Amiibo Discussion

#1 Edited by trugs26 (5556 posts) -

I thought I'd open up a discussion about Amiibo.

Confirmed games using Amiibo

So far, details are scarce. But we know that Amiibo will be used in Smash Bros. The way it works is that you can buy an Amiibo figurine, and in game it will be this AI you can train and level up. How you deploy it in battle is not totally clear to me yet.

Some of the Amiibo's to launch alongside Smash. Every character will have a figurine.

So what do you think? Are you looking forward to it? Will you be buying one or many? Which one do you want? How much would you pay? What other things could do they for it? How do you think the MK8 DLC will be connected with Amiibo?

Personally, when I first saw it, I was confused on what it actually did in Smash. When I learned about it, I thought it sounded like Pokemon (leveling it up, etc.), which actually sounds pretty cool. I just hope they have an interesting Amiiibo mode in Smash that's separate from the core game. Maybe like 1v1 online with your Amiibo AI, or team up with yourself+your Amiibo vs another guy+their Amiibo.

I wish NIntendo gave some more details on this at E3. It just doesn't seem very clear, and with the way they have set it up so far, I don't see it catching on with the kids (which I think is their ultimate goal).

I think I'm gonna get the Samus one. I don't want to invest in many of them.

#2 Posted by MirkoS77 (7572 posts) -

I'm a collector of Sideshow Collectible figures, and those run in the hundreds to thousands of dollar ranges. These don't quite interest me, but if they're high quality and reasonably priced I'll look into them. I don't really understand their function aside from being able to save games. Personally I'd rather have Nintendo focus on software but don't see anything hugely wrong with this.

#3 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7483 posts) -

I'm definitely getting the Link and Zelda figures. Samus, Kirby, Marth, and Mario are also tempting. At first, I didn't know what to think about them. After learning what they did and what they're used for, I think it's a neat concept. My stepson will likely want Pikachu, Donkey Kong, and Mario. I wonder how much of a dent this is going to put in my wallet...

#4 Edited by Pikminmaniac (9039 posts) -

The very first thing I thought of when they announced these amiibos was that they'd make one for my beloved, yet not particularly popular, Olimar. Pikmin merchandise is essentially non existent on this side of the world so this excited me greatly.

On the other hand, an Olimar Amiibo my be the most complicated of the bunch to produce if they intend to encase his head in that clear helmet and give him his very slim antenna. Also, would they include the pikmin in the figure as well?

#5 Posted by farrell2k (6328 posts) -

I have no interest in this, but I bet there will be a big collectors market round them.

#6 Posted by OhJayDubya (1142 posts) -

I can see if these Amiibo's are successful in someway that we could see more Amiibo driven software in the future for the Wii U. I don't think it will be anything like Skylanders or Disney Infinity as that would be just saturating a fairly niche market but could imagine that some interesting concepts could come about with the use of these figures. Of course this is pure speculation but would be nice to see these figurines made more useful over the consoles life.

#7 Posted by spike6958 (4823 posts) -

I'll be picking up some of them, that Pikachu is too cute to pass up. The only one on the image I have no interest in at all is Wii Fit Trainer.

#8 Edited by trugs26 (5556 posts) -

@Pikminmaniac said:

The very first thing I thought of when they announced these amiibos was that they'd make one for my beloved, yet not particularly popular, Olimar. Pikmin merchandise is essentially non existent on this side of the world so this excited me greatly.

On the other hand, an Olimar Amiibo my be the most complicated of the bunch to produce if they intend to encase his head in that clear helmet and give him his very slim antenna. Also, would they include the pikmin in the figure as well?

I'm actually interested in the Olimar one soon too.


So far, from the shown Amiibo's, I'm disappointed in Link and Zelda. I don't think they look very good. They also have very pale skin (like Wii Fit Trainer) and no facial detail - what's up with that? My second choice next to Samus is Marth.

#9 Edited by nini200 (9817 posts) -

This video sums up Amiibo simply.

I'm getting the Samus, Jigglypuff, WiiFit Trainer and Palutena ones once they release. But that's about it. However I don't think I'll use them with the games unless they unlock stuff.

#10 Edited by thedude- (2258 posts) -

http://www.ign.com/wikis/nintendo-amiibo-figurines

I am a collector of Nintendo products, but as an application to gaming it just seems odd. You have your own Mario or Link, but its still just another Mario or Link. It has its own stats and such, but seeing your "amiibo" Mario fight NPC/human player Mario doesn't seem that important to me. As a Pokemon game application it makes more sense. Theres multiple iterations of each Pokemon.

