iOS growth doubles Android in last three months

This topic is locked from further discussion.

deleteduser198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deleteduser198
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

http://articles.businessinsider.com/2012-04-25/news/31397102_1_ios-ipad-sales-apple

http://legalnews.findlaw.com/article/07Zm84c4XlbVH

http://www.techinvestornews.com/Apple/Latest-Apple-News/apple-ios-market-growth-doubles-android-over-last-three-months-report-says

And we're only a few months away from iPhone 5.

/android

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

If only there was a place that would allow these different systems to do battle...

It would be like a war...

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 mystic_knight
Member since 2003 • 13801 Posts

If only there was a place that would allow these different systems to do battle...

NVIDIATI
:P Mobile wars = more potent System wars.
NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

[QUOTE="NVIDIATI"]

mystic_knight

:P Mobile wars = more potent System wars.

Well I decided to make a thread in SW, so maybe we can direct some of the traffic there.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29220202/the-official-android-vs-ios-thread-56k

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#5 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

USA \\=\\ World. :roll:

Secondly ladies and gentleman this is the DOUBLE growth we are talking about.

486390_10151861619470316_157300363_n.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:

And add to the fact that this is US we are talking about the DOUBLE growth becomes even less relevant. Stick to your profit figures apple is unlikely to ever topple android marketshare.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#6 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

And add to the fact that this is US we are talking about the DOUBLE growth becomes even less relevant. Stick to your profit figures apple is unlikely to ever topple android marketshare.

Gambler_3
I'm not sure market share is worth discussing as much as you'd like to think it is. ICS only made it to 10% of Android handsets, and we're already moving to jellybean. That's a lot of gingerbread out there... Web usage numbers are the really telling numbers, because it's a usage statistic, and usage directly correlates with ease of use and overall usability, another area in which iOS is absolutely squashing everyone else (and still gaining). Link.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

musicalmac

I'm not sure market share is worth discussing as much as you'd like to think it is. ICS only made it to 10% of Android handsets, and we're already moving to jellybean. That's a lot of gingerbread out there... Web usage numbers are the really telling numbers, because it's a usage statistic, and usage directly correlates with ease of use and overall usability, another area in which iOS is absolutely squashing everyone else (and still gaining). Link.

What the hell does internet usage has to do with ease of use and overall usability? Internet usage \\=\\ overall phone usage!!

"Breaking down the results by device, the iPad was the leader in June with a 36.7 percent share, followed by the iPhone with 26.8 percent."

It would be better to keep away ipad from such statistics as android has no established player in the tablet market yet and nobody really tries to argue that until maybe a nexus 10 tablet comes. Android has lost the tablet war and it seems an even more uphill battle once the microsoft surface comes.

And compared to iOS gingerbread is still a superior phone platform and 99% of apps are compatible with it. It has facebook integration and free navigation as well btw!! :lol:

semianonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 semianonymous
Member since 2007 • 6685 Posts

are you really declaring the opposition dead because of 1 percentage point?

Doesn't that seem a bit, uh, dumb?

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

musicalmac

yet ios is still playing catch up to froyo and wp7. ios has the worst ui but the most apps and biggest fan base. ios to andriod is like what win xp is to mac os 10. It has the most dev support and apps but there hasn't been any real improvements for years.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 musicalmac  Moderator
yet ios is still playing catch up to froyo and wp7. ios has the worst ui but the most apps and biggest fan base. ios to andriod is like what win xp is to mac os 10. It has the most dev support and apps but there hasn't been any real improvements for years. imprezawrx500
I don't think you know much about iOS.
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 imprezawrx500
[QUOTE="imprezawrx500"]yet ios is still playing catch up to froyo and wp7. ios has the worst ui but the most apps and biggest fan base. ios to andriod is like what win xp is to mac os 10. It has the most dev support and apps but there hasn't been any real improvements for years. musicalmac
I don't think you know much about iOS.

how about you tell me what ios does better than android 2x then? wp7 has the fastest interface, yes it beats ios and all current devices are less powerful than the 4s. People may prefer a certain os but wp7 is super fast and never lags, just it lacks apps. I can see some people like the way ios works but it really doesn't do anything better than other mobile operating systems. Why would you want all you apps littering you home screens when you can have them in a nice organised app draw where all the apps you hardly use sit? Apple really needs to give ios a serious facelift, it is years behind the competition in visuals. It has barley changed since 2007 while android has massively improved in that time. Would you want every program installed on your computer on your desktop? That's how ios works.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 musicalmac  Moderator
I don't think you know much about iOS. musicalmac
how about you tell me what ios does better than android 2x then? wp7 has the fastest interface, yes it beats ios and all current devices are less powerful than the 4s. People may prefer a certain os but wp7 is super fast and never lags, just it lacks apps. I can see some people like the way ios works but it really doesn't do anything better than other mobile operating systems. Why would you want all you apps littering you home screens when you can have them in a nice organised app draw where all the apps you hardly use sit? Apple really needs to give ios a serious facelift, it is years behind the competition in visuals. It has barley changed since 2007 while android has massively improved in that time. Would you want every program installed on your computer on your desktop? That's how ios works. imprezawrx500
^^^ Case in point. ^^^

