3DS LL announced, Aug 19, $200

• 83 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 0

#1 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
W4ruI.png Via Nintendo Direct, streamed a few minutes ago. US one on now (as of 9pm PST). Will add more as it's available. iveJZ.jpgZjDI1.png No second stick, unfortunately. Bigger. Start/home/select buttons made actual buttons. Face buttons still too small, which is weird and unfortunate. edit - out July 28th in Japan for 18,900 yen. -out August 19th for $200 in North America -AC adaper included for NA (Japan doesn't get one) -retina display @2m -no white for NA/EU Crude screen comparisons I whipped together. Top screens: wIFJr.jpg Bottom screens (also top for DS models): 3MaQG.jpg
FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 FPS1337
Member since 2009 • 2519 Posts
that honestly looks so awesome, hopefully a nice circle pad pro attachment will come out at launch because I'm definitely buying one.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DJ_Lae
that honestly looks so awesome, hopefully a nice circle pad pro attachment will come out at launch because I'm definitely buying one.FPS1337
It does look nice...in concept, anyway. I'm hoping its main screen is a bit more vibrant than the current 3DS, and that the volume slider has been replaced by buttons. I would assume it has better battery life too, as there's room for a bigger one. Will trade in my crappy launch 3DS towards it and keep my second pink on.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
Surprised by no second stick. Personally I was hoping for a more compact unit. Looks alright, though. I wonder hoe the screen is. 3DS is rather low resolution...
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DJ_Lae
Surprised by no second stick. Personally I was hoping for a more compact unit. Looks alright, though. I wonder hoe the screen is. 3DS is rather low resolution...Heirren
That's my other concern. The 3DS screen is already visibly pixelated at its current size - blowing it up again seems like it'll be another DSi XL where it all becomes even blockier. But I'll take that as a tradeoff if the colours/contrast are better and the viewing angle is improved.
sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

I htink it looks Awesome, might have to trade in one of my 3ds' to help bring the cost down.

gamer_CNSK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gamer_CNSK
Member since 2010 • 175 Posts
What I would like to see (not knowing at all if it is possible) is a sort of clip on 2nd circle pad you could clip under the face buttons and have it be wireless. I am sure there are all sorts of problems with that idea, but it can't stop me from wanting it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
[QUOTE="Heirren"]Surprised by no second stick. Personally I was hoping for a more compact unit. Looks alright, though. I wonder hoe the screen is. 3DS is rather low resolution...DJ_Lae
That's my other concern. The 3DS screen is already visibly pixelated at its current size - blowing it up again seems like it'll be another DSi XL where it all becomes even blockier. But I'll take that as a tradeoff if the colours/contrast are better and the viewing angle is improved.

Is this legit for the US market? I don't get the lust for the bigger unit. The DSxl was just tooooooo big. The screen was a mess. Now, the 3Ds needed a redesign, but I'm not sure how much of an improvement this is. By making it larger, there's no excuse for not including the second stick. Imagine how big it will be with an LL Circle Pad Pro, or do they expect people not to play those games?
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts
This news is interesting, since Nintendo said weeks ago they weren't releasing a remake of the 3DS.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DJ_Lae
Is this legit for the US market? I don't get the lust for the bigger unit. The DSxl was just tooooooo big. The screen was a mess. Now, the 3Ds needed a redesign, but I'm not sure how much of an improvement this is. By making it larger, there's no excuse for not including the second stick. Imagine how big it will be with an LL Circle Pad Pro, or do they expect people not to play those games?Heirren
Or Kid Icarus, which would be incredibly awkward with this thing. I'm not entirely sure, to be honest. I was hoping for a DS/DSi type increase of maybe 25%, big enough to pack in a larger battery and maybe put some proper size face buttons on there, just not so big as to end up with another DSi XL. But I guess the XL must have sold well for them to go this route. And you're right, this thing with a circle pad pro addon is going to be as big as a WiiU controller. And in all likelihood a WiiU won't cost much more than this when it launches.
ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

Hmm... A larger 3DS would be useful for viewing DS games in their native resolution.

I'm happy with the current size so I might skip this one.

12qazx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 12qazx
Member since 2005 • 1435 Posts

To be honest, I do kind of want it. I feel as if the current 3DS screen size is a bit small but that could just be me. With this other 3DS I can see whats on the screen better without having to put the 3DS closer to my face.

Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
Yes, it was confirmed that it will have a longer battery life.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#14 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
Way too big. Though, the rounded design is nicer - new colours are nice too.
Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
Oh, and in America it will be available only in red and blue, so that way, it will make it look like a giant toy. Argh.
istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#16 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts
I love how there's all that extra room on the right for a second stick and yet they still saved it for next year's redesign.
moltenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 moltenix
Member since 2008 • 2487 Posts

Looks too big for my tastes; i'll stick with my current aqua blue 3DS. :)

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts
So there is a remake of the 3DS a little over a year later?? Isn't it usually supposed to be after around 2 years? Something like that.
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#19 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
And that's why I didn't buy a 3ds before. XL be mine.
thetravman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 thetravman
Member since 2003 • 3592 Posts

Wow, I'd like to see the 3D display on that big screen. And Netflix and Nintendo Video will benefit greatly from this. I currently find the screen too small for video content.

elchiquilin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 elchiquilin
Member since 2005 • 1318 Posts
I see many issues here, first obvious incompatibility with current accesories like the CPP and the Stand of KI, second the lack of a second stick, third is battery, it only improved 1.5 hours, not much imo. My concern is also the games resolution, ds games are gonna look worse, 3ds games might look a lil pixelated. I dig the new screen sizes, design and the new home, select and start buttons. However I do not see the need to update, my current model is fine, I might use that money to buy a VITA and get a little more variety. I hate that the new 3DS does not comes with a charger, it cant be that expensive.....
david_lck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 david_lck
Member since 2005 • 3211 Posts
Compared to the sleek 3DS design, this new model looks horrendous tbh. Also, no second circle pad?! :x
Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

This is great news for my dad, his eyes are pretty bad.

As for me, I'll be passing. :P

DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

I think I will stick with my current 3DS. While I would love a larger 3DS with larger screens, the resolution of 3DS games is already fairly low and playing them on a larger screen will only make the games look worse. Playing Nintendo DS or Virtual Console/DSiWare titles on the 3DS XL will likely look HORRIBLE. Nintendo DS games are already pixelated on the 3DS, and this won't help with that any. With no built in second stick now a Circle Pad Pro accessory will increase the size to a rediculiously large level and probably look even more hideous.

Trickymaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 Trickymaster
Member since 2004 • 354 Posts

I've gotta say, from a quality stand point, it's not as polished looking as the original 3DS or the DSi XL

nintendo-dsi-xl-release-date-uk-1.jpg

But oh well, it's probably to keep the cost down so I'll take it. :D

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Where is the second analog stick? That new CPP is going to be humongous!

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

im selling my launch black 3ds for this bad boy.

XeroEX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

#28 XeroEX
Member since 2008 • 495 Posts

I'm tempted to get one for the larger screens.

bdmckinley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 bdmckinley
Member since 2004 • 817 Posts
Don't know if I'll get one or not. From the side view pics it does look like they fixed the placement of the stylus. The original 3DS stylus placement is crap. The DS lite was so easy to get it out in the clutch. It seems like everytime I need the stylus in a hurry I almost drop my 3DS trying to get it out in time.
tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts
The only way I'd even consider getting this redesign is if the following things were fixed from the current design: Spacing between both screens need to be addressed. I have scratches on my top screen because it continues to hit the bottom screen every time I close it... Better sound system. I mean in term of loudness. the slightest outside noise can drown out 3DS audio at its highest settings, even with headphones on! And it get even less audible with surround sound option on.... Higher picture quality And better placement headphones headphone jack. Preferably, next to the volume slider.....
NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
I'm surprised that a 3DS variant this large didn't actually bother to implement the Circle Pad Pro functionality, even if it would become especially thick to accommodate the added zL and zR triggers. (More room for a larger battery, I suppose.) Anyway, I think I'll pass. I don't have too much complaint with the 3DS battery life as is, and the larger size may actually impede the way I hold the system in my right hand when playing something like Metroid Prime: Hunters, Kid Icarus: Uprising, or X-Scape, where I kind of cup the lower-right corner of the unit in my palm for support while wrapping the entire right edge around my hand, pinky resting on the R button. The existing 3DS is just the right size for that.
Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#32 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts
Hmm... that's a whole new level of ugly that surpasses ugly, mugly, bugly, fugly and truggly :P They don't seem to have fixed any of the problems in the original 3DS, just a bigger version. Bah.
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#33 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
I take MAJOR issue with them not including the AC adapter. WHO THE HELL DOES THAT?! "To save costs..." HOW MUCH DO AC ADAPTERS COST?! And to save the cost... but we have to buy it separately anyway?! THANK YOU FOR SAVING ME MONIEZ NINTENDO! I swear to god, Nintendo can be as stupid as any other company.
Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

This news is interesting, since Nintendo said weeks ago they weren't releasing a remake of the 3DS.hydralisk86

Actually,that was days ago.

Lol..

Talk about contradiction!

hyperjj3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#35 hyperjj3000
Member since 2008 • 974 Posts
Iv only had my 3ds a few months but im getting this without a doubt. I loved the dsi xl, i have 2!
Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Spinnerweb

[QUOTE="hydralisk86"]This news is interesting, since Nintendo said weeks ago they weren't releasing a remake of the 3DS.GreekGameManiac

Actually,that was days ago.

Lol..

Talk about contradiction!

