3DS CAN run the Unreal Engine

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by FPS1337 (2517 posts) -

In an interview with Gamespot UK developer of Splinter Cell 3D said

"FC: The 3DS is powerful, and we are able to run the Unreal engine on this console, which is pretty impressive for a handheld machine, and the 3D doesn't affect the performance (thanks to my amazing programmers). The architecture is different compared to a Wii or some other platforms that we had to work with here at Ubisoft Montreal."

http://www.gamespot.com/3ds/action/splintercell3/news.html?sid=6305333&om_act=convert&om_clk=picks&tag=picks;title;4&mode=previews

So when it was told that the Unreal Engine can't be run on the 3DS, that was BS look at this. Just Epic being lazy, really dissapointing, but I guess it's there choice.

#2 Posted by bobbetybob (19250 posts) -
Splinter Cell uses a modified Unreal Engine 2.5, not Unreal Engine 3 which is what Epic were talking about.
#3 Posted by painguy1 (8686 posts) -

SC uses Unreal Engine 2.5, & even if it was using UE3 he shouldn't be talking. All the games Ubi has been spewing on the 3DS look like crap ESPECIALLY SC3DS.

But yeah i still believe the 3DS can run UE3 lite. If the iphone3gs/4 can run so can the 3DS. 3DS has a stronger GPU, not extremely stronger, but it is stronger. Idk about CPU & RAM, but i doubt it. Even with less RAM Infinity Blade takes like only 55-70mb of RAM & 3DS is rumored to have either 64 or 128 so it will fit somehow.

#4 Posted by SRTtoZ (4800 posts) -
^ bingo. Have you seen splinter cell 3ds? Its a joke comparing it to UE3
#5 Posted by LaytonsCat (3652 posts) -

Not the thrid, but I don't care either way and I fail to see why others do. But running the second when the thrid is out is pointless

#6 Posted by FPS1337 (2517 posts) -
oh well I guess my bad, I thought Ubisoft Montreal is talking about the Unreal Engine 3. But whatever I guess, I still believe that 3DS and Wii can run Unreal Engine 3 if the Iphone can, even if they do differ, the 3DS can produce much nicer graphics then iphone, and it is definetely able to.
#7 Posted by riariases (2335 posts) -
[QUOTE="painguy1"]

SC uses Unreal Engine 2.5, & even if it was using UE3 he shouldn't be talking. All the games Ubi has been spewing on the 3DS look like crap ESPECIALLY SC3DS.

But yeah i still believe the 3DS can run UE3 lite. If the iphone3gs/4 can run so can the 3DS. 3DS has a stronger GPU, not extremely stronger, but it is stronger. Idk about CPU & RAM, but i doubt it. Even with less RAM Infinity Blade takes like only 55-70mb of RAM & 3DS is rumored to have either 64 or 128 so it will fit somehow.

The 3DS has 64mb ram. The iPhone 4 has 512mb ram. The 3DS has two 266mhz processors(532mhz). The iPhone 4 has a 1ghz processor. The 3DS gpu is probably better i'm guessing but I can't find the specs for the iPhone 4.
#8 Posted by painguy1 (8686 posts) -

[QUOTE="painguy1"]

riariases

The 3DS has 64mb ram. The iPhone 4 has 512mb ram. The 3DS has two 266mhz processors(532mhz). The iPhone 4 has a 1ghz processor. The 3DS gpu is probably better i'm guessing but I can't find the specs for the iPhone 4.

1) I'm well aware of the iPhone 4's specs. GPU is a PowerVR SGX 535.

2) The text in red is rumors. There are other rumors aswell

3) i dont understand the point of you listing the iphone's CPU & RAM specs...what is that supposed to say? Are you trying to tell me that Infinity Blade uses 512mb of RAM & all of the iPhone's CPU? cuz i assure u thats not the case at all.

#9 Posted by mariokart64fan (19444 posts) -

asphalt 3d looks awsome so what are you smoking , i smell epic fanboyism ,

last good epic game was unreal championship on the xbox for those who care , so i dont care what epic has to say ,

theyl et me down since then

#11 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8404 posts) -
[QUOTE="mariokart64fan"]

last good epic game was unreal championship on the xbox for those who care , so i dont care what epic has to say ,

theyl et me down since then

umm gears of war series?
#12 Posted by darth-pyschosis (9322 posts) -

painguy1

The 3DS has 96MB RAM, but mind you the ability to pause a game and bring the OS as well as browse the web during gameplay takes up memory, likely 32MB I'd imagine.

