• 149 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 mystic_knight
Member since 2003 • 13801 Posts

Hey dudes,

A thread where anything is discussable but we have to keep it friendly or else my green robot will chew your apple on the other side too! :P

SO!!!!!

I have terrible news, i swapped my beautiful One XL for a week with my mates iPhone 4s...

How do i get widgets on my home screeen, its frustrating me!!!! Its so plain and boring, i need excitement and beautiful weather display on my home screen!!

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#2 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
You don't get widgets on iOS (yet). ;)

Just pull down on the screen for weather information. Or look outside. :P

At least that iPhone 4S is properly optimized (or rather, optimized at all) for both the cores in the processor.
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mystic_knight
:P its only optimised for simple UI, nothing extravagant. I got bored of using the phone after 2 minutes :(. Its not flashy like Sense UI is.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 musicalmac  Moderator
Substance over flash, my friend. It's not all about the way it's optimized for the UI. It's for all apps and processes. That iPhone 4S you're borrowing is the model of efficiency. If you're bored of the phone, hit up the App Store. I know you aren't used to such a high quality, robust app lineup. ;)
CircuitLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 CircuitLord
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Substance over flash, my friend. It's not all about the way it's optimized for the UI. It's for all apps and processes. That iPhone 4S you're borrowing is the model of efficiency. If you're bored of the phone, hit up the App Store. I know you aren't used to such a high quality, robust app lineup. ;)musicalmac
No offence but you seriously sound like you've been brainwashed by Apple. Try to be a little more unbiased.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 musicalmac  Moderator
No offence but you seriously sound like you've been brainwashed by Apple. Try to be a little more unbiased. CircuitLord
Which part?
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mystic_knight
[QUOTE="musicalmac"]Substance over flash, my friend. It's not all about the way it's optimized for the UI. It's for all apps and processes. That iPhone 4S you're borrowing is the model of efficiency. If you're bored of the phone, hit up the App Store. I know you aren't used to such a high quality, robust app lineup. ;)CircuitLord
No offence but you seriously sound like you've been brainwashed by Apple. Try to be a little more unbiased.

Maybe i should do the week challenge with him too! :P @mm The app store i experienced i got my dad an iPad before.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 musicalmac  Moderator
@mm The app store i experienced i got my dad an iPad before. mystic_knight
Well what do you do on your One XL then? Just play with the UI?
mjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mjc  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 12723 Posts
[QUOTE="mystic_knight"]@mm The app store i experienced i got my dad an iPad before. musicalmac

Probably downloaded the iPhone theme :P
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mystic_knight
[QUOTE="musicalmac"][QUOTE="mystic_knight"]@mm The app store i experienced i got my dad an iPad before. mjc

Probably downloaded the iPhone theme :P

Hahaha lol. No mm it actually customises to how i would use the phone, my screens are all designed to suit my needs not the phones needs. I have a calender widgegt for my appointments, the time and weather widget for its pretty animations :P and usefulness of course. Music playing widget to easily skip tracks and control music. Its designed for me, thats something you can never got on a simple UI like the iPhone. as much as i dislike WP7 its still more customisable than the iPhone, also its not as smooth as you guys make it out, my One xl is more responsive than the iPhone, the screen is larger and more easier to use. Less errors are made on the One XL. there's no back button like the android phones have, you don't know how useful that button is... My first impressions are not good for the iPhone. I will definitely blog my experiences. But i am fairly certain this has reassured my beliefs, i don't think i'll convert.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 musicalmac  Moderator
[QUOTE="mystic_knight"]Hahaha lol. No mm it actually customises to how i would use the phone, my screens are all designed to suit my needs not the phones needs. I have a calender widgegt for my appointments, the time and weather widget for its pretty animations :P and usefulness of course. Music playing widget to easily skip tracks and control music. Its designed for me, thats something you can never got on a simple UI like the iPhone. as much as i dislike WP7 its still more customisable than the iPhone, also its not as smooth as you guys make it out, my One xl is more responsive than the iPhone, the screen is larger and more easier to use. Less errors are made on the One XL. there's no back button like the android phones have, you don't know how useful that button is... My first impressions are not good for the iPhone. I will definitely blog my experiences. But i am fairly certain this has reassured my beliefs, i don't think i'll convert.

