Amiibo Discussion

• 50 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I thought I'd open up a discussion about Amiibo.

Confirmed games using Amiibo
Confirmed games using Amiibo

So far, details are scarce. But we know that Amiibo will be used in Smash Bros. The way it works is that you can buy an Amiibo figurine, and in game it will be this AI you can train and level up. How you deploy it in battle is not totally clear to me yet.

Some of the Amiibo's to launch alongside Smash. Every character will have a figurine.
Some of the Amiibo's to launch alongside Smash. Every character will have a figurine.

So what do you think? Are you looking forward to it? Will you be buying one or many? Which one do you want? How much would you pay? What other things could do they for it? How do you think the MK8 DLC will be connected with Amiibo?

Personally, when I first saw it, I was confused on what it actually did in Smash. When I learned about it, I thought it sounded like Pokemon (leveling it up, etc.), which actually sounds pretty cool. I just hope they have an interesting Amiiibo mode in Smash that's separate from the core game. Maybe like 1v1 online with your Amiibo AI, or team up with yourself+your Amiibo vs another guy+their Amiibo.

I wish NIntendo gave some more details on this at E3. It just doesn't seem very clear, and with the way they have set it up so far, I don't see it catching on with the kids (which I think is their ultimate goal).

I think I'm gonna get the Samus one. I don't want to invest in many of them.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

I'm a collector of Sideshow Collectible figures, and those run in the hundreds to thousands of dollar ranges. These don't quite interest me, but if they're high quality and reasonably priced I'll look into them. I don't really understand their function aside from being able to save games. Personally I'd rather have Nintendo focus on software but don't see anything hugely wrong with this.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#3 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

I'm definitely getting the Link and Zelda figures. Samus, Kirby, Marth, and Mario are also tempting. At first, I didn't know what to think about them. After learning what they did and what they're used for, I think it's a neat concept. My stepson will likely want Pikachu, Donkey Kong, and Mario. I wonder how much of a dent this is going to put in my wallet...

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

The very first thing I thought of when they announced these amiibos was that they'd make one for my beloved, yet not particularly popular, Olimar. Pikmin merchandise is essentially non existent on this side of the world so this excited me greatly.

On the other hand, an Olimar Amiibo my be the most complicated of the bunch to produce if they intend to encase his head in that clear helmet and give him his very slim antenna. Also, would they include the pikmin in the figure as well?

Avatar image for deactivated-609eda8a7edd0
deactivated-609eda8a7edd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-609eda8a7edd0
Member since 2012 • 1173 Posts

I can see if these Amiibo's are successful in someway that we could see more Amiibo driven software in the future for the Wii U. I don't think it will be anything like Skylanders or Disney Infinity as that would be just saturating a fairly niche market but could imagine that some interesting concepts could come about with the use of these figures. Of course this is pure speculation but would be nice to see these figurines made more useful over the consoles life.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

I'll be picking up some of them, that Pikachu is too cute to pass up. The only one on the image I have no interest in at all is Wii Fit Trainer.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By trugs26

@Pikminmaniac said:

The very first thing I thought of when they announced these amiibos was that they'd make one for my beloved, yet not particularly popular, Olimar. Pikmin merchandise is essentially non existent on this side of the world so this excited me greatly.

On the other hand, an Olimar Amiibo my be the most complicated of the bunch to produce if they intend to encase his head in that clear helmet and give him his very slim antenna. Also, would they include the pikmin in the figure as well?

I'm actually interested in the Olimar one soon too.

So far, from the shown Amiibo's, I'm disappointed in Link and Zelda. I don't think they look very good. They also have very pale skin (like Wii Fit Trainer) and no facial detail - what's up with that? My second choice next to Samus is Marth.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9  Edited By nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts
Loading Video...

This video sums up Amiibo simply.

I'm getting the Samus, Jigglypuff, WiiFit Trainer and Palutena ones once they release. But that's about it. However I don't think I'll use them with the games unless they unlock stuff.

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

http://www.ign.com/wikis/nintendo-amiibo-figurines

I am a collector of Nintendo products, but as an application to gaming it just seems odd. You have your own Mario or Link, but its still just another Mario or Link. It has its own stats and such, but seeing your "amiibo" Mario fight NPC/human player Mario doesn't seem that important to me. As a Pokemon game application it makes more sense. Theres multiple iterations of each Pokemon.

I guess we will have to see how it is fully applied to different games.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#11  Edited By pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

I am not sure I will use them in the games.

They will, however, be making their way onto my shelf!

