The iPhone 5, all the important details

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

deleteduser198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deleteduser198
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

The iPhone 5 has arrived, and it sure looks nice.

Main highlights:

- 4 inch screen. Nice to see that they extended the display without compromising how comfortable the iPhone was to hold and use with one hand. Definitely the right move here. Virtual buttons and virtual sticks will definitely be better now that they're off to the sides even more this way.

- Updates to all wireless features, even speedier WiFi. HSPA+, DC-HSDPA and LTE support. WiFi protocol has also been updated & now features 2.4ghz & 5ghz on 802.11n.

- A6 Chip. 2X the CPU performance and a whopping 2X the graphical power of the 4S. Just wow. The 4S graphic capabilities were no slouch. The A6 chip ensures the iPhone's dominance and further cements it in the gaming industry.

- Battery will allow for 8 hours of continuous talk time, 10 hours of video, 40 hours of music and an impressive 225 hours of standby before requiring a charge.

- The new camera features an 8 megapixel sensor & f/2.4 aperture. Apple also included a dynamic low-light mode. The camera is also 40% faster at photo capture than the 4S.

- New lightning connector. The iPhone 5 will not utilize the 30-pin connector all Apple handheld devices have used since 2003. Instead the new phone will feature a new, smaller "lightning" connector. It's reversible, so no more fumbling in the dark to get your device plugged in. You can plug it in using any orientation. It's also 80% smaller than the original dock connector.

- 20% thinner, 20% lighter. How they managed to do this while doubling the raw processing power and graphic ability is pretty amazing. An iPhone 5 inserted in an average case would equal a naked iPhone 4S. They maximized the thickness reduction by replacing the old dock connector with the lightning port.

- With a contract, the iPhone 5 will cost $199 for a 16GB device, $299 for 32GB and $399 for 64GB. iPhone 5 starting at $199? Who said Apple was overpriced?

BeErBOnG29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 BeErBOnG29
Member since 2005 • 4387 Posts
I like Apple products as much as the next person, but I don't know what the amazement is. Half of the upgrades should have been in the 4S. The other half are marginal at best, with the biggest being a minor increase in screen size. Lightning connector? How is this even a highlight. It renders all of our old peripherals obsolete without purchasing a connector. Since they made the change, they should have made it easier on EVERYONE and went mini-USB. But nah, we must really need to have proprietary parts. All in all, a good looking phone, but a very minor upgrade unless you truly feel the need to upgrade your screen by .5".
deleteduser198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deleteduser198
[QUOTE="BeErBOnG29"]I like Apple products as much as the next person, but I don't know what the amazement is. Half of the upgrades should have been in the 4S. The other half are marginal at best, with the biggest being a minor increase in screen size. Lightning connector? How is this even a highlight. It renders all of our old peripherals obsolete without purchasing a connector. Since they made the change, they should have made it easier on EVERYONE and went mini-USB. But nah, we must really need to have proprietary parts. All in all, a good looking phone, but a very minor upgrade unless you truly feel the need to upgrade your screen by .5".

How is going from an A5 chip to an A6 a minor upgrade? That's twice the CPU speed and twice the graphic horsepower of the 4S. What did you want? A quadruple increase? That's not possible. Pair that with the bigger screen size, the surprising reduction in thickness and weight, and the new glass technology, it's quite a substantial upgrade. Definitely nothing "minor"
NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

A6 Chip. 2X the CPU performance and a whopping 2X the graphical power of the 4S. Just wow. The 4S graphic capabilities were no slouch. The A6 chip ensures the iPhone's dominance and further cements it in the gaming industry.

Kid-Atari

Still waiting on specs for what's inside and true benchmarks on perforamnce.

The only set-back could be a PowerVR SGX 5xx series GPU (very likely) which lacks the API support for OpenGL ES 3.0, OpenCL 1.1 and DirectX 11 (9_3).

Apple's 2013 iPad will likely use the SGX 6xx series which will have support for those APIs.

