A Detailed Ranking of the 17 Zelda Games (Worst to Best)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

Definitely add your lists and your opinions to the discussion. I don't want this to be all me. Lol. But now that I've played every single one, I can comment on each of them.

17 - Four Swords

A fun little short puzzle-solving game. Only 2-3 hours. Intended for multiplayer, but only single player is practically feasible. Not on par with the other full adventures.

16 - Four Swords Adventure

This sequel to Four Swords is a full-sized game, but like the original, it's not practical to play through with 3 friends offline. Should be re-released on Wii U with online co-op. Also, this game borrows too much from ALTTP.

15 - Phantom Hourglass

I don't hate it. It does everything nice, but nothing impressive. The DS controls are nice, but didn't fundamentally change the game. The dungeons are nice, but they lack atmosphere and complex puzzles. Ocean King Temple was an interesting concept but they pushed repetition to its breaking point. The visuals and music are also meh. Would be a nice adventure had the other 14 games above this one existed.

14 - Zelda II: Adventure of Link

Black sheep of the series. Change is good, but this this game is less unique than it thinks it is. The original Zelda broke new ground and this game just copied its contemporaries. The combat was nice but the overworld, towns and overall immersion was lacking. The brutal difficulty with no checkpoints is regressive, as its the very same arcade quarter-eating mentality that the original Zelda strived to move away from.

13 - Twilight Princess

My 1st Zelda game, my favorite for a while, but let's be objective. It's not that big mindblowing realistic Zelda we wanted. It had ambition but lacked execution. The Twilight themes were exotic but were underused in favor of copying Ocarina of Time (fan service). The dungeons were really complex and humbling, but the story was unfocused and the overworld was disjointed. Also, at 40 hours long, its really bloated. Good game but didn't live up to its potential.

12 - Skyward Sword

Skyward Sword is half amazing and half disappointing. The color, atmosphere, animation and orchestrated sound really bring it to life. The dungeons are really creative with imaginative puzzles. The pre-dungeon areas made the adventure seamless. But, like Twilight Princess, it was a really bloated game at 40+ hours making it difficult to replay. The pacing was ruined by tons of intelligence-insulting mandatory fetch quests. If only the game was as minimalist on its length as it was on its art style...

11 - Spirit Tracks

Improves Phantom Hourglass in every way. Better dungeon puzzles, music, story and Tower of Spirits is much better than Ocean Kings. Zelda herself is an actual character now rather than a trophy to be won. The train overworld and how you have to travel back and forth through it isn't exciting. The overworld is really shallow, and the blurry low-poly visuals don't make the scenery appealing for a train ride either. Still, of all the Zelda games outside of my top 10, this one is the most creative.

10 - Oracle of Seasons

A pretty fun game. Focuses on action and combat, compared to the Ages counterpart. Follows the Zelda formula a little bit too much, but is still good. The seasons rod was a nice but shallow concept, as was the return of the original Zelda bosses. It's more of Link's Awakening, for those who want it. One last thing, that Sword and Shield dungeon was really cool!

09 - Oracle of Ages

Prefer over Seasons because its a little more inventive. This game focuses more on puzzles, and it definitely is one of the best Zelda games from a puzzle and dungeon standpoint. The time travel has been done quite a bit before, but its still quite good here. It's a faithful addition to the series, like its Seasons counter part, a GBC classic.

08 - The Minish Cap

For a GBA game, this title manages to pack so much personality. Considering its low-res, the graphics and sound are really atmospheric. Dungeons feel like places. The cloning and minish-shrinking introduces nice new puzzles. The overworld is driven toward a linear campaign, but the shortcuts and kinship stones makes it seamless to explore. The story is also cool. All around great adventure.

07 - The Legend of Zelda

Classic. Transformed games from arcade to adventure. This game's simplicity gives it a lot of replay value. The sense of discovery, non-linearity and exploration has been abandoned by so many other Zelda games. Of course, from a technical standpoint, this game is simple, but its just super-accessible. You can pick it up and play it in 10 minutes. Makes it so easy and fun to revisit. No two player's playthroughs of this game will be the same.

06 - The Wind Waker

Opinions of this game have dramatically shifted over the years. It was once reviled but now a classic. Always loved it. The atmosphere, music, story and radial open overworld gave lots of freedom. The HD version makes sailing the sea even more fun. The Achilles heel of the game is the lazily-designed dungeons, but that aside its a near-perfect game.