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 109

#12  Edited By freedom01  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 3676 Posts

at first I had no interest on these when they were first announced, but after seeing how they are used, I will definitely be getting many of them especially Mario, Marth, Link, Samus, Kid Icarus, Kirby, Yoshi, Fox, and Pikachu

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I'll probably pick up a few of them once I figure out what characters I'll use the most in SSB. Definitely interested in Marth and Link, but I'll see what other characters catch my eye in the future.

zeroyaoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 zeroyaoi
Member since 2013 • 2472 Posts

I'm definitely collecting them. :P

Wouldn't it be amazing if the platinum reward was a limited edition amiibo figurine.

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By freedom01  Moderator

@zeroyaoi said:

Wouldn't it be amazing if the platinum reward was a limited edition amiibo figurine.

that would be really nice

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

I initially decided to avoid these like the plague, but then I realized that these would look cool next to my Monster Hunter figurines. I'm planning on buying the Samus and Megaman ones for my shelf.

@zeroyaoi said:

I'll be awfully disappointed if they don't do this.

FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts

As long as they're of high quality, I will probably buy every single one of them.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 trugs26

@zeroyaoi said:

Man people will go crazy for those.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#19 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

I'm getting them purely on appearance.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#20 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I won't be getting any of them I'd rather play Smash myself than train an AI to play it for me.

mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#21 mattykovax
Member since 2004 • 22693 Posts

I want the samus just because it looks like a quality figurine I probably wont actually use it as intended, it will be decorative.

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 thedude-

I do not see the appeal of having a transportable pet for SSB4. You can customize an NPC and then transport it to your friends house through a physical toy. Why cant you just sign in with your NNID or simply upload online? It looks like they are going to add this physical middle man toy thing to games where the competition has been integrating with online interface through customized profiles.

I could see certain features only unlockable through these toys when some people would just like to download DLC.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

no Zero Suit Samus?... :(

mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mattykovax

@thedude- said:

I do not see the appeal of having a transportable pet for SSB4. You can customize an NPC and then transport it to your friends house through a physical toy. Why cant you just sign in with your NNID or simply upload online? It looks like they are going to add this physical middle man toy thing to games where the competition has been integrating with online interface through customized profiles.

I could see certain features only unlockable through these toys when some people would just like to download DLC.

It kind of proves that Nintendo still loves gimmicks and figure they can sell them like hotcakes to make up for smaller install base. In their defense a lot of Nintendo fans who should be wiser DO eat this shit up.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 trugs26

@superbuuman: They said they wanted to do one for every Smash character. So I think there will be one of her.

@mattykovax: In defense of the fans, they buy what they want. They didn't buy Wii Music. But will buy figurines. There's nothing wrong with liking figurines.

zeroyaoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 zeroyaoi

@freedom01: Did you reach platinum last year?

@ANIMEguy10034: Prepare to be disappointed. :0

@trugs26: wouldn't be surprised. Feel bad for missing out on the Luigi figure.

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By freedom01  Moderator

@zeroyaoi said:

@freedom01: Did you reach platinum last year?

@ANIMEguy10034: Prepare to be disappointed. :0

@trugs26: wouldn't be surprised. Feel bad for missing out on the Luigi figure.

I reached up to gold only, got the calender. This yeah though, I got up to platinum. looking forward on what rewards there are

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28  Edited By bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

Hoping for a Toad and Toadette set. Oh and they better have Captain Toad as well. I might buy a Yoshi figurine just so I can position my Toads to look like they're beating him up.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts
@trugs26 said:

@superbuuman: They said they wanted to do one for every Smash character. So I think there will be one of her.

Hope so, only interested in Samus in Suit, & Zero Suit Samus. :P

mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mattykovax

@trugs26:

I am not saying there is. I plan on getting a Samus myself as I said, purely for the figurine reason. Does not change the fact that it is another Gimmick that seems based off skylanders and infinity, that Nintendo is exploiting, and the more that are bought the more they will exploit it.

Sphensen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Sphensen
Member since 2012 • 1176 Posts
@thedude- said:

http://www.ign.com/wikis/nintendo-amiibo-figurines

I am a collector of Nintendo products, but as an application to gaming it just seems odd. You have your own Mario or Link, but its still just another Mario or Link. It has its own stats and such, but seeing your "amiibo" Mario fight NPC/human player Mario doesn't seem that important to me. As a Pokemon game application it makes more sense. Theres multiple iterations of each Pokemon.

I guess we will have to see how it is fully applied to different games.

Pokémon makes the most since to me too. You're hanging out at your house training your pokemon then you port them to your NFC Pokeballs head over to your friends house and battle

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By trugs26

@mattykovax said:

@trugs26:

I am not saying there is. I plan on getting a Samus myself as I said, purely for the figurine reason. Does not change the fact that it is another Gimmick that seems based off skylanders and infinity, that Nintendo is exploiting, and the more that are bought the more they will exploit it.

Fair enough. I just didn't like your wording of "...should be wiser...". I know what I'm getting myself into, and I think eating this shit up is a wise thing to do if you want high quality Nintendo figurines.

