Surface vs iPad, business still prefers iPad

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mister-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Mister-Man
Member since 2014 • 616 Posts

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/mobile-computing/tablets/surface-pro-3-vs-ipad-air-2-which-is-better-for-business--1274774/2

As this article states, business and enterprise still largely favors the iPad as its favorite medium of productivity, as evidenced by its overwhelming proliferation in a majority of businesses, and the mere STATISTICAL fact alone that 98% of all Fortune 500 companies primarily conduct and manage their businesses exclusively through iPads. Source:

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-apple-is-dominating-enterprise-2014-2

Apple has dominated business with the iPad ever since its inception, and it largely just expands on that trend to this day, with extremely little headway being given to competitors.

The overwhelming billion-dollar third party software and hardware support helps cement the iPads position, as there are a dizzying number of add-on peripherals, from projector screen support to actual iPad projector screens, payment terminals to credit card readers, keyboards to virtual pointers, and of course, iOS's much coveted app selection. (the number of highly polished and integrated business apps on iOS alone completely pales in comparison compared to other platforms. Add to the fact that Windows entire productivity AND Googles cloud services function better on iOS and benefits from its OS uniformity, it compounds the reasons why executives and field agents still clng to their three year old iPads despite newer devices having been released) There is no other platform in the world that enjoys as much software support as well as hardware peripheral support than Apple's mobile devices. The hardware peripheral industry for iOS alone generated billions on a yearly basis.

Though I can see why most people would assume that the surface would be an iPad killer in the business sector, it just plain isn't, and despite having been around for several years, it hasn't made a dent in the iPads prominence in productivity related industries, especially where business, music and media are concerned

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

Yes it has, as more businesses are finding out how terrible the iPad is as a productivity tool. You can gloat all about "polished" apps and sales, but iPads piss poor when it comes to VPN and homegroups as well as installing group policies. In other words, they're highly more security prone in the enterprise sector.

Edit: Also, that first link gave it more of an unfair comparison as the Surface Pro 3 was never meant to compete with the iPad Air

Mister-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Mister-Man

@FireEmblem_Man: It's always amusing when someone tries to debate fact. I wish I had more popcorn. lol

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FireEmblem_Man

@mister-man said:

@FireEmblem_Man: It's always amusing when someone tries to debate fact. I wish I had more popcorn. lol

What facts? You just based your facts on Opinion! Here's some facts

Mister-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Mister-Man

@FireEmblem_Man: The facts on how 98% of all respectable businesses are using the iPad.

All you're showing me is a massive circle jerk from a website called windows central. Hahahah, "facts" my arse.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FireEmblem_Man

@mister-man said:

@FireEmblem_Man: The facts on how 98% of all respectable businesses are using the iPad.

All you're showing me is a massive circle jerk from a website called windows central. Hahahah, "facts" my arse.

Where do you get 98%?

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@mister-man said:

Where do you get 98%?

Note how he says "respectable", that just means he is selectively excluding businesses to bolster his statistics.

Mister-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Mister-Man

Where do I get 98%? I guess you don't know how to read. I linked to the article from business insider that reveals the statistic about the Fortune 500 companies.

98% of the top 500 businesses in the world use an iPad exclusively, up from 92% two years ago.

I say "respectable" businesses, because you'd have to be un order to make it into the top 500.

I love when you debate facts. It shows how delusional you are.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FireEmblem_Man

@mister-man said:

Where do I get 98%? I guess you don't know how to read. I linked to the article from business insider that reveals the statistic about the Fortune 500 companies.

98% of the top 500 businesses in the world use an iPad exclusively, up from 92% two years ago.

I say "respectable" businesses, because you'd have to be un order to make it into the top 500.

I love when you debate facts. It shows how delusional you are.

