This topic is locked from further discussion.

toddx77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 toddx77
Member since 2008 • 3395 Posts

So I finally ditched my iphone and got a samsung galaxy note yesturday. I love it but I am still unclear on a lot mainly the e mail. For some reason on my note I am not getting some emails that appear on my iphone, ipad, and web brower and I am even getting some e mails on my note that are 2 weeks ahead. Here are pics of the e mail from my note, iphone, ipad, and brower.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb231/toddx77/SC20120706-211044.png

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb231/toddx77/photo1.png

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb231/toddx77/photo-1.png

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb231/toddx77/ym.jpg

Why are certain e mails only showing up on different devices and why are some from the future? Also as you can see that pill e mail has a different time on the note. I know a lot of those e mails are spam but I would still like to know since I don't want that to happen to anything important.

Also the first account I logged in with was my gmail but then I logged in again with my yahoo since I have my youtube and google plus account on that e mail too. I tried taking the gmail account of the phone but I was told I would have to reset my phone to factory settings as that account was needed. Do I need to keep a gmail account on there because I was under the impression a google plus account would count as a google account.

Music wise I have noticed that there are 2 music players. Music player is what I have been using as all my music that I was able to convert from itunes plays in that. For the app simply called "music" only some albums were present and I was able to get 2 other albums to appear and start playing just from hitting shuffle. Is music player mainly for drm free music you put on your phone and "music" for music that is purchased from android? Also I have noticed there is the play store to buy everything from and media hub to buy tv shows from, is there a difference? Also there is an app called movies but when I try to download it I am told I have to delete another app to replace it and it is not an offcial android app.

For text messaging I have been using the app that says "messaging" but there is also an app that says "messages" I read the description and is it basically supposed to be like imessage? And speaking of imessage when I texted on of my friends who has an iphone on my note every text he sent me back only came to my iphone. How would I fix that? Do I just log out of imessage or is there something more?

semianonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 semianonymous
Member since 2007 • 6685 Posts

menu>accounts and sync

Gmail may just not be set to sync for whatever reason.

Emails at different times is more or less normal, some devices more or less frequently sync email, so staggered arrival is possible. My tablet tends to get email about a minute before my phone does, for example.

Also media hub is a samsung app. Honestly, you can just ignore it if you want. Music shoudl be the official google music app (I think--honestly don't know what all samsung has done on the note). Can you give some screenshots of the music apps and the various other apps you mention? I believe samsung phones allow you to screenshot with power+home at the same time.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#3 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

For text messaging I have been using the app that says "messaging" but there is also an app that says "messages" I read the description and is it basically supposed to be like imessage? And speaking of imessage when I texted on of my friends who has an iphone on my note every text he sent me back only came to my iphone. How would I fix that? Do I just log out of imessage or is there something more?

toddx77

You cant imessage between android and iphone. Just forget about all these services and use whatsapp, you can communicate with any device and it's universally used by almost everyone. Ask your iphone friend to buy it if he hasnt already.

And for specific answers to everything relating to the note I would say you go here as only someone with a note can really know whats going on with it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1346

toddx77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 toddx77

menu>accounts and sync

Gmail may just not be set to sync for whatever reason.

Emails at different times is more or less normal, some devices more or less frequently sync email, so staggered arrival is possible. My tablet tends to get email about a minute before my phone does, for example.

Also media hub is a samsung app. Honestly, you can just ignore it if you want. Music shoudl be the official google music app (I think--honestly don't know what all samsung has done on the note). Can you give some screenshots of the music apps and the various other apps you mention? I believe samsung phones allow you to screenshot with power+home at the same time.

semianonymous

I went into accounts and sync and still couldn't unsync my gmail but I uncheck gmail so while the account is still on the phone I don't think I will be getting e mails from my gmail account anymore, but would it be wise to link my yahoo account to my gmail or would that be to confusing as I have my normal google plus account and facebook on my yahoo and my cosplay facebook and google plus on my gmail and that would mess up things too much? Getting e mails late isn't really the problem but more the fact some are not showing up at all on my android. They are spam but still, and then there is the fact I have e mails from jul 15 and july 21 of 2012 for some reason. Anyway here are some screen shots of the music apps plus that message app I had a question about. First pic is of both the music player and music app, second the music app, third music player and fourth the message app.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb231/toddx77/SC20120707-002640.png

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb231/toddx77/SC20120707-002700.png

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb231/toddx77/SC20120707-002906.png

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb231/toddx77/SC20120707-003327.png

Also here is a pic from facebook but I couldn't figure out how to get the text to go away covering it.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb231/toddx77/SC20120706-191832-1.png

[QUOTE="toddx77"]

Gambler_3

You cant imessage between android and iphone. Just forget about all these services and use whatsapp, you can communicate with any device and it's universally used by almost everyone. Ask your iphone friend to buy it if he hasnt already.