BeErBOnG29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BeErBOnG29
Increasing the CPU speed and graphical capabilities is an obvious and linear path as a phone "upgrade." That is to be expected. The reduction in thickness is almost unnoticeable unless the 4S and the 5 are side by side. This was reported by many news sites. The weight, you have somewhat a point, but I enjoyed the solid feel of the 4S (and I'm sure I'm not alone). I'm assuming the weight difference is simply achieved by replacing the glass back with an aluminum one. Like I said, the only thing "substantial" that I see about the 5 is the increase in screen size. And I'm (very) freely using the word substantial on that one. If the 5 achieved higher PPI along with the extra real estate, I would be more inclined to use your diction. The pixel density hasn't changed for two years since the 4. LTE? Welcome to a year ago. Nice of you to catch up. Where's the NFC? Where's the high capacity battery (the new Motorola Droid achieves ~21 hours of talk time)? Where's the innovation we've come to expect from Apple? Look, I own an iPhone 4S and don't get me wrong, I love the product. But on the same token, I'm not a blind follower and heralds Apple's catch-up as the next messiah.
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 mystic_knight
Member since 2003 • 13801 Posts
Lightning connectoris ridiculous and all the tech sites think so too, they should have gone micro USB, it would have been the smarter option, but apple wanna play almighty and design their own ridiculous parts which do nothing but fragment companies even further. On top of the stupidly misleading name of 'lightning' it runs on a standard usb 2.0, so there is nothing lightning about it. The a6 chip is nice and its most likely on par with the snapdragon s4 found in the HTC One XL and the GS3 LTE. (if rumors of a15 architecture of true, but as nvidiati said we have no evidence yet.) Wireless features are all catch up to most android handsets, so congrats on finally having a phone that meets current standards. Look, its a good phone but its not ground moving or even spectacular its just as good as whats available now. you have to hold on to this device for a year. We already know the new benchmark for phone standards will hit shelves in a few months so your phone will be fine until possibly january then it will lag behind the rest. They are not the company who wowed you 2 years ago with the iphone 4 or the ipad. They are struggling to make a phone ahead of the rest. I cant blame them the competition is very intense and the industry is over saturated. Any way hope you guys will enjoy it. It definitely is a good phone.
NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NVIDIATI

The a6 chip is nice and its most likely on par with the snapdragon s4 found in the HTC One XL and the GS3 LTE. (if rumors of a15 architecture of true, but as nvidiati said we have no evidence yet.) mystic_knight
If it does use dual core Cortex A15 CPU with a PowerVR SGX 5xx GPU, the A6 will certainly be better than the Snapdragon S4.

Even if it uses Cortex A9, I'm sure the SoC would still outperform the Snapdragon S4.

my_name_is_ron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 my_name_is_ron
Member since 2005 • 5549 Posts
[QUOTE="Kid-Atari"][QUOTE="BeErBOnG29"]I like Apple products as much as the next person, but I don't know what the amazement is. Half of the upgrades should have been in the 4S. The other half are marginal at best, with the biggest being a minor increase in screen size. Lightning connector? How is this even a highlight. It renders all of our old peripherals obsolete without purchasing a connector. Since they made the change, they should have made it easier on EVERYONE and went mini-USB. But nah, we must really need to have proprietary parts. All in all, a good looking phone, but a very minor upgrade unless you truly feel the need to upgrade your screen by .5".

How is going from an A5 chip to an A6 a minor upgrade? That's twice the CPU speed and twice the graphic horsepower of the 4S. What did you want? A quadruple increase? That's not possible. Pair that with the bigger screen size, the surprising reduction in thickness and weight, and the new glass technology, it's quite a substantial upgrade. Definitely nothing "minor"

I don't thInk a very large proportion of the iPhone owning public will care or even understand what type of processor is in the phone. If you're a 4s owner there's no point in getting the 5. If you've got an earlier iPhone then it may be worth upgrading. I think the announcement was very underwhelming and the new charger is possibly the most cynical, money grabbing idea I've ever seen. Steve jobs must be turning in his grave
deleteduser198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deleteduser198
[QUOTE="my_name_is_ron"][QUOTE="Kid-Atari"][QUOTE="BeErBOnG29"]I like Apple products as much as the next person, but I don't know what the amazement is. Half of the upgrades should have been in the 4S. The other half are marginal at best, with the biggest being a minor increase in screen size. Lightning connector? How is this even a highlight. It renders all of our old peripherals obsolete without purchasing a connector. Since they made the change, they should have made it easier on EVERYONE and went mini-USB. But nah, we must really need to have proprietary parts. All in all, a good looking phone, but a very minor upgrade unless you truly feel the need to upgrade your screen by .5".

I don't thInk a very large proportion of the iPhone owning public will care or even understand what type of processor is in the phone. If you're a 4s owner there's no point in getting the 5. If you've got an earlier iPhone then it may be worth upgrading. I think the announcement was very underwhelming and the new charger is possibly the most cynical, money grabbing idea I've ever seen. Steve jobs must be turning in his grave

Of course there's a point in upgrading to the 5. Several of them, in fact. Double the speed, double the graphics, larger display, noticeably thinner and lighter, and obviously LTE since the 4S doesn't have that. More than enough reason to upgrade. Silly billy.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#10 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

A 4" screen is a pretty big upgrade from a 3.5" screen if you ask me. However I would have liked apple to change the position of the power button from the top to the right side as this is now quite a tall phone and having the power button at the top is not the most comfortable position. Anyways its not a huge problem since the phone is still not too big, on something like an HTC one X its a deal breaker to have the button on top.