Could just be a case of different strokes for different folks, though I'll never understand it. Google is an ad company that made an iOS clone. There's no passion there. I suppose some of the differences between iOS and Android are subjective, but not on the things that count (in my eyes).
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mystic_knight
In the end it doesn't matter if they are an ad company or a cleaning company making an Os, if the end result is something great, its worth crediting. I fail to see an iOS clone in android UI, but i do see many designs taken from android onto iOS, Notifications is taken on board and from the sound of things you are convinced that iOS will take on widgets too! In the end if they can learn good things of each other, we all benefit, but when lawsuits get involved we all lose.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 musicalmac  Moderator
[QUOTE="mystic_knight"]In the end it doesn't matter if they are an ad company or a cleaning company making an Os, if the end result is something great, its worth crediting. I fail to see an iOS clone in android UI, but i do see many designs taken from android onto iOS, Notifications is taken on board and from the sound of things you are convinced that iOS will take on widgets too! In the end if they can learn good things of each other, we all benefit, but when lawsuits get involved we all lose.

[spoiler]  Blackberry clone before, iOS clone after. [/spoiler]

I'm not sure whether or not iOS will take on widgets like you see on Android. I imagine them opening the OS more to allow developers to create "widgets" for the notification pull-down menu, or accessible by clicking the home button twice (or swiping over to, or tapping the magnifier) the search screen and housing widgets as banners there.
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mystic_knight
[spoiler] iphone 2007  Tungsten t5 (Palm OS) 2004  [/spoiler]
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 musicalmac  Moderator
So you're really going to stick to your guns and say the iPhone had no effect on Android's development?... [spoiler]

Released three years before the first Palm Pilot. Apple had been developing this since 1987. [/spoiler]
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mystic_knight
No its not what i said, the original arguement of yours was that android was an iOS clone. I said i fail to see how its a clone, if it improved its functionality by using icons and going capacitive touch screen it doesn't make it a clone. Yes android may have been influenced by apple. But my pic was to identify to you that apple were not really the pioneers either, Apple notoriously steal a good idea and utilise it, hence why i showed you the palm OS which was years older than iOS. What is important is that both android and iOS are booming by learning off each other (some want to freaking bring patents on the line and destroy other companies). Our phones today by either OS are feature packed and do more things than one could have ever dreamed of, but some do it better (HTC ;), and some don't Apple :P). My blog is complete so i will post it soon. You will see my day 1 experience. Don't worry my mate will also do a blog based on his experiences, from what he tells me he is equally as dissatisfied.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 musicalmac  Moderator
[QUOTE="mystic_knight"]No its not what i said, the original arguement of yours was that android was an iOS clone. I said i fail to see how its a clone, if it improved its functionality by using icons and going capacitive touch screen it doesn't make it a clone. Yes android may have been influenced by apple. But my pic was to identify to you that apple were not really the pioneers either, Apple notoriously steal a good idea and utilise it, hence why i showed you the palm OS which was years older than iOS. What is important is that both android and iOS are booming by learning off each other (some want to freaking bring patents on the line and destroy other companies). Our phones today by either OS are feature packed and do more things than one could have ever dreamed of, but some do it better (HTC ;), and some don't Apple :P). My blog is complete so i will post it soon. You will see my day 1 experience. Don't worry my mate will also do a blog based on his experiences, from what he tells me he is equally as dissatisfied.

I appreciate your spirit of competition and appreciating the way companies push each other. The difference is that Google took direct IP from Apple and decided to make their own phone OS. Steve Jobs didn't want to go thermonuclear on Android for nothing, something he wasn't quoted for saying about Windows Phone 7 or WebOS.

Microsoft did the right thing when they decided to do their own R&D and conceptualize their own unique OS (Windows Phone 7), which is absolutely different and unique to other options out there. While it's not my favorite OS, I do appreciate their willingness to do the work. Android is like a half-baked ad revenue machine, and that's not only evident by looking at the company that created it (in the manner in which they created it), but also by looking at available apps. It's just not interesting or exciting.

If you like to tinker and play with every little iota of your device, I can understand wanting a handset made by someone other than Apple. I'm just not interested in what I consider to be the meaningless stuff.
mjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mjc  Moderator

Lots of Android chatter on this iOS board...

