Samsung Galaxy S II X

This topic is locked from further discussion.

halokillerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 halokillerz
Member since 2004 • 3406 Posts

Thinking about getting this phone, are there any better android phones i should get instead?

edit: i also see the galaxy nexus, which is better?

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts
It's still the best phone on the market IMO. The only other phone you might want to consider is the Galaxy Nexus. However, if you can wait a few more months, quad core phones will be out, including the Galaxy S3.
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 mystic_knight
Member since 2003 • 13801 Posts
The galaxy nexus has a better cpu, honestly the galaxy s 2 x looks like a step backwards, exynos and TI are both better cpu soc's than the qualcomm's also the pixel density is reduced further from its larger screen. The galaxy s 2 HD LTE might be worth the wait or the GS3.
semianonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 semianonymous
Member since 2007 • 6685 Posts

The galaxy nexus has a better cpu, honestly the galaxy s 2 x looks like a step backwards, exynos and TI are both better cpu soc's than the qualcomm's also the pixel density is reduced further from its larger screen. The galaxy s 2 HD LTE might be worth the wait or the GS3.mystic_knight

wut

Phone CPU's are virtually the same, all based on dual core ARM chips. The GPU on the Exynos destroys the Adreno in the qualcomm and whatever it is in the TI OMAP chip. Assuming the one he goes for has an Exynos, it objectively is better than any other chip in any other android

semianonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 semianonymous

oh oops, thats the snapdragon version. Pretty sure the snapdragon still has a processor on par with the TI OMAP chips, at least until the 4470's start popping up

halokillerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 halokillerz
Member since 2004 • 3406 Posts

thx, i'm just going to stick it out and wait for the S 3

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mystic_knight

[QUOTE="mystic_knight"]The galaxy nexus has a better cpu, honestly the galaxy s 2 x looks like a step backwards, exynos and TI are both better cpu soc's than the qualcomm's also the pixel density is reduced further from its larger screen. The galaxy s 2 HD LTE might be worth the wait or the GS3.semianonymous

wut

Phone CPU's are virtually the same, all based on dual core ARM chips. The GPU on the Exynos destroys the Adreno in the qualcomm and whatever it is in the TI OMAP chip. Assuming the one he goes for has an Exynos, it objectively is better than any other chip in any other android

I thought exynos and TI use the a9 infrastructure while qualcomm uses a8. So there is a difference hence why a TI 1.2ghz can keep up and potentially beat a qualcomms 1.5ghz TI and Exynos both use the sgx540vr for their GPU which is more powerful than the adreno 220 found on the qualcomms. The phone listed in the threads title uses the qualcomm snapdragon 1.5ghz dual core. Your information is a little inaccurate, read up on the SOC's. You will see what i have said is pretty much all true.
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mystic_knight

oh oops, thats the snapdragon version. Pretty sure the snapdragon still has a processor on par with the TI OMAP chips, at least until the 4470's start popping up

semianonymous
Nah TI is on par with Exynos. Snapdragon processors is the weakest of the three.
semianonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 semianonymous

[QUOTE="semianonymous"]

[QUOTE="mystic_knight"]The galaxy nexus has a better cpu, honestly the galaxy s 2 x looks like a step backwards, exynos and TI are both better cpu soc's than the qualcomm's also the pixel density is reduced further from its larger screen. The galaxy s 2 HD LTE might be worth the wait or the GS3.mystic_knight

wut

I thought exynos and TI use the a9 infrastructure while qualcomm uses a8. So there is a difference hence why a TI 1.2ghz can keep up and potentially beat a qualcomms 1.5ghz TI and Exynos both use the sgx540vr for their GPU which is more powerful than the adreno 220 found on the qualcomms. The phone listed in the threads title uses the qualcomm snapdragon 1.5ghz dual core. Your information is a little inaccurate, read up on the SOC's. You will see what i have said is pretty much all true.

Half right. For one, the TI uses a SGX540 whereas the Exynos uses a Mali-400. You were probably thinking of the Galaxy S 1, which used a SGX540. The Mali-400 eats the competition. Look up some benchmarks, it stumbles in a few early triangle tests and then goes on to sweep the competition, only losing to flash performance against the tegra 2, strangely enough, but by about half a frame per second. The A8/A9 bit is correct, although once Qualcomms Krait SoC is released, that will likely be changed. Kind of silly that they waited this long, I honestly though they had caught up.

The Adreno 220 in the looks pretty much below average. Too bad, really.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mystic_knight

Thanks for the heads up... apologies for that, the mali400 is indeed in gs2 and is superior to the power VR sgx540.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#11 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

It does NOT matter how powerful a mobile GPU is in itself but it matters in relation to the screen resolution. Like an 800x480 phone doesnt really need that powerful a GPU whereas a 720p phone really should have a monster.

It's like PC gaming where if you have a 30" monitor and "only" a GTX 570 then you are kinda screwed and someone with a GTX 560 and a lesser screen resolution will be playing games at better settings and performance.

And btw andreno 220 is a highly capable GPU, dont know what you guys are talking about it's more powerful than SGX540.

semianonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 semianonymous

It does NOT matter how powerful a mobile GPU is in itself but it matters in relation to the screen resolution. Like an 800x480 phone doesnt really need that powerful a GPU whereas a 720p phone really should have a monster.

It's like PC gaming where if you have a 30" monitor and "only" a GTX 570 then you are kinda screwed and someone with a GTX 560 and a lesser screen resolution will be playing games at better settings and performance.

And btw andreno 220 is a highly capable GPU, dont know what you guys are talking about it's more powerful than SGX540.

Gambler_3

Only the 200mhz one found in the SGS. The overclocked one found in later devices tends to edge it out in benchmarks

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#13 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

Yes my bad I was forgetting that the newer phones have a different SGX540.

However SGX540 is still too weak for 720p in my opinion, should have been the iphone 4S GPU.