Will Phones that update to 4.0 have the ics holo theme?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Hypereagle (282 posts) -

Im in between the Galaxy Nexus and Droid Razr Maxx which just happens to be available on the day i get to upgrade. I really want the holo theme, and the maxx has alot better battery life but, i do not like the motorola skin, I assume since motorola is now google they will have the holo theme. I would just like a little reinsurace.

#2 Posted by semianonymous (6685 posts) -

You have a thorough misunderstanding of the googorola merger. Until the merger is complete, which it is not, Motorola has absolutely no requirement to create stock android phones. The Razr, unless you root it, will always have motoblur in some form or another, even if you tuck it away with a custom launcher. Period.

Now, that said; ICS mandates all modified skins to include the holo theme so that any menus, popup windows, etc that developers choose to use implement into their apps can have the holo theme to them.

Like I said, you will never have a stock experience on the Razr without rooting. If you are fine with rooting, and want a virtually indestructible phone, go for the Razr. If you want a bigger phone, stock with or without rooting, go for the Nexus.

#4 Posted by UssjTrunks (10043 posts) -

Custom launchers will allow you to mimic the Holo theme if you don't want to root your phone (since the menus will already be Holo, and the launcher will replace your home screen/app drawer, you'll be pretty close to the Holo experience).

#5 Posted by Hypereagle (282 posts) -
what are you talking about? google had already stated that having the holo theme mandatory on all new phones was to prevent fragmentation, Companies can still have there own custom launchers like motoblur, but the stock launcher has to be installed as well.
#6 Posted by semianonymous (6685 posts) -

what are you talking about? google had already stated that having the holo theme mandatory on all new phones was to prevent fragmentation, Companies can still have there own custom launchers like motoblur, but the stock launcher has to be installed as well.Hypereagle

Dude, I'm the one who first posted that here. Again, you have a misunderstanding of how it works. The ICS launcher is not required. Only the theme, specifically so that app developers can utilize ICS themes so their apps look the same across all devices.

#7 Posted by Hypereagle (282 posts) -
I made my decision I will be getting the galaxy nexus. Since the nexus is like the solid base phone for the android platform much like Nokia for windows blackberry for blackberry and apple with, well the iPhone. Considering also that Samsung is the main part producer for the iPhone which aside for its lack of customization, and individuality, and last generation hardware and tiny screen is a very solid phone because of the sum of its Samsung parts. As far as the razr I understand that it is a very durable phone, but that's what I have insurance for I have no need for a 21hour battery, although I will buy the extended battery for the nexus. But overall the thing that kills me. He main reason I will not get the razr. Is sh#ty Motoblur and the bloat ware installed. I love the ics look and feel. I do not want to wait six months to get it to find Motoblur making it look like crap. And yes I can root my device and install the ics launcher but that doesn't stop Motoblur from slowing down my phone, making my dialer look like a child's toy, and having a status bar that takes up half the screen. So officially with a poll of 50/50 I have decided to get the galaxy nexus tomarow. The next time I post I will be doing so on the nexus and I will comment on if I made the right decision
#8 Posted by mystic_knight (13801 posts) -
I made my decision I will be getting the galaxy nexus. Since the nexus is like the solid base phone for the android platform much like Nokia for windows blackberry for blackberry and apple with, well the iPhone. Considering also that Samsung is the main part producer for the iPhone which aside for its lack of customization, and individuality, and last generation hardware and tiny screen is a very solid phone because of the sum of its Samsung parts. As far as the razr I understand that it is a very durable phone, but that's what I have insurance for I have no need for a 21hour battery, although I will buy the extended battery for the nexus. But overall the thing that kills me. He main reason I will not get the razr. Is sh#ty Motoblur and the bloat ware installed. I love the ics look and feel. I do not want to wait six months to get it to find Motoblur making it look like crap. And yes I can root my device and install the ics launcher but that doesn't stop Motoblur from slowing down my phone, making my dialer look like a child's toy, and having a status bar that takes up half the screen. So officially with a poll of 50/50 I have decided to get the galaxy nexus tomarow. The next time I post I will be doing so on the nexus and I will comment on if I made the right decisionHypereagle
:? Motoblur is not used on the razr, well its modified from its older releases and its actually a great UI with cool smart actions. Do not compare the razr UI to any of the previous motoblur UI's its very different. Semianonymous is actually correct about the holo theme its only used for applications to keep them consistent across the android OS. You will never get a vanilla experience unless you choose a phone made by google (and who ever they partner up with) or if you root it. I still place the RAZR as better than a galaxy nexus, Build quality is superior with similar hardware functions and a super amoled advanced screen, greater contrast ratio for more vibrant colours. Accessories such as a laptop dock and a car mounted gps holder all improve the usefulness. The only downside is the wide bezel that surrounds the screen making it feel a little big to hold. The galaxy nexus has 2 features which make it better, NFC and 720p display.
#9 Posted by semianonymous (6685 posts) -

