dodgerblue13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 dodgerblue13
Member since 2004 • 20846 Posts

No link yet, but it't a banner on www.nfl.com.

Comments?

Edit: banner

Ryder004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Ryder004
Member since 2007 • 4371 Posts
hmm Thigpen was pretty good towards the end.....trade makes no sense to me. Better them then us thought
Thordain0011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Thordain0011
Member since 2006 • 1416 Posts

Stunning actually, I really like Thigpen, so I wonder if he will now be released or traded.

Link

Blazer88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#4 Blazer88
Member since 2004 • 2066 Posts
Well if Cassel plays like he did last season KC should do much better this season than last.
Espurs117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 Espurs117
Member since 2005 • 22817 Posts
Im not to confident on Cassel but a 2nd rounder is a good deal, id make it in a heartbeat if I needed a QB. Ryder your team fails again!
Blazer88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Blazer88

I explained this in another thread but as far as the draft is concerned the Pats are looking pretty good as they currently have...

Round 1 #23

Round 2 #34, 47, and 58

Round 3 # 89

And there is the possibility of getting compensatory pick when those are given out for the loss of Asante Samuael giving the Pats possibly 6 picks in the first 3 rounds as it predicted it would be at least 3rd rounder. Seems like a pretty good position to be in for the draft to me.

Ryder004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ryder004
Member since 2007 • 4371 Posts

. Ryder your team fails again! Espurs117

f*ck you i didnt want cassel's b*tch ass

wallymartin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 wallymartin
Member since 2004 • 12165 Posts
If he was going anywhere, KC was the place.
kalabo10688

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 kalabo10688
Member since 2006 • 2605 Posts

I explained this in another thread but as far as the draft is concerned the Pats are looking pretty good as they currently have...

Round 1 #23

Round 2 #34, 47, and 58

Round 3 # 89

And there is the possibility of getting compensatory pick when those are given out for the loss of Asante Samuael giving the Pats possibly 6 picks in the first 3 rounds as it predicted it would be at least 3rd rounder. Seems like a pretty good position to be in for the draft to me.

Blazer88
I glad you clear this for me my cousin saying were gonna get kc draft spot
mvphalo8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 mvphalo8
Member since 2005 • 10748 Posts

Yeah, KC sounds like the great place. And because Scott P. is there too. :roll:

Man what are the Pats going to do next, trade RB Maroney for more draft picks. :P

Espurs117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 Espurs117
Member since 2005 • 22817 Posts

[QUOTE="Espurs117"]. Ryder your team fails again! Ryder004

Oh that's right my bad. You would rather waste a 1st on Josh Freeman rather than a 2nd on a guy who actually has NFL success. lol my mistake dude. Hey you should write the Bucs some of your ideas. 

haloraider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 haloraider
Member since 2006 • 3110 Posts
Obviously the Pats feel very comfortable with Brady's progress to trade such a capable replacement away.
DLateral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DLateral
Member since 2008 • 1240 Posts
I like this move by KC. Now its time to see how him and Bowe play together
HumanTorch101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14 HumanTorch101
Member since 2005 • 6006 Posts
[QUOTE="Ryder004"]

[QUOTE="Espurs117"]. Ryder your team fails again! Espurs117

Oh that's right my bad. You would rather waste a 1st on Josh Freeman rather than a 2nd on a guy who actually has NFL success. lol my mistake dude. Hey you should write the Bucs some of your ideas. 

Ha.  I saw Josh play for 3 years and he had streaks of being awesome and then streaks of playing like trash.  He is in my mind about a 3rd rounder because of his problems being consistent but I know he'll be anywhere from the mid-to-late 1st round to the early-to-mid 2nd round because he is a huge guy(about 6' 5" and 250) and he does have a super strong arm.

EDIT: On my team getting Cassel, I will reserve judgement until I see what he does in the season.  This is a good move on paper because he now has a quality backup in Thigpen.  I now am really thinking that Pioli might trade down in the 1st to get some more draft picks.

