Thinking about getting an iPhone 5 when it comes out

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MaddenBowler10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 1

#1 MaddenBowler10
Member since 2005 • 8999 Posts

I'm with Verizon and I've had my Droid X for the past two years. I'm already eligible for an upgrade but I think I want to wait for the iPhone5 to come out. Main reasons I want one: Excellent mp3 integration and player, best app store, reliability, a little smaller and more pocket friendly than my Droid X, better memory, all my friends have an iPhone.

My main concerns about getting one: not quite as personable as Android OS, accessories are very expensive, my last two Apple products both broke pretty easily, it seems like I see A LOT of people with broken/shattered screens on their iPhones and I've almost hammered my Droid X to death and haven't had a scratch even without a screen protector. I hear that they are going with an even THINNER screen with this new iPhone. Also wonder if they will mess up the first time around with the iPhone 5 and then release a better version shortly after.

Anyway, what do you guys think? Anything else that you can tell me about the iPhone5? Should I stick to looking for a new Android or make the switch? My Droid X is absolutely a horrible phone. It is very slow after these few years, apps suck, touch screen is unresponsive more often than not, camera is miserable...

awptical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2 awptical
Member since 2003 • 844 Posts

Why are you asking? Seems like you've already made up your mind. If you hated Android so much it wouldnt do you much good to get another. Just get the iPhone, its what you want.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#3 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
It's probably in production right now, if the supply chain is to be believed. We may end up getting it fairly soon (within a couple months). Probably worth the wait for Apple's shiniest new gadget.
MaddenBowler10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MaddenBowler10
It's probably in production right now, if the supply chain is to be believed. We may end up getting it fairly soon (within a couple months). Probably worth the wait for Apple's shiniest new gadget.musicalmac
I heard it just recently went in to production and that it'll be out between Sept and October.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#5 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
[QUOTE="musicalmac"]It's probably in production right now, if the supply chain is to be believed. We may end up getting it fairly soon (within a couple months). Probably worth the wait for Apple's shiniest new gadget.MaddenBowler10
I heard it just recently went in to production and that it'll be out between Sept and October.

Bingo. I'd expect it to be pretty killer. I'm most interested in battery life. Apple won't put an LTE antenna in their phone unless the battery would reasonably be able to support it.
deleteduser198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 deleteduser198
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Welcome to the fam. Now you can play multiplayer games with all your friends who own an iPhone. Don't worry about the screen. The screens get stronger with each new release. Good example is the iPad vs iPad 2 screen durability test on youtube. 3G iPhone screens were notorious for breaking easily. I've dropped my 4S on hard pavement four times in its life with me, not even one hairline scratch (though it did dent the corner a bit as I keep my iDevices naked)
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 mystic_knight
Member since 2003 • 13801 Posts
I've dropped my 4S on hard pavement four times in its life with me, not even one hairline scratch (though it did dent the corner a bit as I keep my iDevices naked)Kid-Atari
Just don't put it in your pocket with the keys, my friends 4s is scratched to death lol. Ihave to say go for the iPhone 5, try it out, it may be your thing, It may not be. I couldn't get myself liking it, but i can not say its a bad phone as it isn't. Definitely a good phone you just have to like the OS and screen size. Biased opinion coming, The app store makes up for the OS's shortcomings visually, you don't gt the flashiness of android but you do get a wide array of apps and an ecosystem which is unrivalled.
MaddenBowler10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MaddenBowler10
Thanks for the responses. I am pretty settled with getting the 5 at this point then. My bad experience with Android has damaged their reputation enough for me to go with Apple.
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
I really comes down to what you want. I could not live with apples lack of options or customization and I hate the apps littering all your home screens. But if you want a simple interface and a compact phone then it is great. You may want to have a play with one first as you will have to give up widgets if you use those and you have to love using itunes for everything (I can't stand software for putting stuff on portable devices)
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#10 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

The droid X is not representative of what android has become now, most of the problems you have with it you wont have with a latest android phone.

MaddenBowler10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MaddenBowler10

The droid X is not representative of what android has become now, most of the problems you have with it you wont have with a latest android phone.