And you don't know if the iPhone has a better CPU or more RAM than a 3DS? That's laughable.

The iPhone 4 has a 1Ghz CPU, and 512MB RAM. It's GPU is probably about the same, if not marginally less powerful than the 3DS.

The iPhone 5 is going to have a dual core 1.2Ghz CPU, and possibly more RAM, and a dual core GPU, because that is what is in the iPad 2G, and pretty much each gen of iPhone, iPad, and iPod share the same CPU/RAM/GPU. So, if the iPhone 4 wasn't ahead of the 3DS in terms of processing power, the iPhone 5 really will be.

#13 Posted by darth-pyschosis (9322 posts) -

[QUOTE="riariases"][QUOTE="painguy1"]

painguy1

3) i dont understand the point of you listing the iphone's CPU & RAM specs...what is that supposed to say? Are you trying to tell me that Infinity Blade uses 512mb of RAM & all of the iPhone's CPU? cuz i assure u thats not the case at all.

Because don't the 3DS and iPhone both use ARM CPUs? One is clocked higher than the other, 2x as fast actually.

And its inevitable that you games for iOS will use more RAM than a 3DS even has, the 3DS has 96MB RAM, like I said the OS ability to suspend games and browse web during play probably takes the actual RAM for games down below 96MB, and its very possible games like Infinity Blade use more RAM than the 3DS has available. I mean the 3DS has roughly 15% RAM in comparison to the 512MB of the iPhone

No one can guarantee you that the iPhone game in question use all 512MB RAM, but I assure you, not a lot of that is going to waste. I'm sure Epic is using as much as possible. Being that it runs sluggish on older handsets, and can't even be run on devices with less RAM like the 128MB units, I doubt Epic makes a game for iOS instead of traditional gaming handhelds if those devices could actually pull off whatever vision they were trying to achieve.

#14 Posted by FPS1337 (2517 posts) -

Seriously, you think that the Iphone actually uses 512mb of ram for gaming. That's actually insane considering the Xbox 360 has 512mb of Ram and the PS3 has only 256mb of ram and the iphone is terrible compared to much less powerful systems like the Wii and 3DS. The Iphone does use a lot of power for Infinity Blade, but the 3DS is a lot better for gaming, and I still think the 3DS and Wii can run the Unreal Engine 3. Also the Iphone is totally different for usage of ram and processor. First of all it has to be able to phone, internet browse and play a game all at the same time. I just think that the Wii and 3DS run a bit differently. The Wii was said not to be able to run unreal engine 3, then apparently the Unreal Engine 3 was in development for the Wii. I just think Epic doesn't want to "waste" time doing hard work porting the engine to the 3DS or Wii. We might see Ubisoft port it over, considering how easy it was for them to port the splinter cell conviction engine, but I don't think that Epic wants to do all the labour, and both the Wii and 3DS aren't HD consoles which Epic said the engine is meant for.
#15 Posted by FPS1337 (2517 posts) -
An example of engine's being impossible is COD4 engine was said to be impossible to be done on the Wii, later prooven wrong by treyarch.
#16 Posted by darth-pyschosis (9322 posts) -

FPS1337

Seriously, you think that the Iphone actually uses 512mb of ram for gaming. That's actually insane considering the Xbox 360 has 512mb of Ram and the PS3 has only 256mb of ram and the iphone is terrible compared to much less powerful systems like the Wii and 3DS. The Iphone does use a lot of power for Infinity Blade, but the 3DS is a lot better for gaming, and I still think the 3DS and Wii can run the Unreal Engine 3. Also the Iphone is totally different for usage of ram and processor. First of all it has to be able to phone, internet browse and play a game all at the same time. I just think that the Wii and 3DS run a bit differently. The Wii was said not to be able to run unreal engine 3, then apparently the Unreal Engine 3 was in development for the Wii. I just think Epic doesn't want to "waste" time doing hard work porting the engine to the 3DS or Wii. We might see Ubisoft port it over, considering how easy it was for them to port the splinter cell conviction engine, but I don't think that Epic wants to do all the labour, and both the Wii and 3DS aren't HD consoles which Epic said the engine is meant for.

My iPod Touch can't run a game at the same time

You say "do you really think it uses all that power?"

But do you really think it ignores it?

Whether you think a product can run UE3 is right or not, it's not going to happen as Epic doesn't want to do it.

