3D Pokemon RPG on the Console?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Evil_Mitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Evil_Mitch
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I have always wondered why nintendo never made a 3D rpg that was calibur to the games on the GBA/DS for its consoles. What if nintendo were to make one? Do you think it would be any good? Personally, I think it would do great (if done right) and nintendo could make a large amount of money off of it...
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
Cause they're made on portable.
yellonet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 yellonet
Member since 2004 • 7768 Posts

I have always wondered why nintendo never made a 3D rpg that was calibur to the games on the GBA/DS for its consoles. What if nintendo were to make one? Do you think it would be any good? Personally, I think it would do great (if done right) and nintendo could make a large amount of money off of it...Evil_Mitch
Yes I think they could create a home console Pokémon game that would be good, there's no reason why not. I would wager that most people don't really play Pokémon on the go anyway.

I understand why they're on portable systems though as the franchise started as a card game they still want the trading and portability even in the digital versions.

With the release of the Wii U they should really take the next step with the Franchise and create a regular Pokémon game for both 3DS and Wii U where the different versions can interact in interesting ways.

There's an undeniably huge potential there.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#4 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
My guess is just that it's so much cheaper to develop a Pokemon game on handhelds, and there are more handhelds out there, that it makes a ton of money. The games don't really revolve around graphical fidelity (even Black/White are kind of ugly games), so that boost would be unimportant.
ANNIHILISM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ANNIHILISM
Member since 2010 • 266 Posts
I have had an idea like this for the past 5 years. Something with graphics similar to Final Fantasy XII. An open world, active time battle type thing. where you can run around and control the trainer and choose the pokemon you want to send out. make macros for certain attacks and things. give it a darker tone, but stay true to alot of the themes. for instance, Pikachu, instead of just a polygonal yellow blob, make his fur discernible, and stuff like that.
ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

This thread again? :?

Pokemon works best on handhelds and sells best on handhelds. The 3DS is powerful enough for full high quality 3D and the Pokedex 3D app hints that the next pokemon game would be in 3D or at least the bridge to a full 3D game.

A console version would be great if Game Freak is in charge of development, but they have no plans on working with the Wii or Wii U.

JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

Pokemon is the biggest system seller ever made, if there's a problem with a nintendo handheld they just release a pokemon game for it

Evil_Mitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Evil_Mitch

This thread again? :?

Pokemon works best on handhelds and sells best on handhelds. The 3DS is powerful enough for full high quality 3D and the Pokedex 3D app hints that the next pokemon game would be in 3D or at least the bridge to a full 3D game.

A console version would be great if Game Freak is in charge of development, but they have no plans on working with the Wii or Wii U.

ANIMEguy10034
This thread again? I'm sorry, I searched and couldn't find a thread like this. I must have overlooked it. Sorry bout that
superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Pokemon games Colosseum & Gale of Darkness on GC wasn't too bad...no it does not need to be just on handheld. Just need to make a better game. Hate this piss poor excuse "Oh it only works on handheld" bs.

sman3579

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 sman3579
Member since 2008 • 21174 Posts
If you are talking about a "true" Pokemon RPG like Pokemon White/Black, then it probably won't happen. It would be cool though.
Crisis_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 Crisis_Eye
Member since 2006 • 1554 Posts
Oh my god! I hope you're thinking what I'm thinking! My dream for a Pokemon game was to have it be 3D too! Not like, 3DS 3D, I just mean Pokemon Stadium 3D, where you can see the Pokemon from all angels, and see their moves all in real time, rather than some silly animation on the Game Boy. Then you could roam the land freely with your Pokemon and even your friends. I could picture the online being so diverse and having many different servers, or worlds to join and see other people and trainers as you walk through the online world. That is what Nintendo needs to do in my opinion.
Crisis_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 Crisis_Eye
Member since 2006 • 1554 Posts
[QUOTE="ANNIHILISM"]I have had an idea like this for the past 5 years. Something with graphics similar to Final Fantasy XII. An open world, active time battle type thing. where you can run around and control the trainer and choose the pokemon you want to send out. make macros for certain attacks and things. give it a darker tone, but stay true to alot of the themes. for instance, Pikachu, instead of just a polygonal yellow blob, make his fur discernible, and stuff like that.

YES! I agree with you my friend. I would buy a Pokemon game like this if I was 50.
zeldisco2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 zeldisco2009
Member since 2009 • 554 Posts

the main pokemon games are a handheld exclusive.Pokemon is incredibly popular and if you just look at sales then more popular than metroid or even zelda.It would be a dream come true to see a proper Pokemon game on the consoles but it wont happen I am afraid.If there was a proper Pokemon game on the N64 and GC then the Playstation brand would have been dead by now.The only hope is Squaresoft/Enix.Nintendo needs to work with them to make a proper console pokemon.These rpg companise have expereince and resourcses to make it easiyl happen.DQ 9 and 10 are a Nintendo console exclusive so it shows they have a great partnership with Nintendo.

Lanbeforetime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Lanbeforetime
Member since 2010 • 118 Posts

If you are talking about a "true" Pokemon RPG like Pokemon White/Black, then it probably won't happen. It would be cool though.sman3579

Oh please... Black are white are the last examples of "true" pokemon rpg's I'd think of. I feel like if they made these games any easier for the younger kids that play I'm just going to find myself no longer buying them. I mean come on, unlimited tm's, ridiculous abilties, and a new skill every 2 levels. Seriously what will be next? Automatic level 100 pokemon because the game knows "you tried your bestest."

