3DS XL Worth it ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Sagem28 (10498 posts) -

So, looks like my old DS has finally taken his last breath.
I got it since release and it has entertained me for hundreds of hours, unfortunately the battery is pretty much dead...

So, I figured it's time to buy myself 3DS XL.
So I got two questions: Is the screen significantly larger compared to the regular 3DS ? Is it backwards compatible with DS games ?

#2 Posted by Bigboi500 (30560 posts) -

Yes and yes. I own both versions and imo the XL is miles better. Bigger screen, better feel, less glare and better stylus placement.

#3 Posted by Sagem28 (10498 posts) -

Yes and yes. I own both versions and imo the XL is miles better. Bigger screen, better feel, less glare and better stylus placement.

Bigboi500

That's all I needed to know.

It's a bit more expensive but it'll be worth it.

Thanks a bunch.

#4 Posted by Chickan_117 (16329 posts) -

I'll add my 2 cents as I just upgraded my 3DS to a 3DS XL.

Playing DS titles is amazingly better on the XL. Due to the different resolutions it stretches the image to fit the 3DS screen which, on games like Dragon Quest, can make them look blurry and avg. You can bypass this by holding select when you start the game however, on the 3DS this made the image way too small.

On the 3DS XL doing this makes it nice and sharp plus it displays at a decent size for playing. So much win :)

Please ignore the slight bluriness of the photo... that's my fault not the 3DS

580374_274551092664585_564669193_n.jpg

Only downside is that 3DS games look a little blurry now... but that's probably just because I'm so used to playing the 3DS

#5 Posted by Sagem28 (10498 posts) -

I'll add my 2 cents as I just upgraded my 3DS to a 3DS XL.

Playing DS titles is amazingly better on the XL. Due to the different resolutions it stretches the image to fit the 3DS screen which, on games like Dragon Quest, can make them look blurry and avg. You can bypass this by holding select when you start the game however, on the 3DS this made the image way too small.

On the 3DS XL doing this makes it nice and sharp plus it displays at a decent size for playing. So much win :)

Please ignore the slight bluriness of the photo... that's my fault not the 3DS

580374_274551092664585_564669193_n.jpg

Only downside is that 3DS games look a little blurry now... but that's probably just because I'm so used to playing the 3DS

Chickan_117

Thanks for the input.
I actually went to buy a 3DS XL, immediately after the first reply of this thread :lol:

What Dragon Quest are you playing ? I only have IX.

#6 Posted by ArchoNils2 (6238 posts) -

XL is much, much better than the normal 3DS and the only reason I got back to 3DS games

#7 Posted by Chickan_117 (16329 posts) -

What Dragon Quest are you playing ? I only have IX.

Sagem28

That one's IV : Chapters of the Chosen. The only other one I've played is 9 too :) If you're interested in VI then ozgameshop.com have it for $17 AU delivered (region free... yay!)

#8 Posted by JustBoomer (188 posts) -

The 3DS XL is much better then the first 3DS for me.

#9 Posted by joshrocker (18 posts) -
The resolution was my biggest complaint against the 3dsxl. They took a fairly low resolution screen and made it bigger, as a result games will actually look slightly worse then they do on the 3ds mini.
#10 Posted by SuperFlakeman (7411 posts) -

XL also has ~30 mins more battery life.

The d-pad is much better and more comfortable due to the extra plastic below it.

You also get a 4GB SD card as opposed to 2GB that comes with the original.

It's a no brainer.

#11 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (6726 posts) -
The XL screen is pretty awesome... I think it's definitely worth it.
#12 Posted by HotelShy (28 posts) -

If you dont already have a 3ds, then yesh get the Xl. :]

#13 Posted by mariokart64fan (19629 posts) -

yes but be careful its not built as good as the first model , if it drops once the screen cracks ,

#14 Posted by Heirren (18461 posts) -
I finally got some in depth hands on time with the Xl. I honestly wouldnt recommend it. The bigger screens are nice, but it isn't worth the drop in screen quality. Even more so than the more noticeable pixels, the color accuracy is all out of whack. Also, the thing feels like a Tonka toy. I'm surprised so many people recommend it.
#15 Posted by Justinps2hero (2181 posts) -
I think the XL looks neat, I'm sure its something I'll look to get come the new year. But, my cosmos isn't that old, & it lacks in no department for me, so I'm happy sticking with my icle one for now. Well done Nintendo on creating a outstanding hand-held range, the DS's are revolutionary in my opinion.