Who was the best HB out of the 08 draft?

Ryder004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Ryder004
Member since 2007 • 4371 Posts

this question has been killing me to death, so i will let the poll decide. here are our nominees:

Mat Forte:
316 Attempts Rushing for 1,238 Yards and 8 Touch Downs
63 Receptions for 477 Yards and 4 Touch Downs

Chris Johnson:
251 Attempts Rushing for 1,228 Yards and 9 Touch Downs
43 Receptions for 260 Yards and 1 Touch Down

Steve Slaton:
268 Attempts Rushing for 1,282 Yards and 9 Touch Downs
50 Receptions for 377 Yards and 1 Touch Down

Kevin Smith:
238 Attempts Rushing for 976 Yards and 8 Touch Downs
39 Receptions for 286 Yards and 0 Touch Downs

Jonathan Stewart:
184 Attempts Rushing for 836 Yards and 10 Touch Downs
8 Receptions for 47 Yards and 0 Touch Downs

Now i know stats dont tell you everything, and you can make a case for each and every one of those guys but who would you guys choose as the best HB out of the 08 draft?

themyrmidon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 themyrmidon
Member since 2007 • 5567 Posts

I'd love to say Slaton, but in this case the numbers tell the whole story.  Forte was a multi-purpose threat who did absolutely awesome.  Johnson did really good too, but had a lot more team around him than Slaton or Forte (also had to split carries).

Also, this is a one-year retrospective.  This upcoming year Felix Jones should be healthy all year *knocks on wood*.  If you are asking for fantasy advice, I'd say you have the order perfect in your post, but reverse Smith and Stewart.

Ryder004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Ryder004

but reverse Smith and Stewart.

themyrmidon

uhh.....why?

ARealChiefsFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ARealChiefsFan
Member since 2005 • 1249 Posts
Gotta say Forte, he was the best offensive weapon the Bears had, which isn't saying much, but he came in and was the best rusher they've had over the past few years
Avatar image for appaloosa582002
appaloosa582002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 appaloosa582002
Member since 2004 • 8733 Posts
Matt Forte was indeed great last season, and was probably the best of the 08 class of backs statistically. But my vote goes to Chris Johnson, I saw this guy a lot since he plays in the AFC South and I must say that he had me mesmerized.
dodgerblue13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 dodgerblue13
Member since 2004 • 20846 Posts
I love Johnson and you can't be unhappy if you were to have any of these guys on your team (unless you don't care for the demeanor of Every Coach's Dream) but I have to go with Forte. Guy did so much for them last year.
Avatar image for Darth_Revan_666
Darth_Revan_666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Darth_Revan_666
Member since 2005 • 2801 Posts
Johnson had a passing game to help him out, getting some pressure off of him. But Forte was kind of alone in 08(but that will change with Cutler). And yet Forte still ended up having the same numbers, So my vote goes to Forte.
DLateral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DLateral
Member since 2008 • 1240 Posts
Forte did an amazing amount with the little talent the Bears had on their offense outside of him.
favre4thewin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 favre4thewin
Member since 2008 • 693 Posts
[QUOTE="themyrmidon"]

Ryder004

uhh.....why?

Because Smith plays for Detroit and their line was horrid last year and they didn't do too much to fix it.  If Culpepper and CJ can get something going then Smith may have a decent year, but I wouldn't bet on it.  If I was calling the plays vs DET I would put 8 men in the box until they show competence in the passing game.

Stewart shares carries with another dynamic back, but their O-line is very good (props to CAR for fixing it in 1 season).  Stewart has great numbers for the amount of touches he gets, and is capable of carrying the load by himself.  Its hard to pick a top RB from a group this talented based on one season.  

Johnson, and Stewart had 2 of best O-lines to run behind.  Forte and Slaton have to be too of the bigger suprises of the draft; though I wouldn't call them sleepers (mostly because rookie analysis covers just about everyone, and both played for fairly large programs) I would say that Slaton did more than everyone expected.  He formed a phenomenal duo with Pat White in college, but there were numerous questions about his size and speed.  I think Forte deserves to be at the top of the list because he was virtually the sole source of offense for chicago, and put up great numbers behind a mediocre offensive line.  When you add in Chicago's lackluster passing game he really deserves to be on the top of the list.

