Amiibo dominates Amazon. Some sell out.

#1 Posted by bunchanumbers (1421 posts) -

source

Right now Amiibo has dominated Amazon with 11 of the top 20 bestsellers. Some have even sold out. Maybe Nintendo is onto something with this amiibo thing. Which ones are you looking forward to? Marth, Villager and Wii Fit trainer has already sold out. Better order them before they're all gone!

#2 Edited by yixingtpot (1405 posts) -

it fits in perfectly with the Nintendo 'collect them all' strategy overall, plus people are already buying rip off DLC anyway for other systems and it's most likely already on disc, with the Amiibo add ons you get a collectible, so it's smart.

#3 Edited by yokofox33 (29916 posts) -

I missed out on Marth from Amazon, but was able to pre-order him at Bestbuy. I also pre-ordered Fox and Link. I hope more are released in the future. I don't expect the whole roster to be released, but it would be nice for them to come out with more popular ones like Charizard.

#4 Posted by trugs26 (5595 posts) -

Good to see it selling well :) I hope it catches on.

#5 Edited by PikachuDude860 (878 posts) -

Oh man! I better pre-order mine from Gamestop today! I bet this Amiibo thing is going to make Nintendo a crap ton of cash.

#6 Posted by Jaysonguy (37705 posts) -

Most of the sales are going towards people who are going to resell them.

The question is will anyone buy them outright?

#7 Edited by trav_have (5610 posts) -

I'll probably grab some of them myself if I see them in stores like Link, Samus or Fox. Just to have a little figurine on my dresser. I won't be ordering it online or anything though.

Although I cannot wait for SSB as well.

#8 Posted by zeroyaoi (1934 posts) -

Amazon better restock. :x

#9 Posted by Pierst179 (10803 posts) -

That's pretty insane.

#10 Posted by Aquat1cF1sh (10904 posts) -

Wow yeah, definitely thought this Amiibo thing would be a flop. Might get the Yoshi one down the road.

#11 Posted by onesiphorus (138 posts) -

Odd that the Wii Trainer, the Villager, and Marth figures are sold out. I thought that Link would be sold out.

#12 Posted by bunchanumbers (1421 posts) -

@onesiphorus: I think its because they made more of the more popular characters and less of the little known or not as loved Amiibos. This also means that some Amiibos will be rare ones with higher collectors value. I'm pretty sure retailers will pack their stands with Mario, Link, Samus Amiibos because they are the most recognized and popular. This also will mean that Amiibos like Game And Watch and ROB and the like will probably be rare ones.

#13 Edited by Litchie (16381 posts) -

Mkay. I still don't really know what they are for.. Are they like memory cards? I'm too lazy to look it up myself..

#14 Edited by trugs26 (5595 posts) -

@Litchie said:

Mkay. I still don't really know what they are for.. Are they like memory cards? I'm too lazy to look it up myself..

Yeah pretty much. Each figure has a chip. Various games can upload data to the chip, and various games can read data from the chip. First game we know details about is Smash Bros., where you train the AI of that character, which can be your partner in battle. These same figures can be used in other games, such as Mario Kart and Toad's Treasure Tracker (and some others). We don't know what those games do though.

#15 Posted by nini200 (9827 posts) -

Crap! I need to get WiiFit Trainer! I will get Samus as well but that's about it for now.

#16 Posted by Litchie (16381 posts) -

@trugs26 said:

@Litchie said:

Yeah pretty much. Each figure has a chip. Various games can upload data to the chip, and various games can read data from the chip. First game we know details about is Smash Bros., where you train the AI of that character, which can be your partner in battle. These same figures can be used in other games, such as Mario Kart and Toad's Treasure Tracker (and some others). We don't know what those games do though.

Allright, thanks for the info. I highly doubt I'll buy any amiibos..

I hope having an amiibo as partner in Smash doesn't mean that it can be used online to get an advantage over people without amiibos..

#17 Posted by freedom01 (711 posts) -

I didnt pre-order at Amazon, but I pre-ordered Marth, Mario, Link, and Samus

#18 Edited by SexyPorkins (1219 posts) -

I definitely want the Mario, Yoshio, Link and Martha figures. Those are the first on my list. Really excited about the potential of the Amiibos.