I like that they got rid of the glass back finally although I am not a fan of a 2 tone back but cant give final verdict on the design until I dont see it myself. In any case its better than having glass.

The camera on such thin phones can only be improved that much, the S3 didnt really improve much on the S2 and so will be the case with the iphone 5. It's the software gimmicks that are getting the attention now.

This phone is really really thin and lightweight and thats what my problem is. They had so much room to give a monstrous battery, nobody would have complained if it had same weight and thickness as 4S. Sure people love it thin but wouldnt they love it more if the phone lasted 2 days of heavy usage? It's not like the 4S is not pleasingly thin. 2 days battery life with LTE would have delivered a knockout punch to android phones, motorola phones dont compare in sheer hardware quality and software support to apple so they are not really a comparable thing.

The biggest problem remains iOS6 but we knew about it for months now how it is going to be. Software is where apple has really stalled and people are bored of it. I mean the way they decided to use the extra screen space was to add another row of icons? Seriously?? How about having that weather widget on the top of the homescreen instead of in the notification bar? Seriously there are so many things you could do with more screen real estate and all they do is add a bunch of more icons.

If apple didnt go after android in court they could have copied alot more from android without being hypocritical and dare I say they could have created better OS because they already have the best ecosystem which is one of the hardest things to have and something you cant "buy". Having accused everyone else of copying them now apple is in a difficult position where they are out of ideas of what new they can implement that wouldnt be deemed as copying.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#11 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
It's impossible to post anything anymore.
deleteduser198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deleteduser198
It's impossible to post anything anymore. musicalmac
Seriously. Apple haters post more frequently in this forum now.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 musicalmac  Moderator
I think it's important to note that people who criticize the connector probably don't understand how little it's used for actual data transfer. I have never plugged my iPhone into my computer. It's really a very tiny, very efficient charching port.
deleteduser198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deleteduser198

A 4" screen is a pretty big upgrade from a 3.5" screen if you ask me. However I would have liked apple to change the position of the power button from the top to the right side as this is now quite a tall phone and having the power button at the top is not the most comfortable position. Anyways its not a huge problem since the phone is still not too big, on something like an HTC one X its a deal breaker to have the button on top.

I like that they got rid of the glass back finally although I am not a fan of a 2 tone back but cant give final verdict on the design until I dont see it myself. In any case its better than having glass.

The camera on such thin phones can only be improved that much, the S3 didnt really improve much on the S2 and so will be the case with the iphone 5. It's the software gimmicks that are getting the attention now.

This phone is really really thin and lightweight and thats what my problem is. They had so much room to give a monstrous battery, nobody would have complained if it had same weight and thickness as 4S. Sure people love it thin but wouldnt they love it more if the phone lasted 2 days of heavy usage? It's not like the 4S is not pleasingly thin. 2 days battery life with LTE would have delivered a knockout punch to android phones, motorola phones dont compare in sheer hardware quality and software support to apple so they are not really a comparable thing.

The biggest problem remains iOS6 but we knew about it for months now how it is going to be. Software is where apple has really stalled and people are bored of it. I mean the way they decided to use the extra screen space was to add another row of icons? Seriously?? How about having that weather widget on the top of the homescreen instead of in the notification bar? Seriously there are so many things you could do with more screen real estate and all they do is add a bunch of more icons.

If apple didnt go after android in court they could have copied alot more from android without being hypocritical and dare I say they could have created better OS because they already have the best ecosystem which is one of the hardest things to have and something you cant "buy". Having accused everyone else of copying them now apple is in a difficult position where they are out of ideas of what new they can implement that wouldnt be deemed as copying.