Anyway, I jumped on to say that I found a glitch that may interest some. I was having a problem with the new iPad where the home button was working intermittently. I sent it back to Apple, but they couldn't find a problem. Sure enough, it was fine when it came back. Yesterday, it started again! However, it was while docked and connected to a power source. It's perfectly fine while not docked, but has issues while sitting there pretty. I thought I'd share in case anyone else was having the problem.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mystic_knight

Lots of Android chatter on this iOS board...

Anyway, I jumped on to say that I found a glitch that may interest some. I was having a problem with the new iPad where the home button was working intermittently. I sent it back to Apple, but they couldn't find a problem. Sure enough, it was fine when it came back. Yesterday, it started again! However, it was while docked and connected to a power source. It's perfectly fine while not docked, but has issues while sitting there pretty. I thought I'd share in case anyone else was having the problem.

mjc

Actually when i complete my blog on the 7th day when my week will be completed i will list the great things about iOS, those include peripheral support such as docks and accessories. Thats one thing i can truly appreciate on the device, obviously due to high demand of the device, these features become prevalent, but it does enhance the phones attractiveness.

Have you tried another idevice on the dock to see if it has the same issue?

I got a nice flashy bluetooth keyboard (aluminium frame from ebay for $29) Works nice as a stand and a keyboard and clips in to protect the screen, thought it was a genius idea.

Hey Mj would you ever develop stuff, I'm still thinking of ideas, me and my mate want to develop for iOS and android. I just thought, all it takes is a great idea and it gets you thousands. Look at the silly game angry birds or the draw something game... they are like millionaires for something simple.

mjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mjc  Moderator

Actually when i complete my blog on the 7th day when my week will be completed i will list the great things about iOS, those include peripheral support such as docks and accessories. Thats one thing i can truly appreciate on the device, obviously due to high demand of the device, these features become prevalent, but it does enhance the phones attractiveness.

Have you tried another idevice on the dock to see if it has the same issue?

I got a nice flashy bluetooth keyboard (aluminium frame from ebay for $29) Works nice as a stand and a keyboard and clips in to protect the screen, thought it was a genius idea.

Hey Mj would you ever develop stuff, I'm still thinking of ideas, me and my mate want to develop for iOS and android. I just thought, all it takes is a great idea and it gets you thousands. Look at the silly game angry birds or the draw something game... they are like millionaires for something simple.

mystic_knight

I'm using a generic dock, so it's probably my fault for being cheap.

I've created a few programs and functions for my research, which others may find handy. However, I don't think I'd be able to invest the time into turning it into an app. It would be nice if all it took was an idea, but there's a little more to it!

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mystic_knight

I'm using a generic dock, so it's probably my fault for being cheap.

I've created a few programs and functions for my research, which others may find handy. However, I don't think I'd be able to invest the time into turning it into an app. It would be nice if all it took was an idea, but there's a little more to it!

mjc
Of course its going to take more than a great idea, but thats a great start to success. I suppose you will never know how truly successful it is until you launch it.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#22 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

Iphone 4 not getting the apple maps and free navigation, so much for the great apple support. What is the point of having the latest version when you dont get it's biggest feature? Iphone 4 was restricted access to siri as well for no reason. While the likes of samsung and HTC do this as well but google doesnt. So as far as I am concerned google nexus support >>> iphone support.

The new ipad getting siri but the ipad 2 isnt. Typical move again like what android OEMs are criticized for doing, not bringing the latest software to old phones to force people to buy new hardware.

The original ipad not getting an update at all.

Suffice it to say the apple iOS product software support is not all it's made up to be.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts

Iphone 4 not getting the apple maps and free navigation, so much for the great apple support. What is the point of having the latest version when you dont get it's biggest feature? Iphone 4 was restricted access to siri as well for no reason. While the likes of samsung and HTC do this as well but google doesnt. So as far as I am concerned google nexus support >>> iphone support.

The new ipad getting siri but the ipad 2 isnt. Typical move again like what android OEMs are criticized for doing, not bringing the latest software to old phones to force people to buy new hardware.

The original ipad not getting an update at all.

Suffice it to say the apple iOS product software support is not all it's made up to be.

Gambler_3
Except that you're assuming: Apple support device = geting apple maps. Which is not the case at all.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Gambler_3

Apple support device = geting apple maps. Which is not the case at all.DroidPhysX
Hmm what??

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DroidPhysX

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"] Apple support device = geting apple maps. Which is not the case at all.Gambler_3

Hmm what??