And I think the ubisoft games are runnin UE 2.5, not UE 3

#17 Posted by darth-pyschosis (9322 posts) -

An example of engine's being impossible is COD4 engine was said to be impossible to be done on the Wii, later prooven wrong by treyarch.FPS1337

Yes you can optimize any engine for any hardware, and Treyarch did a great job getting the COD4 engine on Wii

But this doesn't always work, case in point Deadrising on Wii

#18 Posted by FPS1337 (2517 posts) -

[QUOTE="FPS1337"]An example of engine's being impossible is COD4 engine was said to be impossible to be done on the Wii, later prooven wrong by treyarch.darth-pyschosis

Yes you can optimize any engine for any hardware, and Treyarch did a great job getting the COD4 engine on Wii

But this doesn't always work, case in point Deadrising on Wii

The engine in Dead Rising Wii was RE4 not the Dead Rising Engine, optimizing an engine is necessary for moving an engine to a different platform. It is especially necessary when moving to a handheld like the 3DS and Iphone. Many developers for weaker console's will use a previous engine rather then optimizing an engine for a less powerful console. Also apparently a developer was working on putting the Unreal Engine 3 on the Wii in November 2007, the project was most likely scrapped or somehow still being worked on, but the developers said it was possible, rather this was true or not, I'm not sure. The 3DS and Wii though I still believe can run the engine, and whether they can or can't I still believe the visuals are much better then the Iphone 4, HD or not.

#19 Posted by kayoticdreamz (3347 posts) -
the fact here is with all gaming systems they always have lower specs and are behind times but they dont need 4 GB of RAM because they exclusively game. there first priority is to in fact game. yes the systems now do a multitude of other things but when a game is running thats all they are doing by and large. a game on windows for example will always be doing other things and have other uses for that RAM and GPU and CPU. its unfair to compare a game consoles specs to anything but other game consoles. game consoles have always had poor RAM and poor CPU. the 360 and the ps3 are the only ones that have fairly amazing RAM and CPU and GPU power but even that is fail by comparison to PC's and other things.
#20 Posted by dzimm (4651 posts) -

So when it was told that the Unreal Engine can't be run on the 3DS, that was BS look at this. Just Epic being lazy, really dissapointing, but I guess it's there choice.

FPS1337

I suspect the real reason is that Epic is just playing business politics. They want something out of Nintendo in exchange for porting the engine to the 3DS, and Nintendo told them to take a hike, so in retaliation Epic tried to damage Nintendo's reputation by publically insinuating that the 3DS is underpowered. I don't think there's anything to it beyond that.

#21 Posted by wes008 (802 posts) -

I'd just be happy if we could get the UE 2.5 games on 3DS.

#22 Posted by riariases (2335 posts) -
[QUOTE="painguy1"]

Chill. Its just generally known that the iPhone 4 is more powerful.
#23 Posted by riariases (2335 posts) -
[QUOTE="FPS1337"][QUOTE="riariases"][QUOTE="painguy1"]

I'm just comparing specs. Don't assume i'm saying anything further. And the iPhone doesn't do true multitasking(only Android and Windows phones do true multitasking). You can switch between apps quickly but when you exit one of those apps it actually stops running them and when you open them again your position won't be remembered. The iPhone 4 just remembers what the last 5 apps you used were and re-opens them. So because they aren't all running in the background, its not using up any ram. You've probably never even owned an Apple product. They are capable of much better graphics than the 3DS but devs will never make great looking games for it just so they can sell it for $5.
#24 Posted by havokmaster (4304 posts) -
I think when it comes to the 3DS, we're better off comparing it to the Wii. Wii has 88MB of RAM, 3DS has 96MB of RAM, theoretically 3DS should be capable of running games with bigger levels, better audio and higher resolution textures. CPU-wise, it has 2x 266Mhz ARM11 CPUs, which while a little slower in terms of clocks, have the added advantage of their being two of them for parallel processing. GPU-wise, it has a PICA200 running anywhere from 200 to 400Mhz, hasn't been confirmed. It should be able to match Wii's graphical level due to only having to render at 400x240 without 3D, 800x240 with 3D.
#25 Posted by riariases (2335 posts) -
I think when it comes to the 3DS, we're better off comparing it to the Wii. Wii has 88MB of RAM, 3DS has 96MB of RAM, theoretically 3DS should be capable of running games with bigger levels, better audio and higher resolution textures. CPU-wise, it has 2x 266Mhz ARM11 CPUs, which while a little slower in terms of clocks, have the added advantage of their being two of them for parallel processing. GPU-wise, it has a PICA200 running anywhere from 200 to 400Mhz, hasn't been confirmed. It should be able to match Wii's graphical level due to only having to render at 400x240 without 3D, 800x240 with 3D.havokmaster
The PICA200 is a 200MHz GPU chip. And theres no official info saying the 3DS has a 96MB ram(though I hope its true).
#26 Posted by havokmaster (4304 posts) -
[QUOTE="havokmaster"]I think when it comes to the 3DS, we're better off comparing it to the Wii. Wii has 88MB of RAM, 3DS has 96MB of RAM, theoretically 3DS should be capable of running games with bigger levels, better audio and higher resolution textures. CPU-wise, it has 2x 266Mhz ARM11 CPUs, which while a little slower in terms of clocks, have the added advantage of their being two of them for parallel processing. GPU-wise, it has a PICA200 running anywhere from 200 to 400Mhz, hasn't been confirmed. It should be able to match Wii's graphical level due to only having to render at 400x240 without 3D, 800x240 with 3D.riariases
The PICA200 is a 200MHz GPU chip. And theres no official info saying the 3DS has a 96MB ram(though I hope its true).

