Microsoft Windows Phone / RT Discussion Thread [Temporary]

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Phone and Windows RT discussion thread

Until a discussion board is created, this will be a temporary place for the discussion of:

Windows Phone

Windows RT (ARM)

Windows 8 (x86) (tablets only)

Enjoy!

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 NVIDIATI

To get the ball rolling I'll post a list of some of the devices. Please feel free to post more devices in this thread and they will be added to the list.

Windows 8 (x86) tablets:

ASUS Vivo Tab

0,1462,sz=1&i=298205,00.jpg

Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2

thinkpad-tablet03-1344459784.jpg

Microsoft Surface (Windows 8 Pro)

hero.jpg

Samsung ATIV Smart PC

IFA2012-ATIV%252520Smart%252520PC%252520

Samsung ATIV Smart PC PRO

IFA2012-ATIV%252520Smart%252520PC%252520

Windows RT:

ASUS Vivo Tab RT

Asus-Vivo-Tab-RT.jpg

Microsoft Surface (Windows RT)

hero.jpg

Samsung ATIV Tab

Samsung%252520ATIV%252520Tab%252520Produ

Windows Phone 8:

HTC 8S

41X3cCHXGTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

HTC 8X

51lH3p2T33L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Nokia Lumia 820

700-nokia-lumia-820-red.jpg

Nokia Lumia 920

700-nokia-lumia-920-yellow-front.jpg

Samsung ATIV S

ATIV%252520S%252520Product%252520Image%2

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 mystic_knight
Member since 2003 • 13801 Posts
I suppose it can currently stand here, but ideally as per staff it should be in the PGD. In saying that it would be more appreciated in here than in PGD. I will have a few words with the other mods to see what we can do.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#4 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

No we dont need that many dedicated boards, BB 10 will be coming next year that would need a board as well then. We should just get back to one board and in that we should have stickies to discuss any system war like issues and any threads created to start trouble would be locked.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mystic_knight
I had requested a seperate board or an attachment to this one. so we will hope to see one of the two happen, im quite okay with talk continuing here.
NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 NVIDIATI

@mystic_knight

Thanks!

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NVIDIATI

No we dont need that many dedicated boards, BB 10 will be coming next year that would need a board as well then. We should just get back to one board and in that we should have stickies to discuss any system war like issues and any threads created to start trouble would be locked.

Gambler_3

A dedicated board for Windows Phone and Windows RT will be needed, a board for BB will not. It wouldn't be a stretch to say that Windows Phone 8 and Windows RT are going to become very big, particularly Windows RT (and other Windows 8 tablets), as no other tablet can offer the same type of experience in a low price range. Being a Windows device, it will also attract a good number of normal Windows users who are looking for an alternative to a laptop / netbook .

flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
Hopefully MS will follow through here. I still have a bad taste from Windows Mobile 5/6. The OS and app support was just non-existent - to the point I basically gave up and went back to a Java based device. Still, I'm seeing some nice features with the new Windows mobile. There seems to be strong integration between phone-PC which I'm looking forward to see more of...
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

NVIDIATI

A dedicated board for Windows Phone and Windows RT will be needed, a board for BB will not. It wouldn't be a stretch to say that Windows Phone 8 and Windows RT are going to become very big, particularly Windows RT (and other Windows 8 tablets), as no other tablet can offer the same type of experience in a low price range. Being a Windows device, it will also attract a good number of normal Windows users who are looking for an alternative to a laptop / netbook .

Thats an assumption really, lets not forget BB still has bigger market than windows phone.

We have not seen any serious dev interest in windows RT yet and we dont really know if it can actually do more than current tablets.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

After the Nokia's show yesterday I'm definitely dumping Android for Lumia 920.

I also love the push for hybrids. Been usiing convertible PC laptops for better part of decade and can't imagine ever going back. I just want high end Thinkpad hybrid. Not RT one, but actual genuine x86 thinkpad. Bassicaly something like this with detachable screen:

lenovo-announces-thinkpad-x1-carbon-call

X230t has been dissapointing a bit. So if Lenovo doesn't make Transformer W8 Thinkpad I will propably buy x220t and wait couple years to see how the market will look after the dust settles

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Gambler_3

The lumia 920 is a 185gram brick.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AdrianWerner

Gambler_3

I resigned myself to all smartphones being big heavy and very delicate bricks :(

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

AdrianWerner

I resigned myself to all smartphones being big heavy and very delicate bricks :(

What? The galaxy S3 and HTC one X are very lightweight.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

Gambler_3

Its a 185 grams...