And for specific answers to everything relating to the note I would say you go here as only someone with a note can really know whats going on with it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1346

I just down loaded whatsapp but will logging out of my iphone make the texts go to my android phone though?

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Gambler_3

I just down loaded whatsapp but will logging out of my iphone make the texts go to my android phone though?

toddx77

No man imessage is exclusively an iOS thing. But trust me whatsapp is better even most iphone users use that.

semianonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 semianonymous
Member since 2007 • 6685 Posts

http://i.imgur.com/duBAj.jpg

Everything with a red X is bloatware you can ignore. Everything with a single red line is bloatware that may or may not be useful to you. I don't know what messages is, but based off the color scheme its an AT&T thing. Messenger is a google+ thing.

As great as android might be, no one is denying that the bloatware situation is frankly out of hand.

Also that resolution, I'm jealous

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Gambler_3

Samsung has it's own internet messaging service like whatsapp so the "messages" app is probably that yes there is no way a carrier will have such an app as it eats into their sms revenue. The "music" app is official android music player and the "music player" is the samsung music player which is superior to the official android app. I only have DRM free music so have never needed to use the official google music app but I doubt you cant use another player for purchased music.

I'll not call the samsung apps bloatware in the least bit cuz you actually get free apps through that, I'll not mind such a thing on my pure android experience. In fact most of samsung's apps are extremely useful and save you the need to download and potentially buy some essential apps from the play store like the file manager, excellent music and video players. If only they didnt decide to change the whole look and functionality of the launcher I would actually prefer a samsung phone over a nexus phone as the touchwiz galaxy series has the most complete out of the box experience of any smartphone.

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

I came here only to second what Gambler is saying about Whatsapp. It's on par with (and in many ways superior to) Blackberry Messenger which, as everyone knows, is the one and only good thing about Blackberries.

Just tell your friends to get it. It works with Android, iOS, Blackberry, Windows 7.5 and several Symbian devices. First year is free for almost everyone, then it's one buck per year, except for iOS users, who have to pay 2 dollars upfront and then don't have to pay the yearly fee. And your account is tied to your phone number, so you can go from phone to phone without having to worry about telling everyone your new PIN, ID number, ID name or whatever.

toddx77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 toddx77

Ok I figured out the imessage message problem, I just logged out of my iphone.

google account wise people are telling me to just link my yahoo email to my gmail account. Would you recommended doing that? Also does a google account have to be with gmail? Could I restore my phone to factory default and log in using my yahoo since that email is linked to my google+ and youtube?

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Gambler_3

You havent made a google account yet?

If you are able to download apps from store then you have a valid account that is being backed up. Go to play store, press menu button and go to "my apps" then sidescroll to all apps there it will show you the email address that is linked to your android phone. This is the email you need to restore backups and all.

And ya there is nothing wrong with linking the yahoo with gmail.

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
what does internet messaging do that push email doesn't anyway? unless you are in different countries for basic text conversations txts are still better normally and dirt cheap.
toddx77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 toddx77

Oh I have a google account I just wanted to know if I could use my yahoo as the main since I have google+ and youtube linked with that e mail but I think I figured it out. I did what you said about going into the play store then going settings and when I hit accounts there was my gmail and yahoo. Now it said "choose google account" so does that mean my yahoo email is a google account then since it is linked to my google+ and youtube plus when I selected it there appeared to be no change in my apps, phone, contacts, anything so is my yahoo technically a google account? I apologize if I am sounding to confusing but I want to fully make sure I understand before I move on with purchasing stuff under said google account.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Gambler_3

From what I know your youtube account is also your google account.

http://support.google.com/accounts/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=63950

Here it seems like you can use yahoo for google account.

toddx77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 toddx77

Your right, I went to google play on my web browser and logged into my google plus account using my yahoo email and it worked. So pretty much I have the account question answered. I guess the only other question I have is would be is there any easy way I could convert the tv shows and movies I have on itunes to andriod?