Gambler_3
There are a lot of people like me who appreciate what Apple is doing by making these devices aggressively thinner and lighter. Thinness helps with a lot of things, keeping the thing extremely pocketable even with a tank-like case, and the lighter these devices become, the more shock and vibration caused by drops are reduced, resulting in a more durable device. The battery did see improvements, as well. 1 hour extra for talk time, 2 hours extra for wifi browsing, and an incredible 25 hours extra for standby time reulting in a total of 225 hours of standby time. Pretty sizeable battery life increase if you factor in that the CPU and Graphics are running at TWICE the speed. Can't have it all, I guess. iOS 6 Is also recieving much welcomes features. Apples own Maps apps (farewell nerfed Google maps), and it is looking sexier than the previous demos shown months ago. Deep facebook integration into iOS is definitely useful for most. Can't wait to update my 4S to iOS6 in the coming weeks. Honestly, there's nothing to complain about if you're upgrading. You don't lose anything, but instead are gaining in every aspect.
deleteduser198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deleteduser198
Mods, does Gamblers post count as forum invasion? This article had no reference, relevance nor mention of Android here. The entire forum already knows his stance on Apple, that he owns an Android device, and generally is just here to spin a negative angle on every Apple related article.
BeErBOnG29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BeErBOnG29
Mods, does Gamblers post count as forum invasion? This article had no reference, relevance nor mention of Android here. The entire forum already knows his stance on Apple, that he owns an Android device, and generally is just here to spin a negative angle on every Apple related article.Kid-Atari
Gotta love how you completely ignored and bypassed my points because you couldn't refute them. Typical I suppose.
I think it's important to note that people who criticize the connector probably don't understand how little it's used for actual data transfer. I have never plugged my iPhone into my computer. It's really a very tiny, very efficient charching port.musicalmac
It's not about data transfer (though it's slow on that regard as well). It's about rendering everyone's peripherals useless unless they want to buy an adapter that costs $30 PER PERIPHERAL. I am not entirely sure why they changed connectors, but since they decided to they should have went mini USB. But like I said above, apparently Apple knows us best and we have to be force fed their proprietary crap.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Gambler_3

Mods, does Gamblers post count as forum invasion? This article had no reference, relevance nor mention of Android here. The entire forum already knows his stance on Apple, that he owns an Android device, and generally is just here to spin a negative angle on every Apple related article.Kid-Atari
A mod himself talked about android before I posted.......

What do we have like 2 or 3 iOS users on gamespot that like to talk about it? This forum will be utterly dead without us.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 musicalmac  Moderator
It's not about data transfer (though it's slow on that regard as well). It's about rendering everyone's peripherals useless unless they want to buy an adapter that costs $30 PER PERIPHERAL. I am not entirely sure why they changed connectors, but since they decided to they should have went mini USB. But like I said above, apparently Apple knows us best and we have to be force fed their proprietary crap.BeErBOnG29
Apple used the same adaptor for the better part of a decade, in fact I believe it was standard before miniUSB ports were becoming popular. I'm baffled by how much bad press Apple is getting for making something smaller and easier to use. Yes it makes some of your add-ons require an adaptor, but give companies a few months and everything will support the new connector.

It's a non-issue.
BeErBOnG29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BeErBOnG29
[QUOTE="BeErBOnG29"]It's not about data transfer (though it's slow on that regard as well). It's about rendering everyone's peripherals useless unless they want to buy an adapter that costs $30 PER PERIPHERAL. I am not entirely sure why they changed connectors, but since they decided to they should have went mini USB. But like I said above, apparently Apple knows us best and we have to be force fed their proprietary crap.musicalmac
Apple used the same adaptor for the better part of a decade, in fact I believe it was standard before miniUSB ports were becoming popular. I'm baffled by how much bad press Apple is getting for making something smaller and easier to use. Yes it makes some of your add-ons require an adaptor, but give companies a few months and everything will support the new connector.

It's a non-issue.

You completely missed the point. The point is since they don't use an industry standard they should stick to a single standard. At the VERY least, they should have included at least one adapter with the purchase of the 5. Right now, it just looks like a huge cash grab. $30 for a part that cost ~$2 (if that) to make. I love my margins. It's great that they want to make something smaller. If so, conform to the industry standard of miniUSB. Some of our add-ons? It makes it so ALL of our add-ons need an adapter. I have extra chargers (one for work, one for home), car charger, etc. I will either have to rebuy these or pay for additional adapters. I really feel bad for the people who have docks and the like. Sorry, but Apple receives all the negative press about this because they deserve it. Plain and simple.
NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 NVIDIATI

Yes it makes some of your add-ons require an adaptor, but give companies a few months and everything will support the new connector.

It's a non-issue. musicalmac
There are defiantly some problems with the new connector. Take for example the Beosound 8 (~$1200).

BS8B.jpgBS8C.jpg

There is a small white peice placed behind the dock to support the iDevice and keep it from putting too much pressure on the plug.

With the new adaptor, an iDevice with lightning will sit above the back support and put stress on the lightning plug. This may not be an issue with the new iPhone 5 as it is rather light, but the new iPad mini and iPad with lightning may be too much weight.

