This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by TwistedShade (3164 posts) -

Didn't see a thread on this so figured i would voice the new kindles amazon has announced.

New revamped kindle fire 7 priced at 160$ features improved processor, double the ram of the original, better battery, and 8gb of memory. Same design as the original buttonless).

New kindle fire 7 HD featuring 16gb of storage, same improved features as above and ofcourse a better display. 1280x800 Resolution Priced at 199$ Also features 32gb version priced at 250$.

New kindle fire 8.9inch, featuring 16gb of storage, a beautiful 1920x1200 display, new wifi improvements, and priced at 299$.

Just interested to see if anyone is thinking about getting any of these now, i may just grab the KindleFire7HD since i'll be getting free prime with student id feels better then Nexus7.

(Edit) Naturally i forgot the big game. The New kindle fire 8.9HD 4gLte featuring 32gb of storage, all of the features from the 299$ Version plus amazon's own 4G LTE data service offering 250MB of data per month, 10$ credit to the amazon appstore, and 20GB of cloud storage all for 50$ a year. On top of the 499$ Price.

#2 Posted by ghstbstr (8790 posts) -

The Kindle Fire HD(2) sounds cool from what I have read, but the Nexus 7 still seems much better. It also seems that the Kindle Fire HD(2) is still using Android 2.3 since Amazon hasn't said that it isn't, which I guess works but it is an old smartphone OS.

After waiting for Amazon's announcement I think that I will get the Nexus 7 next week on payday.

#3 Posted by TwistedShade (3164 posts) -

The Kindle Fire HD(2) sounds cool from what I have read, but the Nexus 7 still seems much better. It also seems that the Kindle Fire HD(2) is still using Android 2.3 since Amazon hasn't said that it isn't, which I guess works but it is an old smartphone OS.

After waiting for Amazon's announcement I think that I will get the Nexus 7 next week on payday.

ghstbstr

Yeah i have a feeling even at 199$ with 8gb the Nexus7 will be the better buy, alot of people seem to (understandably) hate amazon's overlay.

#4 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8452 posts) -
I am kind of disappointed with these after seeing the nexus 7.
#5 Posted by TwistedShade (3164 posts) -

Dafuq? looks like the Amazon content page has it listed that the tablets have special offers displayed on them.....seems alittle off.

#6 Posted by Gambler_3 (7548 posts) -

The 8.9" kindle for $300 is quite interesting actually. It has a 19x12 8.9" screen giving it over 250ppi, now the actual quality of the screen will make or break this.

#7 Posted by MAILER_DAEMON (45906 posts) -
Can't say I'm interested, really.
#8 Posted by DJ_Headshot (6184 posts) -

ghstbstr

Nexus 7 would no doubt be the best buy for a cheap 7" tablet as it has superior hardware and software but the lack of expandable storage cripples it imo since your stuck with 16gb max and they make you shell out $50 extra for that extra 8gb of storage that only cost google a small fraction of that to use. 16gb just isn't enough for me for something that supposed to be a powerhouse multimedia device my phone with a combined 40gb of storage only has a few gigabytes left of free space. With the Kindle Fire HD 7"amazon pulls the same underhanded tactic withnon expandable storage but they give you double the memory at both price points and 32gb is enough to be usuable for me.

#9 Posted by DJ_Headshot (6184 posts) -

The kindle fire HD 8.9" with its 1920x1200 is a great deal as it undercuts any tablet with a comparable resolution screen by $150+ for those who don't need more then 16gb of storage. The lack of expandable storage irks me though really hate how this seems to becoming the norm on new android tablets just so they can force consumers to buy the more expensive models at ripoff prices just to get a decent amount of storage and they also stop at 32gb on the non 4G version. The storage amount at both price points should have be double what there at so 32gb for $300 and 64gb for $369 it would have cost them very little extra to do so.

But considering Apple only puts a paltry 16gb on there flagship $500 tablet with non expandable storage and charges $100 for double the storage. It still a manages to be a good deal compared to the competition. Amazon knows this so they can get away with the pricing and storage capacities they have there still the best deal in town. 32gb is enough though thats its not a deal breaker for me but the price point of $300 is decipteively cheap but even at $369 its still the cheapest tablet I can buy with a 1920x1200 screen and considering how many people seem fine with 16gb on the $500 ipad I'm probably in the minority for how much storage space is needed(atlough no one can argue against the conience and value having expandle storage with a cheap micro sd card offers) so I expect this to sell very well at this price point especially with the precense amazon has tens of millions of people who shop there and will see the new fire tablets advertised there.

#10 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -
I just hate Amazon's layout.
#11 Posted by musicalmac (22988 posts) -

ghstbstr
But it's just not nearly as smooth as the Nexus 7 on Jelly Bean. The original Kindle Fire's OS was built on Gingerbread 2.3, and on the Fire HD we get a heavily modified version of 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. And after using Jelly Bean on the Nexus 7, it's just impossible to go back to ICS without it feeling horribly slow and laggy.Gizmodo

So there's that.
#12 Posted by mystic_knight (13801 posts) -
Not interested.
[QUOTE="ghstbstr"]

musicalmac
But it's just not nearly as smooth as the Nexus 7 on Jelly Bean. The original Kindle Fire's OS was built on Gingerbread 2.3, and on the Fire HD we get a heavily modified version of 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. And after using Jelly Bean on the Nexus 7, it's just impossible to go back to ICS without it feeling horribly slow and laggy.Gizmodo

So there's that.

