3DS Web Browser Won't Support Flash or HTML5

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by F0urTwenty (1842 posts) -

Well you read the title, I can understand Flash but not HTML5 like come on seriously. Nintendo you truly fudged up on this one, I am very disappoint. Let's all hope for a Youtube Channel or a future update to add HTML5 at least, it baffles me as to why it's not supported.

Link

#2 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -

It is odd. Though I don't think I'd ever use the internet browser that much on the 3DS so I'm pretty indifferent.

#3 Posted by Ghost120x (3917 posts) -

All hope is lost for great online potential. what's next, no messaging system so all we do is see if our friend is online and nothing more.

#4 Posted by emirblade (904 posts) -

They really screwed so much potential.

#5 Posted by superfluidity (2163 posts) -

The 3DS would probably drain its battery in like 30 minutes running flash anyway.

#6 Posted by F0urTwenty (1842 posts) -

The 3DS would probably drain its battery in like 30 minutes running flash anyway.

superfluidity
This is why I can understand no flash, but no HTML5 support is just stupid IMO. Nintendo has made mistakes already with the 3ds and now it seems the want to follow that pattern.
#8 Posted by destroyerHHH (772 posts) -
HTML5 video for Youtube would have been nice... However, there's still a fair chance that a Youtube App is in the works. Since Ninntendo is already working with Netflix, its a possibility you can't really ignore.
#9 Posted by Will47 (6826 posts) -
I mostly play my DS/3DS on my bed. Seeing as my laptop is but a few feet away, I doubt I'll be using the browser that much anyway. But if it is somewhat fast and easy to use (faster and easyer than my ipod touch) then I might get a little use.
#10 Posted by OreoMilkshake (12825 posts) -

I knew that would happen.

#11 Posted by LaytonsCat (3652 posts) -

Not surprising, anyone who thought otherwises was fooling themselves

#12 Posted by knightseason (1260 posts) -

Its not a big deal to me. How much is anyone going to use the browser anyway.

#13 Posted by iAmAbel (860 posts) -

I was hoping they had it! then again im on ma laptop a lot -_-

#14 Posted by Rod90 (7266 posts) -
OK. Just great. Good for Nintendo and his new handheld. Hooray.
#15 Posted by chisoxrule (1819 posts) -

Why are people complaining? It's a portable game console, not a laptop or tablet PC.

#16 Posted by forgot_it (6756 posts) -

knightseason
People would have used it if it was worth using.
#17 Posted by godfather_1 (562 posts) -
[QUOTE="superfluidity"]

F0urTwenty
This is why I can understand no flash, but no HTML5 support is just stupid IMO. Nintendo has made mistakes already with the 3ds and now it seems the want to follow that pattern.

HTML5 is still in its infancy and hasn't been properly optimised yet to use resources efficiently compared to Flash. So Flash would actually run better on 3DS than HTML5 for now that is.
#18 Posted by DealRogers (4569 posts) -

Seriously, the 3DS has a lot of flaws and I still love it. My love for Nintendo is big for sure.

#19 Posted by helwa1988 (2103 posts) -
not really an issue. i think flash on 3ds would run quite slow anyway.
#20 Posted by Blabadon (26660 posts) -

Darn. Can't go on GameSpot Forums on a 3DS. HTML5 should be in the basics of the browsers.

#21 Posted by iAmAbel (860 posts) -

But but but but!!!!!! They said its more powerful lthen the wii and the wii has youtube!

#22 Posted by Rod90 (7266 posts) -

But but but but!!!!!! They said its more powerful lthen the wii and the wii has youtube!

iAmAbel
Youtube stopped working for me on the Wii browser.
#23 Posted by ANIMEguy10034 (4772 posts) -

No flash or HTML5?
The 3DS browser is not worthy of my time, but I'm hoping for future updates.

#24 Posted by iAmAbel (860 posts) -

[QUOTE="iAmAbel"]

Rod90

Your funny :D

#25 Posted by DGonlag (834 posts) -

knightseason

This. Why would you care about a browser on a handheld anyway? Come on, it never works very well on a mobile device/handheld.

For internet i have my laptop.

#26 Posted by Rod90 (7266 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rod90"][QUOTE="iAmAbel"]

iAmAbel

Your funny :D

I am sorry? I didn't made a joke... youtube does not work anymore on my wii browser.
#27 Posted by DJ_Lae (42748 posts) -
Here the lack of resolution in the screens is a much bigger concern to me than the lack of Flash or HTML5. I expect the 3DS will offer an internet browsing experience slightly above the one offered by the DSi - essentially garbage. Which is fine, it's a system built for gaming, and the screens are not web friendly.
#28 Posted by FPS1337 (2517 posts) -
that's really stupid, no HTML 5, I hope that Nintendo has done something to make up for this or this is just false, but I was almost positive it would HTML5 atleast, like that's the only reason why someone would use the 3DS's web browser, to watch youtube 3D.
#30 Posted by Gamingclone (5224 posts) -

Im not surprised, besides, we shoudnt blame Nintendo for lack of flash/ html5, we need to blame which ever company is making the web browser for them.

Also, lets not be quick to forget that originally, the Wii didnt support flash. But later (granted a few years, but still) the Wii web broswer got flash. The 3DS browser could be the same.

