Need new phone suggestions?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by FPS1337 (2515 posts) -

I am about to get a new phone. Not sure if I should wait a bit or buy now. Right now I have been thinking about getting the LG Optimus G. I really like the design, nice that its quad core, nice 720p 4.7 inch screen and has 2 GB ram plus expandable memory. I looked it up, turns out there is a LG Optimus G Pro, which is coming out Q2 2013. It supposedly has a 5 inch variant, which would be perfect, and a 5.5 inch variant which is personally too big for me. However it has a 1080p screen and has a 1.7 GHZ quad core processor rather then the G's 1.5 GHZ quad core. The Galaxy S IV is also about to be announced, but I am kinda wanna just get a phone now, I have been waiting around forever. I live in Canada, and I assume that it will be released at the earliest in June. Another phone I have been looking at is the HTC One, which has a 1080p screen, which is cool. It is quad core as well I think. The only problem is that there is no expandable memory, but it does come with 32 GB. It releases March 22,  which is only a couple weeks away, but not too sure about battery life and such. Expandable memory is also nice to have, especially for me who plans to have a ton of apps and movies. Also heard the Nexus 5 might release soon, but I assume it would take a while because like the Galaxy S IV its not even announced yet. I was wondering if there are any other phones that I should know about that are coming soon or already out. Also if you can't already tell I'm really looking at Android phones, I'm interest in Windows 8, but I don't think it quite has the support Android has and I heard it has a couple problems. 

#2 Posted by mystic_knight (13801 posts) -
The optimus g is a great phone.. the htc one is the one i'll be going for. motorola x-phone will hit shelves in Junes/July which will trump all the competition. but if you want a phone now. Your choices are Sony xperia z (Now) HTC One (march) LG optimus G (Now) Asus padfone infinity (april)
#3 Posted by kraken2109 (12971 posts) -

Nexus 4 is an optimus G that gets updates.

#4 Posted by FPS1337 (2515 posts) -

kraken2109
I would certainly get the Nexus 4, but sadly it only has 16 GB of memory and no expandable memory. If it had expandable memory I would certainly go for it.
#5 Posted by FPS1337 (2515 posts) -

The optimus g is a great phone.. the htc one is the one i'll be going for. motorola x-phone will hit shelves in Junes/July which will trump all the competition. but if you want a phone now. Your choices are Sony xperia z (Now) HTC One (march) LG optimus G (Now) Asus padfone infinity (april)mystic_knight
The Sony Xperia Z looks awesome. Turns out its coming to Canada in April, so I think I will just wait til then. I have a Sony Tablet S and I really like it. Also I visit New York in a couple weeks, so maybe I could get it there and use it in Canada.

Edit: Checked the Xperia Z's price. I don't think I could go for $800, the phone is ridiculously nice though. I might have to settle for something cheaper. 

#6 Posted by kraken2109 (12971 posts) -
[QUOTE="kraken2109"]

FPS1337
I would certainly get the Nexus 4, but sadly it only has 16 GB of memory and no expandable memory. If it had expandable memory I would certainly go for it.

16GB is enough apps imo, if you want lots of music you'd be better off with a cheap mp3 player so you don't kill the phone's battery
#7 Posted by gmaster456 (7561 posts) -
The Optimus G is a great phone. Don't worry about the processor. The S4 pro still has a lot of life left in it and plenty of power. Good design, specs, and LG's skin isn't too bad. I have it's brother the Nexus 4 and it's incredible. If you can get the HTC one, I would probably go with that though.
#8 Posted by TheColbert (3842 posts) -
I would go with either LG Nexus 4 because it is a pure Vanilla phone. The Razr Maxx HD is really nice thanks to the amazing battery life. If I could pick a phone right now it would be the Sony Xperia Z however. It looks soooo nice.
#9 Posted by divatz (1 posts) -
I recently got a Nexus 4 and it definitely rocks. Build quality is top notch (you'll have to be careful though, its glass black scratches easily) and it breezes through any app you throw at him. However, if you don't mind shelling more bucks, or if you want to go on contract, you might also like the HTC One (previously know as HTC M7). Great build quality (aluminum, but i prefer Nexus 4's design/build though), better CPU than on the Nexus 4 (Snapdragon 600 as opposed to Snapdragon S4 Pro) and Full HD display (1080p). I'm not sold on the camera though (4.3 MP with Ultrapixel technology) but N4 is not a performer either in this department. Oh, and stereo speakers on the front with unmatched sound quality (for a smartphone). More HTC One info here: http://www.gforgames.com/gadgets/htc-release-date-price-specs-interesting-details-31407 Hope this helps.
#10 Posted by Gambler_3 (7548 posts) -

The xperia Z has a pretty mediocre screen.