Your car keys weigh more than that.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AdrianWerner

[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

Gambler_3

for such sizes? Sure. Compred to dumb phones though? not so much

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Gambler_3

Its a 185 grams...

Your car keys weigh more than that.

GTR12

No they dont I am not sure if you are serious? The xperia play doesnt weigh that much jeez!!!

for such sizes? Sure. Compred to dumb phones though? not so much

AdrianWerner

They are lighter than the iphone.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AdrianWerner

Gambler_3

Which is also big and heavy,

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

AdrianWerner

Which is also big and heavy,

Its not big at all compared to older gen phones. :?

But yes its heavy. My own phone is 140grams and I wish it was lighter, long calls and playing games while lying down can get tedious. I so love the galaxy S2 for it's weight, wish the galaxy nexus had the same size.

Bangerman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Bangerman15
Member since 2010 • 1978 Posts
should update the windows phone section with the lumia 920/820! anyways hopefully tmobile gets the 920.. looking to get a wp8 and a surface rt next month :) windows phones are super underrated
awptical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 awptical
Member since 2003 • 844 Posts

Wanted so much to like Windows phones/tablets but I absolutely just cant stand that UI. Ugh. I will, however, give them credit for creating an etirely unique experience and I hope they have a lot of success with it. Would be nice to have a 3rd strong competitor in the field for a change.

Avatar image for Human-after-all
Human-after-all

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Human-after-all
Member since 2009 • 2972 Posts
I am personally tired of being in a fragmented market where updating my dual core super phone to the next operating system takes an exceedingly long time (Atrix 4g). I will be ditching Android for Windows on my phone if MS proves to be less inept as Google and creates a unified updating platform where phones don't get left behind 3 months after their release. My only issue is the games I have bought on Android, but if the Windows phone picks up steam right away I have no qualms for ditching. I don't own a modern tablet and will be instantly buying a x86 tablet. I have an HP 2730p which is amazing and having a pen stylus makes all the difference in the world and creates a truly functional tablet.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Gambler_3

I am personally tired of being in a fragmented market where updating my dual core super phone to the next operating system takes an exceedingly long time (Atrix 4g). I will be ditching Android for Windows on my phone if MS proves to be less inept as Google and creates a unified updating platform where phones don't get left behind 3 months after their release. My only issue is the games I have bought on Android, but if the Windows phone picks up steam right away I have no qualms for ditching. I don't own a modern tablet and will be instantly buying a x86 tablet. I have an HP 2730p which is amazing and having a pen stylus makes all the difference in the world and creates a truly functional tablet. Human-after-all
What are you talking about? The lumia 800/900 arent getting windows 8.

And you bought a phone nobody with knowledge would have recommended. You should just stick to the google nexus series if you want updates on day one and avoid US carrier phones.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mystic_knight

[QUOTE="Human-after-all"]I am personally tired of being in a fragmented market where updating my dual core super phone to the next operating system takes an exceedingly long time (Atrix 4g). I will be ditching Android for Windows on my phone if MS proves to be less inept as Google and creates a unified updating platform where phones don't get left behind 3 months after their release. My only issue is the games I have bought on Android, but if the Windows phone picks up steam right away I have no qualms for ditching. I don't own a modern tablet and will be instantly buying a x86 tablet. I have an HP 2730p which is amazing and having a pen stylus makes all the difference in the world and creates a truly functional tablet. Gambler_3

And you bought a phone nobody with knowledge would have recommended. You should just stick to the google nexus series if you want updates on day one and avoid US carrier phones.

The windows mobile game has completely changed Im actually interested in the platform now.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

[QUOTE="Human-after-all"]I am personally tired of being in a fragmented market where updating my dual core super phone to the next operating system takes an exceedingly long time (Atrix 4g). I will be ditching Android for Windows on my phone if MS proves to be less inept as Google and creates a unified updating platform where phones don't get left behind 3 months after their release. My only issue is the games I have bought on Android, but if the Windows phone picks up steam right away I have no qualms for ditching. I don't own a modern tablet and will be instantly buying a x86 tablet. I have an HP 2730p which is amazing and having a pen stylus makes all the difference in the world and creates a truly functional tablet. mystic_knight

The windows mobile game has completely changed Im actually interested in the platform now.

That was not the point. His criticism of being unable to update his android phone from an un recommended OEM is not of any point since the same is the case with EVERY current windows phone and not just the bad ones.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mystic_knight

[QUOTE="mystic_knight"][QUOTE="Gambler_3"]What are you talking about? The lumia 800/900 arent getting windows 8.