You're thinking that the fact that the iPhone 4 isn't getting the maps app, therefore apple isn't supporting its devices. Which is not the case at all.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"] Apple support device = geting apple maps. Which is not the case at all.DroidPhysX

Hmm what??

You're thinking that the fact that the iPhone 4 isn't getting the maps app, therefore apple isn't supporting its devices. Which is not the case at all.

Hmm I never said that. The support is not good that is the point.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mystic_knight
Wednesday can't come soon enough, i was so uninterested in the device yesterday that the only time i touched it was to take it to work and answer a few phone calls. :( I feel a depression hanging over my shoulders. I want my phone back. I think it this trial has made me more distant from iOS than ever. Like the saying goes, you don't know what you got till its gone.
mjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mjc  Moderator

Wednesday can't come soon enough, i was so uninterested in the device yesterday that the only time i touched it was to take it to work and answer a few phone calls. :( I feel a depression hanging over my shoulders. I want my phone back. I think it this trial has made me more distant from iOS than ever. Like the saying goes, you don't know what you got till its gone.mystic_knight
I thought you were a connoisseur like me?

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mystic_knight

Ive got the iPad 2, but nothing can replace my phone. Honestly i've never felt so upset in my life. This is more depressing than the day my mother left home.

Just so i can put it in perspective, my phone will always be my android device, my tablet im more than happy making it an apple device, it just works that way quite well for me.

mjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mjc  Moderator

Ive got the iPad 2, but nothing can replace my phone. Honestly i've never felt so upset in my life. This is more depressing than the day my mother left home.

Just so i can put it in perspective, my phone will always be my android device, my tablet im more than happy making it an apple device, it just works that way quite well for me.

mystic_knight

Haha, you're a shocker :P

I think you really need to integrate your phone into your daily tech life. When I moved to the competition, it took a few weeks before I was really comfortable with the move. I don't think I would have been convinced if someone lent it to me for a week. It's hard to make a change when you're used to something.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DroidPhysX

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"][QUOTE="Gambler_3"]Hmm what??

Gambler_3

Hmm I never said that. The support is not good that is the point.

The support is not good because they omitted one feature? Splitting hairs
deleteduser198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deleteduser198
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

Exclusive games. Exclusive apps. Unrivaled stability. Unmatched 1st, 2nd and 3rd party support. Uncontested billion-dollar after-market accessory industry catered to Apple. Astounding online community. Seamless multi-class inter-device connectivity.

80% of iOS owners are on iOS5. 7.1% of Android owners are on Android 4.0 (which makes it safe to assume only 7 percent of Android owners are actually power-users with technical expertise, as opposed to the millions of lower-class folk saving money by buying a $20-$50 Android brick). REAL Impressive numbers there, Google :roll:

Unification > Fragmentation (as made apparent with previous updated-user percentile).

"No FLASH!" - 2007. 2012: Flash is being phased out.

"No functionality!" - 2007. 2012: The best function-providing apps are either made for iOS first and released on Android a year or two later, or completely iOS exclusive.

"No physical keyboard or buttons!" - 2007. 2012: Only few lower-end or half-baked devices stubbornly cling to physical keyboards.

Apple won already... They won about five years ago. When will people realize that iOS and the iPhone has accomplished in the mobile space what only Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony could lustfully dream of? Never. Because people are too busy playing with their UI's instead of enjoying actual substance.

/debate

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 mystic_knight
Flash is still very important. For people like my father flash is the most important feature on a device, if the iPad didn't have puffin browser im sure he would have been really pissed off with it. Here is the way i see it for the mobile phone world, Android is a master of designing a smart phone, iOS is a master of designing a phone that is compatible with other multimedia devices (e.g car stereo systems, Docks and unification exclusivity in the apple world [apple tv,iCloud etc]). It's unrivalled in that department. To get the best out of android, all you need is the phone, to get the best out of iOS it may require you to invest into other peripherals.

Haha, you're a shocker :P

I think you really need to integrate your phone into your daily tech life. When I moved to the competition, it took a few weeks before I was really comfortable with the move. I don't think I would have been convinced if someone lent it to me for a week. It's hard to make a change when you're used to something.

mjc
I think you are right that i need more than one week, but i think i may consider this trial again should apple increase the size of the screen, as of right now, the screen is the most annoying feature of the device, it makes no sense to have stuck with a 3.5" screen, Heres hoping they wake up and put a 4.3" in their new iPhone, Things are looking like its a 4" still better than what they currently have.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Gambler_3

The support is not good because they omitted one feature? Splitting hairsDroidPhysX
Apple OS updates only have a few noteworthy features to begin with, omitting the biggest feature is like a getting a 0.5 update.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Gambler_3

iOS is years behind android in terms of functionality and ease of use.