#32 Posted by PoisoN_Facecam0 (3734 posts) -
No flash, no HTML5.. whats the point then??
#33 Posted by PoisoN_Facecam0 (3734 posts) -

Im not surprised, besides, we shoudnt blame Nintendo for lack of flash/ html5, we need to blame which ever company is making the web browser for them.

Also, lets not be quick to forget that originally, the Wii didnt support flash. But later (granted a few years, but still) the Wii web broswer got flash. The 3DS browser could be the same.

Gamingclone
No, we should blame nintendo, if they said, we want HTML5 and Flash the company would have to do it somehow, but they obviously didn't care enough to do that..
#34 Posted by Pixel-Perfect (5778 posts) -

Hrm. Well, they'll probably update it on the inevitable redesigns. :| Hurray.

#35 Posted by Mii_ller (238 posts) -

It dosen't really matter to me. Flash isn't the most important thing on the web, and HTML5 isn't really that common yet. I'm sure once HTML5 becomes more common, Nintendo will make an update. And we'll just have to wait and see if theres gonna be an update for flash, which would be nice.

The 3DS browser isn't really made to replace the internet on computers or laptops, but it would be easy to pause a game and look for game hints or check your facebook if you don't want to run to your computer and boot it up.

#36 Posted by darth-pyschosis (9322 posts) -

this is a nintendo console. You're lucky it does anything web related in a half way decent manner

I mean c'mon the 3DS has like 128MB RAM. Who wants to browse the web on that and isn't a high school student? I'm sorry but most people can and should go to a public library or will already have a better source of internet than a 3DS.

It isn't a big deal.

#37 Posted by FPS1337 (2517 posts) -

this is a nintendo console. You're lucky it does anything web related in a half way decent manner

I mean c'mon the 3DS has like 128MB RAM. Who wants to browse the web on that and isn't a high school student? I'm sorry but most people can and should go to a public library or will already have a better source of internet than a 3DS.

It isn't a big deal.

darth-pyschosis
Umm I'm pretty sure when I want to quickly just take out my mobile device and check my facebook it isn't worth going all the way to the public library.
#38 Posted by Aquat1cF1sh (10904 posts) -
This seems like it should be disappointing news but I doubt I'll use the web browser anyways, aside from trying it out for a few minutes.
#39 Posted by DealRogers (4569 posts) -

Seriously I'm starting to believe Nintendo does this only to avoid adult content from web pages in their "for all family" console. Maybe thats why we don't have messaging either, to avoid offensive words and such. :?

#40 Posted by painguy1 (8686 posts) -

oh surprise surprise....knew this was gonna happen, but at the same time..am dissapoint.

#42 Posted by Hrothgarfunkel (248 posts) -

knightseason

This is true. Who cares that much? are you hurting for devices that can surf the internet?

The same is true for a messaging system. I have email, im, text messaging, and so many other forms of cummunication on my portable devices already. Having some kind of Nintendo Messaging systems almost seems like a pain. It's just another service that I would have to check for messages, etc.

Why do you want a messaging system on a device that is only hooked up to the net when you are near a network with a bunch of other devices with messaging options?

And, I'm not sure I care if it is because you parent's will not let you message on other devices...that is your issue, I'm talking about folks with mortgages :) .

#43 Posted by darth-pyschosis (9322 posts) -

[QUOTE="darth-pyschosis"]

It isn't a big deal.

FPS1337

Umm I'm pretty sure when I want to quickly just take out my mobile device and check my facebook it isn't worth going all the way to the public library.

My point is the web browsing experience on the device likely won't be anything write home about, i understand its neat from time to time, but I doubt anyone will prefer it to various other methods of getting on the web

#44 Posted by Ovirew (6399 posts) -

Oh well. The browser doesn't seem like a very important part of the 3DS to me anyway. The games do. So you can go online and check out the news or weather if you need to, maybe check out wikipedia or google something. That's enough of a bonus.

#45 Posted by ArchoNils2 (6238 posts) -

OMG Nintendo is years behind in technology? Especially online technologies? Seriously, I didin't expect it to be any good and I use my mobile phone for surfing anyway. They should have taken away the browser icon and should have give us the possibility to set there whatever we want, like a shortcut. I could use that for the photos ^^

#46 Posted by iAmAbel (860 posts) -

Comon guys its not like we paid 250 just so we can use a browser lol

#47 Edited by Ovirew (6399 posts) -

I knew that would happen.OreoMilkshake

Awesome. Good episode of Curb, and good analogy-ish-thing. XD

#48 Posted by magtatahong (1 posts) -
im quite surprised of how no one brought up the power of 3ds to switch apps while playing i was in perfect joy when i learned that. But to learn that the browser is as useless as a 1990 browser this sux.. i bought 3ds solely for the perk to have a 3d online experience now this thx for my 3d texts LOL. Next week there's going to be a 3d phone that'll be taking the supposed customers. true story
#49 Posted by VendettaRed07 (14012 posts) -

I don't really care about flash but no HTML5 makes no sense...

#50 Posted by dontshackzmii (6026 posts) -

3ds is to weak to run flash its not a shocked to me.