Avatar image for StreetBallerlol
StreetBallerlol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 StreetBallerlol
Member since 2008 • 1304 Posts
Yeah! I get to go to the Eagles game where I can see him.
Blazer88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Blazer88

Yeah, KC sounds like the great place. And because Scott P. is there too. :roll:

Man what are the Pats going to do next, trade RB Maroney for more draft picks. :P

mvphalo8

Not yet. I expect to them to give him another this season to actually do something and maybe trade him on his contract year if he doesn't put up some numbers.

[QUOTE="Espurs117"]. Ryder your team fails again! Ryder004

Hey I hear Jeff Garcia is availible.

favre4thewin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 favre4thewin
Member since 2008 • 693 Posts
[QUOTE="Espurs117"][QUOTE="Ryder004"]

EDIT: On my team getting Cassel, I will reserve judgement until I see what he does in the season.  This is a good move on paper because he now has a quality backup in Thigpen.  I now am really thinking that Pioli might trade down in the 1st to get some more draft picks.

HumanTorch101

I don't think they'll trade Thigpen, well at least this year.  The KC o-line was less than stellar at keeping QB's healthy last year.  A decent back up is hard to come by; just look at Dallas last year.  

I like this trade.  I think Cassel was the best QB option available this year (draft, FA or trade).  I look at it as KC drafted him with the 35 pick.  If Cassel was placed back in the draft after this past season, he would have went higher than that.

Here's the real question, what does KC do with the #3 pick?  Scott P. comes from NE and they usually draft lineman (Light, Mankins, Wilfork, Seymore, Warren).  Question is do they go offense or defense.  Offensive choices should be M. Crabtree and one of the top 3 tackles.  If Detroit goes with stafford they will have E. Monroe on the board.  I really think Detroit will take J. Smith and St Louis will follow the big man trend with E. Monroe. 

KC should have all of the top defenders on the board A. Curry, B. Orakpo and B. Raji.  I am starting to think that Orakpo is probably going to go #3.  

Either way, if your a KC fan, you can rest aside that your team will be better next year than its been in a long time.

HumanTorch101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18 HumanTorch101
Member since 2005 • 6006 Posts
[QUOTE="HumanTorch101"][QUOTE="Espurs117"][QUOTE="Ryder004"]

favre4thewin

I don't think they'll trade Thigpen, well at least this year.  The KC o-line was less than stellar at keeping QB's healthy last year.  A decent back up is hard to come by; just look at Dallas last year.  

I like this trade.  I think Cassel was the best QB option available this year (draft, FA or trade).  I look at it as KC drafted him with the 35 pick.  If Cassel was placed back in the draft after this past season, he would have went higher than that.

Here's the real question, what does KC do with the #3 pick?  Scott P. comes from NE and they usually draft lineman (Light, Mankins, Wilfork, Seymore, Warren).  Question is do they go offense or defense.  Offensive choices should be M. Crabtree and one of the top 3 tackles.  If Detroit goes with stafford they will have E. Monroe on the board.  I really think Detroit will take J. Smith and St Louis will follow the big man trend with E. Monroe. 

KC should have all of the top defenders on the board A. Curry, B. Orakpo and B. Raji.  I am starting to think that Orakpo is probably going to go #3.  

Either way, if your a KC fan, you can rest aside that your team will be better next year than its been in a long time.

I know that we'll be better but I am just not sure how much better we will be.  I think that we'll take Curry because he would be the safest choice for us.

Koi-Neon-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#19 Koi-Neon-X
Member since 2009 • 2148 Posts
I agree. They should have left Thigpen as is but, Cassel is a pretty good quarterback but, he won't be able to do it all on his own.
Avatar image for xXl_IMoRTaL_lXx
xXl_IMoRTaL_lXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 xXl_IMoRTaL_lXx
Member since 2008 • 7271 Posts
trading Cassel AND Vrabel for just a second round pick was stupid.
Blazer88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Blazer88

trading Cassel AND Vrabel for just a second round pick was stupid.xXl_IMoRTaL_lXx

Depends. The Pats could not risk being stuck with over 25% of thier salary cap being doveted to two QB's, one that may have done but sit on the bench all season.

