Am I the Only One Who Loved Motion Controls?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by sonic_spark (4573 posts) -

I look back at my time with the Wii and I have to honestly say, I loved the Motion Controls and I dread going back to some of these franchises using a traditional controller. Of course, when the motion controls were implemented properly (aside from my one waggle example).

1. I didn't mind waggle in certain games. Twilight Princess was more enjoyable with waggle and the IR pointer.

2. Skyward Sword was incredible in the control department.

3. Every full fledged 3D Mario game for me has to be controlled like Mario Galaxy.

4. Unless I'm using a mouse and a keyboard, nothing beats the Wiimote. Metroid Prime 3 was fantastic. It felt natural and accurate.

5. Party games are hilarious with motion controls. The shaking the can mini-game in Mario Party 8 is ridiculous, not complicated and yet, even at 27, I can't help but laugh at the motion.

It just seems to me that a lot of people preferred the traditional controller. I don't disagree that many genres benefit from that scheme. But I'm going to miss playing the type of games with these controls where it actually worked, even in the rare waggle situation. Anyone else feel this way? (and sorry for the formatting, the new forums take some getting used to).

#2 Posted by ANIMEguy10034 (4603 posts) -

I also loved motion controls and I'm sure many will agree with you. I'm hoping future first party titles offer motion controls as an option, but I doubt many games would do that. It's pretty difficult for me to aim with analog sticks now that I'm so used to pointing but I guess we all have to adapt.

#3 Posted by superclocked (5822 posts) -

I love the Wii's motion controls. I have a ton of fond memories of playing Wii games with my wife and oldest son. In fact, thinking about it makes me want to get out the old Wii and hook it back up. I may do that tomorrow...

#4 Posted by Shmiity (4964 posts) -

Hate them. The control schemes detracted from my enjoyment of Zelda- thoroughly. I didn't think it could get worse than controlling link with a stylus.

#5 Edited by OreoMilkshake (12718 posts) -

Depends on the game but I loved them for the most part.

#6 Posted by bulby_g (981 posts) -

I loved it in Skyward Sword personally, I think it was implemented extremely well. It will be a shame if no more work is done on it just when it was getting good.

#7 Posted by AvatarMan96 (7321 posts) -

I loved them in games that utilized them really well. Gaming felt different for a change.

#8 Edited by CamoBullo (721 posts) -

Depends on the game

This. When I played Twilight Princess on the Wii, I felt that the motion controls were great. I felt like Super Mario Galaxy was the peak of how well the Wii's motion controls could be, seeing as I rarely played any game that had the Waggle as a requirement (thankfully was able to disable it in Monster Hunter Tri).

#9 Posted by Megavideogamer (5230 posts) -

Most people after a long day at work or school. Just want to sit down and relax escaping in into the videogame world enjoying the story or shooting on the Playfield. on the game world. just to decompress after a long day.

So active motion controls go against the ease of a traditional couch co-op or solo gaming session. Last thing most people want is motion controls. The backlash for MS third console for the mandatory Camera is proof enough. aside for the potential spying aspect from government and hackers.

The Wii was Nintendo's best selling console with 100.3 million sold. Wii sports sold 80.8 million copies.wii Sports resort 33 million. but most people didn't buy many games other than a few titles. Wii Play sold 26 million due to the extra controller Wii Kart Wii sold well 31 million, Wii Fit and Wii Fit plus sold 22 million each. Wii Party did alright 10 million and the usual Mario Galaxy 1&2 as well as the 2 legend of Zelda games and the 2 Metroid games. But beyond The Wii series and Nintendo's first party games very few of those 100 plus Nintendo Wii buyers bought anything else. The Nintendo Wii was mostly used just to play bowling by those Blue Ocean people.

Out of a game library of 1300 games only 60 maybe 75 games tops are Good games worth playing. The same 50 games that people list when defending the Wii. The remaining 1225 games are shovelware releases, quick hoped for motion controlled cash ins.