For that reason alone, its better to avoid it. I know its a cheaper alternative, but don't sacrifice quality for a bit of a tighter budget. Nexus 7 is the way to go for the 7" tab I still think the GTab 7.7 is a nicer device than all others in the small tablet category. Transformer prime infinity would obviously be my pick for the tablet to go to on android.
#13 Posted by Gambler_3 (7548 posts) -

Ya that samsung tab is nice, I bet if samsung can update it to jelly bean it can still compete with the upcoming ipad. Although too bad it aint going to be updated, ASUS is the way to go with tablet updates.

#14 Posted by musicalmac (22988 posts) -
[QUOTE="mystic_knight"]For that reason alone, its better to avoid it. I know its a cheaper alternative, but don't sacrifice quality for a bit of a tighter budget. Nexus 7 is the way to go for the 7" tab I still think the GTab 7.7 is a nicer device than all others in the small tablet category. Transformer prime infinity would obviously be my pick for the tablet to go to on android.

I agree completely with this. I'd never buy an Android device that wasn't explicitly endorsed by Google. However, I do appreciate Amazon's attempt here. For people who don't care about many of the technical aspects, this device will end up being an alternative that isn't horrible.
#15 Posted by Gambler_3 (7548 posts) -

lol wait these are ad-supported devices I hear? Like you will have ads on the lockscreen and there is nothing you can do about it. Suddenly it doesnt look like that good a deal and I am sure amazon will make it as hard as possible to bypass these things. They are not going to provide drivers for it so you can forget about stable custom roms.

#16 Posted by TwistedShade (3164 posts) -

lol wait these are ad-supported devices I hear? Like you will have ads on the lockscreen and there is nothing you can do about it. Suddenly it doesnt look like that good a deal and I am sure amazon will make it as hard as possible to bypass these things. They are not going to provide drivers for it so you can forget about stable custom roms.

Gambler_3

Between this and their locked app store and OS, they are making this a tough sell compared to the Nexus7.:shock:

#17 Posted by musicalmac (22988 posts) -

Between this and their locked app store and OS, they are making this a tough sell compared to the Nexus7.:shock:

TwistedShade
Actually, it's only a tougher sell to the minority tinkering techie. Most soccer moms will be perfectly happy with direct portals to applications they know will (should) work perfectly without any problems. Honestly, it's the Apple strategy on a smaller scale.
#18 Posted by Gambler_3 (7548 posts) -

[QUOTE="TwistedShade"]

musicalmac

Actually, it's only a tougher sell to the minority tinkering techie. Most soccer moms will be perfectly happy with direct portals to applications they know will (should) work perfectly without any problems. Honestly, it's the Apple strategy on a smaller scale.

Huh what doesnt work perfectly on the nexus 7 that works well on the kindle??:?

#19 Posted by Gambler_3 (7548 posts) -
The gtab 7.0 2 got a beta jelly bean release. So I think safe to say the 7.7 will get the official update as well.
#20 Posted by ghstbstr (8790 posts) -

After waiting for Amazon's announcement I think that I will get the Nexus 7 next week on payday.ghstbstr

I was wrong about the Kindle Fire HD using Android 2.3 it uses Android 4.0(ICS).

So after much deliberation I decided to get(pre order) the Kindle Fire HD 7in from Amazon.

I decided that the Kindle Fire HD seems to have way more entertainment value to it than the Nexus 7 which to me is just another Android tablet like my Acer Iconia a100 7in tablet.

I just can't wait to get my Kindle Fire HD hopefully this friday(09/14)!

#21 Posted by Gambler_3 (7548 posts) -

[QUOTE="ghstbstr"]The Kindle Fire HD(2) sounds cool from what I have read, but the Nexus 7 still seems much better. It also seems that the Kindle Fire HD(2) is still using Android 2.3 since Amazon hasn't said that it isn't, which I guess works but it is an old smartphone OS.

After waiting for Amazon's announcement I think that I will get the Nexus 7 next week on payday.ghstbstr

I was wrong about the Kindle Fire HD using Android 2.3 it uses Android 4.0(ICS).

So after much deliberation I decided to get(pre order) the Kindle Fire HD 7in from Amazon.

I decided that the Kindle Fire HD seems to have way more entertainment value to it than the Nexus 7 which to me is just another Android tablet like my Acer Iconia a100 7in tablet.

Just another android tablet? You mean the first tablet that had ipad like smoothness? Cant be just another tablet.

What do you plan to do on the kindle that you cant on nexus 7?

#22 Posted by TwistedShade (3164 posts) -

[QUOTE="ghstbstr"]

[QUOTE="ghstbstr"]The Kindle Fire HD(2) sounds cool from what I have read, but the Nexus 7 still seems much better. It also seems that the Kindle Fire HD(2) is still using Android 2.3 since Amazon hasn't said that it isn't, which I guess works but it is an old smartphone OS.

After waiting for Amazon's announcement I think that I will get the Nexus 7 next week on payday.Gambler_3

Just another android tablet? You mean the first tablet that had ipad like smoothness? Cant be just another tablet.

What do you plan to do on the kindle that you cant on nexus 7?

*Way more entertainment* makes me think he plans to use the Amazon video/book stores. Which to be honest are alot better then the play store's lacking selection.

#23 Posted by Gambler_3 (7548 posts) -

*Way more entertainment* makes me think he plans to use the Amazon video/book stores. Which to be honest are alot better then the play store's lacking selection.

TwistedShade

Meh I will never pay for content that locks me in an ecosystem, to each their own.

#24 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

Gambler_3

Well Amazon also gives the consumer the option of paying an additional $15 to remove the ads.

Huge turn off for me. I guess I'll be getting the Nexus 7 if I decide to get a tablet later this year.