Again, no where near the article they mention how many Fortune 500 companies were using iPads and iPhones over Windows PC devices! They just said "respectable" and mention a huge number without showing any statistics or how many businesses! That article is a joke and you keep making yourself look more like a troll and a delusional Apple fanboy

Mister-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mister-Man

"98% of all Fortune 500" companies IS a statistic. Again... 98% of ALL Fortune 500 companies. You know who conducted the survey with those top 500 businesses for the last several years? Forbes themselves........ and pretty much every other data analyst and market research firm. Hahahh.. And yes, there is specific mention that the 98% opting for iPads is a preferred decision OVER alternatives, including Google and MS alternatives, with the most pronounced and unanimous expression of this when it comes to a BYOD environment. Go ahead. Run a search for "iPad Fortune 500" and witness all the different analytical firms coming to the same conclusion. Then run a search for "surface fortune 500." Doesn't even register as a tiny blip in anyones radar. For good reason. It's a niche product with an even more niche use-case scenario.

I know... It's hard to accept reality when you're delusional. It's okay. Here's a pat on your head. I'm gaining so much weight off all this popcorn I'm eating.

Don't fret, Microsoft will one day grab 3 or 4 percent of that statistic. They have to beat Googles hold of the other 2% first, which is entirely possible :)

Oh btw... Just to further illustrate Apples dominance in productivity related industries... I came across another golden nugget. Not only is Apples iPad used by 98% of the top 500 companies in this country, it turns out that on an international scale, 91% of ALL top global 500 companies use the iPad over any other mobile device for managing their bussinesses. Surprised even me, I would have assumed a much more conservative number, like around 60%.

Your tears. They sustain me.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FireEmblem_Man

Yawn.....

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/tim-cook-on-ipad-sales-it-is-what-it-is

Mister-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Mister-Man

@FireEmblem_Man: Oh that's nice, ignore the facts, dodge the topic then post irrelevent subject.

Soooo what you're showing me is that the iPad at its worst sells 12.4 million units in ONE quarter, while the surface at its best sells a skimp 1 million unts? Hahaha, way to shoot yourself in the foot with that one!

The upgrade cycle on tablets aren't like phones, genius. People don't buy a new tablet every year. I myself got a new iPad Air 2 after having waited four years from my older iPad. And the fact that you've shown just how much iPads still beat the competition while at it's "worst" and after having already saturated the market goes to show even more proof how miniscule the surface is.

I guess I'd be excited too for an ailing company to finally be able to sell a fraction of what the top dog does

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FireEmblem_Man

@mister-man said:

@FireEmblem_Man: Oh that's nice, ignore the facts, dodge the topic then post irrelevent subject.

Soooo what you're showing me is that the iPad at its worst sells 12.4 million units in ONE quarter, while the surface at its best sells a skimp 1 million unts? Hahaha, way to shoot yourself in the foot with that one!

The upgrade cycle on tablets aren't like phones, genius. People don't buy a new tablet every year. I myself got a new iPad Air 2 after having waited four years from my older iPad. And the fact that you've shown just how much iPads still beat the competition while at it's "worst" and after having already saturated the market goes to show even more proof how miniscule the surface is.

I guess I'd be excited too for an ailing company to finally be able to sell a fraction of what the top dog does

Sales going also mean disinterest from enterprise

Mister-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Mister-Man

@FireEmblem_Man:

This year saw a global increase of iPad presencein enterprise. I thought you read the article?

I feel bad for you when the tens of millions finally decide to upgrade from their half decade old iPad 1's and iPad 2's. ;)

Mister-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Mister-Man

Here's a very detailed article from Business Insider that goes through a step by step explanation of how the iPad and iPhone completely dominated business and enterprise from the very outset of their release, despite fandroids swearing left and right that "You can't do real work on an iPhone or iPad"

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FireEmblem_Man

@mister-man said:

Here's a very detailed article from Business Insider that goes through a step by step explanation of how the iPad and iPhone completely dominated business and enterprise from the very outset of their release, despite fandroids swearing left and right that "You can't do real work on an iPhone or iPad"

That article is old, and the comments below already proved the author wrong so no!

