A Link Between Worlds: Am I not getting this?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Essian
Member since 2007 • 3444 Posts

Hi all,

So I've started playing A Link Between Worlds, and I'm having a slight problem. I got through the first dungeon, needing the bow to activate switches to open the first door and get in.

However, trying to get into the water dungeon in the south, I spent probably an hour wandering around it trying to get in. I then looked up a guide and found out that I have to go north to the Zora's and get flippers. How was I supposed to know that?!

Now I have to go track this guy down who ran past me, and I don't know where he is. Am I supposed to be talking to someone for advice, or am I just expected to wander the map hopefully every time I get stuck. Don't get me wrong, I don't need the game to point on the map and say GO HERE, but a LITTLE direction would be nice...

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#2  Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I knew to do it because of A Link to the Past... I could see how it'd be annoying to someone who didn't know that.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

The game is about exploration. If you don't know what to do, go somewhere you haven't been yet.

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#4 Essian
Member since 2007 • 3444 Posts

@JordanElek said:

The game is about exploration. If you don't know what to do, go somewhere you haven't been yet.

And I'm enjoying the exploration, but having no direction whatsoever is just a tad offputting. I guess I should just enjoy the exploration, and let random discoveries lead me to the next part of the path

big_mak523

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 big_mak523
Member since 2011 • 210 Posts

You just kind of have to go talk to everyone and hope for the best. This just shows the predicament that Nintendo is in. People are begging for a massive Zelda, but at the same time they don't wanna just throw players in with no idea where to go. Some players might not like that as shown in this thread.

The original Zelda did it the best as the game just starts, and you have no idea where to go :P.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

How old are you?

Why do kids now-a-days demand their hand be held at every gaming moment?

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

You just gotta go somewhere else. Eventually something will open up or something will be acquired so you can explore more. There's always online guides to help you if you just get stuck.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@Essian said:

Now I have to go track this guy down who ran past me, and I don't know where he is. Am I supposed to be talking to someone for advice, or am I just expected to wander the map hopefully every time I get stuck. Don't get me wrong, I don't need the game to point on the map and say GO HERE, but a LITTLE direction would be nice...

Welcome to how games used to be when you used trial and error to find out how to progress.

stizzal13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 stizzal13
Member since 2013 • 609 Posts

@Nuck81 said:

How old are you?

Why do kids now-a-days demand their hand be held at every gaming moment?

That was my first thought. But, a lot of games today hold your hand. I can understand why OP would get frustrated.

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts

Especially at the beginning of the game you can feel quite a bit lost. Don't be afraid though, the more of the dungeons you do the easier it gets to find others you can access.
The game isn't linear by the way. So the best thing to do is just explore and keep in mind obstacles you couldn't cross earlier when you get a new item or skill.