720p at low frame rate? Do you want it?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Danjoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Danjoz
Member since 2005 • 92 Posts

As you might have heard of in another threat in this forum, the Wii is capable of showing HD rez but with a very bad frame rate. Do you remember Perfect Dark? It supported the Expansion Pak for the N64. The frame rate sucked but the graphics were great!

All right, IF Nintendo would release some kind of software that let's the Wii use 720i or 720p, but at a low frame rate, would you download it and use it?

AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts
well i dont see y the frame rate would be bad. ps2 had some games run 1080i. uh gt4 and tourist trophy and both of those games were awesome graphically.
DGM09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DGM09
Member since 2003 • 432 Posts
As you might have heard of in another threat in this forum, the Wii is capable of showing HD rez but with a very bad frame rate.

I stopped reading there.
Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts
As you might have heard of in another threat in this forum, the Wii is capable of showing HD rez but with a very bad frame rate.

I stopped reading there.
CerealEater

I for one, would rather have bad graphics but good frame rate because that was the original sacrifice. Why change it?
solidsnakeEx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#5 solidsnakeEx3
Member since 2004 • 26413 Posts
Why the hell do people assume that HD = low framerate?  PS2 had 1080i, Xbox had 720p.  I'm quite sure that HD as an option would be plausible.  It'd only lower framerate if a lot was happening on the screen.
DGM09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DGM09
In all honesty...I'd like people to inform themselves of the HD subject before posting incorrect statements and assumptions. That is all.
Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Duckman5
Why the hell do people assume that HD = low framerate? PS2 had 1080i, Xbox had 720p. I'm quite sure that HD as an option would be plausible. It'd only lower framerate if a lot was happening on the screen.solidsnakeEx3

We don't assume,  we know.  It is like overclocking a computer with a processor that can't handle it. the Wii was not made to go HD. It can happen, but at the same time the increase in graphics would overload the rest of the components not made to go HD. The PS3 and XBox have all theire parts specifically made for HD. So in the Wii their WILL be a drop in framerate.  
AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 AsadMahdi59

oh and to answer the question. yes i'd love it if they made games in HD

DGM09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DGM09
[QUOTE="solidsnakeEx3"]Why the hell do people assume that HD = low framerate? PS2 had 1080i, Xbox had 720p. I'm quite sure that HD as an option would be plausible. It'd only lower framerate if a lot was happening on the screen.Duckman5

We don't assume, we know. It is like overclocking a computer with a processor that can't handle it. the Wii was not made to go HD. It can happen, but at the same time the increase in graphics would overload the rest of the components not made to go HD. The PS3 and XBox have all theire parts specifically made for HD. So in the Wii their WILL be a drop in framerate.

Oh for god's sake...
Avatar image for Regginator14520
Regginator14520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 Regginator14520
Member since 2006 • 1094 Posts
Nintendo is not Sony or Microsoft...  they do things a bit differently....  as mentioned before the Wii even released, Wii is not about the graphics, its about the innovation of gameplay. Now some of you are wishing for 720p or higher resolutions in general. You should of thought about that before you bought the Wii...   and to answer your questions, no I do not want 720p at a low frame rate, that is trash. 
SuzumeCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 SuzumeCake
Member since 2006 • 4347 Posts
Kirby on Virtual Console is better than many of the HD games...  what does it mean?
Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Duckman5
[QUOTE="Duckman5"][QUOTE="solidsnakeEx3"]Why the hell do people assume that HD = low framerate? PS2 had 1080i, Xbox had 720p. I'm quite sure that HD as an option would be plausible. It'd only lower framerate if a lot was happening on the screen.CerealEater

We don't assume, we know. It is like overclocking a computer with a processor that can't handle it. the Wii was not made to go HD. It can happen, but at the same time the increase in graphics would overload the rest of the components not made to go HD. The PS3 and XBox have all theire parts specifically made for HD. So in the Wii their WILL be a drop in framerate.

Oh for god's sake...

Let's hear your explanation.
DGM09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DGM09
[QUOTE="CerealEater"][QUOTE="Duckman5"][QUOTE="solidsnakeEx3"]Why the hell do people assume that HD = low framerate? PS2 had 1080i, Xbox had 720p. I'm quite sure that HD as an option would be plausible. It'd only lower framerate if a lot was happening on the screen.Duckman5

Oh for god's sake...

AGAIN? Do I really have to state it all over again?
AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 AsadMahdi59

Kirby on Virtual Console is better than many of the HD games...  what does it mean?SuzumeCake

nothing really. just because some hd games are bad doesnt mean all of them are. y cant we have good gameplay with good graphics?not saying wiis graphics are bad though

Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Duckman5
[QUOTE="Duckman5"][QUOTE="CerealEater"][QUOTE="Duckman5"][QUOTE="solidsnakeEx3"]Why the hell do people assume that HD = low framerate? PS2 had 1080i, Xbox had 720p. I'm quite sure that HD as an option would be plausible. It'd only lower framerate if a lot was happening on the screen.CerealEater

Oh for god's sake...

