Rumor: iTunes Store coming to Android?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

applefan1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 applefan1991  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 3397 Posts

Seems that Apple is in the exploratory stages of possibly bringing an iTunes Store app to Android devices. Apparently this is to compete with competing services such as Spotify and Pandora. Thoughts?

Link

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By mystic_knight
Member since 2003 • 13801 Posts

Guarantee this wont happen... They will lose customers and sell less iPhones in future releases. It's too much of a gamble for them, unlike Google/Android who make profits from apps and advertising Apple market the phone and its software together and make profits from their hardware sales.

ChiefFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#3  Edited By ChiefFreeman
Member since 2005 • 5667 Posts

I like the idea. iPhone owners aren't going to abandon the platform if Apple did this. They're pretty damn loyal. Apple would make a ton of profit, and it would be a win situation for Android phone owners.

applefan1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 applefan1991  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 3397 Posts

I think it's definitely possible, just very unlikely. The reason why I think it is possible is because Apple wants iTunes Radio to compete with The likes of Pandora, and they need it to be on multiple OS's for that to happen. I think this is more about the expansion of iTunes Radio (similar to iTunes going to Windows back in the day) than anything else.

_HazBro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By _HazBro_
Member since 2014 • 125 Posts

Save the fact that iTunes is overall pretty garbage, I can't even imagine why Apple would want to do this. They're too late, there's too many competitors already on Android. On top of that, I don't see them doing this on Android, there wouldn't be a big enough benefit for them IMO.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#6 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

@mystic_knight said:

Guarantee this wont happen... They will lose customers and sell less iPhones in future releases. It's too much of a gamble for them, unlike Google/Android who make profits from apps and advertising Apple market the phone and its software together and make profits from their hardware sales.

Don't be so quick to make guarantees.

Remember when Apple debuted iTunes on Windows? By allowing greater access to iTunes, it allows more people to buy digital content from Apple. It's kind of a no-brainer, and it will further increase Apple's range. I think it's an interesting prospect and one that likely makes Google sweat a little under the collar.

kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 kemar7856
Member since 2004 • 11783 Posts

@mystic_knight: I doubt it itunes is already drm free i'm sure people already buy music from there then transfer it to their android devices

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

Xbox Music is available cross platform, so why not?