Vrebel has been a great player for the team but he getting old, like 34 or 35 this year and his production was way down last year. Sure it might have come up again but maybe they were not willing to take the chance and were looking to make changes and that was one vet they were ready let go.

Speculation is going around bu the main accepted reasoning was that..

Coming into free agency the Pats were betting on maybe as many as 7 teams looking to upgrade thier QB spot but as combine rolled around and in the first day or so of free agency came and went it was looking like most were not going to bite. the Niners said thyer were not going to do it, the Vikings went for that other guy, Resenfelds or however you spell his name, the Lions seem to imply lack of interest too and the suppossed Denver deal came late and because it was a 3 wayer it was no sure thing and it could have taken weeks to go through wastingthe Patriots time and bargaining power in free agency.

Some other things to think about are......

Prior to the trade the Pats only had like 2 million cap space so by letting them go they got like 17 million or so free.

The Pats have a slew of players that will be on thier contract year and again could not act until this got done.

Cassel actual value is questionable. He did pretty good last season are you sure he will this season in KC? They do not exactly have NE's offensive talent. Don't get me wrong I think Cassel can succeed but I think that depends on the other players too.

Its the second pick of the second round. That is not exactly a bad thing by any means.

So I am not sure it was stupid. Options were limited and in order to do other things this had to be dealt with first and the reat of the league wasn't going to wait.

JackBurton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#22 JackBurton
Member since 2002 • 3808 Posts

[QUOTE="xXl_IMoRTaL_lXx"]trading Cassel AND Vrabel for just a second round pick was stupid.Blazer88

Depends. The Pats could not risk being stuck with over 25% of thier salary cap being doveted to two QB's, one that may have done but sit on the bench all season.

Vrebel has been a great player for the team but he getting old, like 34 or 35 this year and his production was way down last year. Sure it might have come up again but maybe they were not willing to take the chance and were looking to make changes and that was one vet they were ready let go.

Coming into free agency the Pats were betting on maybe as many as 7 teams looking to upgrade thier QB spot but as combine rolled around and in the first day or so of free agency came and went it was looking like most were not going to bite. the Niners said thyer were not going to do it, the Vikings went for that other guy, Resenfelds or however you spell his name, the Lions seem to imply lack of interest too and the suppossed Denver deal came late and because it was a 3 wayer it was no sure thing and it could have taken weeks to go through wastingthe Patriots time and bargaining power in free agency.

Prior to the trade the Pats only had like 2 million cap space so by letting them go they got like 17 million or so free.

The Pats have a slew of players that will be on thier contract year and again could not act until this got done.

Cassel actual value is questionable. He did pretty good last season are you sure he will this season in KC? They do not exactly have NE's offensive talent. Don't get me wrong I think Cassel can succeed but I think that depends on the other players too.

Its the second pick of the second round. That is not exactly a bad thing by any means.

So I am not sure it was stupid. Options were limited and in order to do other things this had to be dealt with first and the reat of the league wasn't going to wait.

It's not Marshall Faulk from Colts-to-Rams for a 2nd-rounder stupid (steal of century), but when yu consider Atlanta received two 2nd-rounders for Schaub, then it becomes questionable and looks like Pioli really got a discount from his former employer. Didn't you think Pats would get a 1st & 3rd, two 2's or a 2nd plus ___ ? As u said, at least it's #34 overall. Still, I expected them to get more.

