KitKat will make your SD Card completely useless

This topic is locked from further discussion.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

Unfortunately I found this article after my phone updated today:

"KitKat will make your SD Card completely useless: per the Android API specification, apps can no longer write files to your SD card. And Samsung is following it... What this means is that with KitKat, applications will no longer be able create, modify, or remove files and folders on your external SD card."

https://plus.google.com/+TodLiebeck/posts/gjnmuaDM8sn

It's like google wants everyone to switch to iphones. This especially aggravates me as I have a 64 gig sd card that is essentially useless now, except for taking movies and photos.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

@topgunmv: thanks for the heads up

Google play store is in need for some change. I want it remain open, but they need do something

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#3 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

Not good.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

I have a Note 2 due to upgrade towards end of year, I want either the HTC ONE M8, or LG/Sonys flagship device.

Anyway with this news I'll certainly be rooting my new device and using a custom rom that will support SD cards.

coolhady13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 coolhady13
Member since 2009 • 62 Posts

i have kitkat . my sd card isnt useless :D

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#7  Edited By Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

This has been a very misunderstood thing. Basically devs will have to update their apps to include SD card support, those apps which are not updated will be the ones that wont be able to use the SD card. So if you have a file manager that hasn't been updated then ya your SD card is useless. But you probably shouldn't be using a file manager that doesn't bother to provide timely updates.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

@Gambler_3 said:

This has been a very misunderstood thing. Basically devs will have to update their apps to include SD card support, those apps which are not updated will be the ones that wont be able to use the SD card. So if you have a file manager that hasn't been updated then ya your SD card is useless. But you probably shouldn't be using a file manager that doesn't bother to provide timely updates.

The main thing I noticed is that I had to move all my saved flixter movies from my sd card to my phone's storage.

Now it looks like I can download to the sd card again.