course, they could release it as an eShop game and not a virtual console title, complete with new features. (Like other indie games such as Cave Story and Pushmo, or the '3D' releases of Kid Icarus and Kirby's Adventure.) But one has to wonder if Nintendo would really go that far just to make it possible to transfer pokemon from gen 1 to gen 6. After all, nobody at Nintendo bothers localizing their older games on Virtual Console for Western audiences - the Japan-only titles that did see release on the service outside of Japan were ones with very little text to begin with, or ones that were pretty much in English already such as Sin and Punishment. That wouldn't take much effort, but nobody at Nintendo sees the point. It also takes them years to upload this or that old game to the service. Fans can translate and emulate everything much faster than these big companies.

I would also think trying to transfer a gen 1 pokemon to X and Y would cause some weird problems somewhere along the lines because pokemon don't learn the same exact movesets anymore, and some have had type changes. Also, in gen 1 and 2 each move type was considered either physical or special, while nowadays any move type can be either physical or special. I just imagine there being some sort of conflict, but maybe it's something they could work out - much like how transferring a gen 1 pokemon to gen 2 gave them a gender.

I'd say there is a possibility of Nintendo maybe one day releasing Pokémon Red and Blue on the eShop. but considering that the eShop has been around since like 2006 and none of the main series pokemon games were released for it yet, I'd say it just doesn't seem like something Nintendo is interested in doing. But if they did release it, I would just be surprised that they did that much, and I would probably have to re-purchase Blue again.

Superzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#3 Superzone
Member since 2004 • 3733 Posts

Been waiting for the classic Pokemon games ever since the 3DS launched. Hope they are coming soon...

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

There are some complications with your idea. It would be cool to play Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver and Crystal on the 3DS, but they will not be able to communicate with the Pokemon Transporter or X&Y unless Gamefreak drastically changes the gameplay and data. It's the same reason why we couldn't transfer any pokemon from Gold and Silver to Ruby and Sapphire. Gen 3 is responsible for shaping modern Pokemon games. Gen 3 introduced EVs, abilities, and many other hidden data. These new features were much more complicated than genders in Gen 2 or the split in special/physical moves in Gen 4. Back in Gold and Silver, gender were determined by a pokemon's Attack IVs when transferred from Red and Blue. Diamond and Pearl already had the data for every move available at that time, it just simply rearranged them to new Special and Physical categories. The hidden values introduced in Gen 3 were completely nonexistent prior to it and couldn't be determined through the data available in Gen 1 and 2. Since Gen 1 and 2 were remade to be compatible with current gameplay mechanics, Nintendo can avoid releasing the original games on the eShop and release all GBA Pokemon games to the 3DS. However, Nintendo still has some complications with GBA emulation on the 3DS. The 3DS still plays GBA games the same way the 3DS plays DS games or the Wii U plays Wii games. It basically goes into 'GBA Mode' and many of the 3DS features, like multitasking, become obsolete until you quit. It's not the most essential way of playing VC games and it may be the reason why they're releasing GBA games on the Wii U before the 3DS. As I said, I do agree that RBY and GSC on the eShop will be cool, but it will not be easy for Gamefreak or Nintendo to make them compatible with current Pokemon games.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#5 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I have zero interest in the old Pokemon games coming to the E Shop. We have Heartgold and Soulsilver, and that's more than enough.

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By 4myAmuzumament
Member since 2013 • 1791 Posts

a pikachu over here is a pikachu over there.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#7 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I really don't care about connectivity with the newer games, I'd really just like to be able to play red and blue again on virtual console.

Being able to transfer your pokemon from old games is nice and all, but the thing I think fans fail to realize is that the experience of building your team in each game from beginning to end is where a lot of the fun resides. Importing your old pokemon and going that extra mile is really more geared towards the post-game, and competitive battles.

sammyringo2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 sammyringo2006
Member since 2004 • 27 Posts

I think that is a good idea also. I have always liked Pokemon since it started.