LG Nexus 4 Thread - Lots of pictures

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PinkiePirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 PinkiePirate
Member since 2012 • 1973 Posts

Hey guys! Just wanted to make a thread where we can discuss the upcoming LG Nexus 4! Here are the leaked images:

IMG_20121010_005707.png

lg-nexus-4-9-630x419.jpg

lg-nexus-4-buttons.jpg

lg-nexus-review-8-630x420.jpg

Is this a possible screenshot? Look how Google's screenshot is wider than mine:

My phone - Galaxy Nexus:

12+-+1

Theirs - Nexus 4:

widget-final.png

Sneaky, Google. =D

I will try to add stuff here when I get more links and info.

For specs, go here:

http://androidandme.com/2012/10/smartphones-2/more-lg-nexus-pictures-surface-with-specs-attached/

• 1.5 Ghz Quad-core Snapdragon S4
  • Adreno 320 GPU
  • 2GB ram
  • 1280x768 Super IPS display
  • 8mp camera
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 mystic_knight
Member since 2003 • 13801 Posts
Ooooh Tali is cute. does she come with the phone?
DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#3 DeadMan1290
Member since 2005 • 15752 Posts

I like it.

awptical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 awptical
Member since 2003 • 844 Posts

No sd card+non removable battery+LG+huge bezel+on screen buttons+only8 or 16gb+ rumored to not be lte = one massive fail. The design on the back of the device looks nice but the rest is severely disappointing.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts
Ooooh Tali is cute. does she come with the phone?mystic_knight
Yes she's the new siri :P
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mystic_knight
[QUOTE="mystic_knight"]Ooooh Tali is cute. does she come with the phone?kraken2109
Yes she's the new siri :P

Woohoo! Im getting this phone pre ordered NOW! Actually on topic of this phone, i heard it doesn't have LTE, that is now a deal breaker. If i can get 16gb with LTE i am convinced and will definitely get this pre ordered. Especially Tali, im not sure what i would do with our version of Siri.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#7 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

huge bezel+on screen buttons

awptical

It's not huge its just normal and thats how it should be. Having to touch the very bottom of the phone for back and home buttons is NOT ergonomic.

And whats wrong with on-screen buttons? It's an advantage lol.

awptical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 awptical
Member since 2003 • 844 Posts

Because it takes up screen space and gaming is annoying when you constantly hit one buttons taking up valuable space. After almost a year with the Galaxy Nexus, I think on screen buttons are more of an annoyance than anything. I cant count how many times ive accidently hit the home key when gaming or when it bugs out and the on screen buttons disappear. The capacitive keys on HTC phones are much more to my liking. And they dont take up screen space either.

PinkiePirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PinkiePirate
Member since 2012 • 1973 Posts

Oooo. The sim slot is on the side!

lg-nexus-review-8-630x420.jpg

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Gambler_3

Because it takes up screen space and gaming is annoying when you constantly hit one buttons taking up valuable space. After almost a year with the Galaxy Nexus, I think on screen buttons are more of an annoyance than anything. I cant count how many times ive accidently hit the home key when gaming or when it bugs out and the on screen buttons disappear. The capacitive keys on HTC phones are much more to my liking. And they dont take up screen space either.

awptical

So you are really complaining about buttons taking space on a 4.7" screen? On-screen buttons are the most flexible solution, google can make any changes to the OS in the future and a phone with on-screen buttons will have no problem handling it. And once you get into modding your phone you can change the color of the buttons, add custom buttons etc.

Accidentally hitting a capacitive key is just as easy and even more if they are at the bottom so again I dont get your point. Actually I thought galaxy nexus had a setting to require a long press on the home button to press it? I am sure it can be done through a mod not sure if out of the box you can do that.

I havent used the galaxy nexus as a daily driver but whenever I have used it I have instantly found the on-screen buttons to be the most natural and intuitive solution.

semianonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 semianonymous
Member since 2007 • 6685 Posts

[QUOTE="awptical"]It's not huge its just normal and thats how it should be. Having to touch the very bottom of the phone for back and home buttons is NOT ergonomic.

And whats wrong with on-screen buttons? It's an advantage lol.

Gambler_3

[QUOTE="awptical"]

Gambler_3

So you are really complaining about buttons taking space on a 4.7" screen? On-screen buttons are the most flexible solution, google can make any changes to the OS in the future and a phone with on-screen buttons will have no problem handling it. And once you get into modding your phone you can change the color of the buttons, add custom buttons etc.

Accidentally hitting a capacitive key is just as easy and even more if they are at the bottom so again I dont get your point. Actually I thought galaxy nexus had a setting to require a long press on the home button to press it? I am sure it can be done through a mod not sure if out of the box you can do that.

I havent used the galaxy nexus as a daily driver but whenever I have used it I have instantly found the on-screen buttons to be the most natural and intuitive solution.

I'm going to speak from a unique position on this one. Here is an image of my phone, a T-mobile Galaxy S2:Samsung-Hercules.jpg

As you can see, the buttons are close to the bottom. Very close. However, I'm also running AOKP, which allows me to put a nav bar at the bottom, which I have done (in many setups, standard android, custom, etc)

A) On screen buttons are easier to hit on accident. This is just a fact. This is also a matter of adjustment, I've already gotten much better at not doing it.

