[ROM] CyanogenMod Discussion Thread *Nightlies, Stable and Experimental* (56k)

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Rikusaki
Member since 2006 • 16634 Posts

Use this thread to discuss nightly, stable and experimental builds!

What is CyanogenMod?

CyanogenMod is an aftermarket firmware for a number of cell phones based on the open-source Android operating system. It offers features not found in the official Android based firmwares of vendors of these cell phones.

-from cyanogenmod.com

Features:

DSP Equalizer

Theme Support

Lockscreen Gestures

And much more!

Versions of CyanogenMod:

CyanogenMod 7: Built from AOSP Gingerbread (Android 2.3.x)

CyanogenMod 9: Built from AOSP Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0.x)

Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Rikusaki

I'm running a CM7 Nightly on my Atrix with a custom OC kernel. I'm using SetCPU to OC to 1.45Ghz. My phone performs miles better than it did out of the box. Everything is butter smooth and it's all AOSP! :)

Fandangle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Fandangle
Member since 2003 • 3433 Posts

I have CM7 as well - great way to do things

semianonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 semianonymous
Member since 2007 • 6685 Posts

CM7 nightly 201 for G2X with Faux 123's kernel. Its kind of great except for the whole LG + Tegra 2 = development nightmare. I'm honestly surprised ICS has gotten as far as it has.

Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Rikusaki

CM7 nightly 201 for G2X with Faux 123's kernel. Its kind of great except for the whole LG + Tegra 2 = development nightmare. I'm honestly surprised ICS has gotten as far as it has.

semianonymous
I'm also using Faux 123's kernel. Can't wait for ICS.
Loegi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Loegi
Member since 2009 • 1692 Posts
Is this allowed now? I have been looking to install this on my Desire Z, but it's quite a hassle apparently. So I will do it when I have got a free afternoon.
SPBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 SPBoss
Member since 2009 • 3746 Posts
Running CM7 on a Galaxy S2, removed ADW and went with Go Launcher.. I recommend people enable surface dithering if they have a powerful enough phone. It renders the screen in a much nicer way! I also recommend that you install Chainfire 3d, seeing as gta 3 wont be available on most devices (Tegra2 only) this is a nice workaround :)
flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
I'm really tempted to do this, but I just got my phone and it's locked. Unlocking it isn't a problem, but I have to force upgrade from Froyo to GB because my service provider isn't updating the OS on my G2X yet. I got time off in a couple of weeks, perhaps I'll experiment around then.... just a bit afraid I might brick my phone.
SoraX64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 SoraX64
Member since 2008 • 29221 Posts
I'll run CM9 once I can get betas/nightlies for my Evo, but for now I'm running a prealpha from another developer.
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 mystic_knight
Member since 2003 • 13801 Posts
[QUOTE="Loegi"]Is this allowed now? I have been looking to install this on my Desire Z, but it's quite a hassle apparently. So I will do it when I have got a free afternoon.

If the users can keep it piracy free, we are more than happy to allow discussions of custom UI and FW. If they start discussing illegal activities we will again stop discussion of this. Its up to you guys.
Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Rikusaki
[QUOTE="mystic_knight"][QUOTE="Loegi"]Is this allowed now? I have been looking to install this on my Desire Z, but it's quite a hassle apparently. So I will do it when I have got a free afternoon.

If the users can keep it piracy free, we are more than happy to allow discussions of custom UI and FW. If they start discussing illegal activities we will again stop discussion of this. Its up to you guys.

Awesome. Thank you! ^_^
semianonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 semianonymous

[QUOTE="Loegi"]Is this allowed now? I have been looking to install this on my Desire Z, but it's quite a hassle apparently. So I will do it when I have got a free afternoon.mystic_knight

Sounds fair.