The PICA200 default is 200Mhz, but it can run up to 400Mhz, we just don't know what speed Nintendo settled on. The first leaked 3DS console was locked in a debug mode which displayed the RAM, which was 96MB.
#27 Posted by soulreaper-4 (2247 posts) -
SPECS, SPECS, SPECS, SPECS! Do you people have something else to talk about? Look at the current DS games almost every single one of them is vastly superior than the disposable Phone games. In the end specs are just tools.
#28 Posted by riariases (2335 posts) -
[QUOTE="riariases"][QUOTE="havokmaster"]I think when it comes to the 3DS, we're better off comparing it to the Wii. Wii has 88MB of RAM, 3DS has 96MB of RAM, theoretically 3DS should be capable of running games with bigger levels, better audio and higher resolution textures. CPU-wise, it has 2x 266Mhz ARM11 CPUs, which while a little slower in terms of clocks, have the added advantage of their being two of them for parallel processing. GPU-wise, it has a PICA200 running anywhere from 200 to 400Mhz, hasn't been confirmed. It should be able to match Wii's graphical level due to only having to render at 400x240 without 3D, 800x240 with 3D.havokmaster

The PICA200 default is 200Mhz, but it can run up to 400Mhz, we just don't know what speed Nintendo settled on. The first leaked 3DS console was locked in a debug mode which displayed the RAM, which was 96MB.

I didn't know that about the ram. But the PICA200 I figured could reach much over 200MHz. CPUs and GPUs are always being overclocked. We could very well see some amazing graphics on the 3DS after a year or so. Graphics of a console always get better as the lifespan goes on.
#29 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -
#30 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6010 posts) -
SPECS, SPECS, SPECS, SPECS! Do you people have something else to talk about? Look at the current DS games almost every single one of them is vastly superior than the disposable Phone games. In the end specs are just tools.soulreaper-4
It's all Greek to me. The closest I've ever gotten to actual gaming on my telephone is buying a GBA emu, and I wouldn't even have bought that if it hadn't been for the full keyboard on my phone. All this nonsense about iPhone being a handheld/portable 'gaming' platform is ridiculous- it's a telephone with minigames on it.
#31 Posted by FPS1337 (2517 posts) -
[QUOTE="FPS1337"][QUOTE="riariases"] The 3DS has 64mb ram. The iPhone 4 has 512mb ram. The 3DS has two 266mhz processors(532mhz). The iPhone 4 has a 1ghz processor. The 3DS gpu is probably better i'm guessing but I can't find the specs for the iPhone 4.riariases

I'm just comparing specs. Don't assume i'm saying anything further. And the iPhone doesn't do true multitasking(only Android and Windows phones do true multitasking). You can switch between apps quickly but when you exit one of those apps it actually stops running them and when you open them again your position won't be remembered. The iPhone 4 just remembers what the last 5 apps you used were and re-opens them. So because they aren't all running in the background, its not using up any ram. You've probably never even owned an Apple product. They are capable of much better graphics than the 3DS but devs will never make great looking games for it just so they can sell it for $5.

