The newer phones " too BIG" ?

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Solid_Tango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Solid_Tango
Member since 2009 • 8609 Posts

Anyone else feel the same way about the newer phones? 4´6 screens are big too big IMHO, why cant they release a two version of the same phone: the big one, and a smaller one (lets say 4 or 4`2 inches).

Who is with me on this one?

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts

I like them. I have big hands so they fit nicely, and a bigger screen is always a good thing for your eyes. Going above 4.6 inches is getting too big though. I think 4-4.5 inches is a good size. I agree that they should make 2 sizes.

flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
The Xperia X10 had a large and a mini version. I don't know how that panned out though.
verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 verbtex  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9196 Posts

I have a Galaxy Nexus and the 4.65 inch screne is a good size, but any bigger would probably be a bad thing for me.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 mystic_knight
Member since 2003 • 13801 Posts
Bigger = Better, i so want a galaxy note style phone with a quad core.
Loegi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Loegi
Member since 2009 • 1692 Posts
I can see your motivation, but I don't think a lot of people would want to buy a smaller phone. And I wouldn't either, bigger is better in my opinion.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#7 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

I am completely with you, I even find the galaxy S2 a bit bigger for my smallish hands. I would love to have an S2 the same size as the original galaxy S which is about perfect for my hands. I DONT CARE about thickness so it doesnt matter to me if a smaller phone would not be able to be super duper slim.

Sony Ericsson is making small and big versions of their phones with the only major difference being screen size, they currently have 3 different versions of their top phone 4.2", 3.7" and 3.3". Thats just perfect unfortunately their phones arent.

Samsung doesnt do that and they are my favourite manufacturer. The sucess of the galaxy S2 is so immense there is no way they are going to be releasing a premium 4" phone this year, it's only going to get bigger. :(

I hope sony ericsson makes better phones this year. I have my eyes on this one, 4" 16:9 is just perfect for me.

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_lt22i_nypon-4436.php

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
My screen is 4.3" and I love it.
demonic_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#9 demonic_85
Member since 2009 • 1395 Posts

I have a 3.2" screen, wish it was 4.3". :cry:

DoomZaW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 DoomZaW
Member since 2007 • 6475 Posts

Once you've first had 4,3" or above, you will never be wanting anything smaller :cool:

wait... that came out wrong :?

Xeogua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Xeogua
Member since 2010 • 1542 Posts

My Razr is perfect for me, and I'm sure I could adjust to the Galaxy Note if I was to get one, but I think that that phone is pushing it in terms of screen size.

hozznad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 hozznad
Member since 2012 • 54 Posts

I agree. The newer Samsung phones are freakin' behemoths!

But hey, I could be behind the times. I'm probably one of the only people my age without a smartphone. Touchscreen keyboards frustrate the hell out of me though.

My current phone is 3.2in and I like it like that. When I do get an Android, I'd like to get one that isn't a skinny brick in my pocket.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#13 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
My Samsung Galaxy S II is pushing the limits on screen size for me. It's a bit uncomfortable as a phone, but oh man, I do love the screen.
bigbeebis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 bigbeebis
Member since 2007 • 705 Posts
If they were any smaller you'd have problems with playing modern games. I think even my 5''3 inch screen is too small for Dead Space or maybe my fingers are too large.
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JustPlainLucas
If they were any smaller you'd have problems with playing modern games. I think even my 5''3 inch screen is too small for Dead Space or maybe my fingers are too large.bigbeebis
What phone are you using?
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mystic_knight
Member since 2003 • 13801 Posts
[QUOTE="bigbeebis"]If they were any smaller you'd have problems with playing modern games. I think even my 5''3 inch screen is too small for Dead Space or maybe my fingers are too large.JustPlainLucas

i gather its the galaxy note.
ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
God yes. That's why I have the HTC Aria. So perfect, small, and functional. :)
awptical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 awptical
Member since 2003 • 844 Posts

I dont think theyre too big at all. I have the galaxy nexus which is 4.65" and I still fjnd myself wanting just a bit more. Phones today arent just phones anymore. Theyre mobile computers that connect us to all aspects of our life. I spend more time surfing, txting, gaming, social webbing more on my phone than I do on my pc. Talking on the phone is just a small part on what we do on highend smartphones. I dont want to be stuck with puny 3.5" iPhone screen where playing games and surfing is such a drag. Try a 4.5 screen phone and you"ll never go back. Surfing isnt a hastle like it is on small screens. Its actually enjoyable.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JustPlainLucas
[QUOTE="mystic_knight"] i gather its the galaxy note.

Geez, that's huge. That's bordering tablet size.
bigbeebis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bigbeebis

[QUOTE="JustPlainLucas"][QUOTE="bigbeebis"]If they were any smaller you'd have problems with playing modern games. I think even my 5''3 inch screen is too small for Dead Space or maybe my fingers are too large.mystic_knight

i gather its the galaxy note.

