Thoughts on 4.2?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

WiiRocks66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 WiiRocks66
Member since 2007 • 3488 Posts

I've been running 4.2 on my Galaxy Nexus for the past few days and I'm kind of disappointed. For one, the new lockscreen is awful. It looks ugly and is a mess to use. It feels like it was rushed. The new clock, though they finally added the timer and stopwatch functions from AOSP, is hideous and frustrating to use. It's red and gray. Where did the red come from? It's the only stock app that's primarily red instead of blue. It feels out of place.

Other than that, 4.2 is nice. I love gesture typing. It works much better than Swype and now I don't have to go through the PITA process of installing Swype every time I flash a new rom. The new camera and icon are nice, and photo sphere is cool. And the GNex seems to take slightly better pictures. The camera focuses a lot better. And it's about time they added something like quick settings, which works great.

So what are your thoughts on 4.2?

flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
I agree with regards to the lock screen. I know it was meant to be more convenient, or accessible, or whatever, but it's just annoying. I've seen better from GO or AWD. I haven't used gesture typing yet though. My tab (N7) doesn't have back camera, so I don't think I can use photo sphere (not that I've tried). I'm not using the quick settings as much as I thought I would. Also, I have no need for multiple accounts. Overall, the upgrade wasn't something that really did anything for me. It's still stable and fast, and that's all that matters to me.
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
From what I've seen it looks like a steep backward for the tablet ui. What they have now is really good. You saying stock 4.1 didn't have a timer to stopwatch? It really goes to show how different the skins are than stock android, I though those were part of android but appears they are just something htc has added.
WiiRocks66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 WiiRocks66
Member since 2007 • 3488 Posts

From what I've seen it looks like a steep backward for the tablet ui. What they have now is really good. You saying stock 4.1 didn't have a timer to stopwatch? It really goes to show how different the skins are than stock android, I though those were part of android but appears they are just something htc has added. imprezawrx500

No, stock 4.1 didn't have timer and stopwatch. However, it's been in AOSP for a while now. So the function has been there, it just wasn't added until now. I'm not sure why.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#5 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

[QUOTE="imprezawrx500"]From what I've seen it looks like a steep backward for the tablet ui. What they have now is really good. You saying stock 4.1 didn't have a timer to stopwatch? It really goes to show how different the skins are than stock android, I though those were part of android but appears they are just something htc has added. WiiRocks66

No, stock 4.1 didn't have timer and stopwatch. However, it's been in AOSP for a while now. So the function has been there, it just wasn't added until now. I'm not sure why.

There are lots of apps for it anyways.

rgsniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 rgsniper1
Member since 2003 • 9398 Posts

I'm sure there are a lot of differences under the hood, but I honestly don't see/use them if they are there. I will agree the lock screen is far more ugly :(

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
I hate it, the clock is bullcrap, and the alarm application setup is stupid now.
Pittfan666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#8 Pittfan666
Member since 2003 • 8638 Posts
Not a fan of the clock text.