Ouya! Getting one? Why or why not?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by TheAcejoel99 (1059 posts) -

Just curious. I am really enjoying mine and wanted to see what the GS community thought of the little device. I have had mine for awhile now (from kickstarter), so I would also be happy to answer any burning questions.

#2 Posted by Mrmedia01 (1917 posts) -

I have one I love it. Best $100 I have spent in a long time. Gamers that dont own one are narrow minded and missing. Theres a few games on there that are crazy fun for low price, like Bomb Squad, Towerfall, Nightmare Tower, ect, ect.

Also loads of emulators that work flawlessly, even PS1 and N64 :). Favorites are FPse (PS1 emu) and NEO.EMU (NeoGeo Emulator), Most games run flawlessly, even Scan line setting, look amazing on 1080P Big Screen TV.

Side load XBMC and get video add ons and you have something 100 times better than Netflix and free.

So for $100 well worth it. People who rag on it, either dont know how to use it to its full potential or rather compare it to phones or tablets without even knowing the games it has to offer and everything you can do with it.

#3 Posted by AutoPilotOn (7958 posts) -
I have special edition one haven't really used it in weeks though
#4 Posted by ghstbstr (8774 posts) -
I just bought an Ouya from Amazon, and I can't wait to get it to play it! I was thinking about getting a GameStick that's $80, but I decided that the Ouya for $100 is a much better choice.
#5 Posted by osan0 (12547 posts) -
i wont be getting this one as i have a 10" tablet with HDMI out and pretty much the same spec as the ouya. there isnt enough ouya exclusive stuff to get me interested. are they going to release a new model next year though? if there was one with tegra 4 and so on then i would be interested.
#6 Posted by Stinger78 (5826 posts) -
Currently I have an android tablet that supports HDMI output and physical controls, but the Ouya seems decent for what it is.
#7 Posted by adamosmaki (9362 posts) -
I'm intrigued by it. Sure it doesn't have the latest and greatest hardware but for $100 you are getting a decently powerful device but i'm not sure whether it worth it over my old galaxy S2 that i plan connecting it to my tv and use it as a media hub ( i can still use a bluetooth controller with galaxy s2 )
#8 Posted by Soulreavercross (19890 posts) -
I can already enjoy all the games on my tablet with a controller, and use the hdmi if needed. I really have no need for it just yet. Might probably get the next version to come out.
#9 Posted by piranha_inc (1994 posts) -
I want one mostly because of the emulators, I'll probably end up getting one, but not just jet
#10 Posted by ghstbstr (8774 posts) -
I got my Ouya yesterday(Monday), and I like it but it isn't great. It is good enough to keep, especially since it was only $99 with free shipping and no tax from getting it through Amazon. I like the Ouya, because playing games like this on a phone or a tablet kinda sucks. So playing these games on my tv and through my sound system with hdmi in HD is really cool. The controls are kinda stiff on the games that I have played so far, but this isn't a normal console like an Xbox or a Playstation. Otherwise for what the Ouya does it is cool. There are a lot of games, and there some really good ones. I will rate it for now a... 7/10!
#11 Posted by doll94 (1557 posts) -
[QUOTE="ghstbstr"]I got my Ouya yesterday(Monday), and I like it but it isn't great. It is good enough to keep, especially since it was only $99 with free shipping and no tax from getting it through Amazon. I like the Ouya, because playing games like this on a phone or a tablet kinda sucks. So playing these games on my tv and through my sound system with hdmi in HD is really cool. The controls are kinda stiff on the games that I have played so far, but this isn't a normal console like an Xbox or a Playstation. Otherwise for what the Ouya does it is cool. There are a lot of games, and there some really good ones. I will rate it for now a... 7/10!

Are you using a 360 or PS3 pad on it? It really feels much nicer to use if you do. Also.. Load it full of emulators and have some retro fun. :D
#12 Posted by ghstbstr (8774 posts) -

[QUOTE="ghstbstr"]I got my Ouya yesterday(Monday), and I like it but it isn't great. It is good enough to keep, especially since it was only $99 with free shipping and no tax from getting it through Amazon. I like the Ouya, because playing games like this on a phone or a tablet kinda sucks. So playing these games on my tv and through my sound system with hdmi in HD is really cool. The controls are kinda stiff on the games that I have played so far, but this isn't a normal console like an Xbox or a Playstation. Otherwise for what the Ouya does it is cool. There are a lot of games, and there some really good ones. I will rate it for now a... 7/10!doll94
Are you using a 360 or PS3 pad on it? It really feels much nicer to use if you do. Also.. Load it full of emulators and have some retro fun. :D

I am using the Ouya controller, and I knida like it. As for the emulators I can download the emulator, but there aren't any games in them.