Bullseye

bigbeebis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 bigbeebis

Geez, that's huge. That's bordering tablet size.JustPlainLucas
Yeah, I was like woah when I first got it but now it's cool. Any other phone seems so small now, though

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

[QUOTE="JustPlainLucas"][QUOTE="bigbeebis"]If they were any smaller you'd have problems with playing modern games. I think even my 5''3 inch screen is too small for Dead Space or maybe my fingers are too large.mystic_knight

i gather its the galaxy note. *pic of bigass phone*

How do you carry that thing around? Do you always need to have a purse with you?

bigbeebis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 bigbeebis

[QUOTE="mystic_knight"][QUOTE="JustPlainLucas"]What phone are you using?Oleg_Huzwog

i gather its the galaxy note. *pic of bigass phone*

How do you carry that thing around? Do you always need to have a purse with you?

I carry it in my coat pocket. When indoors I tend to carry it in my hands, because it's my precious. Everybody in my university is jelous.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts

[QUOTE="Oleg_Huzwog"]

[QUOTE="mystic_knight"] i gather its the galaxy note. *pic of bigass phone*bigbeebis

I carry it in my coat pocket. When indoors I tend to carry it in my hands, because it's my precious. Everybody in my university is jelous.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person in my university with an Android phone. Hardly anyone even knows what Android is around here. It;'s all about iPhone/BB in Canada.

colibriosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 colibriosis
Member since 2010 • 598 Posts

Anyone else feel the same way about the newer phones? 4´6 screens are big too big IMHO, why cant they release a two version of the same phone: the big one, and a smaller one (lets say 4 or 4`2 inches).

Who is with me on this one?

Solid_Tango
Umm yeah, about a week ago I had it with these touchscreen phones (they're way to big and unnecessary), threw it away, I literally have no idea where it is, and went back to my old nokia regular button phone. Facebook and twitter has in a way ruined my life because I can't get off it and there's basically nothing on there to do....it's just occasionally fun, but mostly boring and senseless browsing and stalking. The fact that they brought these features to the phone, while having it on the PC, just really ruined people....IMO ....ugh I went way off topic didn't I...well TC I'd say you'd rather go for the smaller ones instead. There are big phones (smart and dumb) and there are very small ones (again smart and dumb).
jonathant5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jonathant5
Member since 2010 • 873 Posts
I would say a 4.6" is the limit for me. Anything bigger and it may start getting uncomfortable carrying in the pocket. Right now I am quite happy with my 4" Atrix although I am looking forward to getting something else, hopefully the Galaxy Nexus or the Razr. But phones like the Note are ridiculous, how the hell am I supposed to carry it around/fit it in my pocket? At the end of the day I use my smartphone as a phone (call and text), with its other capabilities as secondary (but still very important) functions.
leeveeu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#27 leeveeu
Member since 2003 • 3405 Posts
Anything bigger than the Galaxy S II is too big for a phone.
flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts

Hardly anyone even knows what Android is around here. It;'s all about iPhone/BB in Canada.

UssjTrunks
I would have said the same maybe a year ago, but I see more people in Canada (or Toronto at least) with Androids now. Or maybe I just hang around too many techies who prefer to mod...
Hypereagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Hypereagle
Member since 2005 • 288 Posts
No, real men where cargo pants!
DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts
I have the atrix 2 with a 4.3" screen and I think that's a good middle point between screen size and one handed usability as long as they keep making phones phones at least that small nothing to worry about I don't see how anyone could want a touchscreen only phone with a tiny 3.5" screen once you go big you can't go back imo. My nextphone will defiantly have at least a 5" screen size.
SoraX64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#31 SoraX64
Member since 2008 • 29221 Posts
Stop ignoring every phone that isn't massive in size. For every phone above 4.3 inches that is released, a handful of smaller devices are released as well. You've got the HTC Evo Design 4g, the Droid 3/4, the HTC Droid Inc. 2, and so on. 4.3 has become pretty much the standard at this point, and that isn't even that large of a screen. The best specced phones have bigger screens because they run higher resolutions that require better internal components. There aren't even that many devices over 4.3 inches. In the past year we've seen the HTC EVO 3D, the HTC Rezound, Droid Razr, Atrix 2, the Motorola Photon, The Droid Bionic, the HTC Sensation.. the last goes on and on. All of them are 4.3 inches. The devices over 4.3 are the GNexus, the GNote, some variants of the GSII, and some LG phone, among other less notable phones. The point is, they still make smaller devices but they aren't as well specced. The big, powerful devices are the ones that sell, the ones that they can advertise the most, the ones that are most widely enjoyed and praised.
Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#32 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts

I like them. I have big hands so they fit nicely, and a bigger screen is always a good thing for your eyes. Going above 4.6 inches is getting too big though. I think 4-4.5 inches is a good size. I agree that they should make 2 sizes.

UssjTrunks
Yep, I saw the Sensation XL today and liked it. This is coming from an iPhone 4S owner.
unrealtron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 unrealtron
Member since 2010 • 3148 Posts
My 4.2 screen is perfect.
gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34 gmaster456
Member since 2008 • 7569 Posts

3.7 inches is my happy medium. For what I use a mobile device for, I don't need anything bigger. I don't game that much, mostly casual time killers. I'm also not that big of an app person. I have a lot, but I maybe only use 5-10 of them on a regular basis. I mostly use it for youtube, web, calendar and email.