I guess we will have to see how it is fully applied to different games.

#11 Edited by Pierst179 (10803 posts) -

I am not sure I will use them in the games.

They will, however, be making their way onto my shelf!

#12 Edited by freedom01 (701 posts) -

at first I had no interest on these when they were first announced, but after seeing how they are used, I will definitely be getting many of them especially Mario, Marth, Link, Samus, Kid Icarus, Kirby, Yoshi, Fox, and Pikachu

#13 Posted by yokofox33 (29870 posts) -

I'll probably pick up a few of them once I figure out what characters I'll use the most in SSB. Definitely interested in Marth and Link, but I'll see what other characters catch my eye in the future.

#14 Posted by zeroyaoi (1934 posts) -

I'm definitely collecting them. :P

Wouldn't it be amazing if the platinum reward was a limited edition amiibo figurine.

#15 Edited by freedom01 (701 posts) -

@zeroyaoi said:

I'm definitely collecting them. :P

Wouldn't it be amazing if the platinum reward was a limited edition amiibo figurine.

that would be really nice

#16 Posted by ANIMEguy10034 (4768 posts) -

I initially decided to avoid these like the plague, but then I realized that these would look cool next to my Monster Hunter figurines. I'm planning on buying the Samus and Megaman ones for my shelf.

@zeroyaoi said:

Wouldn't it be amazing if the platinum reward was a limited edition amiibo figurine.

I'll be awfully disappointed if they don't do this.

#17 Posted by FFCYAN (4943 posts) -

As long as they're of high quality, I will probably buy every single one of them.

#18 Posted by trugs26 (5556 posts) -

@zeroyaoi said:

I'm definitely collecting them. :P

Wouldn't it be amazing if the platinum reward was a limited edition amiibo figurine.

Man people will go crazy for those.

#19 Posted by 93BlackHawk93 (5630 posts) -

I'm getting them purely on appearance.

#20 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16788 posts) -

I won't be getting any of them I'd rather play Smash myself than train an AI to play it for me.

#21 Posted by mattykovax (22693 posts) -

I want the samus just because it looks like a quality figurine I probably wont actually use it as intended, it will be decorative.

#22 Posted by thedude- (2258 posts) -

I do not see the appeal of having a transportable pet for SSB4. You can customize an NPC and then transport it to your friends house through a physical toy. Why cant you just sign in with your NNID or simply upload online? It looks like they are going to add this physical middle man toy thing to games where the competition has been integrating with online interface through customized profiles.

I could see certain features only unlockable through these toys when some people would just like to download DLC.

#23 Posted by superbuuman (2892 posts) -

no Zero Suit Samus?... :(

#24 Posted by mattykovax (22693 posts) -

@thedude- said:

I do not see the appeal of having a transportable pet for SSB4. You can customize an NPC and then transport it to your friends house through a physical toy. Why cant you just sign in with your NNID or simply upload online? It looks like they are going to add this physical middle man toy thing to games where the competition has been integrating with online interface through customized profiles.

I could see certain features only unlockable through these toys when some people would just like to download DLC.

It kind of proves that Nintendo still loves gimmicks and figure they can sell them like hotcakes to make up for smaller install base. In their defense a lot of Nintendo fans who should be wiser DO eat this shit up.

#25 Posted by trugs26 (5556 posts) -

@superbuuman: They said they wanted to do one for every Smash character. So I think there will be one of her.

@mattykovax: In defense of the fans, they buy what they want. They didn't buy Wii Music. But will buy figurines. There's nothing wrong with liking figurines.

#26 Posted by zeroyaoi (1934 posts) -

@freedom01: Did you reach platinum last year?

@ANIMEguy10034: Prepare to be disappointed. :0

@trugs26: wouldn't be surprised. Feel bad for missing out on the Luigi figure.

#27 Edited by freedom01 (701 posts) -

@zeroyaoi said:

@freedom01: Did you reach platinum last year?

@ANIMEguy10034: Prepare to be disappointed. :0

@trugs26: wouldn't be surprised. Feel bad for missing out on the Luigi figure.

I reached up to gold only, got the calender. This yeah though, I got up to platinum. looking forward on what rewards there are

#28 Edited by bunchanumbers (1348 posts) -

Hoping for a Toad and Toadette set. Oh and they better have Captain Toad as well. I might buy a Yoshi figurine just so I can position my Toads to look like they're beating him up.