Gambler_3

That was not the point. His criticism of being unable to update his android phone from an un recommended OEM is not of any point since the same is the case with EVERY current windows phone and not just the bad ones.

True but maybe from this version onwards they will be updateable.. Who knows. windows 7 was more like a beta rom.
Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#26 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

I'm really trying to like Windows Phones because they're ease of use and graphical fluidity are superb. But the stylization of the OS still makes me feel like I'm trapped in an endless series of drop down menus. And I'd prefer to do away with vibrant colors for my tiles, I'd prefer a simple gray, glass, carbon design instead.

As for W8, I can't wait to test drive it on a tablet. I feel like the current mobile OSs do one platform better than the other but not both at the same time. I mean, iOS > Android for mobile phones, but Android > iOS for tablet use. W8 looks to be the best offering but only because it's at least closer to what people are used to on their desktop systems.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Gambler_3

I mean, iOS > Android for mobile phones, but Android > iOS for tablet use.

Basinboy

You got it completely opposite my friend. :P

Avatar image for Human-after-all
Human-after-all

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Human-after-all
Member since 2009 • 2972 Posts

[QUOTE="Human-after-all"]I am personally tired of being in a fragmented market where updating my dual core super phone to the next operating system takes an exceedingly long time (Atrix 4g). I will be ditching Android for Windows on my phone if MS proves to be less inept as Google and creates a unified updating platform where phones don't get left behind 3 months after their release. My only issue is the games I have bought on Android, but if the Windows phone picks up steam right away I have no qualms for ditching. I don't own a modern tablet and will be instantly buying a x86 tablet. I have an HP 2730p which is amazing and having a pen stylus makes all the difference in the world and creates a truly functional tablet. Gambler_3

I really must state how I said IF MS has a better updating platform? I bought a phone nobody with knowledge would recommend? How so? Phone got relatively great reviews and even praise on this forum. I guess I should get a crystal ball so I could see motorola being painfully slow at updating their phones and having excessive hardware issues (maybe it is mine, doesn't change my opinion). I guess hindsight is 20/20 for forum know-it-alls?
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

[QUOTE="Human-after-all"]I am personally tired of being in a fragmented market where updating my dual core super phone to the next operating system takes an exceedingly long time (Atrix 4g). I will be ditching Android for Windows on my phone if MS proves to be less inept as Google and creates a unified updating platform where phones don't get left behind 3 months after their release. My only issue is the games I have bought on Android, but if the Windows phone picks up steam right away I have no qualms for ditching. I don't own a modern tablet and will be instantly buying a x86 tablet. I have an HP 2730p which is amazing and having a pen stylus makes all the difference in the world and creates a truly functional tablet. Human-after-all

I really must state how I said IF MS has a better updating platform? I bought a phone nobody with knowledge would recommend? How so? Phone got relatively great reviews and even praise on this forum. I guess I should get a crystal ball so I could see motorola being painfully slow at updating their phones and having excessive hardware issues (maybe it is mine, doesn't change my opinion). I guess hindsight is 20/20 for forum know-it-alls?

Okay fine but now that you know motorola sucks how about ditch motorola instead of android? It's not googles fault that motorola didnt update your phone, motorola was not a part of google then and even now they arent really interfering in their business too much.

My phone was released in november 2010 and is right now on android jelly bean. The next nexus phone will be released along side the windows 8 phones, there is no reason for you to ditch android because of one company. The google nexus is the most well supported smartphone you can buy.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 NVIDIATI

UPDATE:

As Windows Phone 8, Windows RT, and Windows 8 are officially on the market, I will be adding more devices to the list in the coming days.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 NVIDIATI

A few days back I spent the day using the Rogers version of the Nokia Lumia 920.

NUSA-PP-CA-Image-Carousal-Images-01-png.

The phone was rather heavy, it also happened to be one of the best phones I've seen in terms of build quality.

The OS and response of the display was very smooth, viewing angles aren't the best, but not terrible. I never spent much time with Windows Phone 7, so I can't comment on the features introduced in Windows Phone 8.

The camera was nice, daylight photos are okay, night/dark photos are easily the best. The video quality was outstanding for a phone, one factor that left a good impression was the microphone quality.

I played with some apps, watched video and toyed with the settings, no complaints. The voice commands did the job, but are not as fluid as those seen on Android.

Nokia maps wasn't too bad, but still felt behind Google maps, however I did like the ability to download the maps for offline use.

Despite the weight, I could easily see myself using a phone of this size.

Overall I thought it was a great phone, I'm certain there are some who would benefit from this phone (especially at $99 on contract), but as it is, I would not.