3DS is so much better graphics. I own an Ipod touch 4, and no it's graphics isn't even close to the 3DS even the PSP other then Infinity Blade. First of all, the 3DS is a gaming handheld, Iphone is a smartphone, 3DS has a much better gpu and all it's ram and proccessor speed is meant just for gaming, not for phoning and web browsing on a 3G network. To even say iphone is close to 3DS is nuts.
#32 Posted by riariases (2335 posts) -
[QUOTE="riariases"][QUOTE="FPS1337"] Seriously, you think that the Iphone actually uses 512mb of ram for gaming. That's actually insane considering the Xbox 360 has 512mb of Ram and the PS3 has only 256mb of ram and the iphone is terrible compared to much less powerful systems like the Wii and 3DS. The Iphone does use a lot of power for Infinity Blade, but the 3DS is a lot better for gaming, and I still think the 3DS and Wii can run the Unreal Engine 3. Also the Iphone is totally different for usage of ram and processor. First of all it has to be able to phone, internet browse and play a game all at the same time. I just think that the Wii and 3DS run a bit differently. The Wii was said not to be able to run unreal engine 3, then apparently the Unreal Engine 3 was in development for the Wii. I just think Epic doesn't want to "waste" time doing hard work porting the engine to the 3DS or Wii. We might see Ubisoft port it over, considering how easy it was for them to port the splinter cell conviction engine, but I don't think that Epic wants to do all the labour, and both the Wii and 3DS aren't HD consoles which Epic said the engine is meant for. FPS1337

3DS is so much better graphics. I own an Ipod touch 4, and no it's graphics isn't even close to the 3DS even the PSP other then Infinity Blade. First of all, the 3DS is a gaming handheld, Iphone is a smartphone, 3DS has a much better gpu and all it's ram and proccessor speed is meant just for gaming, not for phoning and web browsing on a 3G network. To even say iphone is close to 3DS is nuts.

The graphics ON the iPhone 4 are much different than what the iPhone 4 is CAPABLE of. The iPhone 4 has a better ram and cpu and though I haven't found the specs on the gpu, I can't imagine it being far behind. Its a FACT that the iPhone 4 has better specs and thus can have better graphics, which is also why the Unreal Engine 3 can run on the iPhone 4 and not the 3DS. No its not because Unreal is biased towards Nintendo because that would just mean they would be losing money. The first rule of business is 'mind over matter' which any real business will follow. I'm not trying to sound like an Apple fanboy. I prefer Nintendo over Apple(which is why I have a pre-order on the 3DS and is why I bought an Xperia X10 instead of an iPhone 4) but i'm also not stupid and i'm not gonna say the iPhone 4 has worse graphics than the 3DS when I know the specs of them and I know the iPhone 4 has the edge on the 3DS. P.S. You may have never seen graphics on the iPhone 4 that are better than the graphics on a 3DS but that doesn't mean much considering what kinds of games are made for the iPhone app store. If they made games that sold for $40 or more like the 3DS then you would see some way better looking games.
#33 Posted by painguy1 (8686 posts) -

[QUOTE="painguy1"]

[QUOTE="riariases"] The 3DS has 64mb ram. The iPhone 4 has 512mb ram. The 3DS has two 266mhz processors(532mhz). The iPhone 4 has a 1ghz processor. The 3DS gpu is probably better i'm guessing but I can't find the specs for the iPhone 4.darth-pyschosis

Because don't the 3DS and iPhone both use ARM CPUs? One is clocked higher than the other, 2x as fast actually.

And its inevitable that you games for iOS will use more RAM than a 3DS even has, the 3DS has 96MB RAM, like I said the OS ability to suspend games and browse web during play probably takes the actual RAM for games down below 96MB, and its very possible games like Infinity Blade use more RAM than the 3DS has available. I mean the 3DS has roughly 15% RAM in comparison to the 512MB of the iPhone

No one can guarantee you that the iPhone game in question use all 512MB RAM, but I assure you, not a lot of that is going to waste. I'm sure Epic is using as much as possible. Being that it runs sluggish on older handsets, and can't even be run on devices with less RAM like the 128MB units, I doubt Epic makes a game for iOS instead of traditional gaming handhelds if those devices could actually pull off whatever vision they were trying to achieve.

1)So? What does that have to do with anything? Its not like all of the CPU is being used on the game. around 30-40% is probably used to proccess calls to the GPU to draw an image on the screen & another 10% is for the rest of the game. Infinity Blade isn't a very dynamic game. There is no need to keep track of the players location or do any crazy AI/Physics. (3DS most likely has a vector unit for physics and stuff) You also forget to mention that the iPhone has an OS running in the background at the same time. The 3DS doesn't have to worry about an OS. The reason we are able to load the menu ingame is because the 3DS makes a savestate, unloads teh game, then loads the menu. Probably loads the OS from a NAND of ROM chip. No need for extra RAM to keep OS active during the game,

2)Infinity Blade runs on the 3GS & that has like 256mb of RAM. Most of that is being used by the OS & various apps running the background so u have less than 128mb available for IB. There is no way a super static game like IB takes more than 100mb. If it used up most of the iPhone 4's memory then fitting games like Killzone 3, Crysis 2 etc would be impossible on consoles since they also have 512mb. Your basically telling me that Ifinity Blade is as open & dynamic as those games when in fact it isn't. You can't even make ur character move.

