My biggest beef wtih Android

This topic is locked from further discussion.

awptical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 awptical
Member since 2003 • 844 Posts

...is the fact you STILL to this day can't run more than one tab at a time on any given browser. Its so annoying not to be able to run YouTube in the background and surf the web, be it the YouTube app or just running off the browser. As an OS that prides itself on multitasking, I must say I'm pretty disappointed this hasnt been resolved yet.

Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#2 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts

I don't find that really annoying ... One thing I hate is how fragmented it is in regards to Android updates.

For example look at this article dated 7th of June ...http://www.ubergizmo.com/2012/07/samsung-galaxy-s3-ota-update-introduces-brightness-widget-drop/

It is now September 11 and I still have not receieved this update ... Amazing

shmuklidooha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 shmuklidooha
Member since 2012 • 47 Posts
That's kind of odd... I could have sworn that I had multiple browsing tabs open at some point (even though they're not saved when you close it)
play_thegame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 play_thegame
Member since 2008 • 3630 Posts
i can run multiple browsing tabs in the background sometimes on my sensation XE. i think theres a memory limit or something though, because often i cant.
flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
There is multiple tab support on a few mobile browsers, including Opera, FF and Dolphin. Chrome also has it. I think the TC's beef is that Youtube pauses when you put the tab in the background. Personally, I prefer it does that. Considering that data plan still costs a considerable amount, plus running videos do take some system resources, I rather the videos pause if it's not being watched. If you need to listen something like music in the background, Youtube isn't the best app or website for that anyway. With that said, I'm not sure if radio websites or other music streaming services work if running in a background tab. If they don't, then I definitely would find that annoying.
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
Dolphin has tabs but i think there is a limit on keeping them running in the background to save memory but they will reload when you open the browser. If the YouTube app streamed in background people would wonder why their battery dies so quick.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Why would you want youtube playing while you do something else?

I guess on a 10" tablet it might work but otherwise the screens are just too small.

Loegi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Loegi
Member since 2009 • 1692 Posts
But you can. I usually have 3 tabs open, and they are all active at the same time. I think even the stock browser (at least on HTC) can do that.
awptical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 awptical

I guess on a 10" tablet it might work but otherwise the screens are just too small.

kraken2109
Why? Because 90% of youtube is probably music. Its nice to have music playing while browsing the web. We all do it while on the computer, why cant we do it on our phones/tablets? Youtube is free with tons of original stuff I cant find anywhere else, it would be nice to have Android be able to do such a simple "multi-tasking" function. I love listening to live music. For example, my favorite artist just got done playing an awesome gig in Sydney a couple weeks ago. The full concert is available on Youtube. The only way I can listen to it ison Youtube, its just a nice but very basic feature to be able to listen to something like that while browsing the web. Why is this so difficult to understand?
awptical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 awptical
But you can. I usually have 3 tabs open, and they are all active at the same time. I think even the stock browser (at least on HTC) can do that.Loegi
Then kudos to HTC, as they are the only ones to achieve that. My Galaxy Nexus does not allow me to run YouTube in the background and play at the same time. Neither the standalone app or the website itself. As soon as I hit the other tab to go back to browsing, the video stops. Its pathetic, my brother's iPhone can do this. Its quite sad.
awptical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 awptical

I never even tried to run multi apps on my Android tablet.

roulettethedog
[QUOTE="flipin_jackass"]There is multiple tab support on a few mobile browsers, including Opera, FF and Dolphin. Chrome also has it. I think the TC's beef is that Youtube pauses when you put the tab in the background. Personally, I prefer it does that. Considering that data plan still costs a considerable amount, plus running videos do take some system resources, I rather the videos pause if it's not being watched. If you need to listen something like music in the background, Youtube isn't the best app or website for that anyway. With that said, I'm not sure if radio websites or other music streaming services work if running in a background tab. If they don't, then I definitely would find that annoying.

You'd "rather" it do that huh? How about an OPTION to NOT do that for those of us who want the App/Tabs to remain active while in the background? Why even call Android "multi-tasking" when it fails at the most basic multi tasking abilities. Its laughable.
Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 Large_Soda
Member since 2003 • 8658 Posts

[QUOTE="Loegi"]But you can. I usually have 3 tabs open, and they are all active at the same time. I think even the stock browser (at least on HTC) can do that.awptical
Then kudos to HTC, as they are the only ones to achieve that. My Galaxy Nexus does not allow me to run YouTube in the background and play at the same time. Neither the standalone app or the website itself. As soon as I hit the other tab to go back to browsing, the video stops. Its pathetic, my brother's iPhone can do this. Its quite sad.