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

I have a Galaxy Nexus and the 4.65 inch screne is a good size, but any bigger would probably be a bad thing for me.

verbtex

This is what I want unless something bigger and better comes out by April (my upgrade).

OP, I used to agree with you and when I chose between the Droid 2 and Droid X nearly two years ago, I went with the Droid 2 because it was smaller. I've regretted it ever since. Coming from someone with big hands, if I didn't have SwiftKey X - I would absolutely hate texting on my phone.

Matthew-first

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Matthew-first
Member since 2005 • 3318 Posts

Once you've first had 4,3" or above, you will never be wanting anything smaller :cool:

wait... that came out wrong :?

DoomZaW

HTC HD 7 No bigger no smaller... nothing else. ;) Have it for a year now...
Won't change it for another year. Until something really good comes out.

Adam_the_Nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Adam_the_Nerd
Member since 2006 • 4403 Posts
I think the Galaxy S II is the perfect size. the S II LTE version is pushing it and the Nexus is just huge.
semianonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 semianonymous
Member since 2007 • 6685 Posts

just made the jump from the 4 inch G2X to the 4.5 GS2

4 inches is now too small, I tried using it again and ugh

SPBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SPBoss
Member since 2009 • 3746 Posts
I have a Galaxy S2 and it seems huge.. until you hold it. If the phones thin you generally dont notice if its big or not
red12355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 red12355
Member since 2007 • 1251 Posts
I don't think there's really a "too big" limit for anybody. Like if you jump from 3.5" to 4.3" or something you might think it's too big at first but you get used to it and it's nbd.
tmd2fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 tmd2fast
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Well, I own a Galaxy s2 and before I bought it yes, it seemed quite big. But after I actually got it it doesn't seem very bigger than others. However, I agree the newer phones tend to turn way too big. (i.e. Galaxy Note)
lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts

I'm loving my Galaxy Note despite having smaller hands. I prefer bigger screens when it comes to smartphones (Note is my first smartphone) because i need a big screen for touch controls, clearer text and videos. The size of the Note is perfect for me. Any bigger and it would be too big. It also fits in all of my pants/shorts' pockets even though it will make it bulge. I was having difficulty with creating a message on my dad's Aria since i'm still not used to touch only controls and i use both thumbs in texting on my old Nokia XpressMusic.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

My ZTE Blade is 3.5". I'm now finding it a bit small, but i certainly would not want more than 4.3". I think 3.7" - 4" is a happy medium.

jonathant5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 jonathant5
Member since 2010 • 873 Posts
The issue is, would a 5" phone fit in the pocket? At the end of they day a huge screen is great, but it defeats the purpose of being a phone if it does not fit in the pocket (at least for me). I would say that 4.3" is the sweet spot, with 4.65" being the max before the gains in size start becoming or bringing in negative things (like cant hold w/ 1 hand, does not fit in pocket, poor battery life, etc).
SoraX64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SoraX64
The issue is, would a 5" phone fit in the pocket? At the end of they day a huge screen is great, but it defeats the purpose of being a phone if it does not fit in the pocket (at least for me). I would say that 4.3" is the sweet spot, with 4.65" being the max before the gains in size start becoming or bringing in negative things (like cant hold w/ 1 hand, does not fit in pocket, poor battery life, etc). jonathant5
Depends on your pockets. If you wear skinny jeans (stop dressing like that) then you aren't going to fit a big phone into your pocket. I wear normal jeans and cargo pants and I can fit my Kindle Touch, which is 6.8" x 4.7" x 0.40", into my pockets with ease.
semianonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 semianonymous
Member since 2007 • 6685 Posts

The issue is, would a 5" phone fit in the pocket? At the end of they day a huge screen is great, but it defeats the purpose of being a phone if it does not fit in the pocket (at least for me). I would say that 4.3" is the sweet spot, with 4.65" being the max before the gains in size start becoming or bringing in negative things (like cant hold w/ 1 hand, does not fit in pocket, poor battery life, etc). jonathant5

My galaxy tab 7 fits snugly in my back pocket, and just barely squeezes into the front. I suspect a 5inch phone would be no problem

WiiRocks66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 WiiRocks66
Member since 2007 • 3488 Posts

I disagree. Below 4.3 is too small. Heck, even 4.3 feels small after getting my Galaxy Nexus.

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts
My Galaxy Note fits in every pocket and i'm small compared to your average Westerner since i'm Asian.
gigatrainer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 gigatrainer
Member since 2006 • 2029 Posts
Love my galaxy note, dont think I can go any smaller now.
SoraX64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SoraX64

I disagree. Below 4.3 is too small. Heck, even 4.3 feels small after getting my Galaxy Nexus.

WiiRocks66
Too bad with the software buttons the actual screen space that can be used is closer to 4.3". :P I noticed that when comparing to my friend's GNex with my Evo 3D. Sure, they go away when necessary but still.. They take up that extra space. I'd hate to think of the phone if it were only 4.3" to begin with.