Rvdecwthug1976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Rvdecwthug1976
Member since 2005 • 4593 Posts
[QUOTE="Blazer88"]

[QUOTE="xXl_IMoRTaL_lXx"]trading Cassel AND Vrabel for just a second round pick was stupid.JackBurton

It's not Marshall Faulk from Colts-to-Rams for a 2nd-rounder stupid (steal of century), but when yu consider Atlanta received two 2nd-rounders for Schaub, then it becomes questionable and looks like Pioli really got a discount from his former employer. Didn't you think Pats would get a 1st & 3rd, two 2's or a 2nd plus ___ ? As u said, at least it's #34 overall. Still, I expected them to get more.

I think they could have got a high first round pick for Cassel, but they said on ESPN the other day, that Belichick did not want a player that high, because they would have to pay him too much money

I was thinking Carolina would have made a run at Matt Cassel, because they clearly need to upgrade their QB position and Belichick and New England could have got a first round pick that would not have broke the bank either. This would have been a better trade for New England and Carolina, now why this was not explored is anybody's guess

Also there is a part of me that is saying Bill Belichick might pull a surprise with his first round pick and draft Chris Wells out of Ohio State, if he is still there, when New England picks, because they need to upgrade their RB position, Maroney is too injury prone and I think Belichick would not mind having a big brusing Physical RB and it makes sense, because it will made Tom Brady's job a lot easier

Blazer88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Blazer88
[QUOTE="JackBurton"][QUOTE="Blazer88"]

[QUOTE="xXl_IMoRTaL_lXx"]trading Cassel AND Vrabel for just a second round pick was stupid.Rvdecwthug1976

I think they could have got a high first round pick for Cassel, but they said on ESPN the other day, that Belichick did not want a player that high, because they would have to pay him too much money

I was thinking Carolina would have made a run at Matt Cassel, because they clearly need to upgrade their QB position and Belichick and New England could have got a first round pick that would not have broke the bank either. This would have been a better trade for New England and Carolina, now why this was not explored is anybody's guess

Also there is a part of me that is saying Bill Belichick might pull a surprise with his first round pick and draft Chris Wells out of Ohio State, if he is still there, when New England picks, because they need to upgrade their RB position, Maroney is too injury prone and I think Belichick would not mind having a big brusing Physical RB and it makes sense, because it will made Tom Brady's job a lot easier

The Panthers do need a QB but they didn't seem to show any interest. I think the Pats priority was to get whatever they could for Cassel and get him off the books.

Nope, not gift. That doesn't make any sense. Yeah Belichick likes Pioli but its a business and teams got players to sign and cap space to manage. They go hand in hand and you never know the Pats may still do something else with space they did gain many of there big free agent signing came weeks in, like Moss..

JackBurton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#25 JackBurton
Member since 2002 • 3808 Posts

New Orleans traded 1st, 2nd and 3rd-rnd picks for Steve Walsh after 8 rookie starts: 110 of 219 for 1,371 yds, 5 TDs and 9 INTs (NCAA: 23-1 as starter; '87 Championship. JJ vs Switzer pwnage 8) )

Houston traded two 2nd-rounders for Matt Schaub, this after 1 start + appearing in 12 games: 84 of 161 for 1,033 yds, 6 TDs and 6 INTs. (NCAA: ACC's OPoY at VA and what else? geaux, espurs help plz)

Miami traded a 2nd-round pick for A.J. Feeley after 5 starts, 7 games total: 96 of 168 for 1,154 yards, 8TDs and 6 INTs. (Has Oregon yet produced a legit NFL QB since Dan Fouts besides Chris Miller? :?)

Matt Cassel in '08: 327 of 516 for 3,693 yds, 21 TDs and 11 INTs. And 11 wins. Do these numbers not qualify him to be placed between Feeley and Schaub in terms of trade value? Seriously, why not?

favre4thewin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 favre4thewin
Member since 2008 • 693 Posts
[QUOTE="JackBurton"][QUOTE="Blazer88"]

[QUOTE="xXl_IMoRTaL_lXx"]trading Cassel AND Vrabel for just a second round pick was stupid.Rvdecwthug1976

I think the Pats could have gotten a pick a little bit higher for Cassel.  I think the best they could do was mid to late first round.  I really didn't see any of the top 10 teams trading thier pick for him.  Detriot seemed like it could have made a play for Cassel using the 20th pick in the first round and a 2nd day pick.  The 2nd round pick isn't a bad deal.  The throw in, Vrabel, makes the trade amazing for KC.