I don't think the iPhone will let you do that.

awptical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 awptical

Ive seen him do it, so yes it can. At least, the previous version of iOS with Youtube can.

Kane04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Kane04
Member since 2006 • 2115 Posts

...is the fact you STILL to this day can't run more than one tab at a time on any given browser. Its so annoying not to be able to run YouTube in the background and surf the web, be it the YouTube app or just running off the browser. As an OS that prides itself on multitasking, I must say I'm pretty disappointed this hasnt been resolved yet.

awptical
The stock browser, Opera and Dolphin all support multitabs, at times I can be as many as 10 without a problem really. If you wanna talk about beefs, talk about OS updates, I don't think I'll get the Jelly Bean on my arc S before the world ends. That and bloatware, as far as I know Apple doesn't even allow it on their phones (then again that was just some dude that said it) even so, they get their updates even on ancient hardware. I know its up to the companies to get the OS working on their phones, but excuses aside, one of the biggest strengths, hardware options, its also one of the biggest weaknesses. Look at the "Temple Run" devs for example, they support over 700 phones and 99% of the email they get asking for support is from people complaining their phones aren't supported. And since were talking about beefs, I'm running droid 2.3 Gingerbread on my arc S simply because the official ICS 4.0.4 doesn't support combined inbox refresh (idk if the 4.1.B.0.587 fixed that).
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#16 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

[QUOTE="kraken2109"]

awptical

Why? Because 90% of youtube is probably music. Its nice to have music playing while browsing the web. We all do it while on the computer, why cant we do it on our phones/tablets? Youtube is free with tons of original stuff I cant find anywhere else, it would be nice to have Android be able to do such a simple "multi-tasking" function. I love listening to live music. For example, my favorite artist just got done playing an awesome gig in Sydney a couple weeks ago. The full concert is available on Youtube. The only way I can listen to it ison Youtube, its just a nice but very basic feature to be able to listen to something like that while browsing the web. Why is this so difficult to understand?

Because on the computer youtube keeps running it doesnt just go into "audio"mode it's just that the computer is so powerful that its not a problem. I dont think mobile computing is to that level yet to do this sort of multi-tasking. And mobile devices have to worry about battery life as well, I know laptops can do this too but laptops are essentially running desktop OS whereas android is a mobile OS from its foundations so battery life was a concern at every corner of its making.

And FYI iOS 6 cannot do this either. This is basically google intentionally not giving such an option it seems it has nothing to do with the capabilities of an OS. Why they are doing is I have no answer to that.

The only alternative right now is to get a third party youtube app. Currently you CAN play youtube videos through chrome by turning off the screen to just listen to music but you cant play them in the background while doing something else.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Gambler_3

And since were talking about beefs, I'm running droid 2.3 Gingerbread on my arc S simply because the official ICS 4.0.4 doesn't support combined inbox refresh (idk if the 4.1.B.0.587 fixed that).Kane04
Just like those people who didnt upgrade to iOS 6 because of maps? Seriously your complain is pretty futile every major OS update can bring some drawbacks as well and you didnt even bother checking out the latest update and you are complaining.

And secondly why didnt you get a nexus S instead of arc S? You would be running the latest version right now!!

awptical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 awptical

[QUOTE="awptical"][QUOTE="kraken2109"]

Gambler_3

Because on the computer youtube keeps running it doesnt just go into "audio"mode it's just that the computer is so powerful that its not a problem. I dont think mobile computing is to that level yet to do this sort of multi-tasking. And mobile devices have to worry about battery life as well, I know laptops can do this too but laptops are essentially running desktop OS whereas android is a mobile OS from its foundations so battery life was a concern at every corner of its making.

And FYI iOS 6 cannot do this either. This is basically google intentionally not giving such an option it seems it has nothing to do with the capabilities of an OS. Why they are doing is I have no answer to that.

The only alternative right now is to get a third party youtube app. Currently you CAN play youtube videos through chrome by turning off the screen to just listen to music but you cant play them in the background while doing something else.

I don't think processing power or battery life is the reason. I don' see how iit's any different running Poweramp or Play Music while browsing. It's either lazy coding or some limitation with Android itself.
awptical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 awptical
[QUOTE="awptical"]

Kane04
The stock browser, Opera and Dolphin all support multitabs, at times I can be as many as 10 without a problem really. If you wanna talk about beefs, talk about OS updates, I don't think I'll get the Jelly Bean on my arc S before the world ends. That and bloatware, as far as I know Apple doesn't even allow it on their phones (then again that was just some dude that said it) even so, they get their updates even on ancient hardware. I know its up to the companies to get the OS working on their phones, but excuses aside, one of the biggest strengths, hardware options, its also one of the biggest weaknesses. Look at the "Temple Run" devs for example, they support over 700 phones and 99% of the email they get asking for support is from people complaining their phones aren't supported. And since were talking about beefs, I'm running droid 2.3 Gingerbread on my arc S simply because the official ICS 4.0.4 doesn't support combined inbox refresh (idk if the 4.1.B.0.587 fixed that).