MD823?wid=185&hei=185&fmt=jpeg&qlt=95&op

So a new iDevice will not be ideal for the person who was stupid enough to actually spend $1200 on a B&O iPod dock.

It would also look horrible with an adaptor in the loop.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 musicalmac  Moderator
This forum is officially a headache.
NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 NVIDIATI

This forum is officially a headache. musicalmac
I'm glad you said that, we needed someone to make it official.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Gambler_3

Clearly we need to go back to having one forum, with windows 8 in the mix now it'll all be pretty fun.

Has anybody seen the amount of one post threads in this forum? Clearly nobody is interested in talking about relevant stuff.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 NVIDIATI

Clearly we need to go back to having one forum, with windows 8 in the mix now it'll all be pretty fun.

Has anybody seen the amount of one post threads in this forum? Clearly nobody is interested in talking about relevant stuff.

Gambler_3

That can all stay in SW. Xbox 360, PC, Playstation 3, Wii / Wii U, DS / 3DS, PSP / Vita, etc. all have their own board. iOS, Android, and Windows Phone / RT should be no different.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

NVIDIATI

That can all stay in SW. Xbox 360, PC, Playstation 3, Wii / Wii U, DS / 3DS, PSP / Vita, etc. all have their own board. iOS, Android, and Windows Phone / RT should be no different.

Because those boards have plenty of traffic to justify seperate boards, plenty of people come for help on those boards. Neither of that is the case with the android and iOS boards. Thats just my opinion we are better off with one board. :)

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 NVIDIATI

[QUOTE="NVIDIATI"]

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

Gambler_3

Because those boards have plenty of traffic to justify seperate boards, plenty of people come for help on those boards. Neither of that is the case with the android and iOS boards. Thats just my opinion we are better off with one board. :)

A reasonable number of people come to the iOS and Android boards with questions.

iOS help/information threads with posts in the last few days:

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29290974/very-silly-question-about-the-ipad.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29282314/new-ipad-help

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29290689/is-now-the-right-time-to-get-an-ipad3-plz-help

Android help/information threads with posts in the last few days:

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29283727/acer-iconia-a701

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29289982/updating-android-os

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29283972/androidflash-playerno

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29275801/should-i-get-the-galaxy-nexus

Cross platform discussion is for System Wars, hence why the Android/iOS thread has been so successful.

deleteduser198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deleteduser198
This forum is officially a headache. musicalmac
Then please do something and moderate the obvious forum invaders. They post more frequently in this forum than in their own respective Android forum. The last time something like this happened, you said they were allowed only because it was a Samsung vs Apple thread. Now this is a thread dedicated to Apple users, exclusively about a new Apple product. THIS SHOULD BE OBVIOUS THAT THERE ARE TROLLS DEGRADING WHAT THIS FORUM IS FOR.
NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 NVIDIATI

[QUOTE="musicalmac"]This forum is officially a headache. Kid-Atari
Then please do something and moderate the obvious forum invaders. They post more frequently in this forum than in their own respective Android forum. The last time something like this happened, you said they were allowed only because it was a Samsung vs Apple thread. Now this is a thread dedicated to Apple users, exclusively about a new Apple product. THIS SHOULD BE OBVIOUS THAT THERE ARE TROLLS DEGRADING WHAT THIS FORUM IS FOR.

My apologies that there aren't as many extreme Apple fans such as yourself, but don't disrespect those who come here for discussion with a meaningful purpose.

Take BeErBOnG29 for example, he's obviously a fan of Apple and came to this thread to talk about the likes/dislikes of the iPhone 5.

Instead of creating discussion, his comments get brushed off. Why is that?

Why do you only believe that this thread is for Apple users? Some sort of discrimination? No other board is like this.

There happens to be a temporary Windows Phone 8 and RT discussion thread on the Android board at the moment and everyone gets along just fine. Amazing how reasonable people can be, then again you would just assume everyone hates Apple, etc. etc.

Normally I'd inform you it is wise to ignore trolls, but based on your history, I highly doubt you give a ****.

Once again, SW is the place for cross-platform discussion, users should be directed there.

deleteduser198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deleteduser198

[QUOTE="Kid-Atari"][QUOTE="musicalmac"]This forum is officially a headache. NVIDIATI

My apologies that there aren't as many extreme Apple fans such as yourself, but don't disrespect those who come here for discussion with a meaningful purpose.

Take BeErBOnG29 for example, he's obviously a fan of Apple and came to this thread to talk about the likes/dislikes of the iPhone 5.