I'm really tempted to do this, but I just got my phone and it's locked. Unlocking it isn't a problem, but I have to force upgrade from Froyo to GB because my service provider isn't updating the OS on my G2X yet. I got time off in a couple of weeks, perhaps I'll experiment around then.... just a bit afraid I might brick my phone.flipin_jackass

As a fellow G2X owner, let me first tell you that, yes, this phone is much better with CM7. Let me then tell you that it is extremely easy to root. Let me further tell you that you will still be sad when a stock GSII outperforms your overclocked, custom rom/kernel phone. LG knows how to make a cheap, low end phone. Unfortunately, that same philosophy carries over when it comes to making a high end one. I really wish I hadn't bought this thing.

flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 flipin_jackass

As a fellow G2X owner, let me first tell you that, yes, this phone is much better with CM7. Let me then tell you that it is extremely easy to root. Let me further tell you that you will still be sad when a stock GSII outperforms your overclocked, custom rom/kernel phone. LG knows how to make a cheap, low end phone. Unfortunately, that same philosophy carries over when it comes to making a high end one. I really wish I hadn't bought this thing.

semianonymous
Well that blows. I did see the GSII; my co-worker has it and we compared side by side. It's definitely a lot better in terms of performance and features. A few reviews I came across when I was shopping around said it (GSII) was just marginally better... I'm realizing it's actually quite a bit better. Still, one has to start off somewhere plus I got it for $0.
semianonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 semianonymous

Don't get me wrong, the G2X is by no means a bad phone; its simply not a great phone. I came from a G1 and Nexus One, I'm used to really stellar phones. Lets be honest here, by todays standards the G1 and N1 aren't that great but by the standards that they were released to, the G1 was outstanding and the N1 was practically a revolution in and of itself. By comparison, the G2X was a rather boring device. While it was was indeed the first dual core phone, it was rushed to get that title and swiftly outclassed. It doesn't have a unique design, its screen is iffy, its huge and wastes space in a way that would make the iPhone proud. Hell, its even struggling to get updates when its running stock android. There is no reason for these problems!

CM7 fixes the vast majority of the bugs. It is smoother, faster, less crashy, adds some much needed functionality (the capacitive buttons now double as notification lights, for example), and generally makes it feel much more acceptable in comparison to other, more recently released devices. Battery life is much better as well (although the battery drivers are funky, it'll report from 30 to 80% an hour after you unplug it--but it then stablizes about 3 hours after unplugging). Basically, if you have a G2X, there is simply no reason to not to root/rom the suck out of it.

Xeogua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Xeogua
Member since 2010 • 1542 Posts

I just wish that somebody would find a way to port it to the Razr, I'm running DroidTh3ory's Razrx rom right now, but I really want stock Android on it.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts
[QUOTE="Loegi"]Is this allowed now? I have been looking to install this on my Desire Z, but it's quite a hassle apparently. So I will do it when I have got a free afternoon.

It's always been legal. Android is open source. You can do whatever you want to it.
UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts

Running CM7 on a Galaxy S2, removed ADW and went with Go Launcher.. I recommend people enable surface dithering if they have a powerful enough phone. It renders the screen in a much nicer way!
I also recommend that you install Chainfire 3d, seeing as gta 3 wont be available on most devices (Tegra2 only) this is a nice workaround :)SPBoss

+1 on Go Launcher. Best launcher by far.

Loegi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Loegi
Member since 2009 • 1692 Posts
[QUOTE="UssjTrunks"][QUOTE="Loegi"]Is this allowed now? I have been looking to install this on my Desire Z, but it's quite a hassle apparently. So I will do it when I have got a free afternoon.

It's always been legal. Android is open source. You can do whatever you want to it.