65903_10152514852565316_604210782_n.jpg

#11 Posted by Blazerdt47 (5661 posts) -

The optimus g is a great phone.. the htc one is the one i'll be going for. motorola x-phone will hit shelves in Junes/July which will trump all the competition. but if you want a phone now. Your choices are Sony xperia z (Now) HTC One (march) LG optimus G (Now) Asus padfone infinity (april)mystic_knight

The X Phone is delayed and rumors point to it not being so advanced as current phones.

#12 Posted by mystic_knight (13801 posts) -

[QUOTE="mystic_knight"]The optimus g is a great phone.. the htc one is the one i'll be going for. motorola x-phone will hit shelves in Junes/July which will trump all the competition. but if you want a phone now. Your choices are Sony xperia z (Now) HTC One (march) LG optimus G (Now) Asus padfone infinity (april)Blazerdt47

The X Phone is delayed and rumors point to it not being so advanced as current phones.

Meh we aint even getting it no more in australia, so i stopped keeping track.. stupid motorola. Im getting the HTC One. i wont have any regrets.. Chances are if you havent ordered the HTC one you will miss out as our major telco Telstra has already backlogged most orders till may, due to supply shortage. I have not got an email stating this but i know some others do.. lets just hope that email does not pop up in the next 3 days. i want that phone damn it.
#13 Posted by Blazerdt47 (5661 posts) -

[QUOTE="Blazerdt47"]

[QUOTE="mystic_knight"]The optimus g is a great phone.. the htc one is the one i'll be going for. motorola x-phone will hit shelves in Junes/July which will trump all the competition. but if you want a phone now. Your choices are Sony xperia z (Now) HTC One (march) LG optimus G (Now) Asus padfone infinity (april)mystic_knight

Meh we aint even getting it no more in australia, so i stopped keeping track.. stupid motorola. Im getting the HTC One. i wont have any regrets.. Chances are if you havent ordered the HTC one you will miss out as our major telco Telstra has already backlogged most orders till may, due to supply shortage. I have not got an email stating this but i know some others do.. lets just hope that email does not pop up in the next 3 days. i want that phone damn it.

The HTC One is very tempting, I just want to order one right now but I'm still waiting for some more X Phone or Nexus 5 news at least until Google I/O.

I still have the original Galaxy S Vibrant. :|

#14 Posted by mystic_knight (13801 posts) -

[QUOTE="mystic_knight"][QUOTE="Blazerdt47"]

Blazerdt47

The HTC One is very tempting, I just want to order one right now but I'm still waiting for some more X Phone or Nexus 5 news at least until Google I/O.

Thats ok May will be your deciding factor. Everything will be revealed, you either get the HTC or wait till June/July for the x-Phone... Either option will be better than the s4 :P
#15 Posted by Blazerdt47 (5661 posts) -

[QUOTE="Blazerdt47"]

[QUOTE="mystic_knight"] Meh we aint even getting it no more in australia, so i stopped keeping track.. stupid motorola. Im getting the HTC One. i wont have any regrets.. Chances are if you havent ordered the HTC one you will miss out as our major telco Telstra has already backlogged most orders till may, due to supply shortage. I have not got an email stating this but i know some others do.. lets just hope that email does not pop up in the next 3 days. i want that phone damn it.mystic_knight

Thats ok May will be your deciding factor. Everything will be revealed, you either get the HTC or wait till June/July for the x-Phone... Either option will be better than the s4 :P

The only thing I like about the S4 are all the little neat software tricks in the camera and gestures.

#16 Posted by JasonDarksavior (9325 posts) -
Either S4 or HTC ONE.