There is no back button and applications have no consistent use of where they place the back button. It can pop up anywhere depending on the application and is hugely annoying.

In the app store there is nothing showing the progress of a download, you have to go all the way back to the homescreen icon of the app to see the progress how ridiculous. In android it shows the progress right there and also in the notification center so you see check it out from anywhere.

The keyboard has no haptic feedback and there is no such thing as a third party keyboard. I for one cannot enjoy typing without feedback and I have tried. On android I get dozens of different vibration levels that I can keep for the keyboard.

There is no way to automatically set the app icons to arrange themselves alphabetically. Once again the android way of having separate homescreens for most frequently used shortcuts and a separate alphabetical app drawer trumps it big time. iOS is such a clutter, I want to see more of my wallpaper not a bunch of fat icons blocking it.

I could go on really iOS almost feels like a dark ages OS compared to android gingerbread let alone ICS. The only redeeming factor is the quality of apps and accessories. The quality of the games is let down by the size of the screen.

At least that iPhone 4S is properly optimized (or rather, optimized at all) for both the cores in the processor. musicalmac
Galaxy S2 released several months before the 4S and also featuring a dual core CPU beats it in browsing speed. Sure you have better optimized apps but if you think your OS is somehow magically optimized and other companies are clueless then please wake up.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mystic_knight

I think earlier today i went through some sort of emotional breakdown,over a phone, pretty silly aye!

Anyway, i didn't create this thread to make an arguement for either side, i did it to get ideas on how to enhance my iOS experience. I think i went over the hard stage of adjusting to a new phone. The screen size is crippling but im more than happy to use it for the rest of the week.

One thing i have found for certain is that iOS and Android are both far superior to windows phone 7 and Research in Motion. Hopefully windows phone 8 will improve their restrictions and actually make it a great contender.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Gambler_3

I so hate the metro interface unless that can be changed I aint ever considering a windows phone. iOS interface is better than windows, microsoft shouldnt have tried so hard to be original. Side scrolling is just so much more natural than vertical scrolling.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DroidPhysX

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"] The support is not good because they omitted one feature? Splitting hairsGambler_3

Apple OS updates only have a few noteworthy features to begin with, omitting the biggest feature is like a getting a 0.5 update.

200+ new features Down to 199, somehow equates to half an update. :?
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"] The support is not good because they omitted one feature? Splitting hairsDroidPhysX

Oh comon most of those features arent even a fraction as meaningful.

userzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 userzero
Member since 2008 • 167 Posts

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"][QUOTE="Gambler_3"]Apple OS updates only have a few noteworthy features to begin with, omitting the biggest feature is like a getting a 0.5 update.

Gambler_3

How far back should they go in their hardware lineup before you'd be happy? The Apple Newton?

Go back to your vibrating keyboard.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Gambler_3

How far back should they go in their hardware lineup before you'd be happy? The Apple Newton?

userzero

Iphone 4 is only the last gen flagship, google fully supports the nexus S which is also a last gen flagship.

They dont have to go back anywhere to include voice navigation and siri in iphone 4, it's hardware is fully capable of it. They are just locking it out of it to make the 4S seem more appealing. The point is apple users have always criticized android OEMs for doing that when apple itself is doing the same thing. ;)

userzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 userzero
Member since 2008 • 167 Posts

[QUOTE="userzero"]

Gambler_3

Iphone 4 is only the last gen flagship, google fully supports the nexus S which is also a last gen flagship.

They dont have to go back anywhere to include voice navigation and siri in iphone 4, it's hardware is fully capable of it. They are just locking it out of it to make the 4S seem more appealing. The point is apple users have always criticized android OEMs for doing that when apple itself is doing the same thing. ;)

Oh I see, now that Apple have done similar you're jumping at the chance to criticize them. Feel better? Now go find every other Apple forum and post the same so all Apple fans can experience your awesomeness.

deleteduser198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deleteduser198

iOS is years behind android in terms of functionality and ease of use.

There is no back button and applications have no consistent use of where they place the back button. It can pop up anywhere depending on the application and is hugely annoying.