I knew that, but it wasn't allowed to discuss it on these forums. Kinda stupid we couldn't discuss it, but I'm sure they had their reasons. Great we can discuss it now, I bet there are plenty of people seeking help or advice on this stuff.
SPBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SPBoss

[QUOTE="SPBoss"]Running CM7 on a Galaxy S2, removed ADW and went with Go Launcher.. I recommend people enable surface dithering if they have a powerful enough phone. It renders the screen in a much nicer way!
I also recommend that you install Chainfire 3d, seeing as gta 3 wont be available on most devices (Tegra2 only) this is a nice workaround :)UssjTrunks

Next up will be Ice Cream Sandwich with CM7 :D

Btw guys I just tried my friends Galaxy Nexus.. its slow and lags with the latest firmware, it does have a nice screen though it doesn't match a Galaxy S2

flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 flipin_jackass

Don't get me wrong, the G2X is by no means a bad phone; its simply not a great phone. I came from a G1 and Nexus One, I'm used to really stellar phones. Lets be honest here, by todays standards the G1 and N1 aren't that great but by the standards that they were released to, the G1 was outstanding and the N1 was practically a revolution in and of itself. By comparison, the G2X was a rather boring device. While it was was indeed the first dual core phone, it was rushed to get that title and swiftly outclassed. It doesn't have a unique design, its screen is iffy, its huge and wastes space in a way that would make the iPhone proud. Hell, its even struggling to get updates when its running stock android. There is no reason for these problems!

CM7 fixes the vast majority of the bugs. It is smoother, faster, less crashy, adds some much needed functionality (the capacitive buttons now double as notification lights, for example), and generally makes it feel much more acceptable in comparison to other, more recently released devices. Battery life is much better as well (although the battery drivers are funky, it'll report from 30 to 80% an hour after you unplug it--but it then stablizes about 3 hours after unplugging). Basically, if you have a G2X, there is simply no reason to not to root/rom the suck out of it.

semianonymous
As a PC gamer, I'm quite familiar with squeezing every last Hz of the hardware so I'm definitely going to mod/root the hell out of this baby.
semianonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 semianonymous

[QUOTE="UssjTrunks"]

[QUOTE="SPBoss"]

Btw guys I just tried my friends Galaxy Nexus.. its slow and lags with the latest firmware, it does have a nice screen though it doesn't match a Galaxy S2

SPBoss

dude, what? I've used a nexus, it flies, and every video I've seen of it flies like no ones business.

[QUOTE="semianonymous"]

flipin_jackass

As a PC gamer, I'm quite familiar with squeezing every last Hz of the hardware so I'm definitely going to mod/root the hell out of this baby.

Overclocking is a life saver for this guy. I clock it to 1408mhz, its a notable improvement.

semianonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 semianonymous

[QUOTE="UssjTrunks"]

[QUOTE="SPBoss"]

SPBoss

dude, what? I've used a nexus, it flies, and every video I've seen of it flies like no ones business.

[QUOTE="semianonymous"]

flipin_jackass

Overclocking is a life saver for this guy. I clock it to 1408mhz, its a notable improvement.

flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 flipin_jackass
Does it create any heating issues? I've noticed some games already runs the phone pretty warm, so I could only imagine if it was OC'd.
Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Rikusaki
Does it create any heating issues? I've noticed some games already runs the phone pretty warm, so I could only imagine if it was OC'd.flipin_jackass
I have my Atrix (Tegra 2) clocked at 1450MHz. It gets pretty warm, but it's designed to reboot when it overheats, which is why we can't OC it any further. The difference in performance is huge. Everything is so snappy and butter smooth. It's like a completely different device.
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mystic_knight
[QUOTE="flipin_jackass"]Does it create any heating issues? I've noticed some games already runs the phone pretty warm, so I could only imagine if it was OC'd.Rikusaki
I have my Atrix (Tegra 2) clocked at 1450MHz. It gets pretty warm, but it's designed to reboot when it overheats, which is why we can't OC it any further. The difference in performance is huge. Everything is so snappy and butter smooth. It's like a completely different device.