(I'll get to the top 5 soon. I'mma take a break)

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#2 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

I just want to say that I'm happy to see Skyward Sword so low on the list. It was one of my least favorite Zeldas.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 drekula2

I can totally understand that. For many Zelda fans, it was the final straw. It's funny how much hype there was toward it and how many people got angry at Gamespot for giving it a 7.5/10.

I really think the game had potential. There was too much fluff and filler in it. Had there been a decent warping system and the length of the game was cut from 40 hours to 20 hours, I'd be replaying it like crazy. But I'm often a busy person. Like when I get home from work and I only have an hour to play a game, I'm not going to be spending that hour collecting fish notes underwater or dowsing everywhere for a windmill piece just so I can get to "the really good part" of the game.

Aquat1cF1sh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Aquat1cF1sh
Member since 2006 • 11096 Posts

Interesting list! I wonder if your top two are the same as my top two. I've only played six Zelda games before so my list is pretty short.

6. Oracle of Seasons Great game but it's my least favorite because of the labyrinth of an overworld called Holodrum. That world is a gigantic pain to navigate through; I'd rather go through the Temple of the Ocean King a thousand times than navigate through Holodrum again. Unlike Labrynna which had two full sized maps to explore where everything was spread out, Oracle of Seasons only had the main Holodrum and then the much smaller Subrosia. It seems like in order to make up for the smaller map size, they just made Holodrum a giant maze so it would take longer to explore. Also Oracle of Seasons isn't as puzzle-y as the others. I really liked the seasons concept though.

5. Oracle of Ages A lot like Oracle of Seasons, except with more puzzles and a way less irritating overworld! It was this Zelda game that made me realize that the puzzles are my favorite part of Zelda games. I also like the dungeons more in Oracle of Ages, especially Mermaid's Cave and Jabu-Jabu's Belly. It was nice being able to visit the Zoras again. Finally I like the music in the game more too, especially the present Lynna City.

4. Phantom Hourglass My first Zelda game which I loved at the time (still do, in a way). The boss battles are great and I really exploring the open sea. And Linebeck is awesome, haha. Like it more than the Oracle games because of the fun exploration and the great side activities like finding all the Gorons on the island and the Anouki puzzle on the Isle of Frost. I really hope the Anouki appear in future games. The only thing I really didn't care for in the game was, like most other people, the Temple of the Ocean King, because of the repetition but also because I don't really care for the whole central dungeon idea to begin with.

3. Spirit Tracks Like Phantom Hourglass but with a better central dungeon! And that's really the only reason why I like it slightly more. I prefer the sailing in Phantom Hourglass but the Ocean King temple is too tedious. Spirit Tracks still has a colorful world that's fun to explore, and Zelda is actually a main/playable character which was a nice touch. Also the overworld theme owns.

2. A Link Between Worlds The first game on this list I think is freaking awesome. Love this game to death. The overworld, the music, the dungeons, everything. Was so happy when this won GOTY award here, it really deserved it. I loved the open feel and how you weren't forced to do (most) of the dungeons at any time. The wall painting mechanic was really inventive had a lot of good implementations, and I liked the anti-Zelda/Hilda character and hope she returns in the future. My only complaint is that I thought the game was a bit too easy, although that might have been because the Swamp Palace was my first dungeon of the last seven so I got the blue mail really early.

1. Ocarina of Time As flawless a game as you're gonna get. Fantastic dungeon designs, great music, it's really hard to hate this game. I went in expecting this to be the most overrated game ever (didn't grow up with Zelda, this #1 spot isn't based on nostalgia) but ended up falling love with it. The characters, boss battles, everything. It's on par with A Link Between Worlds but I thought it was more challenging. The Forest Temple is my favorite Zelda dungeon, with the eerie music and ghosts and outdoor castle gardens and just, well, everything. My only complaint is the basically empty Hyrule Field, although that's not really a complaint as much as a "they could have done more with this" comment.

Wind Waker or Skyward Sword will likely be my next game based on their interesting exotic overworlds.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By drekula2

So you mostly played the portable ones, the ones most people ignore in favor of the 3d games.

Just a warning with Skyward. Its a long game and it will test your patience. You might want to stick with TWW first.