In the app store there is nothing showing the progress of a download, you have to go all the way back to the homescreen icon of the app to see the progress how ridiculous. In android it shows the progress right there and also in the notification center so you see check it out from anywhere.

The keyboard has no haptic feedback and there is no such thing as a third party keyboard. I for one cannot enjoy typing without feedback and I have tried. On android I get dozens of different vibration levels that I can keep for the keyboard.

There is no way to automatically set the app icons to arrange themselves alphabetically. Once again the android way of having separate homescreens for most frequently used shortcuts and a separate alphabetical app drawer trumps it big time. iOS is such a clutter, I want to see more of my wallpaper not a bunch of fat icons blocking it.

I could go on really iOS almost feels like a dark ages OS compared to android gingerbread let alone ICS. The only redeeming factor is the quality of apps and accessories. The quality of the games is let down by the size of the screen.

[QUOTE="musicalmac"]

At least that iPhone 4S is properly optimized (or rather, optimized at all) for both the cores in the processor. Gambler_3

Galaxy S2 released several months before the 4S and also featuring a dual core CPU beats it in browsing speed. Sure you have better optimized apps but if you think your OS is somehow magically optimized and other companies are clueless then please wake up.

Such a weak counter-argument. You're harping on minor UI discrepancies, which is ironic considering that Android's own UI is so ambiguous that carriers are allowed to mutate it into their own little monsters at their liking.

When a fandroid is whittled down to harping on inconsequential things like "download progress" it really goes to show just how much there is to do on an Android device and how much he's trying to avoid addressing shortcomings that REALLY matter.

Why don't you convert like some of your comrades from these forums already have? 7% of users on Android 4.0, with a dwindling 30% developer interest? GTFO. There's so few of you "power" users that I don't even know why you defend Android to your last dying breath. Even developers are abandoning ship. Nevermind that Apple is poised to enter their "end-game" later this year by omitting most of the features that Google RELIES on for most of their mobile profits. Google will be bleeding out their noses paying money to support an ecosystem they barely profit from, if even at all anymore.

You know what's in store for Google in the future? Mutiny. Amazon bastardized Android for their own use, completely separate from Google, does not pay a dime to Google, and what happened there? The kindle line is laughably the best selling Android based tablet, and this goes completely unaccredited to Google. I garauntee we'll be seeing another instance like this very very soon.

deleteduser198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deleteduser198
[QUOTE="mystic_knight"]Wednesday can't come soon enough, i was so uninterested in the device yesterday that the only time i touched it was to take it to work and answer a few phone calls. :( I feel a depression hanging over my shoulders. I want my phone back. I think it this trial has made me more distant from iOS than ever. Like the saying goes, you don't know what you got till its gone.

Gonna go ahead and just call BULL on this. My reason? It goes like this: "I've spent two weeks with a Galaxy Nexus Fantastic Nebula 8 and I miss my iPhone to death. I've come to realize that for the past five years I've been right all along about Google's inability to do anything noteworthy in the mobile space." See how easy it is to say stuff on the internet? I can sniff out your load-of-crock so easily, I'm surprised that no one else caught a whiff.
DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DroidPhysX

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"][QUOTE="Gambler_3"]Apple OS updates only have a few noteworthy features to begin with, omitting the biggest feature is like a getting a 0.5 update.

Gambler_3

In your opinion, yes?
deleteduser198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deleteduser198

Honestly, most of these ranting haters are just so butt-hurt that all their predictions and objections from five years ago fell completely apart.

"Touch screen? No buttons?" "Can't use for business!" "No flash, OMG!" "Gaming will never grow on a touchscreen!" "The gaming industry won't ever pay attention to an iPhone!" "FAD!" "Businesses won't ever use iOS!" "FAD!" "Hardly any programmers will support IOS!" "FAD" "Android will be the platform of choice for games!" "Every developer will be fighting each other just to code for Android!" "UNIFICATION?! EW!" "OPEN SOURCE RUUUULES!"

Fast forward half a decade, the most they can now say is:

"NO UI CUSTOMIZATION! WAAAAAAAH!" "NO DOWNLOAD PROGRESS INDICATOR?! I HAVE TO CLICK A BUTTON TO SEE IT?!! KITTEN DEATHS!!!!"