On the basis of talent and future production I would take Johnson or Stewart over Forte.  I expect about the same numbers for Forte, but think Johnson's will increase exponentially over the next couple of seasons.   I know one thing is for sure when it comes to Johnson, Al Davis is probably kicking himself in the ass for not taking the fastest RB last year (that certainly had to play a hand in him picking Heyward-Bey and then overdrafting that OSU safety that I don't still don't even know his name).

geaux321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 geaux321
Member since 2003 • 19424 Posts
[QUOTE="Ryder004"][QUOTE="themyrmidon"]

favre4thewin

uhh.....why?

Johnson, and Stewart had 2 of best O-lines to run behind.  Forte and Slaton have to be too of the bigger suprises of the draft; though I wouldn't call them sleepers (mostly because rookie analysis covers just about everyone, and both played for fairly large programs) I would say that Slaton did more than everyone expected.  He formed a phenomenal duo with Pat White in college, but there were numerous questions about his size and speed.  I think Forte deserves to be at the top of the list because he was virtually the sole source of offense for chicago, and put up great numbers behind a mediocre offensive line.  When you add in Chicago's lackluster passing game he really deserves to be on the top of the list.

On the basis of talent and future production I would take Johnson or Stewart over Forte.  I expect about the same numbers for Forte, but think Johnson's will increase exponentially over the next couple of seasons.   I know one thing is for sure when it comes to Johnson, Al Davis is probably kicking himself in the ass for not taking the fastest RB last year (that certainly had to play a hand in him picking Heyward-Bey and then overdrafting that OSU safety that I don't still don't even know his name).

Since when is Tulane a large program?  They haven't done anything since Shaun King and '99 when they were undefeated with Tennessee that year.

Also, the Safety that he overdrafted was from Ohio, not Ohio St.

favre4thewin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 favre4thewin
[QUOTE="favre4thewin"][QUOTE="Ryder004"][QUOTE="themyrmidon"]

geaux321

uhh.....why?

Since when is Tulane a large program?  They haven't done anything since Shaun King and '99 when they were undefeated with Tennessee that year.

I wouldn't say Tulane is a large program, I would say it is a "fairly large program."  What do they play in?  C-USA?  A decent conference with good competition.  Its better than the MAC, and if a prospect does well at a C-USA school it is less of a question than if he dominates at the D1-AA level, or plays in the Sun Belt.  Tulane has a full amount of scholarships and funds.  Coming out of Tulane has very little to do with what they have accomplished and more to do with the caliber of the player.  Tulane has had its share of players get drafted over the past few years its not like I was talking about Eastern Illinois University or South Dakota State, North Dakota State, Central Michigan, etc.  In some respects, Tulane talent level has match that of large programs.  I do believe they have had 2 QB's go in the first round in the past decade (though they are career backups, but so are Matt Leinart and Vince Young).

Ohio, OSU does it really matter?  He was taken based on his 40 time. 

geaux321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 geaux321
Member since 2003 • 19424 Posts
[QUOTE="geaux321"][QUOTE="favre4thewin"][QUOTE="Ryder004"][QUOTE="themyrmidon"]

favre4thewin

uhh.....why?

I wouldn't say Tulane is a large program, I would say it is a "fairly large program."  What do they play in?  C-USA?  A decent conference with good competition.  Its better than the MAC, and if a prospect does well at a C-USA school it is less of a question than if he dominates at the D1-AA level, or plays in the Sun Belt.  Tulane has a full amount of scholarships and funds.  Coming out of Tulane has very little to do with what they have accomplished and more to do with the caliber of the player.  Tulane has had its share of players get drafted over the past few years its not like I was talking about Eastern Illinois University or South Dakota State, North Dakota State, Central Michigan, etc.  In some respects, Tulane talent level has match that of large programs.  I do believe they have had 2 QB's go in the first round in the past decade (though they are career backups, but so are Matt Leinart and Vince Young).

I'm talking about them as a college football team, they've had 2 winning season since their undefeated season which was '98 not '99 as I said earlier.  I'd take the MAC over the C-USA, the MAC usually has 1 or 2 major teams each year while the C-USA is lucky to get one, this year it was ECU who pulled off some big upsets.  You could state your case that the C-USA puts out good talent (as evidinced by three players in the poll are from that conference), but Tulane is a rare occasion, Patrick Ramsey hasn't amount to anything (is he still playing?), and JP Losman who hasn't done much either.  If Tulane has the talent level of large programs how come they can't win on a consistent basis in a mediocre conference?

favre4thewin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 favre4thewin
[QUOTE="favre4thewin"][QUOTE="geaux321"][QUOTE="favre4thewin"][QUOTE="Ryder004"][QUOTE="themyrmidon"]

geaux321

uhh.....why?