TTUalumni13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#6 TTUalumni13
Member since 2013 • 842 Posts

1. LTTP

2. Wind Waker

Don't like any of the others enough to list them.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#7  Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Solid list, I find myself agreeing with a lot of your placement, actually. Not all (I'd rank Four Swords Adventures higher) but still we have a lot of the same views (I like Ages better than Seasons).

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts

Top 8 out of the ones I played most.

8. Spirit Tracks
7. Link's Awakening
6. Skyward Sword
5. Oracle of Seasons
4. A Link Between Worlds
3. Oracle of Ages
2. The Wind Waker
1. Twilight Princess (deal with it)

big_mak523

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 big_mak523
Member since 2011 • 210 Posts

I'll go top 5 since I don't feel like listing all of them.

1. Wind Waker
  2. A link Between Worlds
  3. Skyward Sword
  4. A Link to the Past
  5. Ocarina of Time.
trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Can't be bothered doing them all.

I'll make a short list, and note that this list may change, but it's just how I feel right now:

1. Majora's Mask

2. Wind Waker

3. Minish Cap

4. Ocarina of Time

5. A Link to the Past

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts

Cant agree with that list at all. My top placement would be

Twilight Princess

Skyward Sword

Ocarina of Time

A Link Between Worlds

A Link to the Past

Its funny the TC would hold fluff against Skyward Sword but then list Wind Waker so high, which is the king of fluff in the series. Need I mention the Triforce quest?

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

TC You've already made 2 rank/rate Zelda games threads before:

Drekula2's other rank zelda games thread

Another Drekula2 Rank/Rate Zelda Games thread

And other rank/rate Zelda game threads all here on the Gamespot Nintendo boards:

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/nintendo-discussion-1000001/where-does-twilight-princess-rank-on-your-top-favo-26702455/

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/nintendo-discussion-1000001/rank-the-console-zeldas-29174202/

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/games-discussion-1000000/favorite-zelda-games-in-order-26405930/

Stop.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 drekula2

@Sepewrath said:

Its funny the TC would hold fluff against Skyward Sword but then list Wind Waker so high, which is the king of fluff in the series. Need I mention the Triforce quest?

The Wind Waker HD fixes these problems by speeding up sailing and essentially cutting the Triforce Quest in half. So the player has a choice whether they want to play the regular version or the HD remake, which my ranking keeps in mind.

If Skyward Sword makes an HD remake that removes the fluff, I'll bump it up the list too, but that would be harder to do as TWW's fluff was easy to surgically cut out whereas SS's poor design choices are baked into its DNA.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#15 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

@drekula2 said:

@Sepewrath said:

The Wind Waker HD fixes these problems by speeding up sailing and essentially cutting the Triforce Quest in half. So the player has a choice whether they want to play the regular version or the HD remake, which my ranking keeps in mind.

If Skyward Sword makes an HD remake that removes the fluff, I'll bump it up the list too, but that would be harder to do as TWW's fluff was easy to surgically cut out whereas SS's poor design choices are baked into its DNA.

Wind Waker's amazing. Not other way around it. Triforce Quest was fun since it was such a well crafted world. It encouraged more exploration and fleshed it out. I never minded it and on repeat plays I still don't mind it.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#16  Edited By Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

It's hard to put them in an order because the bar across the series is so high, it's not like any of them outright suck or are even middling. But I gotta agree with the high place for The Minish Cap, IMO one of the most underated and least talked about of the Zelda's despite being one of the most enjoyable.

The-Butcher248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 The-Butcher248
Member since 2012 • 466 Posts

For Games I've played:

1) A Link to the Past

2) Twilight Princess

3) The Legend of Zelda (NES)

4) Link's Awakening

5) Majora's Mask

6) Link

7) Hyrule Warriors

To be Played:

1) Ocarina of Time

2) Skyward Sword

3) Wind Waker

4) A Link In Between Worlds

5) MInish Cap

6) Any other portable titles.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

Please lock this thread @charizard1605_@charizard1605- This TC has made numerous versions of this exact same thread as I posted in the links above.

DonRoosevelt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 DonRoosevelt
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

Here's my top five:

1. Link Between Worlds

2. A Link to the Past

3. The Legend of Zelda

4. Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

5. Windwaker

manbaconyolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 manbaconyolo
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

i beat the legend of zelda when i was 6 about 10 minutes after my friends big brother ridiculed me for not knowing there was a 'red ring' and i haven't really looked back since. I'm old / lucky enough to have played all of the zelda titles as they were released save the first 2 so i think i have a pretty unique perspective here. Here are my rankings based purely on fun / replay value as well as my not so distinct bias against hand held games.