3)We don't know anything about the 3DS specs other than GPU. If you look at IGN's past history you will see they aren't a reliable source for hardware specs.

#34 Posted by riariases (2335 posts) -
[QUOTE="painguy1"]

[QUOTE="darth-pyschosis"]

[QUOTE="painguy1"]

1)So? What does that have to do with anything? Its not like all of the CPU is being used on the game. around 30-40% is probably used to proccess calls to the GPU to draw an image on the screen & another 10% is for the rest of the game. Infinity Blade isn't a very dynamic game. There is no need to keep track of the players location or do any crazy AI/Physics. (3DS most likely has a vector unit for physics and stuff) You also forget to mention that the iPhone has an OS running in the background at the same time. The 3DS doesn't have to worry about an OS. The reason we are able to load the menu ingame is because the 3DS makes a savestate, unloads teh game, then loads the menu. Probably loads the OS from a NAND of ROM chip. No need for extra RAM to keep OS active during the game,

2)Infinity Blade runs on the 3GS & that has like 256mb of RAM. Most of that is being used by the OS & various apps running the background so u have less than 128mb available for IB. There is no way a super static game like IB takes more than 100mb. If it used up most of the iPhone 4's memory then fitting games like Killzone 3, Crysis 2 etc would be impossible on consoles since they also have 512mb. Your basically telling me that Ifinity Blade is as open & dynamic as those games when in fact it isn't. You can't even make ur character move.

3)We don't know anything about the 3DS specs other than GPU. If you look at IGN's past history you will see they aren't a reliable source for hardware specs.

What part don't you get that the iPhone(all models) don't run apps in the background? And iOS is so simple, theres no way it takes up more than 64mb of ram, which is like as much Windows 7 Explorer(not Internet Explorer) takes to run so I doubt a dumbed down portable version of iOS would take even 64mb of ram to run. The fact that the 3DS has two Arm11 processors is a good sign and i'm guessing their clock speeds aren't bad but I don't think they match up to 1GHz. Bottom line is the iPhone 4 has better specs than the 3DS(except the GPU most likely) but we'll never see graphics like Resident Evil: Mercenaries/Revelations or Metal Gear Solid: Snake eater on the iPhone 4 because no developer is so stupid to release a $40 game on the iPhones app store that not many people will buy.
#35 Posted by Evenios (1140 posts) -

i suspected as much. I actually sent Mark Rein a facebook message (no reply yet but he did reply back to an email one time!) about that thought.

Its a shame that they say the 3DS cant run Unreal Engine 3. I mean the Ipad can pretty well? Oh well! I suggested to him that they release Unreal Tournemnt/Unreal Tournemnt 2004 for it that would be fun to play in 3D.

But hey none the less the graphics are still way better then the DS! :-)

#36 Posted by painguy1 (8686 posts) -

[QUOTE="painguy1"]

riariases

What part don't you get that the iPhone(all models) don't run apps in the background? And iOS is so simple, theres no way it takes up more than 64mb of ram, which is like as much Windows 7 Explorer(not Internet Explorer) takes to run so I doubt a dumbed down portable version of iOS would take even 64mb of ram to run. The fact that the 3DS has two Arm11 processors is a good sign and i'm guessing their clock speeds aren't bad but I don't think they match up to 1GHz. Bottom line is the iPhone 4 has better specs than the 3DS(except the GPU most likely) but we'll never see graphics like Resident Evil: Mercenaries/Revelations or Metal Gear Solid: Snake eater on the iPhone 4 because no developer is so stupid to release a $40 game on the iPhones app store that not many people will buy.

I already pointed this out in my first post.

The OS is always running in the background. Background/multitasking is a new functionality that was added because Android supported it, and ppl were upset that iOS didnt support it.

Windows is a much more complex OS than iOS. Don't even try to make such a ridiculous comparison. iOS is based of of OSX using a modified kernal.

iPhone 3GS RAM usage after startup. Wired & Active is RAM in use. AS you can see he only has 156mb left over. Note that this is without any background apps turned on.