B) Buttons at the bottom of a very small bezel aremagnificent. The samsung logo makes for a very obvious point for my fingers to stop traveling, and more importantly, they vanish as soon as I'm not using them. On screen buttons don't ever turn invisible, as is their design.

B 2) Where did you get the idea that buttons at the bottom of the bezel makes it easier to press? I'm trying to hold my S2 in a way that would cause me to accidentally hit the buttons with my hand or thumb or anything, really and the only way I can do it is amazingly uncomfortable.

C) Single press multi-tasking button is the best thing ever compared to holding home

D) GESTURES. The nav bar is being set up as a gesture launcher, and in my mind this fully justifes its existence. As is, if you slide up on the home button, you can bring up google now. This is something that capacitive buttons just can't do without special hardware, whereas any normal android phone can have on screen gestures.

tl;dr On screen buttons aren't ready yet. The menu button debacle needs to be sorted out, for one (gimme some more gestures, google!), and its still easier to accidentally strike an on screen button.

Its also worth noting that the bottom bezel on the new nexus is huge and gross and I don't get it. Its not a very appealing phone, its like the G2X/O2X and the GalNex had a baby, visually, but at least the hardware is solid (lol storage). The back bedazzled nonsense is funky too.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Gambler_3

The menu button debacle shows why you NEED on-screen buttons. It shows up whenever its needed whereas for those phones which are using capacitive buttons without a menu button(HTC one series) use a black bar at the bottom of the screen only for the menu button and thats displayed all the time whether the app needs it or not.

The big problem with the menu key was that you never know when an app offers more options by pressing it, many times I would discover more options in an app simply because I never clicked the menu button before. With on screen buttons you instantly know when an app has an extra menu or not.

The only other acceptable solution is that of samsung to have a hardware home button but with that configuration you lose out on the dedicated multi-tasking button.

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
I like it but only 8gb and no sd card slot kills it for me. Make it 32gb and I would be sold if I was looking for a new phone. I really like the on screen buttons on my tablet, really flexible for when you need a menu button or not. Google is pushing cloud to far. I need at least 6gb for music and no cloud music wont ever cut it until there reception is 100% of my country which will never happen. Cloud has it's good points but you still need lots of internal storage for some things. If they would just put in a sd card slot it would be perfect but it seems google doesn't want sd cards as every recent nexus device has none. They have killed it the same way they killed the nexus 7 for me.
-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 -Renegade
Member since 2007 • 8340 Posts
Galaxy S III is still top dog.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kraken2109

Don't understand the lack of memory card slots on modern phones.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

kraken2109

My best guess is that they want to force the "cloud" on us so we have to pay for subscription services to access our content from their servers instead of directly from the hardware on our phones.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 kraken2109

[QUOTE="kraken2109"]

Vari3ty

My best guess is that they want to force the "cloud" on us so we have to pay for subscription services to access our content from their servers instead of directly from the hardware on our phones.

Or maybe they're turning into apple and forcing us to pay another £100 to get 8GB more storage.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

[QUOTE="kraken2109"]

kraken2109

Or maybe they're turning into apple and forcing us to pay another £100 to get 8GB more storage.

I dont think any android OEM is actually doing that currently....

-Karmum-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 -Karmum-
Member since 2007 • 3775 Posts
Love most of the specs, but it honestly looks exactly the same as my...wait for it...Galaxy Nexus. Honestly, I should have 8MP on my phone instead of 5MP, and the rest of the specs look great, but I just bought the Galaxy Nexus back in July for $350. ...unless Google will give like $200 credit or something if you trade your Galaxy Nexus in. Then I'm in.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kraken2109

[QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

Gambler_3

Either way no memory card slot is pretty disappointing, especially on something like a nexus 7.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

[QUOTE="kraken2109"] Or maybe they're turning into apple and forcing us to pay another £100 to get 8GB more storage.kraken2109

Either way no memory card slot is pretty disappointing, especially on something like a nexus 7.

Yup. :(

I dont even understand this policy, they are releasing a specific 32GB version when you know they could have just released it with a micro SD card, nobody would even complain then about the lack of 32GB version. 16GB + SD card is all I need.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kraken2109

[QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="Gambler_3"]I dont think any android OEM is actually doing that currently....

Gambler_3

Yup. :(

I dont even understand this policy, they are releasing a specific 32GB version when you know they could have just released it with a micro SD card, nobody would even complain then about the lack of 32GB version. 16GB + SD card is all I need.

I really doubt adding a memory card slots is a big cost to them.
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mystic_knight
BUT now people will sell their 8gb or 16gb version and get a new 32gb version :P See how a business thinks?
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Gambler_3

BUT now people will sell their 8gb or 16gb version and get a new 32gb version :P See how a business thinks?mystic_knight
Google doesnt care what version you buy as long as you use an android tablet with google services. Google just has something mysteriously against SD card slots.