Whats better for Gaming? Ipad Air 2 or a Android Tablet?

chriscoolguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 chriscoolguy
Member since 2011 • 729 Posts

As of right now, and also will the newer tablets that come out and use Windows 10 be a lot better for gaming because they will be able to run all the windows games?

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

Windows 8.1 tablets are currently the best for gaming as they run on x86 hardware. They are only limited by the system requirements of the game.

The iPad Air 2 has a massive selection of OpenGL ES 2.0 / OpenGL ES 3.0 titles, but the A8X hardware was already outdated at launch. This was due to Apple's decision to use a GPU that only supports up to OpenGL ES 3.1 (or equivalent).

NVIDIA's Shield Tablet is the most powerful Android gaming tablet with a Kepler GPU it can support up to DX12 or OpenGL 4.4. It has exclusive PC ports to utilize those features, support for NVIDIA GRID (cloud PC gaming), and support for streaming games running on your PC (with a NVIDIA GPU) to your tablet.

Both the Air 2 and Shield Tablet are fighting for second place behind Windows tablet. Both have their pros/cons, and that extends beyond just using them for gaming.

Currently the most powerful tablet (by far) is the Dell Venue 11 Pro 7140 which runs Windows 8.1 64-bit and uses Intel's Core M 5Y10.

chriscoolguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 chriscoolguy
Member since 2011 • 729 Posts

I thought IOS's metal was better than OpenGL though? me and my wife have a photography business. And it seems for multi media the Air 2 is the best, a few more multi media apps, plus the non reflective screen. Are there any android or windows tablets with IPS NON REFLECTIVE screens?

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

@chriscoolguy said:

I thought IOS's metal was better than OpenGL though? me and my wife have a photography business. And it seems for multi media the Air 2 is the best, a few more multi media apps, plus the non reflective screen. Are there any android or windows tablets with IPS NON REFLECTIVE screens?

Metal is just a lower level API, but it still offers equivalent features to OpenGL ES 3.1. A lot of the features in the first batch of games that utilize metal have already been available on Android games optimized for NVIDIA Tegra. From what I've seen, Metal is nothing more than filler until the next industry standard is released, OpenGL Next Gen (low level API with equivalent features to DX12).

Moving forward, the Dell Venue 11 Pro 7140 is one of the first Core M devices, so there hasn't yet been a review of display performance as far as I know. There are older Windows tablets built for professional use, but they use the now outdated Bay Trail Atom processor, Core M is a lot more powerful. CES starts in a day, and a number of companies will be launching Core M tablets and 2-in-1's in the coming days.

Asking for a non-reflective display can also be quite vague as it really depends on your applications. Apple's anti-reflective coating on their display still doesn't make the tablet usable in direct sunlight, but it can be a help on a cloudy day, however, Apple's non-reflective coating takes a toll on off angle viewing.

Displaymate claims the OLED display on the Galaxy Tab S 10.5 (Android) is best display on any tablet (link):

Based on our extensive Lab tests and measurements, the Galaxy Tab S is the Best Performing Tablet Display that we have ever tested

Credit Displaymate

Despite that, I would not recommend the Galaxy Tab S 10.5 over the iPad Air 2 for general use.

Mister-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Mister-Man
Member since 2014 • 616 Posts

Yeah, No. Don't listen to a word Nvidiati says on the subject of gaming. He's clueless.

Aside from the iPad Air 2 having the best benchmark scores across the board, Android Tablet gaming is hilariously filled with shortcomings. The most glaring one is the complete lack of faith developers have in making games for it

The entire gaming industry has and still does peg iOS devices as the premier gaming platforms in mobile. The developer support reflects this reality, both with hundreds of exclusive titles as well as titles that always arrive on iOS before an Android version is ported half a year to a full year later.

The neat thing about iPad gaming is the ability to connect in multiplayer games across all form factors: Tablet, Phone and iPod. As long as your friends have the game on either device, you're good to go. The same can't be said about Androids deeply fragmented ecosystem. This is why Android fanboys put old ROMs on a pedestal. They don't have much choice.

Gaming was never a golden highlight of Android as much as customizing buttons and menu's are. lol

Metal may be a low level API, but its a low level API thats handily beating "higher-level" bullcrap that Android relies on. Much like how iPhones run much faster and cleaner using only half the RAM and half the processing speed, Androids clumsy and resource hungry OS really shows its lack of grace in its multi-platform games.

effimote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 effimote
Member since 2014 • 60 Posts

vote for ipad air 2 .nice touch and good speed

Mister-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Mister-Man
Member since 2014 • 616 Posts

yep. Until Android gets the same attention, support and better hardware, its really crap for games