The only good thing that came out of gen V is emolga...Enough said

Evil_Mitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Evil_Mitch
[QUOTE="ANNIHILISM"]I have had an idea like this for the past 5 years. Something with graphics similar to Final Fantasy XII. An open world, active time battle type thing. where you can run around and control the trainer and choose the pokemon you want to send out. make macros for certain attacks and things. give it a darker tone, but stay true to alot of the themes. for instance, Pikachu, instead of just a polygonal yellow blob, make his fur discernible, and stuff like that.

I would definately buy that. Great idea!
Evil_Mitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Evil_Mitch

the main pokemon games are a handheld exclusive.Pokemon is incredibly popular and if you just look at sales then more popular than metroid or even zelda.It would be a dream come true to see a proper Pokemon game on the consoles but it wont happen I am afraid.If there was a proper Pokemon game on the N64 and GC then the Playstation brand would have been dead by now.The only hope is Squaresoft/Enix.Nintendo needs to work with them to make a proper console pokemon.These rpg companise have expereince and resourcses to make it easiyl happen.DQ 9 and 10 are a Nintendo console exclusive so it shows they have a great partnership with Nintendo.

zeldisco2009
I agree completely
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#17 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
it would be awesome, but it would never happen mainly because it sells so well on portables already. it would be costly to make anyway. each pokemon is its own character model and it would be really costly to make however many hundreds of pokemon there are now into 3d models and then animate them. the only remotely similar games i can think of are the SMT's. even those dont have nearly as many models and they also have the benefit of being able to transfer models over from the last game and then only add a few more. stunted animations help too.
MOARINTERWEBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MOARINTERWEBS
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
http://imgur.com/gallery/zJMqz As "Ideological" as that sounds, it's actually in progress. I know some people working on the project. I have a feeling Nintendo will attack with copyrights immediately once they know it's real. But it gives people like us hope.
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
Been wanting one since the N64 :( Think a big 3D RPG like that would cost too much for Nintendo.
it would be awesome, but it would never happen mainly because it sells so well on portables already. it would be costly to make anyway. each pokemon is its own character model and it would be really costly to make however many hundreds of pokemon there are now into 3d models and then animate them. the only remotely similar games i can think of are the SMT's. even those dont have nearly as many models and they also have the benefit of being able to transfer models over from the last game and then only add a few more. stunted animations help too.LoG-Sacrament
It sells well on handhelds? So? New Super Mario Bros on DS sold 29 million, New Super Mario Bros on Wii sold 26 million... One didn't harm the other, if anything it helped!
nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

I'd rather have a Monster Rancher MMO on Consoles

thetravman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 thetravman
Member since 2003 • 3592 Posts

That would be awesome if done right. But it's been said already, it belongs to the handhelds and sells better on the handhelds. I wish the industry weren't like that but it is. I'm personally tired of Gamefreak's formula. Some innovation needs to happen for Pokemon instead of just putting more monsters in each iteration (and the fact that the new pokemon designs are less creative than previous generations).

Garysafc25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Garysafc25
Member since 2012 • 142 Posts

I really want a pokemon rpg game for the Wii U too. It really doesn't matter if pokemon rpg games are meant for handhelds or not I would love to personally play it on a Nintendo home console ( Wii U ) Nintendo really should do this because it will sell like hot cakes on a handheld and home console.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts
It doesn't happen because, contrary to popular belief, Nintendo doesn't actually own Pokemon, they just have exclusive publishing rights. Everything is decided by GameFreak, not Nintendo, hence why Black 2 & White 2, two games that could have easily doubled 3DS sales in Japan, where released on the DS instead. I'm sure Nintendo would LOVE to have a big system seller like Pokemon come out on WiiU, especially a game on par, or even better, than the handheld games, but that's not there call, it's up to GameFreak, and they don't seem ready to even move to the latest handheld yet, never mind to a console.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#27 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
[QUOTE="locopatho"]Been wanting one since the N64 :( Think a big 3D RPG like that would cost too much for Nintendo.
it would be awesome, but it would never happen mainly because it sells so well on portables already. it would be costly to make anyway. each pokemon is its own character model and it would be really costly to make however many hundreds of pokemon there are now into 3d models and then animate them. the only remotely similar games i can think of are the SMT's. even those dont have nearly as many models and they also have the benefit of being able to transfer models over from the last game and then only add a few more. stunted animations help too.LoG-Sacrament
It sells well on handhelds? So? New Super Mario Bros on DS sold 29 million, New Super Mario Bros on Wii sold 26 million... One didn't harm the other, if anything it helped!

nintendo can pump out a ton of 2D marios if they want to. they dont take the kind of resources that a 3D rpg would. the two 2D mario games also require similar technical skills, unlike a 2D rpg and a 3D one (which is why sakamoto sought help from team ninja when he decided to make a 3D metroid). one is simply a much bigger investment and there is little incentive to change if the games already sell on the cheaper platform.

plus nintendo has always seen the series as a portable one in concept (for the original rpg form, at least), with the pokedex that always gets carried around by pokemon trainers being a parallel to the handheld being toted by the player.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#28 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

The only reasonable explanation on why Nintendo does not do it I can come up with is that they are fearful a console version of a Pokemon RPG will somehow negatively affect the sales of their portable outings.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

The only reasonable explanation on why Nintendo does not do it I can come up with is that they are fearful a console version of a Pokemon RPG will somehow negatively affect the sales of their portable outings.

Pierst179
and it probably will. I think they should make the Mystery Dungeon or Rumble series (Upgraded of course) for consoles while keeping the original RPG series on the Portable.
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
I have no doubt that Nintendo could develop an incredible Pokemon RPG on consoles. They just don't want to.
verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31 verbtex  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9196 Posts

This thread is old feel free to make a new one.