Bobbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Bobbles
Member since 2003 • 11678 Posts

Alright, here are the rules for Super Bowl Pick'em, copied directly from last year's rules thread.

You need to read these:

- The score you get is based almost entirely on your prediction for the game's score.
- Depending on a correct pick and how close you are to the actual score, you can gain anywhere between 0-10 points.
- A correct pick results in a minimum of 5 points. Guessing the score correctly will gain you an extra 5 added to your minimum. If your prediction is off by 1-6 points, you get an extra 4. 7-12 is an extra 3. 13-18 is an extra 2, and 19-25 is 1 extra point.
- An incorrect pick can also result in points, though your predicted score will have to be closer. It will also have to be a close game for you to get these points. If your prediction is 2-4 points away from the actual score, you will get 5 points. 5-7 will get 4 points, 8-11 will get 3 points, 12-15 will get 2 points, and 16-20 will get 1 point.
- I want you to post a reason with your pick. For one, it makes things more interesting. Secondly, it helps us know what you are thinking. It seperates a great pick from just a random shot in the dark.
- In the event of a 1st place tie, the winner will be decided by total number of Upset Specials hit this season.

Okay, this part is very important:
- Everyone except for geaux and J4y, you will post your pick in the designated thread(this thread), like normal. Try to get your pick in before noon ET on the day of the Super Bowl.
- For geaux and J4y, you will make your picks elsewhere, in secret. In the interest of fair-play, you two will be sending your picks to an unbiased middleman: wallymartin. Once he has the pick, the predicted score, and the reasoning behind it from each of you, he'll post them in the Pick'em thread for us. Get your pick in to wally at least a day ahead of time(please).

Final pick, make it count:

Super Bowl XLIV
Indianapolis Colts vs New Orleans Saints
IND: -- NO: --

Explain: (at least 2 sentences)
------------------
------------------
------------------

Bobbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Bobbles

Super Bowl XLIV
IND: 30 NO: 20

Explain: F*** that cocky piece of s*** Reggie Bush; I don't want to see that douche win a ring nor do I want to see Shockey's stupid face after he actually contributes to winning a ring. Sorry Brees, I like you, but Manning is better.

If the Colts win on Sunday, can people finally say with justification that Manning>Brady? I think so.

JackBurton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#3 JackBurton
Member since 2002 • 3808 Posts
Super Bowl XLIV
Indianapolis Colts
vs New Orleans Saints
IND: 33 NO: 24

------------------
------------------
Blazer88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#4 Blazer88
Member since 2004 • 2066 Posts

Super Bowl XLIV
IND: 31 NO: 28

Explain:

The Colts are good on both offense and defense. thier weakest link is probably thier running game but more so than any Qb in he league right now Peyton Manning is able to carry an entire team by himself.

The Saints started great this season but really have fallen off. i would actually prefer that they win but i think they are not the better team here and will need some 2007 NY Giants-like luck for them to win this one.

wwe4ever_in05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#5 wwe4ever_in05
Member since 2005 • 5173 Posts

Super Bowl XLIV
IND: 21 NO: 32

I can see both of these teams winning for different reasons, but I guess the main reason why I think the Saints are going to win isn't cause they are hungrier, the reason just has somke better Weapons then the Colts.

Like for example, Drew Brees and Payton are both great at what they do, and then there is Reggie Bush, Pierre Thomas for the Saints and then the Colts have Joseph Addai and that is really it so I think the Saints are going to win by Running on Frist downs and Second Downs and also Passing sometime then too, and as for Third Down I see the Saints Passing more then Running, but Though it all I do see the Saints winning with the Gasme with the Running game, and C?olt on the Passing game so it will be a shootout,

Saints win 32- 21.

flo17602

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#6 flo17602
Member since 2006 • 6051 Posts

IND: 31 NO: 21

Colts has a Good Defense and Offense and could buckle under the pressure!

Saints has players that are hurt And a lot of pressure to win from the last superbowl victory they had!

Goliath_unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#7 Goliath_unit
Member since 2006 • 3930 Posts

Super Bowl XLIV

Extremely hard game for me to pick. The Colts do have experience and Peyton Manning on their side here, which greatly helps them here. Manning can really pick the Saints defence apart, and I don't know how they'll stop Manning, unless they can catch a few lucky interceptions, and the Saint's haven't done well against the run lately. However, the injury to Dwight Freeny is HUGE. You'll have to pressure Brees in order to be able to stop him, and even if Freeny is playing, he'll be limited and won't be as explosive as usual, so they'll have to blitz Brees, which really will backfire. The Colts haven't faced many elite QB's all year (only Warner, Brady and Schaub, and those QB's all got some numbers on them, so Brees can have a great day here. This is also the first time this postseason the Colts will face an elite QB, so they might even struggle stopping the run. Also, the "Nobody Believes in Us" sort of applies to them here, and while they definetly aren't an overwhelming underdog (unlike the Cards and Giants) it still does apply to them here, as the Colts do seem to be the medium-heavy favourite. I really don't know who has the better chance, so I'll pick who I want to win and go with the Saints.