So once the fad of motion controls ended The successor console tells the tale of how many people really cared for motion controls. The new tablet inspired Gamepad is another story. But the Wii mote controller plus are still an official controller option for Nintendo Wii U. With Wii U Wii mote controllers with the Wii U logo and the red sync button moved to a better location without having to remove the battery door.

So maybe 5% of people really love motion controlled gaming. Nintendo, MS, Sony included. The Sony Move controllers failed at retail. Despite having motion controlled games in HD. Long before the Wii U was released.Sports Champions 1 & 2 didn't even crack the top 20 Sony games. Sony wisely didn't include their Camera with the PS4.

So most people in the videogame universe do not love motion controls for gaming. just 5% of all gamers. for most folks a traditional controller is just fine. Still 5% could be the 20 million people how bought Wii Fit and then Wii Fit plus. Since those are the "games" that really encourage motion. rest of the people just want to relax when gaming.

Yep I'm not a fan of motion controls. But I do own a Wii and a Wii U. As well as all of the other Nintendo home consoles and Nintendo handhelds.

#10 Posted by starwarsjunky (24690 posts) -

can't stand them. wish ninty and MS would stop trying to shove it down our throats and let people CHOOSE to use them or not.

#11 Posted by Blueresident87 (5195 posts) -

I wouldn't say I 'love' them, but I do enjoy them when games implement the controls well. Unfortunately, many do not.

The Super Mario Galaxy series is one of my favorites of all time, and it's very well done there.

#12 Edited by tocool340 (20415 posts) -

Depends on the game but I loved them for the most part.

This...

#13 Posted by anab0lic (271 posts) -

I'm glad the motion control fad is over, it completely ruined every Nintendo game for me during the wii era.... the wii pointer was a great innovation though which i think can still be made good use of in future games.

#14 Posted by Pikminmaniac (8574 posts) -

Skyward Sword and Metroid Prime utilized them extremely well and proved that motioin gaming could improve a core game.

#15 Posted by Chozofication (2681 posts) -

My problem isn't with motion controls, it was with the ergonomics of the Wii mote and nunchuck and even when a game used motion control like it should be used, it also used it in asinine ways that should be using traditional controls. Also, the technology just isn't there yet clearly because even wii mote plus was innaccurate as all hell sometimes, and constantly getting uncalibrated.

Holding the Wii mote sideways in games was awful too, whoever thought of that...

If nintendo overhauled the Wii controllers design (ergonomic, add more buttons / change button layout) and made things truly 1:1 with no issues, that method of control would be an invaluable part of gaming.

It'll never happen though, because first and fore most motion controls were there as a gimmick, and they seem to be done with that particular gimmick.

#16 Edited by nini200 (9377 posts) -

I love them still. They are the most accurate and seamless control method for FPS. They don't work well for all genres though such as traditional fighting (even though they were the superior control method for Dragonball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3) and most driving games.

But for FPS, I feel restrained and stiff playing with Dual Analog controls now, not only because they have a center locked crosshair, but because the turning feels stiff, you can't slightly adjust your aim and help is usually needed in the form of auto aim and bigger hit boxes.

Most other games though, I'll be fine with traditional controls.

#17 Edited by KBFloYd (12743 posts) -

i loved them and was a bit upset nintendo used dual analog on wiiU..

but whatever..

#18 Edited by thetravman (3510 posts) -

Skyward Sword, Wii Sports, WarioWare, and Red Steel2 were basically the only games I appreciated motion controls. Everything else that used it were mainly a substitute of traditional controls that didn't improve the experience. What I really loved was the IR aiming: Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Resident Evil 4, Conduit, on-rail shooting games, Mario Galaxy, Okami and possibly others.

#19 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -

It really depends on the game.

It's kind of ironic, but the first Zelda game on the Wii and the last Zelda game on the Wii were totally different in terms of their successfulness of delivering great motion controls. Twilight Princess was a game in which the addition of motion controls didn't enhance, which was a bummer, but it didn't detract either. Skyward Sword on the other hand was just crafted so well, it really gave justification to what Nintendo was setting out to do. It just sucks it happened towards the end of the consoles life cycle.