Why do you only believe that this thread is for Apple users? Some sort of discrimination? No other board is like this.

There happens to be a temporary Windows Phone 8 and RT discussion thread on the Android board at the moment and everyone gets along just fine. Amazing how reasonable people can be, then again you would just assume everyone hates Apple, etc. etc.

Normally I'd inform you it is wise to ignore trolls, but based on your history, I highly doubt you give a ****.

Once again, SW is the place for cross-platform discussion, users should be directed there.

There's nothing meaningful about coming into the Apple board simply just to express disdain in every thread. That is Gamblers purpose and the sole basis of his existence here in the Apple section. He does not belong here, he does not belong in this discussion, it's considered forum invasion. And none of the mods do anything about it because they love seeing it..
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 musicalmac  Moderator
It's not about data transfer (though it's slow on that regard as well). It's about rendering everyone's peripherals useless unless they want to buy an adapter that costs $30 PER PERIPHERAL. I am not entirely sure why they changed connectors, but since they decided to they should have went mini USB. But like I said above, apparently Apple knows us best and we have to be force fed their proprietary crap.BeErBOnG29
Apple made the new connector because it was smaller and it allowed the iPhone 5 to be lower-profile. Schiller said it clear as day in the presentation. It's also reversible, which makes it less annoying to plug in (not as big a deal, but a nice inclusion).
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 musicalmac  Moderator

NVIDIATI
This forum is useless. It is mobile SW. None of the iOS forumites care about Android, which is why the Google forum is so peaceful. And WinMo8 isn't worth anyone's time yet because it's smaller than RIM. I'm afraid I have to be be tougher. It's time to draw the line between legitimate, thoughtful posts and obvious trolling attempts.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Gambler_3

This forum is useless. It is mobile SW. None of the iOS forumites care about Android, which is why the Google forum is so peaceful. And WinMo8 isn't worth anyone's time yet because it's smaller than RIM. I'm afraid I have to be be tougher. It's time to draw the line between legitimate, thoughtful posts and obvious trolling attempts.musicalmac
lol let us analyze this.

This forum has had alot more "comparison" posts than the android board and you two complaining are the biggest culprits of it. When you make false claims about apple superiority with BS surveys and what not then us posting in that thread is not forum invasion. We have had hardly any topics on the android board where someone tried to belittle iOS but thats certainly not true of this board. The only threads that are even there happened after it started happening here.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29219823/ios-growth-doubles-android-in-last-three-months

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29192365/ios-still-holds-significant-lead-in-developer-interest

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29233850/apple-granted-the-mother-of-all-smartphone-software-patents

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29254400/ars-technica-recognizes-ios-as-biggest-gaming-platform

If you cant follow the rules then dont talk BS about others!!! No such topics exist on the PS3/360 boards.

And yes among the knowledgeable community there are very few apple fanboys so by default an-anti apple thread is going to be less intense. "None of the iOS forumites care about android" haha that one cracked me up coming from you.

I didnt even post in this board in it's initial days until these sort of threads started coming up!!!

deleteduser198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deleteduser198
[QUOTE="NVIDIATI"]

musicalmac
This forum is useless. It is mobile SW. None of the iOS forumites care about Android, which is why the Google forum is so peaceful. And WinMo8 isn't worth anyone's time yet because it's smaller than RIM. I'm afraid I have to be be tougher. It's time to draw the line between legitimate, thoughtful posts and obvious trolling attempts.

PLEASE be tougher. Gambler doesn't belong here at all.
deleteduser198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deleteduser198
[QUOTE="Kid-Atari"]Mods, does Gamblers post count as forum invasion? This article had no reference, relevance nor mention of Android here. The entire forum already knows his stance on Apple, that he owns an Android device, and generally is just here to spin a negative angle on every Apple related article.BeErBOnG29
Gotta love how you completely ignored and bypassed my points because you couldn't refute them. Typical I suppose.
I think it's important to note that people who criticize the connector probably don't understand how little it's used for actual data transfer. I have never plugged my iPhone into my computer. It's really a very tiny, very efficient charching port.musicalmac
It's not about data transfer (though it's slow on that regard as well). It's about rendering everyone's peripherals useless unless they want to buy an adapter that costs $30 PER PERIPHERAL. I am not entirely sure why they changed connectors, but since they decided to they should have went mini USB. But like I said above, apparently Apple knows us best and we have to be force fed their proprietary crap.