Gambler_3
That's something I've considered. I will have to take a look at both the iPhone and best Android phones available. Gingerbread is not the latest Android update available so I figure it's gotta be better by now.
mattEhhq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mattEhhq
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
You say the additional extra's are more expensive now? Wait until they release the 5.. The connector on the bottom of the phone has supposedly changed to a different fitting - This making all the current gear irrelevant to it, meaning you'll have to buy new dockings etc. Stupid move by apple if you ask me! I have a 4s, and am more than happy with it! Is an iPhone 5 really worth the expense it's going to be? Probably not.. iOS 6 will be compatible with the 4S also.
MaddenBowler10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MaddenBowler10
You say the additional extra's are more expensive now? Wait until they release the 5.. The connector on the bottom of the phone has supposedly changed to a different fitting - This making all the current gear irrelevant to it, meaning you'll have to buy new dockings etc. Stupid move by apple if you ask me! I have a 4s, and am more than happy with it! Is an iPhone 5 really worth the expense it's going to be? Probably not.. iOS 6 will be compatible with the 4S also.mattEhhq
Well considering that I have zero current Apple gear, I'd have to buy new connectors and cases and all that no matter what.
awptical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 awptical
[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

MaddenBowler10
That's something I've considered. I will have to take a look at both the iPhone and best Android phones available. Gingerbread is not the latest Android update available so I figure it's gotta be better by now.

Many milestones since then. Take a close look at the Galaxy S III, HTC One X, Galaxy Nexus and whatever comes out between now and the iPhone 5(probably gonna be called the new "iPhone".) Whichever you choose Android or the new iPhone, I'm sure neither will disappoint. But I'd seriously wait for the new iPhone if you go the Apple route because it's likely to be significantly better than the 4S and is not far off.
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 mystic_knight
Member since 2003 • 13801 Posts
[QUOTE="MaddenBowler10"][QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

awptical

Many milestones since then. Take a close look at the Galaxy S III, HTC One X, Galaxy Nexus and whatever comes out between now and the iPhone 5(probably gonna be called the new "iPhone".) Whichever you choose Android or the new iPhone, I'm sure neither will disappoint. But I'd seriously wait for the new iPhone if you go the Apple route because it's likely to be significantly better than the 4S and is not far off.

Very wise words from this man. IF you go the apple route -iPhone 5 If you go the android root, the One X/GS3/ GNex is the route to go, id even say the Huawei ascend d quad too when it comes out.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#16 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

Eh if you are willing to wait then the next nexus phone is going to be the thing to wait for. G nexus is no longer the best hardware wise and galaxy S3/one X wont be supported for 2 years. If you really cant wait then I suggest galaxy S3, it's already sold 10 million you can be assured of a big accessory market considering the US has the same physical model this time around. You will also get the best app support with a galaxy S or nexus device.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

I'm still wondering what the hardware of the iPhone 5 will be.

Some of the newer Android and Windows Phone 8 devices will be using Qualcomm's Snapdragon S4 Pro which will launch in the coming months.

Engadget took benchmarks of a mobile developer platform running S4 Pro and the results are very good.

Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro MDP benchmarks blow away the competition

S4 Pro is considerably more powerful than even the best android phone available. Running a quad core 28nm CPU the battery will also be very good in these devices.

MaddenBowler10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MaddenBowler10

Some of the newer Android and Windows Phone 8 devices will be using Qualcomm's Snapdragon S4 Pro which will launch in the coming months.

Engadget took benchmarks of a mobile developer platform running S4 Pro and the results are very good.

Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro MDP benchmarks blow away the competition

S4 Pro is considerably more powerful than even the best android phone available. Running a quad core 28nm CPU the battery will also be very good in these devices.

NVIDIATI
I've read articles saying it won't be available to consumers for a while..
NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 NVIDIATI

[QUOTE="NVIDIATI"]

MaddenBowler10

Actually, S4 Pro is likely to launch in phones by September, around the same time as the iPhone 5 launch.

awptical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 awptical

[QUOTE="MaddenBowler10"][QUOTE="NVIDIATI"]

NVIDIATI

Actually, S4 Pro is likely to launch in phones by September, around the same time as the iPhone 5 launch.

Hmm, S4 Pro with the next Nexus perhaps? Last Nexus was sorta a let down with its weaksauce GPU, I'd buy the next one off contract if it used the S4 or something better.
NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 NVIDIATI

^ The Mali-T604 (made by ARM) should outperform the Adreno 320 in the S4 Pro, and that's also set for launch around the same time as the S4 Pro.