Also on a side note. For those of you who don't know Apple has a number of memory restrictions for ur apps. You are not permitted to use above 60mb of memory for video applications(and if u are using that much u need to learn to compress ur textures.)

#37 Posted by FPS1337 (2517 posts) -

Umm there's GPS apps for $50, I'm pretty sure that people would buy $40 games if they were quality, but Iphone games will never be worth $40. Also something I found interesting. The Iphone 3gs and Iphone can run unreal engine, but yet the Emulator N64Iphone runs terrible on the Iphone 3gs with lots of lag as well as Ipod touch 4. The Wii however's homebrew emulator Wii64 which is made by jailbreakers like the Iphone emulator runs an n64 emulator perfectly fine. The wii has 88mb of ram less then the 3DS, and a lot less then the iphone, so why does the iphone run the n64 emulator so bad and the Wii runs it so well. Because the Iphone uses tons of its memory for other stuff, it's not meant for gaming.
#38 Posted by riariases (2335 posts) -
[QUOTE="painguy1"]

I already pointed this out in my first post.

The OS is always running in the background. Background/multitasking is a new functionality that was added because Android supported it, and ppl were upset that iOS didnt support it.

Windows is a much more complex OS than iOS. Don't even try to make such a ridiculous comparison. iOS is based of of OSX using a modified kernal.

iPhone 3GS RAM usage after startup. Wired & Active is RAM in use. AS you can see he only has 156mb left over. Note that this is without any background apps turned on.

Also on a side note. For those of you who don't know Apple has a number of memory restrictions for ur apps. You are not permitted to use above 60mb of memory for video applications(and if u are using that much u need to learn to compress ur textures.)

To your blue crap - Again, the iPhone doesn't do multitasking. It just remembers the last few apps you used, like I said before. So really its just a quick app switcher. To your red crap - All you said was "The 3Ds has a better GPU than the iPhone 4" repeatedly, and i'm saying the iPhone 4 has a better proccessor, and we don't know the GPU of the iPhone 4 so you can't say its better yet. To your green crap - THATS EXACTLY WHY I MADE THE WINDOWS TO iOS COMPARISON! Windows 7 is MUCH more complex than iOS(especially the mobile version) yet it doesn't take that much Ram to run, but you're saying a MOBILE OS takes more Ram to run than Windows 7? I have an Android phone(Xperia X10a) and its got a 384MB Ram, and how Android phones work is when you start them up, they start up with EVERY app running so to save battery life most Android users have an "App Killer". This closes all the apps running and tells you how much Ram is free. So when I hit the App Killer widget it will usually say anywhere from 250-325MB of Ram free, and the Android OS is much more complicated than the iOS. Its got TRUE MULTITASKING(not what YOU think is multitasking) and has live widgets, 3D background and loads of crap eating up the Ram. Again I will say it. The iPhone 4 is capable of better graphics than the 3DS, no doubt about it. thats all i'm saying.
#39 Posted by riariases (2335 posts) -

FPS1337

Umm there's GPS apps for $50, I'm pretty sure that people would buy $40 games if they were quality, but Iphone games will never be worth $40. Also something I found interesting. The Iphone 3gs and Iphone can run unreal engine, but yet the Emulator N64Iphone runs terrible on the Iphone 3gs with lots of lag as well as Ipod touch 4. The Wii however's homebrew emulator Wii64 which is made by jailbreakers like the Iphone emulator runs an n64 emulator perfectly fine. The wii has 88mb of ram less then the 3DS, and a lot less then the iphone, so why does the iphone run the n64 emulator so bad and the Wii runs it so well. Because the Iphone uses tons of its memory for other stuff, it's not meant for gaming.

I know there are GPS apps. The Tom Tom app use to cost $99. But you gotta remember that you can buy an actual Tom Tom for $150. They're just selling you the software instead but its got all the same features. By the way, GPS apps aren't games if thats what you're thinking. And the N64 seems to run fine on this iPhone http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M37stHonlz8&feature=related (and every other one on youtube for that matter). And the Wii doesn't have 88MB of ram less than the 3DS or the Wii would have 8MB of ram.

#40 Posted by FPS1337 (2517 posts) -
I meant the wii has 88mb of ram. Also i have an ipod touch 4 and 90% o the n64 games run laggy.
#41 Posted by riariases (2335 posts) -
I meant the wii has 88mb of ram. Also i have an ipod touch 4 and 90% o the n64 games run laggy.FPS1337
Thats weird because the iPod Touch 3g can emulate DS games at full speed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxCMgaofGhc&feature=related
#43 Posted by THA-TODD-BEAST (4569 posts) -

last good epic game was unreal championship on the xbox for those who care , so i dont care what epic has to say ,mariokart64fan

You're quite the silly one.