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 mystic_knight

[QUOTE="mystic_knight"]Wednesday can't come soon enough, i was so uninterested in the device yesterday that the only time i touched it was to take it to work and answer a few phone calls. :( I feel a depression hanging over my shoulders. I want my phone back. I think it this trial has made me more distant from iOS than ever. Like the saying goes, you don't know what you got till its gone.Kid-Atari
Gonna go ahead and just call BULL on this. My reason? It goes like this: "I've spent two weeks with a Galaxy Nexus Fantastic Nebula 8 and I miss my iPhone to death. I've come to realize that for the past five years I've been right all along about Google's inability to do anything noteworthy in the mobile space." See how easy it is to say stuff on the internet? I can sniff out your load-of-crock so easily, I'm surprised that no one else caught a whiff.

Excuse me but what!

Don't think you know me. If that's what you say on a daily living to get by don't associate your weakness and petty talk with my thoughts on my experiences. Because you like an iPhone you expect everyone else to like it. Get a reality check buddy.

You can sniff a "load-of-crock" easily... maybe you need to get your senses checked out because it seems a little faulty.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Gambler_3

Such a weak counter-argument. You're harping on minor UI discrepancies, which is ironic considering that Android's own UI is so ambiguous that carriers are allowed to mutate it into their own little monsters at their liking.

When a fandroid is whittled down to harping on inconsequential things like "download progress" it really goes to show just how much there is to do on an Android device and how much he's trying to avoid addressing shortcomings that REALLY matter.

Why don't you convert like some of your comrades from these forums already have? 7% of users on Android 4.0, with a dwindling 30% developer interest? GTFO. There's so few of you "power" users that I don't even know why you defend Android to your last dying breath. Even developers are abandoning ship. Nevermind that Apple is poised to enter their "end-game" later this year by omitting most of the features that Google RELIES on for most of their mobile profits. Google will be bleeding out their noses paying money to support an ecosystem they barely profit from, if even at all anymore.

You know what's in store for Google in the future? Mutiny. Amazon bastardized Android for their own use, completely separate from Google, does not pay a dime to Google, and what happened there? The kindle line is laughably the best selling Android based tablet, and this goes completely unaccredited to Google. I garauntee we'll be seeing another instance like this very very soon.

Kid-Atari

I dont buy carrier phones but wait which carrier alters the interface? They only include prioprietary apps, they dont do anything to the interface. If you want a pure android phone you know google makes one just for that purpose. :roll:

It's not a small thing considering how often things are downloaded on a smartphone. Little little things enhance the whole experience, the sum is greater than the parts.

At the time google said that there were still plenty of high end android phones that were waiting to get the ICS update. Sure that particular fact sucks but it doesnt mean there are very few people who buy high end phones, need I show galaxy S3 pre order numbers? :lol:

I dont see the dwindling interest, the android play store continues to grow.

Thats the whole point of open source anyone can do anything. Google is going to release their own tablet soon. iOS accounts for 2% of total profits for google which are mostly made from search, it doesnt hurt them in the slightest. If google cared they would have given iOS similar google maps functionality as it is on android but it seems like they didnt and so apple was forced to make their own maps.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Gambler_3

Honestly, most of these ranting haters are just so butt-hurt that all their predictions and objections from five years ago fell completely apart.

"Touch screen? No buttons?" "Can't use for business!" "No flash, OMG!" "Gaming will never grow on a touchscreen!" "The gaming industry won't ever pay attention to an iPhone!" "FAD!" "Businesses won't ever use iOS!" "FAD!" "Hardly any programmers will support IOS!" "FAD" "Android will be the platform of choice for games!" "Every developer will be fighting each other just to code for Android!" "UNIFICATION?! EW!" "OPEN SOURCE RUUUULES!"

Fast forward half a decade, the most they can now say is:

"NO UI CUSTOMIZATION! WAAAAAAAH!" "NO DOWNLOAD PROGRESS INDICATOR?! I HAVE TO CLICK A BUTTON TO SEE IT?!! KITTEN DEATHS!!!!"

Kid-Atari

Grasping for straws now are we. I didnt even use to follow the smartphone industry 5 years ago and I was always of the idea that handheld gaming should be on a mobile phone. Touch screen gaming still doesnt work well for quite a lot of games, try completing GTA3 on an iphone lol. We already see increasing support for external controllers on smartphones, obviously touch only input is never going to be the all-in one solution for gaming. Touch gaming is only popular because it's more portable.