Then you have the case where motion controls just don't work well at all. Mortal Kombat Armageddon was a good example of that. A traditional fighting game is not going to play well with motion controls, no matter how hard you try.

I should note I purposely left out pointer controller games like the Metroid Prime Trilogy, as that uses the IR sensor instead of the motion controls itself, at least, as far as I can remember it doesn't use Wii MotionPlus.

#20 Posted by Meinhard1 (6742 posts) -

The only first party game where it bugged me was DKCR.

Eve there it wasn't bad; it just caused unnecessary wrist strain.

#21 Posted by Pierst179 (10684 posts) -

It really depends on the game.

It's kind of ironic, but the first Zelda game on the Wii and the last Zelda game on the Wii were totally different in terms of their successfulness of delivering great motion controls. Twilight Princess was a game in which the addition of motion controls didn't enhance, which was a bummer, but it didn't detract either. Skyward Sword on the other hand was just crafted so well, it really gave justification to what Nintendo was setting out to do. It just sucks it happened towards the end of the consoles life cycle.

That difference goes to show how much motion controls evolved during the Wii's lifetime.

Twilight Princess was, alongside Wii Sports, the humble beginning of it all. Skyward Sword was the system's clear peak in terms of controls, it fulfilled nearly everything motion controls were supposed to bring to the table.

To answer the topic, when it comes to Zelda and Metroid (if it is a first-person Metroid) I cannot see myself going back to traditional controls.

#22 Edited by GamerofMario1 (12972 posts) -

I liked the motion controls when they were done right. Games like Super Mario Galaxy 1/2, Wii Sports, and MadWorld had fantastic motion controls that I enjoyed very much.

#23 Edited by goblaa (19304 posts) -

I loved them. REEEEEALY upset that the gamepad is the wiiu's focus instead of m+

#24 Posted by nini200 (9377 posts) -

Then you have the case where motion controls just don't work well at all. Mortal Kombat Armageddon was a good example of that. A traditional fighting game is not going to play well with motion controls, no matter how hard you try.

I agree. Budokai Tenkaichi 3 was the only exception to this as the Motion was implemented remarkably well. But I don't think that classifies as a traditional fighter though. I guess we can consider it a 1 on 1 fighter instead of traditional Street Fighter, King of Fighters type of traditional fighting game.

#25 Edited by enrique_marrodz (2092 posts) -

Yes, motion controls are great. I still play a lot of Wii games and I still prefer those with good motion controls or, at least, pointer features.

Some of the best games with motion controls, for me were Skyward Sword, Wii Party, Wario Ware, Godfather, Silent Hill, Madworld, ah, list is too long but I love to play them all!

#26 Edited by enrique_marrodz (2092 posts) -

Yes, motion controls are great. I still play a lot of Wii games and I still prefer those with good motion controls or, at least, pointer features.

Some of the best games with motion controls, for me were Skyward Sword, Wii Party, Wario Ware, Godfather, Silent Hill, Madworld, ah, list is too long but I love to play them all!

#27 Edited by Euaggelistes (1826 posts) -

I do not know if I would go so far as to use the word love but I did think they added to the experience in certain games. Playing Madden with motion controls was ridiculous fun, especially since the trajectory of the ball was dependent on the force of your throw. I loved using motion controls in Ultimate Alliance to activate various super powers. I might be the only one who liked shaking the controllers in Donkey Kong Country Returns to roll and pound the ground.

Edit: I hated motion controls in Skyward Sword though. HATED!

#28 Posted by Avatar_Taxidous (4314 posts) -

Definitely not, I love motion gaming. With Wii U I would much rather improved Wii remote and nunchuk controllers than the gamepad. I also won't be buying any shooting games on Wii U that don't support the Wii remote control scheme. It's unfortunate to see so many shooters released on the system without motion controls (Mass Effect 3, RE: Revelations, Goldeneye Legends, and soon Deus Ex Director's Cut).