I've already refuted them. Your reaction was to marginalize every single aspect of what makes the iPhone 5 a "new" iPhone. It's incredulous to say that doubling raw horse power and graphical ability in the span of one year is "expected as an upgrade." There's no point having a discussion with someone who obviously carries cynicism in great strides and dispenses such with a false sense of pride
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#37 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
Well, time to give away my iHome I guess, unless they make the adapter for the 5 a little smaller.
BeErBOnG29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BeErBOnG29
[QUOTE="Kid-Atari"] I've already refuted them. Your reaction was to marginalize every single aspect of what makes the iPhone 5 a "new" iPhone. It's incredulous to say that doubling raw horse power and graphical ability in the span of one year is "expected as an upgrade." There's no point having a discussion with someone who obviously carries cynicism in great strides and dispenses such with a false sense of pride

Hardly. You have not refuted a single point of mine. In fact, you have just completely ignored my posts because it goes beyond your extreme Apple-fanboyism perspective. It's funny to listen to you talk about banning trolls. Are you not doing the same thing, only on the other side of the spectrum? First of all, stop pretending claims are facts. Secondly, yes, increasing speed and graphical capability is a very linear upgrade. I'm talking about innovation. You know, the competitive advantage Apple used to be known for. You're right. There is no point in having a discussion with someone who is so blinded. It's no wonder not a single person on this board takes you seriously. Your false sense of brand superiority is unfortunate. Look, I can make insults too!
BeErBOnG29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 BeErBOnG29
[QUOTE="NVIDIATI"]

musicalmac

Tougher how? The pendulum swings both ways. You should probably leave Gambler alone. At least he gives the other side to uninformed readers. It sort of balances itself out with some of the diehard fanboyism shown by a few members here.
deleteduser198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deleteduser198
[QUOTE="musicalmac"][QUOTE="NVIDIATI"]

BeErBOnG29

Tougher how? The pendulum swings both ways. You should probably leave Gambler alone. At least he gives the other side to uninformed readers. It sort of balances itself out with some of the diehard fanboyism shown by a few members here.

This is the board for Apple users. Much like how there is a board for Wii owners, 360 owners, and PS3 owners. You don't see PS3 owners getting away with going into the 360 forums to "re-educate" the blind microsoft fanboyism going on. Thats what the respective boards are for: congregating among other users of the assigned platform. Android users needn't be here just to state their obvious disdain for everything Apple related. I'm not asking for a ban for anyone, I'm asking mods to do their job and treat the Apple forum the same way every other platform specific board is regulated: keeping the trolls out.
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 mystic_knight

Why is everyone arguing.

Kid Atari you don't own the board, and you can't push other members out just because you feel like it.

If there are features of the iPhone that people do not like it can still be voiced here. If he is coming here saying iOS is crap and that its useless or as it says in the header anti-iOS talk yes its considered an invasion.

What did gambler even try to voice. He said how much better the iPhone would have been if they decided to make it that little bigger. Or how many advancements they could have used if they weren't in a court room with every other manufacturer. Its his opinion. He was never praising android devices in here. He stated how much the phone could have been improved. And my comment was stating in some areas you have caught to the current standard and was outlining that the phone was actually good.

So not sure how you consider these invasive comments. You should really stop holding grudges to anyone who doesn't say the iPhone is the best phone in the market.You don't hear what you want to hear, thats too bad. But no one got out of line.

On to something more relevant about the device.

Apple have used their own ARMv7 instructions and designed the CPU similar to a15 architecture. In the same vein as Qualcomm with their Krait processor, similar to a15. Article here Still not too much info as everyone is waiting for someone to get their hands on a phone to break it down. They purposely didn't advertise cores as some of the clueless might have been upset if it was a 'dual core'. A common problem found in the android world. People dismissed the dual core krait without realising it was on par with the quad core a9 in most tests. Promising SOC in this A6. It might actually be the best SOC available right now.

Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#42 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts
I stayed up till 4AM to check the keynote live and at first I was ready to dump my SIII and get the iPhone 5 ... However after a few days of thinking, I calmed down and think that my SIII has pretty much all the features in the iPhone except for iOS. But yeah the iPhone really looks quite pretty!
NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 NVIDIATI

It might actually be the best SOC available right now.

mystic_knight

Snapdragon S4 Pro is already out, so its not likely.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mystic_knight

[QUOTE="mystic_knight"]

NVIDIATI

Its available but until the OPPO or the LG comes out, its not available to consumers.
deleteduser198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deleteduser198
[QUOTE="musicalmac"][QUOTE="BeErBOnG29"]It's not about data transfer (though it's slow on that regard as well). It's about rendering everyone's peripherals useless unless they want to buy an adapter that costs $30 PER PERIPHERAL. I am not entirely sure why they changed connectors, but since they decided to they should have went mini USB. But like I said above, apparently Apple knows us best and we have to be force fed their proprietary crap.BeErBOnG29

It's a non-issue.