Microsoft recently patented a smartphone with detachable controller, it's like a phone that can transform into a slim phone or thick gaming phone whenever you want. That idea can be revolutionary for gaming because the problem with an xperia play class of phone is that the bulk is permanently there even when you are not gaming.

deleteduser198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deleteduser198

[QUOTE="Kid-Atari"]

Gambler_3

At the time google said that there were still plenty of high end android phones that were waiting to get the ICS update. Sure that particular fact sucks but it doesnt mean there are very few people who buy high end phones, need I show galaxy S3 pre order numbers? :lol:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/05/18/us-samsung-idUSBRE84H00X20120518

"Everyone is talking about Samsung?s third-generation Galaxy smartphone and the extraordinary number of pre-orders the company received for the new device. It's bull.

The media is reporting that the company has already received 9 million pre-orders for the device. On the surface, that sounds impressive, but read this paragraph from the original Reuters reportagain.

Samsung Electronics Co has received some 9 million pre-orders for its third-generation Galaxy S smartphone from more than 100 global carriers, the Korea Economic Daily reported on Friday.

Those are orders from its global carriers, not customers. Come on people.

When Apple reports its pre-orders for a new iPhone, it uses the number of phones ordered by end users. If Apple played this type of silly game, they could add on all of the orders from AT&T, Verizon and all of its carriers from around the world. And if they did that, the number of pre-orders would still be skewed in Apple?s favor.

There is no guarantee that carriers will sell all of the Samsung phones they ordered to end users. In fact, there is no guarantee they will sell even one phone.

What happens to all of the unsold inventory? They go back to Samsung, but they still count as pre-orders.

The lesson of the day: Don't be fooled by bull."

So what would happen if Apple released GLOBAL carrier "pre-orders?" It would make your touting of 9 Million seem like chump change.

I dont see the dwindling interest, the android play store continues to grow.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/companies/google/android/study-finds-developer-interest-in-android-is-slowly-eroding/

http://articles.businessinsider.com/2012-04-20/news/31372130_1_amazon-appstore-android-developer-interest

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Android-loses-developer-interest-due-to-fragmentation_id28247

http://www.electronista.com/articles/12/03/20/developers.peg.ios.at.1.android.2.wp7.3/

"Following news that Battleheart developer Mika Mobile is dropping support for the Android platform, a new survey of developer interest in mobile platforms shows that this could be a sign of a growing trend facing the Android platform. In explaining its reasons for dropping Android support, Mika Mobile said that the fragmentation of the platform meant that it had been forced to spend countless hours modifying shaders and texture formats to work on different GPUs among other complaints. Appcelerator found that even though the Android platform is expanding, developer interest is waning, a result of the massive array of devices and hardware configurations requiring support.

The fragmentation of the platform, which Google seems unable to curtail, is driving this drop in interest, said Mike King, an Appcelerator strategist."

Thats the whole point of open source anyone can do anything.

- I guess letting anyone do anything means carriers can enforce their own skins, hardware and software configurations, and well... Fragment the hell out of the entire eco-system, making it near impossible to sustain any meaningful unified online-community service, or sensible developer profit.

Google is going to release their own tablet soon.

About four years late on that. They're going to have a tough time even just "emulating" the foundation of an entire market Apple has single handedly built. Google will be stretching themselves thin just familiarizing themselves into the "HARDWARE-DESIGN" business. What happened to the first Google Nexus Phone? How come they need to rely on other hardware vendors to put out their software? Yeah we'll see what happens with their own tablet soon.

iOS accounts for 2% of total profits for google which are mostly made from search, it doesnt hurt them in the slightest.

FromCNET:

In an investors note released yesterday, Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster said he expects Google to generate around $4.5 billion in mobile revenue this year. And iOS will kick in the largest or close to the largest chunk of that.

All told, by the close of 2012, iOS will have driven close to 40 percent of Google?s total mobile search revenue. How much does that amount to? Roughly $1.6 billion.

http://www.slashgear.com/ios-brings-in-40-of-googles-mobile-profits-07232783/

- When you're speaking in terms of billions, especially 1.6 billion from 4.5 billion, it suddenly does hurt.

If google cared they would have given iOS similar google maps functionality as it is on android but it seems like they didnt and so apple was forced to make their own maps.

Correct. Google doesn't care. It's why you have Android, and why Android is starting to slowly erode right before our eyes.

"Grasping for straws now are we?"