Multi tab yes, but none of them remain active in the background. As soon as you switch to another tab, youtube stops.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Gambler_3

I don't think processing power or battery life is the reason. I don' see how iit's any different running Poweramp or Play Music while browsing. It's either lazy coding or some limitation with Android itself. awptical
Because poweramp and play music are playing only audio. :|

It's a limitation with youtube right now that it is unable to switch to audio mode in the background. It would make no sense to keep the video running in background 99% of phones and tablets would crawl to their knees on that, they have to code it to run only audio in background. You cant do that on a PC or laptop either.

In iOS it was apple who specifically allowed this feature but now that apple no longer has the youtube API license it is all in the hands of google and they arent giving this feature to iOS either. It's not a limitation of any OS it's just google being weird.

They have already given the feature to listen to music on youtube by locking your screen, they might add this feature in future as well.

awptical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 awptical

Probably an attempt to force users into buying music off the play store then. The hardware can easily handle it because the GS3 has that PiP program that lets you play a video anywhwre on your home screen and it runs just fine. Shame on Google.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Gambler_3

Probably an attempt to force users into buying music off the play store then. The hardware can easily handle it because the GS3 has that PiP program that lets you play a video anywhwre on your home screen and it runs just fine. Shame on Google.

awptical

Yes and also I can listen to any locally stored video as an audio song in background through MX player on any android phone so it's totally possible to do.

Google did let us play music by locking the screen on youtube with the last update to chrome. Here's hoping they will implement the background feature as well.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 mystic_knight
Member since 2003 • 13801 Posts
Im pretty sure its due to data costraints of many service proviers, its a way to limit over consuming internet data. In saying that HTC have allowed it to work as my superior desire hd was able to play in dolphin multi tabbed. Then again i had my phone rooted with custom firmware so unsure what was the reason to allow me to play it.
Loegi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Loegi
[QUOTE="Kane04"][QUOTE="awptical"]

awptical

Multi tab yes, but none of them remain active in the background. As soon as you switch to another tab, youtube stops.

Stop lying. I'm doing it right now with Opera Mobile. Youtube on one tab with music playing, and viewing an other tab. Also do this all the time with other javascript things. Still, a music player would probably be better since it wouldn't hog you memory with useless video. If it's on youtube, you can get an mp3.
awptical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 awptical
[QUOTE="Loegi"][QUOTE="awptical"][QUOTE="Kane04"] The stock browser, Opera and Dolphin all support multitabs, at times I can be as many as 10 without a problem really. If you wanna talk about beefs, talk about OS updates, I don't think I'll get the Jelly Bean on my arc S before the world ends. That and bloatware, as far as I know Apple doesn't even allow it on their phones (then again that was just some dude that said it) even so, they get their updates even on ancient hardware. I know its up to the companies to get the OS working on their phones, but excuses aside, one of the biggest strengths, hardware options, its also one of the biggest weaknesses. Look at the "Temple Run" devs for example, they support over 700 phones and 99% of the email they get asking for support is from people complaining their phones aren't supported. And since were talking about beefs, I'm running droid 2.3 Gingerbread on my arc S simply because the official ICS 4.0.4 doesn't support combined inbox refresh (idk if the 4.1.B.0.587 fixed that).

Stop lying. I'm doing it right now with Opera Mobile. Youtube on one tab with music playing, and viewing an other tab. Also do this all the time with other javascript things. Still, a music player would probably be better since it wouldn't hog you memory with useless video. If it's on youtube, you can get an mp3.

Jackass, you'd be the first one able to do something like that, why would I come on here lying about this. Seriously, what a dumb f***. I don't know what phone you have but on but ona GS1 &2 and a Galaxy Nexus, on ANY browser if you switch tabs YouTube immediately stops playing in the other tab. I'm going out on a hunch and saying YOURE the liar here.
awptical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 awptical

Problem solved, got the app "pvstar+" which is basically a music player for YouTube so you can play it in the background while doing other things. Works great

Loegi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Loegi
[QUOTE="awptical"][QUOTE="Loegi"][QUOTE="awptical"] Multi tab yes, but none of them remain active in the background. As soon as you switch to another tab, youtube stops.

