Surface 2 shipping Oct 25

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

or at least that's what I thought when I preordered mine. But just a few hours ago I got an email notification saying my copy had shipped and on the UPS tracker it says it will arrive tomorrow. Yay?

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

Nay! Skip Windows RT and purchase a Bay Trail tablet with Windows 8.1.

Even Anand made mention in his review that the Surface 2 would have been better with Bay Trail:

I really like everything about Surface 2 as a physical device. The chassis, the weight, the kickstand, the feel, everything. The software/services side of the story needs work, and until it gets there that puts a good amount of pricing pressure on Microsoft – at least if it wants broad adoption. There is an alternative solution to this entire problem however. I can’t help but feel like if Microsoft threw Intel’s Bay Trail in the Surface 2 chassis that a number of users might come to a completely different conclusion about the device. When we first posted about ASUS’ T100, common feedback was that users would be willing to pay more for an even better device. A Bay Trail Surface 2 could’ve been that device.

Credit Anandtech
Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

@NVIDIATI: I've looked at other Windows tablets including ones with Bay Trail CPUs and to be honest they look cheap. Surface exudes premium and I think that's what I want from a tablet - to not feel cheap and is powerful. This is coming from one who's never bough a tablet but has tried everything from an iPad to a Samsung tab. I do not like iOS nor the general clunkiness of Android. BB is also deader than dead. So it's Windows for me. I think I'll be happy with Surface 2 and I certainly can't wait for it to arrive tomorrow!

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

@Kjranu said:

@NVIDIATI: I've looked at other Windows tablets including ones with Bay Trail CPUs and to be honest they look cheap. Surface exudes premium and I think that's what I want from a tablet - to not feel cheap and is powerful. This is coming from one who's never bough a tablet but has tried everything from an iPad to a Samsung tab. I do not like iOS nor the general clunkiness of Android. BB is also deader than dead. So it's Windows for me. I think I'll be happy with Surface 2 and I certainly can't wait for it to arrive tomorrow!

The only 10 inch Bay Trail tablet on the market right now is a mid range ($349) ASUS Transformer T100 (keyboard dock included) and it launched a few days ago. The high end Bay Trail devices (Z3770) will be coming in Nov. and onwards.

Personally, I'm waiting for Lenovo's ThinkPad Tablet 3.