1. The Ocarina of Time (tldr)

2. A Link to the Past (might have been the most fun but i really can't remember all that well as i haven't played it in 20 years.)

3. Majora's Mask (Goron mask is love, goron mask is life!)

4. Twilight Princess (best temples but the time in between temples as only a dog was painful)

5. A Link Between Worlds (the quality of this game probably deserves a higher ranking but handhelds suck :) )

6. Wind Waker (too easy)

7. Links Awakening (should probably be higher as well)

8. The Legend of Zelda (classic)

9. Spirit Tracks (too easy)

10. Phantom Hourglass (would probably be 5 spots higher if we didn't have to do the same temple 5 times)

11. Skyward Sword (amazing controls but too much derivation from the story line)

12. Minish Cap (i never replayed any of the titles following this one!)

13. Oracle of Ages (ok)

14. Oracle of Seasons (boggle)

15. Links Crossbow Training (surprisingly fun, but not a zelda game)

16. Hyrule Warriors (ew)

Never played : zelda 2, four swords or four swords adventures.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#21  Edited By wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts

@manbaconyolo said:

1. The Ocarina of Time

2. A Link to the Past

Your opinion is correct.

TrevorZyla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TrevorZyla
Member since 2015 • 76 Posts

My favourite of the 3D Zeldas is Twilight Princess, 2D is a tie between A Link to the Past and A Link Between Worlds.

Stereodant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Stereodant
Member since 2015 • 32 Posts

I understand why Skyward Sword is so mixed, but damn will it always be near the top for me.

dragonboygt204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#24 dragonboygt204
Member since 2010 • 40 Posts

From what i've played:

1. Wind Waker- Zelda is about exploration(for me atleast), and boy does it deliver.(Finished)

2. Twilight Princess-I know its linear and all, but its just so epic and feels like such a wonderful experience from start to end.(Finished)

3. Ocarina Of Time-Its good but has not aged that well.(Played)

4. Majora's Mask-Felt completely alone not liking this one.(Played)

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 drekula2

2015 List.

1. A Link to the Past
  2. Ocarina of Time
  3. The Wind Waker (+3 ; the more i play, the more i appreciate the atmosphere and story)
  4. A Link Between Worlds
  5. Link's Awakening
  6. Oracle of Ages (+3, puzzles are really innovative)
  7. Skyward Sword (+5 ; many flaws aside, i enjoy this game. it looks and plays unique)
  8. Majora's Mask (-3 ; its a nice idea, but i think other zelda games are simply better)
  9. Legend of Zelda (-2, maze level design is both immersive and kinda annoying)
  10. Oracle of Seasons
  11. The Minish Cap (-3, really lacking in innovation)
  12. Twilight Princess (+1)
  13. Phantom Hourglass (+2, aside from the backtracking, it's a decent game)
  14. Adventure of Link (+2, its kinda fun in short bursts, i guess)
  15. Four Sword Adventures (+1)
  16. Spirit Tracks (-5, this game is just so annoying)
  17. Four Swords
achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts

@nini200 said:

Please lock this thread This TC has made numerous versions of this exact same thread as I posted in the links above.

Yet your the only one really complaining. Why not let people enjoy the thread ya wet blanket

I forgot, a thread can only be made once on the internet :p

1. Majora

1. Minnish

2. LTTP

3. Seasons & Ages (basically consider it one big adventure)

4. Wind Waker

5. OOT

6. SS

7. TP

Too lazy to keep going.

edit: completely forgot about LBW, put that between Minnish and LTTP.

tonymonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By tonymonk
Member since 2015 • 29 Posts

This series was built on Zelda as a trophy to be won. And that's why I liked it. But it will take more than a little change of goals to knock me off the bandwagon.

Gorillanator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Gorillanator
Member since 2009 • 867 Posts

@stereodant said:

I understand why Skyward Sword is so mixed, but damn will it always be near the top for me.

I agree. It was such a well made game. The only real problem I had with it was that the tutorials treated you like a moron.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#29 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

Old thread.

-Locked-