So much for 'no plans' *giggle* :P
GamerEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GamerEye
Member since 2011 • 1607 Posts

I'm fine with my Aqua 3DS, but this will be nice for those who don't have one yet, I guess.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts
I take MAJOR issue with them not including the AC adapter. WHO THE HELL DOES THAT?! "To save costs..." HOW MUCH DO AC ADAPTERS COST?! And to save the cost... but we have to buy it separately anyway?! THANK YOU FOR SAVING ME MONIEZ NINTENDO! I swear to god, Nintendo can be as stupid as any other company.JustPlainLucas
I felt the same way when I went and bought my new Black Wii. Was excited about having it since my old white one crash and burned on me only to realized they completely took away its GC support. Heard they did it to save money. That really pissed me off....
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
You make it that much bigger...less portable...and then don't add a second stick. Why exactly?
videog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#40 videog
Member since 2011 • 327 Posts

I guiltily want this......but I'll pass anyway. I love my black 3ds as it is:D

megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 megagene
Member since 2005 • 23160 Posts
And now I will finally pull the trigger on a 3DS. I don't care about the bigger size (although it's a nice plus), I've just been waiting for a new model with better battery life.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Just read over at ign that the screen resolution is identical to the original model. Guess every 3DS game becomes a version of minecrraft.
Avatar image for Sportyfamilycar
Sportyfamilycar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Sportyfamilycar
Member since 2011 • 203 Posts

Is Nintendo mentally challenged?

Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Spinnerweb

Is Nintendo mentally challenged?

Sportyfamilycar
Reggie admittedly DID look troubled in the eShop picture of the Nintendo Direct. Just sayin' :P
Niff_T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Niff_T
Member since 2007 • 6052 Posts

I take MAJOR issue with them not including the AC adapter. WHO THE HELL DOES THAT?! "To save costs..." HOW MUCH DO AC ADAPTERS COST?! And to save the cost... but we have to buy it separately anyway?! THANK YOU FOR SAVING ME MONIEZ NINTENDO! I swear to god, Nintendo can be as stupid as any other company.JustPlainLucas

Yeah, seriously, what the **** is this ****? I'm surprised I'm not seeing more people up-in-arms over this, too. This is a seriously stupid move on Nintendo's part.

And now I will finally pull the trigger on a 3DS. I don't care about the bigger size (although it's a nice plus), I've just been waiting for a new model with better battery life. megagene

Same, but I'm a bit disappointed in the XL. Better battery life, sure, but same resolution, no AC adapter, no second stick. To be honest, I'm not even big on the screens being bigger. It makes the whole thing less portable.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="JustPlainLucas"]I take MAJOR issue with them not including the AC adapter. WHO THE HELL DOES THAT?! "To save costs..." HOW MUCH DO AC ADAPTERS COST?! And to save the cost... but we have to buy it separately anyway?! THANK YOU FOR SAVING ME MONIEZ NINTENDO! I swear to god, Nintendo can be as stupid as any other company.Niff_T

Yeah, seriously, what the **** is this ****? I'm surprised I'm not seeing more people up-in-arms over this, too. This is a seriously stupid move on Nintendo's part.

And now I will finally pull the trigger on a 3DS. I don't care about the bigger size (although it's a nice plus), I've just been waiting for a new model with better battery life. megagene

Same, but I'm a bit disappointed in the XL. Better battery life, sure, but same resolution, no AC adapter, no second stick. To be honest, I'm not even big on the screens being bigger. It makes the whole thing less portable.

I think I read at ign that an ac will be included in the US market version.
Niff_T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Niff_T
Member since 2007 • 6052 Posts

I think I read at ign that an ac will be included in the US market version.Heirren

Just saw that myself.

Let out a huge sigh of relief.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"]I think I read at ign that an ac will be included in the US market version.Niff_T

Just saw that myself.

Let out a huge sigh of relief.

It is still poorly designed, IMO. Same resolution on a screen double the size? Larger unit with no second stick? Nintendo should have changed the form and made it smaller, IMO. More compact--pocketable. How about a pspGO type of setup. I think the worst design choice was to have that second screen in the first place. It could have been a tight clamshell design, about the size of those 5inch phones, and offer proper controls. Nintendo is continueing support of the DS, anyways.
JollyGreenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 JollyGreenOne
Member since 2011 • 1001 Posts

This doesn't seem like a HUGE improvement (lol) over the original 3DS, at least judging from the aesthetics it doesn't look as good as the 3DS or DSi XL to me, and it looks even more like a DS than the 3DS. What I do like is that it seems the screens aren't glossy anymore, since reflections usually clash with the 3D effect on the original model.

This is great for those who wanted a bigger screen, better battery or just a larger system in general, but I don't really see the point of it so I'll be holding onto my original for now. And I guess this means we'll be seeing a Circle Pad Pro XL soon.

I'm not sure about Europe, but North American units will come with an AC adapter included.