#29 Posted by superbuuman (2892 posts) -
@trugs26 said:

@superbuuman: They said they wanted to do one for every Smash character. So I think there will be one of her.

Hope so, only interested in Samus in Suit, & Zero Suit Samus. :P

#30 Edited by mattykovax (22693 posts) -

@trugs26:

I am not saying there is. I plan on getting a Samus myself as I said, purely for the figurine reason. Does not change the fact that it is another Gimmick that seems based off skylanders and infinity, that Nintendo is exploiting, and the more that are bought the more they will exploit it.

#31 Posted by Sphensen (768 posts) -
@thedude- said:

http://www.ign.com/wikis/nintendo-amiibo-figurines

I am a collector of Nintendo products, but as an application to gaming it just seems odd. You have your own Mario or Link, but its still just another Mario or Link. It has its own stats and such, but seeing your "amiibo" Mario fight NPC/human player Mario doesn't seem that important to me. As a Pokemon game application it makes more sense. Theres multiple iterations of each Pokemon.

I guess we will have to see how it is fully applied to different games.

Pokémon makes the most since to me too. You're hanging out at your house training your pokemon then you port them to your NFC Pokeballs head over to your friends house and battle

#32 Edited by trugs26 (5556 posts) -

@mattykovax said:

@trugs26:

I am not saying there is. I plan on getting a Samus myself as I said, purely for the figurine reason. Does not change the fact that it is another Gimmick that seems based off skylanders and infinity, that Nintendo is exploiting, and the more that are bought the more they will exploit it.

Fair enough. I just didn't like your wording of "...should be wiser...". I know what I'm getting myself into, and I think eating this shit up is a wise thing to do if you want high quality Nintendo figurines.

#33 Posted by TilxWLOC (1033 posts) -

I didn't care at first, but they look pretty good, and I do "need" to start collecting more than just games.

#34 Posted by zeroyaoi (1934 posts) -

@TilxWLOC: why is that?

#35 Posted by Pikminmaniac (9039 posts) -

@trugs26 said:

@Pikminmaniac said:

The very first thing I thought of when they announced these amiibos was that they'd make one for my beloved, yet not particularly popular, Olimar. Pikmin merchandise is essentially non existent on this side of the world so this excited me greatly.

On the other hand, an Olimar Amiibo my be the most complicated of the bunch to produce if they intend to encase his head in that clear helmet and give him his very slim antenna. Also, would they include the pikmin in the figure as well?

I'm actually interested in the Olimar one soon too.

So far, from the shown Amiibo's, I'm disappointed in Link and Zelda. I don't think they look very good. They also have very pale skin (like Wii Fit Trainer) and no facial detail - what's up with that? My second choice next to Samus is Marth.

Yeah Samus is easily the most gorgeous of these figures. Her design and metalic sheen make for a very sleek figure. I'm also going to pick up DK because that character means a lot to me personally

#36 Posted by meetroid8 (21140 posts) -

I have no interest in any feature of a game that is only available if I pay extra money beyond what I already paid for the game itself. This is a cash grab, plain and simple.

#37 Edited by trugs26 (5556 posts) -

@meetroid8 said:

I have no interest in any feature of a game that is only available if I pay extra money beyond what I already paid for the game itself. This is a cash grab, plain and simple.

That's an outdated and illogical view. So to clarify, it seems like you're against DLC too right?

#38 Posted by Kenny789 (10247 posts) -

I'd honestly get them just to display and not to use in games.

#39 Edited by TilxWLOC (1033 posts) -

@zeroyaoi: I'd really like to start collecting more video game memorabilia and at the moment I only collect games. It probably won't happen though, I can barely afford games (which have a higher value to me).

There is nothing big-- or even interesting behind it.

#40 Posted by thedude- (2258 posts) -

It would be nice if you could scan the amiibos and not open up the box. This would accommodate the collector crowd.

#41 Posted by trugs26 (5556 posts) -

@thedude- said:

It would be nice if you could scan the amiibos and not open up the box. This would accommodate the collector crowd.

Good idea. Can Skylanders or Infinity do that at the moment?

#42 Posted by thedude- (2258 posts) -

@trugs26 said:

@thedude- said:

It would be nice if you could scan the amiibos and not open up the box. This would accommodate the collector crowd.

Good idea. Can Skylanders or Infinity do that at the moment?

Trugs I googled searched it and this is exactly what I am talking about, except this guy is basically getting free content. Maybe Nintendo can do allow an un opened box with a a tab you pull off allowing for a box scan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpw5Gb8h2Jc