Jackass, you'd be the first one able to do something like that, why would I come on here lying about this. Seriously, what a dumb f***. I don't know what phone you have but on but ona GS1 &2 and a Galaxy Nexus, on ANY browser if you switch tabs YouTube immediately stops playing in the other tab. I'm going out on a hunch and saying YOURE the liar here.

I'm not lying. Just tried again with the mobile version of the site, but that doesn't work. But with the desktop version (which is easily enabled in Opera Mobile) it keeps playing. Besides, there are other people who said they could do this. So yes, it's possible to have multiple tabs playing with android. It's just youtube itself that pauses it when not on focus because it's the mobile site, so this problem would also be on any other phone, unless you enable the desktop site (which is also possible on android).
awptical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 awptical
[QUOTE="Loegi"][QUOTE="awptical"][QUOTE="Loegi"] Stop lying. I'm doing it right now with Opera Mobile. Youtube on one tab with music playing, and viewing an other tab. Also do this all the time with other javascript things. Still, a music player would probably be better since it wouldn't hog you memory with useless video. If it's on youtube, you can get an mp3.

I'm not lying. Just tried again with the mobile version of the site, but that doesn't work. But with the desktop version (which is easily enabled in Opera Mobile) it keeps playing. Besides, there are other people who said they could do this. So yes, it's possible to have multiple tabs playing with android. It's just youtube itself that pauses it when not on focus because it's the mobile site, so this problem would also be on any other phone, unless you enable the desktop site (which is also possible on android).

Tried the desktop version in 5 different browsers including Opera and it pauses as soon as I change tabs.
awptical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 awptical

Got a browser called Maxathon, it allows background tabbing unlike the others, has a great feature that preloads the next page also, its my new favorite browser :) <3

WAJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 WAJ
Member since 2003 • 771 Posts

Dolphin browser lets you do that. At least it does on my S3.

-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31 -Renegade
Member since 2007 • 8340 Posts

[QUOTE="awptical"]I don't think processing power or battery life is the reason. I don' see how iit's any different running Poweramp or Play Music while browsing. It's either lazy coding or some limitation with Android itself. Gambler_3

Because poweramp and play music are playing only audio. :|

It's a limitation with youtube right now that it is unable to switch to audio mode in the background. It would make no sense to keep the video running in background 99% of phones and tablets would crawl to their knees on that, they have to code it to run only audio in background. You cant do that on a PC or laptop either.

In iOS it was apple who specifically allowed this feature but now that apple no longer has the youtube API license it is all in the hands of google and they arent giving this feature to iOS either. It's not a limitation of any OS it's just google being weird.

They have already given the feature to listen to music on youtube by locking your screen, they might add this feature in future as well.

You can't play music and watch youtube though with android.
-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32 -Renegade
Member since 2007 • 8340 Posts

Stop lying. I'm doing it right now with Opera Mobile. Youtube on one tab with music playing, and viewing an other tab. Also do this all the time with other javascript things. Still, a music player would probably be better since it wouldn't hog you memory with useless video. If it's on youtube, you can get an mp3.Loegi

I don't know how you are able to do that. Whenever I play a video on youtube it opens up full screen and I can't do anything else.

Avatar image for Cloud_Insurance
Cloud_Insurance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Cloud_Insurance
Member since 2008 • 3279 Posts

Depends on the browser. As someone else mentioned, Maxthon lets you play a youtube video in one tab and will still play the video and audio if you switch to another tab. But then again its just as easy to use something like tubemate to download the audio, video, or both off youtube and play it in something like doubletwist while using your favorite browser.

Loegi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Loegi

[QUOTE="Loegi"]Stop lying. I'm doing it right now with Opera Mobile. Youtube on one tab with music playing, and viewing an other tab. Also do this all the time with other javascript things. Still, a music player would probably be better since it wouldn't hog you memory with useless video. If it's on youtube, you can get an mp3.-Renegade

I don't know how you are able to do that. Whenever I play a video on youtube it opens up full screen and I can't do anything else.

Like I said, I have always show desktop site enabled. So when I go to youtube, it handles the same as on a normal desktop. It only goes to fullscreen when I select that option. It also keeps playing when I switch tabs, though I can notice that 512 mb RAM isn't really enough for stuff like this. I later tried it without that option enabled, and I had the same problem with it going fullscreen without being able to exit it without ending the video. But desktop view is usually better anyway, in my opinion.
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
I have had plenty of tabs open at once, so I have no clue what you are talking about. I use Opera Mobile and Dolphin Browser.