I'm talking about them as a college football team, they've had 2 winning season since their undefeated season which was '98 not '99 as I said earlier.  I'd take the MAC over the C-USA, the MAC usually has 1 or 2 major teams each year while the C-USA is lucky to get one, this year it was ECU who pulled off some big upsets.  You could state your case that the C-USA puts out good talent (as evidinced by three players in the poll are from that conference), but Tulane is a rare occasion, Patrick Ramsey hasn't amount to anything (is he still playing?), and JP Losman who hasn't done much either.  If Tulane has the talent level of large programs how come they can't win on a consistent basis in a mediocre conference?

I think your confusing large program with good program.  Large program=full set of scholarships, full funding, and a decent conference.  C-USA is a better athletic conference than the MAC.  By no means is C-USA a BCS conference every year, but from time to time there is a couple solid teams.  There is a reason a lot of the MAC schools have transfereed to C-USA.  Loseman and Ramsey were first round picks regardless of outcome.  If your going to judge schools on the basis of what their prospects do than a lot of big programs are going to look really bad (OSU, UF, FSU).  

Anyway, your missing the point of what I said, if you play in C-USA you have an opportunity to be noticed.  It is much harder to get drafted coming from the Sun belt, any D1aa program, Mountain west.  Tulane may be horrible but they are still a known program.  How do Miss St, Vandy, Northwestern, Baylor and Indiana do from year to year?  All big programs that are perennial bad.

chAzN93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 chAzN93
Member since 2004 • 34854 Posts
chris johnson should have the best season...titans suck at passing the ball....bears got cutler...slaton will have a good season... lions are hopeless...and panthers need to give the ball to deangelo
kalabo10688

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kalabo10688
Member since 2006 • 2605 Posts
Johnson, he gonna be special in a couple of years
Espurs117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 Espurs117
Member since 2005 • 22817 Posts
I believe Felix Jones averaged over 9 ypc last year before he got hurt, look for him to be included in this list next year.
J4y_CNX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 J4y_CNX
Member since 2007 • 347 Posts
I believe CJ is the best. It may be bias but I dont't care. He had to split carries with fat boy and he had a worthless QB. Only positive thing was the Titans D gave him more opportunities.
mvphalo8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18 mvphalo8
Member since 2005 • 10748 Posts

Between Forte and Johnson

I have to go with Forte.

rolltide2363

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 rolltide2363
Member since 2004 • 203 Posts
forte was the bears entire offense last season.
rolltide2363

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 rolltide2363
Member since 2004 • 203 Posts

I believe Felix Jones averaged over 9 ypc last year before he got hurt, look for him to be included in this list next year. Espurs117

he's a very smooth runner with great vision, i can't wait to see what he does this season!

spfx30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 spfx30
Member since 2005 • 9945 Posts
It's hard for me to make a decision since I didn't get to watch Forte and Slaton, but did see CJ and Stewart a few times. As mentioned, Forte had the least to work with, yet played through the season just as impressively as everyone else on the list. So, I concur with voting for Forte.
Ryder004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ryder004

As mentioned, Forte had the least to work withspfx30

at least he had a decent o-line, Kevin Smit didnt even have that and besides CJ he was their only weapon

spfx30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 spfx30
Member since 2005 • 9945 Posts

at least he had a decent o-line, Kevin Smit didnt even have that and besides CJ he was their only weapon Ryder004

I see your point with Kevin. What I was getting at was that Forte didn't have the same caliber O-line as, say, Stewart. Yet, he was still able to do a really good job.

dodgerblue13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 dodgerblue13
Member since 2004 • 20846 Posts

Johnson had a passing game to help him out, getting some pressure off of him.Darth_Revan_666

Tennessee's passing offense was 27th in the NFL at 176.2 ypg last season. They also tied with the Raiders at 28th with only 13 TD passes. Their 58.5 completion percentage was 25th in the league. They were a horrid passing team.