AGAIN? Do I really have to state it all over again?

Yes.
danneswegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 danneswegman
Member since 2005 • 12937 Posts
no. i rather have good lokling 480P games with good framerate. but i would like good games with 60fps and 720P the most, ofcourse. The 720P comment is a rumoured quote... and even in that rumoured quote the guy said it wouldn't run a full game at good framerate..
Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Duckman5
[QUOTE="danneswegman"]no. i rather have good lokling 480P games with good framerate. but i would like good games with 60fps and 720P the most, ofcourse. The 720P comment is a rumoured quote... and even in that rumoured quote the guy said it wouldn't run a full game at good framerate..

But 480p games aren't good looking....
DGM09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DGM09
*sigh*
The XBOX could perform 720p (yes, yes...even 1080i, but that is almost the same amount of pixels) and look at its specs. The processor is essentially the same (with the Wii's architecture being slightly better, if I'm not mistaken), the Wii's GPU is superior and the Wii's memory is MUCH higher (XBOX's is 64 MB DDR SDRAM ; while the Wii's is 88 MB, 24 internal 1T-SRAM and 64 MB external  GDDR3 RAM).
So, let us see: the Wii beats the XBOX in everything (memory by FAR) and yet it wouldn't be able to play 720p games decently? Right. The only resolution it would certainly be not able to play would be 1080p. All the others are possible.
Making the resolution increase doesn't always result in drastical frame rate drops. For 720p, the FPS average should be essentially the same. When it'd get to 1080p, unless the game's graphics were to take a blow, it would be bad.

reyad-u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 reyad-u
Member since 2006 • 6960 Posts
the is capable of outputting 720p but it also capable of doing it at a decent FPS as long its programmed right. but since it would take longer to get the wii to run in 720p with a decent frame rate i would rather they spend that time making the game even better. in short dont even bother with the 720p even if it is capable of it just make the game good.
wickerman2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 wickerman2004
Member since 2004 • 3878 Posts

I for one, would rather have bad graphics but good frame rate Duckman5

same here, and if the Wii has 'bad' graphics.....then i must be blind cos i ain't seeing them

merch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#21 merch
Member since 2005 • 4235 Posts
well maybe there holding it out for a year and one firm ware update allows people with components to run at a higher res. remember nintendo never said anything major about the system never getting that update and it could happen and framerate would only go down if the game isnt compatable with that res. it could happan some where along the line. heck they relese a update every month.
Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Duckman5
well maybe there holding it out for a year and one firm ware update allows people with components to run at a higher res. remember nintendo never said anything major about the system never getting that update and it could happen and framerate would only go down if the game isnt compatable with that res. it could happan some where along the line. heck they relese a update every month.merch

That is possible. You never know.
solidsnakeEx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#23 solidsnakeEx3
Member since 2004 • 26413 Posts
[QUOTE="solidsnakeEx3"]Why the hell do people assume that HD = low framerate? PS2 had 1080i, Xbox had 720p. I'm quite sure that HD as an option would be plausible. It'd only lower framerate if a lot was happening on the screen.Duckman5

I said PS2 and Xbox (The first), not the PS3 and 360.
Avatar image for kefkaconchetuma
kefkaconchetuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 kefkaconchetuma
Member since 2006 • 674 Posts
i want a soft and fluid frame rate in my games 60 fp if possible for the rest i don't care to much and the graphics can still be decent on wii so im cool with that.
danneswegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 danneswegman
Member since 2005 • 12937 Posts
[QUOTE="Duckman5"][QUOTE="danneswegman"]no. i rather have good lokling 480P games with good framerate. but i would like good games with 60fps and 720P the most, ofcourse. The 720P comment is a rumoured quote... and even in that rumoured quote the guy said it wouldn't run a full game at good framerate..

But 480p games aren't good looking....

on SD tv's they are.. but they suck on a HD screen true... I really would like the Wii to display in 720P.. all i have is HD screens and a HD projector.... So it basicly lloks pretty bad.. point tis... i like the games too much and the Wii can't do games in 720P... so what to do.... Well i just play the games on my smallest HD screen.. and it looks okay (if it's a game developers put some effort in to). i rather have smooth running games at a decent frame rate than a prettier game running at 15 FPS....
weazur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 weazur
Member since 2006 • 321 Posts

screw graphics, frame rate is very important to motion based gaming....

You'd have to move in slo mo to really mimic the characters