TilxWLOC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TilxWLOC
Member since 2011 • 1164 Posts

I didn't care at first, but they look pretty good, and I do "need" to start collecting more than just games.

zeroyaoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 zeroyaoi

@TilxWLOC: why is that?

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

@trugs26 said:

@Pikminmaniac said:

I'm actually interested in the Olimar one soon too.

So far, from the shown Amiibo's, I'm disappointed in Link and Zelda. I don't think they look very good. They also have very pale skin (like Wii Fit Trainer) and no facial detail - what's up with that? My second choice next to Samus is Marth.

Yeah Samus is easily the most gorgeous of these figures. Her design and metalic sheen make for a very sleek figure. I'm also going to pick up DK because that character means a lot to me personally

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts

I have no interest in any feature of a game that is only available if I pay extra money beyond what I already paid for the game itself. This is a cash grab, plain and simple.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By trugs26

@meetroid8 said:

I have no interest in any feature of a game that is only available if I pay extra money beyond what I already paid for the game itself. This is a cash grab, plain and simple.

That's an outdated and illogical view. So to clarify, it seems like you're against DLC too right?

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#38 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts

I'd honestly get them just to display and not to use in games.

TilxWLOC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TilxWLOC
Member since 2011 • 1164 Posts

@zeroyaoi: I'd really like to start collecting more video game memorabilia and at the moment I only collect games. It probably won't happen though, I can barely afford games (which have a higher value to me).

There is nothing big-- or even interesting behind it.

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 thedude-

It would be nice if you could scan the amiibos and not open up the box. This would accommodate the collector crowd.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 trugs26

@thedude- said:

It would be nice if you could scan the amiibos and not open up the box. This would accommodate the collector crowd.

Good idea. Can Skylanders or Infinity do that at the moment?

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 thedude-

@trugs26 said:

@thedude- said:

Good idea. Can Skylanders or Infinity do that at the moment?

Trugs I googled searched it and this is exactly what I am talking about, except this guy is basically getting free content. Maybe Nintendo can do allow an un opened box with a a tab you pull off allowing for a box scan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpw5Gb8h2Jc

jlezotte08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By jlezotte08
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

@trugs26:

Skylanders could. You could only fit two characters on the portal. They had to stay on it at all times so you couldnt use the little items like the potion bottle, but you made it through the game without it.

I was really hoping for that kind of gameplay in ssbm. Skylanders was magical. Amiibos thus far are just frustrating paperweights.

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Collie_Lover
Member since 2008 • 962 Posts

I started with Disney Infinity, but will pick up some of the common Amiibos later. Since I don't have Smash yet the figures are not going to do a lot for me at this time. I think it was very clever how Nintendo used the Gamepad to scan the figures in. I am betting that Nintendo will eventually make a full-fledged "Nintendo Infinity" game similar to Disney Infinity or Skylanders, but maybe not until next generation. Nintendo already has a vast history of content to draw upon that is a battle-tested formula for success. If they decide to do it full force it will be a very polished game, and will be loved by the Nintendo fan masses (including me). I don't know if Nintendo would have enough time to start a project of this size for the Wii U, but it could extend the life of this present console for many more years to come if they did, which I would personally welcome since I just got my console Christmas 2014.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By yokofox33

@yokofox33 said:

I'll probably pick up a few of them once I figure out what characters I'll use the most in SSB. Definitely interested in Marth and Link, but I'll see what other characters catch my eye in the future.

Wow. I said this almost 7 months ago. I have all 18 figures currently out right now and have the next wave of 11 all pre-ordered. I'm a fucking wreck with these things.

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#46 CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts

I'm only getting a few of these amiibos, I only have Fox so far. Planning on getting Kirby, Meta Knight, and Falco.

CrillanK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By CrillanK
Member since 2008 • 272 Posts

@CountBleck12: Better keep watching for Meta Knight. He's exclusive to Best Buy and preorders have been sold out.

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#48 CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts

@CrillanK said:

@CountBleck12: Better keep watching for Meta Knight. He's exclusive to Best Buy and preorders have been sold out.

Well, ****. I didn't pre-order it. Knowing Nintendo, it's probably going to be a while till they have more in stock sadly.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 yokofox33

Not to mention Bestbuy has been fucking terrible with their Amiibo pre-orders. I've heard nightmare stories about in-store pre-orders being lost, never arriving, or sold to others and online pre-orders don't ship on time and arrive in poor condition. My Pit from Bestbuy arrived completely broken.

All I'm hoping from Bestbuy is that my Metaknight arrives in one piece. I have all my other pre-orders at Gamestop. I can actually trust them.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#50 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5247 Posts

It is now the 9th, and Target has yet to have another pre-order run for its exclusive Rosalina amiibo. I may have to wait until February.