Mister-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Mister-Man

@paulmoore: The surface can't kill the iPad, more less affect it in any discernable way.

It's a niche product that serves a small group with specific requirements.

It's not useless at all, it's very useful for those who seek its functionality. It's just not taking over business and enterprise the way the iPad is dominating it.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FireEmblem_Man

@mister-man said:

@paulmoore: The surface can't kill the iPad, more less affect it in any discernable way.

It's a niche product that serves a small group with specific requirements.

It's not useless at all, it's very useful for those who seek its functionality. It's just not taking over business and enterprise the way the iPad is dominating it.

LOL, you're such a comedian!

Loading Video...

Also, this video proves why the Surface 3 is a better device to have for school than the iPad

Loading Video...

Mister-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Mister-Man

@FireEmblem_Man: You can keep posting videos of some internet guy and a how to video of the surface, but it still hasn't changed the fact that nearly every business prefers the iPad for productive purposes. When you can say that 40% of all businesses prefer using the surface, I'll stop laughing at you, Unfortunately, that's probably not happening anytime this decade.... you know.... because 2%. ;)

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FireEmblem_Man

@mister-man said:

@FireEmblem_Man: You can keep posting videos of some internet guy and a how to video of the surface, but it still hasn't changed the fact that nearly every business prefers the iPad for productive purposes. When you can say that 40% of all businesses prefer using the surface, I'll stop laughing at you, Unfortunately, that's probably not happening anytime this decade.... you know.... because 2%. ;)

You were saying?

In 3Q15, Microsoft’s Surface tablets recorded $713 million in revenue, an increase of 44% on a YoY basis. Management says the majority of this growth came from Surface Pro 3, which was launched in June 2014. Although 44% was an impressive growth from Microsoft, Apple (AAPL) earned ~$9 billion in revenue through iPads in Apple’s December quarter

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Business in what sense, though? I'd argue that the Surface series is more popular amongst actual multitasking business people. Ipad will obviously dominate a statistic because it is used in so many POS(point of sales) systems.

Mister-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Mister-Man

@FireEmblem_Man: All you pointed out was that Apple sold nearly ten times the amount that MS did. How is this a win? Still in the other 2% in business and enterprise. You just made my point even clearer.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 FireEmblem_Man

@mister-man said:

@FireEmblem_Man: All you pointed out was that Apple sold nearly ten times the amount that MS did. How is this a win? Still in the other 2% in business and enterprise. You just made my point even clearer.

So you ignored the 44% increase? Also, the Pro 3 was NEVER meant to be compared to the iPad, get that through your THICK SKULL!

Mister-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Mister-Man

@FireEmblem_Man: I didn't ignore it. I acknowledged that its 44% increase in sales amounted to 700 million dollars in revenue. When stacked next to Apples figure of over 9 billion dollars in revenue, it really puts into perspective how small of an impact the surface has on the market compared to the proliferation of iPads.

On top of that fun fact, that 44% increase of Surface sales also currently represent the 1-2% of businesses in this country, and 1-8% of businesses worldwide actually deploying Surfaces in any meaningful way, compared to the 98% of business industries across corporate, medical, government, retail and media in this country, and 92% of the entire world using iPads as its preferred platform.

If a 44% increase in sales is what it took to establish itself among the other 2% competing with the iPad and iOS, then it's really not something even worth bragging about, but something to be embarrassed by. Hardly the game changer you've made the Surface out to be in terms of penetration in our industries. Suffice to say, Apple has become the new standard that Microsoft once was in business.

Therefore, painting clear as day, that in the very end, businesses still, in fact, prefer using and deploying the iPad for meaningful productive purposes rather than the conservatively received Surface that is "subjectively, in your opinion" better for business.

It was a pleasure spelling it out slowly for you. ;)

Mister-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Mister-Man

@FireEmblem_Man: :)