About transferring wii info to wii u.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Metragold2014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Metragold2014
Member since 2015 • 40 Posts

So I have purchased my wii u 6 months ago and have yet put my old Wii info on it.
If I transfer it now, will it affect anything I have done on my Wii u?

I want to transfer them mainly so I can repurchase the DKC games at a cheaper price.
Any info or links to info will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@metragold2014 said:

So I have purchased my wii u 6 months ago and have yet put my old Wii info on it.

If I transfer it now, will it affect anything I have done on my Wii u?

I want to transfer them mainly so I can repurchase the DKC games at a cheaper price.

Any info or links to info will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

hey...idk...if i had to guess i would say no...it will not affect anything...except for any wii saves or games you downloaded on your wii section.

all the wii info transfers to the wii section of the wiiU....so all your actual wiiU software will be unaffected.

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3  Edited By Collie_Lover
Member since 2008 • 962 Posts

I am not sure why you want to buy the games twice. All of your wii virtual console and wii-ware games should transfer to the wii channel on the wii u. Your game saves for all of the wii games should transfer to the wii channel on the wii u. Nothing should change for your wii u in doing the transfer. You will not be able to transfer the virtual console and wii-ware games back to the wii at a later point however. There is a free transfer tool in the wii shopping channel to make the transfer to the wii u. When you make the transfer the consoles should have at least 3' of space between them so the signals are not confused. Nintendo customer support will help you if you get stuck and call them.

Metragold2014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Metragold2014
Member since 2015 • 40 Posts

Thanks for the info guys, really appreciated. The reason I wanna upgrade my DKC games is so I can play them on my wii u gamepad instead of just the TV.

silkylove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 silkylove
Member since 2002 • 8579 Posts

@Collie_Lover:

Most people transfer so they can play on the gamepad and not have to launch wii mode. It's worth the $1.50 upgrade fee for a lot of people.

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6  Edited By Collie_Lover
Member since 2008 • 962 Posts

@metragold2014

@silkylove

Ok, that makes sense. I didn't know Nintendo updated virtual console and wii-ware games to work on the gamepad. Also, I didn't know you could upgrade previously purchased games.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#7 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Backup all your save data before doing the transfer.

I cannot stress this enough. My shop channel information transferred, but I think that's done over the internet. When it comes to your save data, the transfer packs it all onto your SD card and erases your local copies. My transfer worked fine until the very last step with the SD card. I wound up losing all of my game saves. All of them. Xenoblade, Twilight Princess, Red Steel 2, Last Story, Skyward Sword, Kirby, Resident Evil, every game I had a save file for. It was one of those time where I couldn't help but laugh, because there was nothing I could do.

Save yourself a massive headache and don't make the same mistake. Backup your stuff.