Its hard to see the Panthers trading thier first round pick for Cassel since they don't have one.  It went to the Eagles last year for Jeff Otah.  The Eagles should have kept the pick and drafted Otah.  I guess they didn't forsee both of their tackles being over 30 and becoming FA's.

Even if the Panthers had thier 1st round pick, I still doubt they would have traded it to the Pats for Cassel.  Delhomme is coming off a good year, sans the playoff game.  Jake didn't help in that game, the whole team came out and layed an egg.  I would imagine that the Panthers would take a young QB later in the draft and start prepping him in hopes that he could take over in 2-3 years (sparring an injury to Jake).

Anyway, if I was a Pat fan, I would be a little pissed about losing Vrabel, but at the same time, he is pretty old and tied up cap room.

Blazer88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Blazer88
[QUOTE="Rvdecwthug1976"][QUOTE="JackBurton"][QUOTE="Blazer88"]

[QUOTE="xXl_IMoRTaL_lXx"]trading Cassel AND Vrabel for just a second round pick was stupid.favre4thewin

I think the Pats could have gotten a pick a little bit higher for Cassel. I think the best they could do was mid to late first round. I really didn't see any of the top 10 teams trading thier pick for him. Detriot seemed like it could have made a play for Cassel using the 20th pick in the first round and a 2nd day pick. The 2nd round pick isn't a bad deal. The throw in, Vrabel, makes the trade amazing for KC.

Its hard to see the Panthers trading thier first round pick for Cassel since they don't have one. It went to the Eagles last year for Jeff Otah. The Eagles should have kept the pick and drafted Otah. I guess they didn't forsee both of their tackles being over 30 and becoming FA's.

Even if the Panthers had thier 1st round pick, I still doubt they would have traded it to the Pats for Cassel. Delhomme is coming off a good year, sans the playoff game. Jake didn't help in that game, the whole team came out and layed an egg. I would imagine that the Panthers would take a young QB later in the draft and start prepping him in hopes that he could take over in 2-3 years (sparring an injury to Jake).

Anyway, if I was a Pat fan, I would be a little pissed about losing Vrabel, but at the same time, he is pretty old and tied up cap room.

I am not. I am of the mind right now that it time to move one with the older players and get younger and faster. Nostolgia does for them doesn;t win championships.

I thin some who have written here though, not you in particular Fvre4the win, are missing the point. Cassel had good year despite the adversity he had to overcome. There really is no denying that. But trading is not so cut dry as just say he did better than this QB and that one so he must be worth this much.

Not to mention the other factors such as what can do with your salary cap at practically nothing as you wait for these 1st rounder that osmne of you think were out there being offered to appear.

Do you guys know what a team with a busted cap does during free agency?

Ask Carolina who is exactly that situation. They do nothing because they cannot.

The simple fact is this they seem to have made the right desicion because they didn;t want to risk being stuck with Cassel eating up over 1 quarter of thier salary cap. Not a sinlge signing they did so far could have happened had they.

Of yeah and then there is this...

http://blogs.usatoday.com/thehuddle/2009/03/belichick-pats.html

And I quote

"Patriots coach Bill Belichick said he never received an offer of a first-round pick for Matt Cassel and consummated a trade that sent the quarterback to the Chiefs "because there really wasn't any interest" among other teams."

There was none and he simply was not willing to wait or see if some risky venture of a three way trade could go thorugh with Denver/Buccaneers which judging by how that things are going in Denver right now should say that it again was not the right desicion to wait.