Gears of War is the elephant in the room.

Oh, and did you forget Bulletstorm, too?

It's funny that you "smell epic fanboyism," when you blatantly emit it yourself.

#44 Posted by bobbetybob (19250 posts) -

[QUOTE="mariokart64fan"]

last good epic game was unreal championship on the xbox for those who care , so i dont care what epic has to say ,THA-TODD-BEAST

It's funny that you "smell epic fanboyism," when you blatantly emit it yourself.

Bulletstorm is made by People Can Fly with a bit of help from Epic, they didn't make it. But Gears is awesome, as is Shadow Complex.
#45 Posted by THA-TODD-BEAST (4569 posts) -

[QUOTE="THA-TODD-BEAST"]

[QUOTE="mariokart64fan"]

last good epic game was unreal championship on the xbox for those who care , so i dont care what epic has to say ,bobbetybob

Bulletstorm is made by People Can Fly with a bit of help from Epic, they didn't make it. But Gears is awesome, as is Shadow Complex.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Epic helped a bit with Bulletstorm, and that their name is on Gears of War and Bulletstorm says enough. The fact that he said the "last good Epic game was Unreal Championship on Xbox" is absolutely comical. I haven't laughed like that in months. Has he perhaps been living under a rock for the past several years?

#46 Posted by painguy1 (8686 posts) -

[QUOTE="mariokart64fan"]

last good epic game was unreal championship on the xbox for those who care , so i dont care what epic has to say ,THA-TODD-BEAST

you should edit your post before he reports you. I already had the pleasure of being reported by him for pointing out his hypocrisy.

#47 Posted by THA-TODD-BEAST (4569 posts) -

[QUOTE="THA-TODD-BEAST"]

[QUOTE="mariokart64fan"]

last good epic game was unreal championship on the xbox for those who care , so i dont care what epic has to say ,painguy1

you should edit your post before he reports you. I already had the pleasure of being reported by him for pointing out his hypocrisy.

I feel your pain, man. I've had the same thing happen to me countless times here. I'll just keep the original post and hope that I don't get hit with yet another "TOS violation" for pointing out his blatant inaccuracies.

#48 Posted by FPS1337 (2517 posts) -
[QUOTE="FPS1337"]I meant the wii has 88mb of ram. Also i have an ipod touch 4 and 90% o the n64 games run laggy.riariases
Thats weird because the iPod Touch 3g can emulate DS games at full speed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxCMgaofGhc&feature=related

um ds is less powerful then the n64, it has better graphics because it's screen resolution is lower and it's a smaller screen. Also 3DS can play DS games at full speed, and the Wii has a DS emulator as well. Also due to the lower screen resolution the Ipod touch 3g and 4g run at very similar speeds. Also this looks fake, because the DS version of pokemon has dual screens, and the controls for this emulator is missing both an x and a y button. The control scheme is gpsphone which is a GBA emulator, so it`s probably fake.
#49 Posted by riariases (2335 posts) -
[QUOTE="riariases"][QUOTE="FPS1337"]I meant the wii has 88mb of ram. Also i have an ipod touch 4 and 90% o the n64 games run laggy.FPS1337

um ds is less powerful then the n64, it has better graphics because it's screen resolution is lower and it's a smaller screen. Also 3DS can play DS games at full speed, and the Wii has a DS emulator as well. Also due to the lower screen resolution the Ipod touch 3g and 4g run at very similar speeds. Also this looks fake, because the DS version of pokemon has dual screens, and the controls for this emulator is missing both an x and a y button. The control scheme is gpsphone which is a GBA emulator, so it`s probably fake.

Alright, i've tried to emulate DS games and its slow and quirky, and the Wii doesn't emulate DS games good at all. It crashes on simple games like Professor Layton. N64 games are much easier to emulate and a lot smoother. And the 3DS doesn't "emulate" ds games. Its compatible wit them and plays them. If you ran a rom through an emulator on a 3DS, it would be slow as hell. But yeah, it might be fake but there are other videos of DS emulation on the iPhone on youtube.
#50 Posted by riariases (2335 posts) -
[QUOTE="painguy1"]

[QUOTE="THA-TODD-BEAST"]

[QUOTE="mariokart64fan"]

All these rats on gamespot honestly ruin it for me. I went from lvl17 to lvl13 in the past month from getting reported so much.