:? Motoblur is not used on the razr, well its modified from its older releases and its actually a great UI with cool smart actions. Do not compare the razr UI to any of the previous motoblur UI's its very different. Semianonymous is actually correct about the holo theme its only used for applications to keep them consistent across the android OS. You will never get a vanilla experience unless you choose a phone made by google (and who ever they partner up with) or if you root it. I still place the RAZR as better than a galaxy nexus, Build quality is superior with similar hardware functions and a super amoled advanced screen, greater contrast ratio for more vibrant colours. Accessories such as a laptop dock and a car mounted gps holder all improve the usefulness. The only downside is the wide bezel that surrounds the screen making it feel a little big to hold. The galaxy nexus has 2 features which make it better, NFC and 720p display.mystic_knight

-motoblur is on the razr

-motoblur on the razr is visually identical to everything used from the Droid X on

-the Galaxy nexus has a Super Amoled HD screen. This is wildly superior to the razr's QHD super amoled screen for obvious reasons. Not sure where you got this Super Amoled "advanced" thing from

-Nexus has all those accessories

Just sayin'

#10 Posted by Hypereagle (282 posts) -

[QUOTE="mystic_knight"] :? Motoblur is not used on the razr, well its modified from its older releases and its actually a great UI with cool smart actions. Do not compare the razr UI to any of the previous motoblur UI's its very different. Semianonymous is actually correct about the holo theme its only used for applications to keep them consistent across the android OS. You will never get a vanilla experience unless you choose a phone made by google (and who ever they partner up with) or if you root it. I still place the RAZR as better than a galaxy nexus, Build quality is superior with similar hardware functions and a super amoled advanced screen, greater contrast ratio for more vibrant colours. Accessories such as a laptop dock and a car mounted gps holder all improve the usefulness. The only downside is the wide bezel that surrounds the screen making it feel a little big to hold. The galaxy nexus has 2 features which make it better, NFC and 720p display.semianonymous

-motoblur is on the razr

-motoblur on the razr is visually identical to everything used from the Droid X on

-the Galaxy nexus has a Super Amoled HD screen. This is wildly superior to the razr's QHD super amoled screen for obvious reasons. Not sure where you got this Super Amoled "advanced" thing from

Just sayin'

Thank you for rebutting Mystics comment, I actually laughed when i read that. Just a quick correct though the galaxy nexus does not have its own lap dock, I don't know if it is compatible, but honestly who cares. the lap dock pro is 350 dollars, even though smartphones are powerful they are not that powerful. you are essentially paying 600 dollars for a net book. no thanks
#11 Posted by mystic_knight (13801 posts) -

-motoblur is on the razr
Just sayin'
semianonymous

Ok
1) I did say it has a very different modified version of the blur UI

Motoblur is not used on the razr, well its modified from its older releases and its actually a great UI with cool smart actions.mystic_knight

2) I can only speak for Australia, we don't have the droid x here, so i apologise on that respect. It was the first one to introduce the new refined experience.
3) Read the screen features on the bottom left. It does have the Super AMOLED Advanced screen. (I did mention the 720p display was the nexus' way)
4) Nexus does not have the Lapdock, even though these are extras, it makes your phone more versatile.

#12 Posted by semianonymous (6685 posts) -

-you can call it ninjablur, not blur, "Motorola's android experience", whatever you want. Its still motoblur, its still a garbage resource hog. Also great UI what? Not-motoblur is horrible.

-Fair enough

-Also fair enough. Pointing out this Samoled "advanced" thing as a perk against the Nexus is silly, given that its a smaller screen with a lower resolution using the same Samoled tech compared to the Nexus.

-I missed that one on the dock. That said, I personally think the dock is a half baked, ergonomically miserable, over priced accessory that not many people even bought.

#13 Posted by mystic_knight (13801 posts) -
The new motoblur experience is actually less resource heavy than the older motoblur, check cnet articles which outlined this, obviously its no comparison to vanilla android, but any improvement is welcomed. I wouldn't put it as nice as HTC's sense but id place it equal to touchwiz. 720p is nice but its not something has been taken advantage of yet with apps, so the qHD resolution for the most part is more than enough, dont get me wrong i wish the razr maxx upgraded their screen to 720p as well, its just not as influential in the scheme of things as we would like it to be. Hence why i gave the amoled advanced as a bonus. Ultimately the phones are both top tier phones, those coupled with the rezound and GS2 are all safe bets when making a purchase. Personally i could have upgraded to the nexus or razr but have refused to since the quad cores will be here soon, i believe its worthwhile to wait, as i expect NFC to hit as a standard and im hoping for a better LTE frequency ??? 700mhz, in the next 4-5 months we will see the new samsung, htc and sony phones coming out. personally i don't mind waiting.