I had nothing but problems when i tried to put cyanogen on my desire hd, now i have the sensation XL sense 3.5 (2.3.5) on it, also someone has released ice cream sandwich for the desire hd, i wasn't keen on moving up to it.
semianonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 semianonymous

Does it create any heating issues? I've noticed some games already runs the phone pretty warm, so I could only imagine if it was OC'd.flipin_jackass

Yes. In the handy-dandy setCPU app, make sure you make settings for if your phone overheats. Here's how mine is currently set up:

40.8 is more a random shot in the dark for temperatures, but it works out. Honestly, this setup works pretty amazingly, I'd recommend using it. Don't ask how that 19 min/max got there though. I really don't know how I got that.

Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
If you were to install such mod, would there be a way to revert to the stock OS in case of anything?
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mystic_knight
If you were to install such mod, would there be a way to revert to the stock OS in case of anything?the_ChEeSe_mAn2
I believe there may be, clockwork mod should allow you to put any FW back on. just need to find the .zipfile for your original FW. You will lose the scheduled search function that comes preinstalled on your OS.
semianonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 semianonymous

If you were to install such mod, would there be a way to revert to the stock OS in case of anything?the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Yes. Its extremely easy to remove remove root from most phones, and even easier to revert to stock.

Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
[QUOTE="the_ChEeSe_mAn2"]If you were to install such mod, would there be a way to revert to the stock OS in case of anything?mystic_knight
I believe there may be, clockwork mod should allow you to put any FW back on. just need to find the .zipfile for your original FW. You will lose the scheduled search function that comes preinstalled on your OS.

What do you mean the 'scheduled search function'?
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mystic_knight
[QUOTE="mystic_knight"][QUOTE="the_ChEeSe_mAn2"]If you were to install such mod, would there be a way to revert to the stock OS in case of anything?the_ChEeSe_mAn2

What do you mean the 'scheduled search function'?

On your Original firmware in 'about phone' it has a feature to search for updates, when you root your phone and apply a custom FW that option no longer exists. But from what semianonymous is saying there is a way to put the fw back as if nothing had occured.... i never really looked into bringing it back to its original state since i have enjoyed my sense 3.5 update. I know when rooted you are able to put any FW you wish thanks to clockwork mod. Im sure places like XDA developers have guides on how to revert to original FW.
SPBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SPBoss

[QUOTE="UssjTrunks"]

[QUOTE="SPBoss"]Running CM7 on a Galaxy S2, removed ADW and went with Go Launcher.. I recommend people enable surface dithering if they have a powerful enough phone. It renders the screen in a much nicer way!
I also recommend that you install Chainfire 3d, seeing as gta 3 wont be available on most devices (Tegra2 only) this is a nice workaround :)SPBoss

its not as responsive as a Galaxy S2 with CM7.. it doesn't feel as fluid

calebcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 calebcop
Member since 2009 • 889 Posts

So I guess talking about rooting your phone is allowed on GS? I thought it wasnt. I guess thats because its Open Source. Anyone know a good begginners guide I can use to root my Samsung Galaxy Player? I've been wanting to look into considering I love technology and this is the field I want to go into to.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Tempted to put it on my ZTE Blade for overclocking and apps2sd.

QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 QuistisTrepe_
Member since 2010 • 4121 Posts

Gamespot has really loosened up if this topic is now allowed.

QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 QuistisTrepe_

I'm kind of riding out my first Android experience. It's nice and all, but CM9 sounds nice on a Rezound. I need to look more into the pros and cons of rooting before I go all-in. Things like purchased apps, access to Market, compatibilities, etc.

semianonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 semianonymous

I'm kind of riding out my first Android experience. It's nice and all, but CM9 sounds nice on a Rezound. I need to look more into the pros and cons of rooting before I go all-in. Things like purchased apps, access to Market, compatibilities, etc.

QuistisTrepe_

CM7 is stock android with some awesome tweaks. All of your market access, paid apps, etc, are still available the instant the phone boots up from a successful flash, provided you also flashed the google apps, easily obtained from wherever you might have obtained your rom. Your compatability to games and apps should remain unchanged between stock android and CM7/9.

QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 QuistisTrepe_

[QUOTE="QuistisTrepe_"]

semianonymous

CM7 is stock android with some awesome tweaks. All of your market access, paid apps, etc, are still available the instant the phone boots up from a successful flash, provided you also flashed the google apps, easily obtained from wherever you might have obtained your rom. Your compatability to games and apps should remain unchanged between stock android and CM7/9.

I'm most interested in getting the most potential out of my new phone while ridding myself of the bloat. Everytime I see those crappy Verizon apps and the Blockbuster icon my jaws tighten.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 mystic_knight

[QUOTE="semianonymous"]

[QUOTE="QuistisTrepe_"]

QuistisTrepe_

I'm nost interested in getting the most potential out of my new phone while ridding myself of the bloat. Everytime those crappy Verizon apps and the Blockbuster icon my jaws tighten.

Definitely root your phone, quadrant increased from 1600 to 2100 simply from an overclock, imagine what you can overclock the 1.5ghz dual core. not just that all the crap ware no longer exists.
QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 QuistisTrepe_

[QUOTE="QuistisTrepe_"]

[QUOTE="semianonymous"]

mystic_knight

I'm nost interested in getting the most potential out of my new phone while ridding myself of the bloat. Everytime those crappy Verizon apps and the Blockbuster icon my jaws tighten.

Definitely root your phone, quadrant increased from 1600 to 2100 simply from an overclock, imagine what you can overclock the 1.5ghz dual core. not just that all the crap ware no longer exists.

I'll have to wait. The Rezound only has a temp root at this time. I just need to be patient.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 mystic_knight

[QUOTE="mystic_knight"][QUOTE="QuistisTrepe_"]

QuistisTrepe_

I'll have to wait. The Rezound only has a temp root at this time. I just need to be patient.

Yeh it'll be worth it :)
IvanElk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 IvanElk
Member since 2008 • 3798 Posts
So to the people talking about unrooting: If you for whatever reason need to send your phone in easiest way is boot into recovery and factory reset it.
Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Rikusaki

A CM9 test build was released for the Atrix 4G! Android 4.0! ICS! Yay! :3

I'm so excited to flash this.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 mystic_knight

Rikusaki
I played with the galaxy nexus and ICS and all i have to say is Sense >>>>>>>>>>>>> Vanilla ICS, i cant wait till htc play with the new OS.
SPBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SPBoss
Can anyone help me, I can only overclock my Galaxy S2 by 200mhz increments, eg. 1.0ghz, 1.2ghz, 1.4ghz, 1.6ghz i am sure there is a way I can increase in smaller increments, im running CM7.1 btw help me out guys :)
SoraX64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#47 SoraX64
Member since 2008 • 29221 Posts
[QUOTE="Rikusaki"]

mystic_knight
I played with the galaxy nexus and ICS and all i have to say is Sense >>>>>>>>>>>>> Vanilla ICS, i cant wait till htc play with the new OS.

:lol: No. I've always been a huge advocate for Sense, but it is not better than ICS. Sense is a bogged down resource hog that looks good and has good features. Vanilla ICS is fast, looks good, and has most of the same features. This is HTC playing with ICS, and it's f***ing terrible.
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 mystic_knight

[QUOTE="mystic_knight"][QUOTE="Rikusaki"]

SoraX64

:lol: No. I've always been a huge advocate for Sense, but it is not better than ICS. Sense is a bogged down resource hog that looks good and has good features. Vanilla ICS is fast, looks good, and has most of the same features. This is HTC playing with ICS, and it's f***ing terrible.

:cry: the bottom bar is ugly...... WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Rikusaki

I just got ICS. It's beautiful. The transition animation between screens is so satisfying. The notification bar is butter smooth and the new sound effects are so cute and pretty. The new Roboto font makes everything look nice.

And the lockscreen is amazing.

I love it.