IND: 30 NO: 33

HumanTorch101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 HumanTorch101
Member since 2005 • 6006 Posts

Super Bowl XLIV
IND: 45 NO: 40

The Colts will win this game for two reasons.  They have Peyton Manning who is a truly amazing player who can adjust to anything on the fly.  Also, their defense is just so fast.  There will not be much defense and it will come down to the last play and I think the Colts will be the one to have the ball last.  However, if the Saints do win, I will not be upset at all.

Bobbles

Finished.

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts
Super Bowl XLIV
IND: 24 NO: 31

This game is going to be determined by the defenses, which I feel the Saints have some edge. Both offenses are fantastic, both QBs are fantastic. New Orleans is able to use their run game better than Indy. Also I don't like Indy, and I'm tired of Peyton's huge forehead. :x
Ngamer05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ngamer05
Member since 2003 • 11577 Posts
Super Bowl XLIV
IND: 42 NO: 34

I DON'T like the Saints and think their blitz happy defense will get picked apart by the great Peyton Manning. Brees is a very good quarterback, but he'll realize that the best recipe for success today will be to run the ball and keep the ball from Peyton. And for the pass happy Saints, I don't see that happening.
mvphalo8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 mvphalo8
Member since 2005 • 10748 Posts
Super Bowl XLIV
IND: 31 NO: 23

Explain: Of course, between the two the Siants have the more explosive offense, but in reality I have to go witth the QB that knows how to get the job done, Peyton. It was three Super Bowls ago when he faced that great Bears defense that carried Chicago to the Super Bowl, and for this year the Saints have had a good defense, but truthfully the Saints live and die by Drew Brees, and it will be up to him to keep pace with Peyton.
Major_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Major_Snake
Member since 2007 • 5271 Posts
LOL I realized I missed the entire season in pick'em after such a nice rookie debut last year. :P
dnangelaphil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 dnangelaphil
Member since 2008 • 50 Posts

Super Bowl XLIV
IND: 31 NO: 30

The colts will win fair and square because A) they're a better team and more well rounded, and B) the saints have been setting themselves up to lose these past few games by not playing well. 

I expect the saints to come in like they own the place and loose barely.

justified615

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 justified615
Member since 2007 • 704 Posts

Super Bowl XLIV
IND: 24 NO: 17

It will definitely be a hard fought game, and it will be one of those matches that was a lot closer than the score will lead on. In the end, I believe Peyton will hold up the Trophy once more.
supermanj9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 supermanj9
Member since 2009 • 1585 Posts

Super Bowl XLIV
Indianapolis Colts vs NEW ORLEANS SAINTS
14 NO: 28

Because this the saints one chanse to tell every one that the Who-Dat nation means something.

I gaurantee a victory for the saints WWHHOO-DDAATT

------------------

garey017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

#16 garey017
Member since 2006 • 1725 Posts

Super Bowl XLIV
IND: 34 NO: 24

I don't need two sentences, I just need two words: MANNING and EXPERIENCE

Manning is freaking amazing, he's a football genius and even without his brain he's got great talent. It's true the Colts run game scares nobody, but it's amazing how much that really does not matter at all.

The Colts have been in the Super Bowl before, recently. I don't see the Saints as the type to crack under pressure, but the experience will do nothing but help the Colts.

The Colts really don't seem beatable, by anyone this year. Yeah, they lost a couple games when they weren't really trying, but depending on how you look at it Manning and the rest of the starters are undefeated. The Saints on the other hand, as great as they are, were starting to show some weakness there at the end of the season.

