Thinking of an iPod touch 4G.what are they like?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

So I need to get something that can use msn and skype etc. better than my current phone, which is ancient. I would love to have the money to get an iPhone of course but sadly I don't and iPads are also too expensive and don't really interest me. So I fell upon the decision to get an iPod touch. Which to me seems like an iphone without the phone as everyone else calls it.

My girlfriend lives in Korea and I only get to see her once in a while so we stay in touch through msn and skype cos sms messages and phone calls are too expensive. So that's why i need the iPod so I can use msn/skype when in college. Also I needed to upgrade my mp3 player for quite a while now. So anyone got one that can tell me what it's like? :)

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#2 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
I've been using iPod Touches for years and love them - I currently have a fourth gen 64GB one and it's great. Just keep in mind it'll only be good for msn and skype if you're near a wi-fi connection - which I suppose these days is pretty much everywhere. I find it's a great pairing with a pay as you go dumb phone, as you get most of the benefits of an iPhone without paying out the ass every month.
ryguy64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ryguy64
Member since 2005 • 77 Posts

I have one, and it's not bad. Although, if you want video chat, I would recommend using facetime is she has an ipod too. I use it so my parents can see my daughter, and it works very well.

gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 gmaster456
Member since 2008 • 7569 Posts
I've had one for 3 years and its been pretty solid. Still chugging along. After using several 4g's, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Just make sure you don't make the mistake of buying the 8gb. I bought an 8gb because I thought I would never fill it up because I didn't have many songs in my collection, then, I started downloading apps, tv shows, buying music etc and it filled up pretty fast. With 8gb, you'll be able to hold 2 movies, 400-600 songs and a few pages of apps before you run out of space, which sounds like a lot, and it did to me at the time, but really its not. for the extra $50-100 (depending on where you buy it) for the 32gb, its pretty reasonable seeing as how you get 4x the storage. You could even get an apple refurb which is essentially a new device.
tjoeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 tjoeb123
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts
I have a 64GB iPod Touch 4 (yes, I like to call it that since it came out at the same time as iPhone 4), and it's awesome. Video chat/calling? Use FaceTime. Texting? Use iMessage.
gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 gmaster456
Member since 2008 • 7569 Posts

I have a 64GB iPod Touch 4 (yes, I like to call it that since it came out at the same time as iPhone 4), and it's awesome. Video chat/calling? Use FaceTime. Texting? Use iMessage.tjoeb123
I've found text free to be far superior. You get your own phone number (in your area code too), voice chat, fb chat, and I believe they recently added video calling. Its free, you just have to deal with a few adds. If you don't like them, its just $6 to remove them. With imessage and facetime, your basically stuck to just talking to people with iOS devices.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#7 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Skype works great on the iPod Touch too - a little trickier to set up than Facetime, but I find the video performance is about on par and it's kind of needed if you're talking to people who're using other phones or computers.
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

That's great, im really looking forward to getting it now :) also have any of you guys seen the "C apple peels"? which essentially turn your ipod into an iphone using your existing phone network?

victordaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 victordaily
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

So I need to get something that can use msn and skype etc. better than my current phone, which is ancient. I would love to have the money to get an iPhone of course but sadly I don't and iPads are also too expensive and don't really interest me. So I fell upon the decision to get an iPod touch. Which to me seems like an iphone without the phone as everyone else calls it.

My girlfriend lives in Korea and I only get to see her once in a while so we stay in touch through msn and skype cos sms messages and phone calls are too expensive. So that's why i need the iPod so I can use msn/skype when in college. Also I needed to upgrade my mp3 player for quite a while now. So anyone got one that can tell me what it's like? :)

seanmcloughlin
You won't regret buying one. I know I haven't. Only thing I don't like about it is that battery runs out pretty quickly when you run apps or games. Other than that it's amazing.
kianboon83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kianboon83
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

seanmcloughlin
Hi, iPod Touch seems a very good choice if you cant afford to get a smartphone. 1. You are able to send messages through iMessage which comes with iPod Touch. 2. Secondly, you are able to install Msn/Skype through the Apps store. 3. You are able to make free voice calls through the some of the free apps like Viber, again found in the Apps store. 4. iPod touch is also a great way to act as a MP3 player and downloading songs through iTune to the phone is a breeze. You can learn more of the features here --> http://www.apple.com/ Hope it helps. Chris.
PilgrimWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PilgrimWind
Member since 2007 • 432 Posts

While an iPod Touch is great and a perfect pair for an old/not-so-smartphone, if your main idea is to communicate, then you will be better off trying to get an iPhone 4.

