Lets talk about Cyanogenmod 9 (spoilers its great)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

semianonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 semianonymous
Member since 2007 • 6685 Posts

So, I have this nifty touchpad. Barely used it when it had WebOS (too much basic stuff missing--no spell check in document editing?! really?), used it more why XROMified CM7 came along and now that I've shoved CM9 Alpha 0 on it, holy hell I'm looking for every excuse to use it.

Let me be clear: it is not perfect. Wifi dies on occasion and I have to restart the connection. Titanium causes a complete reboot of the device. Some apps and games just don't work yet. Front facing camera is borked.

But do not mistake this for reasons why ICS is bad. Quite the opposite, ICS is easily the most important update I've ever seen on android (and I've seen and experienced each and every one of the version updates), and its flat out incredible. In a single sentence, its figured out how to make everything feel connected, cohesive and consistent.

Everything is smooth, silky and delicious (and theres no Hardware Acceleration yet!). This, despite what we've become used to, is really a huge step for android, and don't post here about how your Galaxy S 2 is perfectly smooth and all that noise. Its got nothing on how this looks and feels. I've used several GS2s, including OC'd ones. They come close, but not quite. My G2X feels straight up laggy compared to this. More importantly, and stupidly enough, the animations also help tremendously. They aren't insane, very subtle and nice, but I adore them. It sounds weird, but even though jumping from google voice to the home screen is no different than it is on my phone (and I think its actually slightly faster on my phone, but I could be imagining that), it just...feels so much nicer.

Its much easier to use, too. Multitasking is much more intuitive and visually appealing. Its not some bizarre popup window anymore that feels alien to the OS, its now a permanent fixture of the OS, smooth and lovely to use.

Basically, android's nailed the polish and personally, I think the user interface as well. The only real complaint I can leverage against ICS is getting to the settings menu now takes 3 presses. Why? No idea, but I hate it. Other than that...well, Android has entered a mature adulthood, after middling around during the 1.x and 2.x days. Once the finalized builds start rolling out, I honestly think android has met and exceeded the standard iOS has set.

PEELEDbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 PEELEDbanana
Member since 2006 • 2053 Posts

cm9 really needs to come out with a stable build for the evo 4g here soon; I am chomping at the bit for it.

Loegi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Loegi
Member since 2009 • 1692 Posts
Too bad it's such a hassle to root the desire Z, I would love to have CM9.
SoraX64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 SoraX64
Member since 2008 • 29221 Posts
The only real complaint I can leverage against ICS is getting to the settings menu now takes 3 presses. semianonymous
:? 1. Drag down notification bar 2. Press settings or 1. Press menu 2. Press settings Same as always...
Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Rikusaki
Member since 2006 • 16634 Posts

I have CM9 on my Atrix. It's beautiful. It's an improvement in every way.

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
[QUOTE="semianonymous"]The only real complaint I can leverage against ICS is getting to the settings menu now takes 3 presses. SoraX64
:? 1. Drag down notification bar 2. Press settings or 1. Press menu 2. Press settings Same as always...

ah - on the ICS-native phones, the hardware buttons will all likely be gone, so no menu button. from the home screen. :( it's that way on the gnex, which actually annoyed me a bit. i did drop a 'settings' shortcut group on my homescreen too, though.
semianonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 semianonymous
Member since 2007 • 6685 Posts

[QUOTE="semianonymous"]The only real complaint I can leverage against ICS is getting to the settings menu now takes 3 presses. SoraX64

HP touchpad and drag down the notification bar are mutually exclusive. On a tablet, you need to

A) Make a shortcut

B) tap the bottom right corner, tap the pop up, tap settings

C) app drawer>scroll to settings>settings

Xeogua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Xeogua
Member since 2010 • 1542 Posts

I just want it on my Razr :(

QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 QuistisTrepe_
Member since 2010 • 4121 Posts

I'll hold off on it for awhile. The thing is still an alpha build isn't?