Either way, these are two teams that are capable of coming back out of nowhere, and putting big numbers up in a short period of time. I think this is going to be a good, exciting game.

themyrmidon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 themyrmidon
Member since 2007 • 5567 Posts
Super Bowl XLIV
IND: 31 NO: 23

Explain: Of course, between the two the Siants have the more explosive offense, but in reality I have to go witth the QB that knows how to get the job done, Peyton. It was three Super Bowls ago when he faced that great Bears defense that carried Chicago to the Super Bowl, and for this year the Saints have had a good defense, but truthfully the Saints live and die by Drew Brees, and it will be up to him to keep pace with Peyton. mvphalo8
I'll just go with what he said.
Ryder004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ryder004
Member since 2007 • 4371 Posts

and for this year the Saints have had a good defensemvphalo8

LOL!!! HAHA

wallymartin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 wallymartin
Member since 2004 • 12165 Posts
I've got both picks in my inbox. Will post tomorrow.
Avatar image for sfgiantsfan8291
sfgiantsfan8291

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 sfgiantsfan8291
Member since 2005 • 12011 Posts
Super Bowl XLIV
IND: 27 NO: 21

Peyton Manning > Drew Brees. Even if Freeney isn't 100%, the Colts have the advantage on the defensive side of the ball. Brees will be under pressure all night and turnovers will be forced. Oh and people need to hop off this "breakout game for Bush" bandwagon.
rockguy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 rockguy92
Member since 2007 • 21559 Posts

Super Bowl XLIV
IND: 30 NO: 21

Primary reason: Manning. He tore apart the Jets' defense, which was best in the NFL. The Saints were completely outplayed by the Vikings. They cause five turnovers and still came that close to losing. New Orleans' defense isn't on par with the Jets'. Colts win with a great game from Manning.

wallymartin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 wallymartin

**** deadlines!

Super Bowl XLIV
IND: 38 NO: 27

Explain: The only thing the Saints really have on the Colts is the Interception, and a little better running game (though I don't think either team will bother running much). Sharper and Co. will have to force some turnovers to have a chance, and while I think they can and probably will, the Colts are overall stronger in every other aspect of the game, and so Indy comes out on top. In a historical context, this is nothing more than Peyton's 2nd ring.

wallymartin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 wallymartin

The Finalist's Picks
---------------------

New Orleans vs. Indianapolis
NO: 35 IND: 27

Why the Saints will win:

Defense:
The Saints like to blitz no question about it. They can get enough push up the middle to cause Manning to move around and make his throws will be a key. Jabari Greer is highly underrated at CB, he allows a catch 46.9% of the time which is in the top 5 in the league. On average during the regular season the Saints allowed 4 catches for 45 yards and 0.06 TD's per game against TD's. I believe much like the game against Arizona the Saints will play more 3-3-5 defense and give Peyton a lot of different looks in the defense. Jonathan Vilma is returning to Miami (he played ball at The U), he made tons of plays against the Vikings and made great audibles to mess up Brett Favre.

Offense:
The Saints will win the battle on the offensive line with or without Dwight Freeney. The Colts don't like to blitz as much and rely more on the 4 up front. The Saints will run Pierre Thomas up the middle behind Carl Nicks and Jahri Evans leading the way. The screen game might not be as effective with the fast Indy defense, but the Colts don't have tall CB's which will mean Marques Colston will be open on almost every play. Jeremy Shockey is out to prove something after missing the Giants/Pats Super Bowl and with the week off he should be healthy and be a huge threat.

Special Teams:
Thomas Morstead has proven his worth as a 5th round pick last year with stellar kickoffs and he has been pinning opponents deep in the playoffs. Garrett Hartley shouldn't have anything to fear now after hitting the clutch FG in OT to put the Saints in this game. Courtney Roby has returned one KO for TD this year, and has broken several big ones as well. Reggie Bush can be electric if he catches the ball cleanly.

Intangibles:
The Saints have faced two veteran QB's in the playoffs, while the Colts have faced a rookie and a second year player. Both teams are 1-0 in Miami this year, the Colts with a 4 point win, while the Saints came back from 21 points down to win by 12. The past 5 Super Bowl winners wore white jerseys, the Saints will be wearing white. The Madden prediction has been right 5 out of 6 times, the Madden prediction had the Saints winning. Lastly, Brett Favre threw an INT on his last play against the Giants when New York beat Favre in OT to go to the Super Bowl. The Giants would go on to win the Super Bowl against the Pats in a game which most people had the Pats winning easy (oh, and I won pick 'em that year because I picked the Giants to win).

geaux321

Wallace, Im taking the Saints to win it all. The only reason I am picking the Aints is becasue I know Geaux is gonna pick them so I am taking the safe route. Hopefully my score is closer to the real score.

Saints - 31

Colts - 27

J4y_CNX

Bobbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Bobbles
Well, I'll update the Pick'em results later, but J4y is the 2010 Pick'em champ.
geaux321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25 geaux321
Member since 2003 • 19424 Posts
Well played J4y.