It's been pointed out before, but as obvious as it may seem, every app that uses internet needs to be connected to a Wi-Fi network.

While you can find Wi-Fi networks easily (in first world countries at least, certainly not in mine...), they are not always the best and usually you have to pay to use them anyway (or at least that's what I experienced in my last trip to the USA).

So my advice? An iPhone 4S is expensive, so you could settle with an iPhone 4 if you manage to save, or even a 3GS which should be cheap where you live by now. There are a couple of differences between the iPhone 4 and iPod Touch 4G besides the obvious that the iPhone is well, a phone: the iPhone has more RAM, better camera resolution... You may not need the camera resolution, but if you are planning in using many social apps to communicate with your girlfriend or anyone, having the RAM for background apps could be handy.

Other than that, the iPod Touch is great, it really is. I just don't think it will suit your needs.

The_Joker1721

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 The_Joker1721
Member since 2012 • 304 Posts
I've had one for 3 years and its been pretty solid. Still chugging along. After using several 4g's, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Just make sure you don't make the mistake of buying the 8gb. I bought an 8gb because I thought I would never fill it up because I didn't have many songs in my collection, then, I started downloading apps, tv shows, buying music etc and it filled up pretty fast. With 8gb, you'll be able to hold 2 movies, 400-600 songs and a few pages of apps before you run out of space, which sounds like a lot, and it did to me at the time, but really its not. for the extra $50-100 (depending on where you buy it) for the 32gb, its pretty reasonable seeing as how you get 4x the storage. You could even get an apple refurb which is essentially a new device.gmaster456
Yeah pretty much this. I have had an 8 GB 4G and its pretty sweet but my goodness when you get into it like me it hits you pretty hard that you just don't have enough space. I would highly recommend it.
tjoeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 tjoeb123
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

While an iPod Touch is great and a perfect pair for an old/not-so-smartphone, if your main idea is to communicate, then you will be better off trying to get an iPhone 4.

It's been pointed out before, but as obvious as it may seem, every app that uses internet needs to be connected to a Wi-Fi network.

While you can find Wi-Fi networks easily (in first world countries at least, certainly not in mine...), they are not always the best and usually you have to pay to use them anyway (or at least that's what I experienced in my last trip to the USA).

So my advice? An iPhone 4S is expensive, so you could settle with an iPhone 4 if you manage to save, or even a 3GS which should be cheap where you live by now. There are a couple of differences between the iPhone 4 and iPod Touch 4G besides the obvious that the iPhone is well, a phone: the iPhone has more RAM, better camera resolution... You may not need the camera resolution, but if you are planning in using many social apps to communicate with your girlfriend or anyone, having the RAM for background apps could be handy.

Other than that, the iPod Touch is great, it really is. I just don't think it will suit your needs.

PilgrimWind
He already said he doesn't have the money (carrier costs included, not just the phone itself) for an iPhone.
PilgrimWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PilgrimWind
Member since 2007 • 432 Posts

[QUOTE="PilgrimWind"]

tjoeb123

He already said he doesn't have the money (carrier costs included, not just the phone itself) for an iPhone.

Which is why I talked about the implicit price comparisons between the 4S, 4, and 3GS. If he has enough money for an iPod Touch 4G then he should have enough money for a 3GS.

Assuming he lives in the USA anyways.

Laazzara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Laazzara
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Meh.... They're alright. Internet is decent when connected. The MSN app and skype apps are really not great. Might as well get an android.
GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

The best MSN app is IM + there is a free and paid version. Both do the same thing I think. ANd there is an official MS MSN app but its not that great and it was last updated over a year ago. And yeah the 4th gen ipod touch is a great little device, kinda wish apple would have upgraded it last year though.