I need help with sideloading games. I know where(website) to download them from, how to install them, and where to start playing them, but some games have an error when installing them and some have an error after after I click on it to play it. I wish that I could play some of those games that can sideloaded, as I have seen others play them.

#13 Posted by doll94 (1557 posts) -

[QUOTE="doll94"][QUOTE="ghstbstr"]I got my Ouya yesterday(Monday), and I like it but it isn't great. It is good enough to keep, especially since it was only $99 with free shipping and no tax from getting it through Amazon. I like the Ouya, because playing games like this on a phone or a tablet kinda sucks. So playing these games on my tv and through my sound system with hdmi in HD is really cool. The controls are kinda stiff on the games that I have played so far, but this isn't a normal console like an Xbox or a Playstation. Otherwise for what the Ouya does it is cool. There are a lot of games, and there some really good ones. I will rate it for now a... 7/10!ghstbstr

I am using the Ouya controller, and I knida like it. As for the emulators I can download the emulator, but there aren't any games in them.

I need help with sideloading games. I know where(website) to download them from, how to install them, and where to start playing them, but some games have an error when installing them and some have an error after after I click on it to play it. I wish that I could play some of those games that can sideloaded, as I have seen others play them.

Ah I havent tried sideloading any games yet. Only got my Ouya myself a couple days ago. Just been playing The Amazing Frog, Hidden In Plain Site and a ton of snes games. I will try to get GTA3 and Vice City working though.
#14 Posted by Mrmedia01 (1917 posts) -

I got my Ouya yesterday(Monday), and I like it but it isn't great. It is good enough to keep, especially since it was only $99 with free shipping and no tax from getting it through Amazon. I like the Ouya, because playing games like this on a phone or a tablet kinda sucks. So playing these games on my tv and through my sound system with hdmi in HD is really cool. The controls are kinda stiff on the games that I have played so far, but this isn't a normal console like an Xbox or a Playstation. Otherwise for what the Ouya does it is cool. There are a lot of games, and there some really good ones. I will rate it for now a... 7/10!ghstbstr

Invite some friends over and play Bomb Squad and Towerfall together. Watch how much fun you have!!! also PS1 emulator works pretty darn well for most games :)

#15 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18330 posts) -
No, I have a 10" tablet that I can hook up to my tv and sync a ps3 controller too.. basically does everything to Ouya does and is also portable so I don't need to buy one.
#16 Posted by MeltdownMedia (43 posts) -
Yes. It's an awesome little console and I hope they do really well with it against the PS and Xbox. OUYA is also built around indie development, which is a breath of fresh air from having expensive licensing and dev kits on other consoles. Power to the indie!
#17 Posted by bonesawisready5 (4576 posts) -

I want to get one just for the oddball good indie titles, even if they are on PC too. I enjoy a traditional controller so much more than KBM

$99 is a good price but I'm waiting on either new model in 2014 that adds something better or for this year's $99 model to get discounted. I'd imagine on black friday retailers in the US will be selling them for as low as $50 possibly with $70 the most likely sale price. Then I'd like to pick one up just for the thrill of random indie games

#18 Posted by mystic_knight (13801 posts) -
Ican imagine anupgraded chromecast will kill this off unfortunately. once they support wireless streaming, it will most likely be game over for Ouya.
#19 Posted by JaytheGamefan (6 posts) -

A $75 BF price would be great for it - by then, there will be more worthwhile games for it. I've had the system since before launch due to Kickstarter, and I'm quite happy with it. I wasn't expecting AAA-level stuff on a $100 system, and I'm content with its combo of playable classics, sideloaded Android games, and official things on the marketplace. This system finally allows me to play Gunman Clive the way I wanted to - with a controller and on a big screen.

#20 Posted by Los9090 (7288 posts) -
I've always been iffy about consoles that are outside the box.