You completely missed the point. The point is since they don't use an industry standard they should stick to a single standard. At the VERY least, they should have included at least one adapter with the purchase of the 5. Right now, it just looks like a huge cash grab. $30 for a part that cost ~$2 (if that) to make. I love my margins. It's great that they want to make something smaller. If so, conform to the industry standard of miniUSB. Some of our add-ons? It makes it so ALL of our add-ons need an adapter. I have extra chargers (one for work, one for home), car charger, etc. I will either have to rebuy these or pay for additional adapters. I really feel bad for the people who have docks and the like. Sorry, but Apple receives all the negative press about this because they deserve it. Plain and simple.

Now you're just nitpicking, Sir. You only need one adapter. You don't need to buy a separate adapter PER accessory.
NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 NVIDIATI

[QUOTE="NVIDIATI"]

[QUOTE="mystic_knight"]

mystic_knight

Its available but until the OPPO or the LG comes out, its not available to consumers.

Well Qualcomm's tablet can be purchased through BSQURSE for $1299. When it comes to phones, the Xiaomi MI-2 might be out before the iPhone 5.

BeErBOnG29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 BeErBOnG29
[QUOTE="Kid-Atari"] Now you're just nitpicking, Sir. You only need one adapter. You don't need to buy a separate adapter PER accessory.

Now you're just glossing over the point like you do with every post you comment on. I know reading comprehension is difficult and all, but don't hurt yourself. Just a single adapter, huh? I guess I'll just carry that adapter around in my pocket all day so I can plug it in to the various accessory that needs it. That's exactly what I was avoiding by buying multiple chargers. It's the convenience. Who wants to plug in the phone into an adapter into whatever is using the old 30-pin connector. I sure don't. I'm done responding to you. You are too far gone. I leave you with one last question out of curiosity: how much does Apple pay you again?
The_Joker1721

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 The_Joker1721
Member since 2012 • 304 Posts
[QUOTE="Kid-Atari"][QUOTE="BeErBOnG29"][QUOTE="musicalmac"] This forum is useless. It is mobile SW. None of the iOS forumites care about Android, which is why the Google forum is so peaceful. And WinMo8 isn't worth anyone's time yet because it's smaller than RIM. I'm afraid I have to be be tougher. It's time to draw the line between legitimate, thoughtful posts and obvious trolling attempts.

This is the board for Apple users. Much like how there is a board for Wii owners, 360 owners, and PS3 owners. You don't see PS3 owners getting away with going into the 360 forums to "re-educate" the blind microsoft fanboyism going on. Thats what the respective boards are for: congregating among other users of the assigned platform. Android users needn't be here just to state their obvious disdain for everything Apple related. I'm not asking for a ban for anyone, I'm asking mods to do their job and treat the Apple forum the same way every other platform specific board is regulated: keeping the trolls out.

This. Threads in these forums get derailed into apple vs any other company really quickly around here. This place should be a place for fans of apples products to discuss apple news without getting into silly arguments. On topic, I think the iPhone 5 looks great. Doubling the graphics while making the iPhone thinner is really cool has anyone seen the screenshot of, I believe it was real racing? Looked fantastic. Sadly enough I'm not getting one any time soon (Darn you T-Mobile!) but I have never owned an iPhone so if I can get this one it would be a great intro to the iPhone product line. Since my iPod broke I haven't really posted here but hopefully I'll pick up the latest iPad (iPad 3?) soon so I can get back into the fold around here again. By the way kid-atari how's it going?
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 mystic_knight
The problem is it shouldn't be like that, but when people simply state how much more improved the product could have been, it gets backlashed from the apple community, opinions can be made that praise the device and ones that hope the device would be better. You guys made a big deal because we all stated that the lightning connector should have been replaced with a micro USB, something that is not only common on android but also on windows 7/8 phones. Its just an opinion which many felt as a silly move from apple... The phone its self is a great device, but people wanted to see the innovation Apple have been known to display, instead they got your typical progression of specs which is what the competition normally do. Not that its a bad thing, people just had higher hopes.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Gambler_3

I acknowledged in my post that I like the screen size if I were being a fanboy I could have said OMG so much smaller than the galaxy S3 but I have always said 4" is a very good size and I wont back off from it just because iphone has it now. I appreciated the fact that they finally got rid of the glass back. What exactly do you guys want? Only those post in this forum who are completely and totally in unconditional love with apple products? :?