It's not my duty to educate you. It's your choice to blindly and willingly entrench yourself in an OS developed by a search engine and an ad-revenue dependent company. I'll continue to enjoy the products made by an innovative consumer electronics device and software company. If you do not understand the differences between these two company philosophies, I cannot help you.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Gambler_3

It's your choice to blindly and willingly entrench yourself in an OS developed by a search engine and an ad-revenue dependent company. I'll continue to enjoy the products made by an innovative consumer electronics device and software company. musicalmac
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

MisterG333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MisterG333
Member since 2007 • 741 Posts

[QUOTE="musicalmac"]It's your choice to blindly and willingly entrench yourself in an OS developed by a search engine and an ad-revenue dependent company. I'll continue to enjoy the products made by an innovative consumer electronics device and software company. Gambler_3

Oh god that's some damage control http://www.mobile-ent.biz/news/read/android-bags-half-of-smartphone-sales-across-europe-australia-and-us/018601
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 mystic_knight
Member since 2003 • 13801 Posts
[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

[QUOTE="musicalmac"]It's your choice to blindly and willingly entrench yourself in an OS developed by a search engine and an ad-revenue dependent company. I'll continue to enjoy the products made by an innovative consumer electronics device and software company. MisterG333

Oh god that's some damage control http://www.mobile-ent.biz/news/read/android-bags-half-of-smartphone-sales-across-europe-australia-and-us/018601

Only the US benefited from more sales in iOS, GB benefited a little but was still generating more sales on android. Interesting data. I suspect if the iPhone 5 becomes the hit the apple fans are wanting it to be, it may again take some sales.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Gambler_3

Neither android nor iOS have cut into each others sales so far! They have both been growing at the expense of RIM, nokia and ofcourse new smartphone customers. It will be interesting to see for how long can both the OS continue to grow.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 musicalmac  Moderator
Oh god that's some damage controlMisterG333
Apple is the most valuable traded company in the world with more than twice Microsoft's liquid assets, and have been responsible for kicking off the personal media player revolution, the smartphone revolution, and the tablet revolution.

I couldn't do damage control for Apple if I tried.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="MisterG333"]Oh god that's some damage controlmusicalmac
Apple is the most valuable traded company in the world with more than twice Microsoft's liquid assets, and have been responsible for kicking off the personal media player revolution, the smartphone revolution, and the tablet revolution.

I couldn't do damage control for Apple if I tried.

Fixed. -mac

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 musicalmac  Moderator
To respond to that image -- In those past two instances, Apple wasn't worth more than big oil. That enough is the reason why Apple's long-term future is more secured than any other tech company in the world today. Apple has the liquid assets to buy Adobe, Electronic Arts, HTC, and RIM and still have double digit billions in the bank.

That chart is quite complimentary, though. It's nice to see people acknowledging Apple's pioneering of new markets, thus citing their innovations and contributions to what you all enjoy today. In that sense it's realistic. Can we get a link to the original article? I'd be curious what it has to say behind this chart. It looks to me as though the article would focus on how Apple today is a different company than before, because those two previous "cycles" used above happened a long, long, long time ago.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Gambler_3

I have no link for where the chart originated, I just found it posted in the comments of an article on verge.

Remember microsoft was once valued more than what apple is right now. It didnt really take microsoft a huge failure to drop that much, they just didnt innovate much and in order to stay that high you gotta keep doing original things.

Apple earns more than 50% of it's earnings from iphone, just one product line. Wouldnt call that a very safe future one disappointing iphone launch and bam you could have atleast one third of that market value chopped off.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 musicalmac  Moderator

I have no link for where the chart originated, I just found it posted in the comments of an article on verge.

Remember microsoft was once valued more than what apple is right now. It didnt really take microsoft a huge failure to drop that much, they just didnt innovate much and in order to stay that high you gotta keep doing original things.

Apple earns more than 50% of it's earnings from iphone, just one product line. Wouldnt call that a very safe future one disappointing iphone launch and bam you could have atleast one third of that market value chopped off.

Gambler_3
Just found a random chart? It's complimentary in it's whole, so it was nice of you to post it.

And it took Microsoft 10 years to loose their edge and influence on the direction of technology. Right now Apple is untouchable, and the 100 billion+ in the bank will allow them to operate in that untouchable environment for a long time to come.

You're demonstrating again how little you understand Apple and the market. Apple will not lost 1/3rd of their value with a "what if" phantom terrible iPhone launch. It would have to be a green and black dot matrix display on a 4lb flip phone to fail at launch.

I think the really interesting phenomenon we have is that there are people that appreciate Apple products and design philosophy, and then there are people that hate Apple and want to see them fail. That latter is a sad existence in any arena of life. We're all in this together.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Gambler_3

No what I am talking about is a "disappointing" release not a failure, obviously an iphone launch cant just "fail". They said a playstation product couldnt disappoint either, look what happened to that brand!!

The point of the chart wasnt to praise or degrade apple, it's just something I found interesting. Nobody can deny that apple was the first to do alot of big things in the tech world but it is also true they have failed badly in the past after doing some incredible things. So many companies try to copy apple products but they dont understand that it's not the products which make apple so successful it's the business model and thats what really should be copied.

deleteduser198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deleteduser198
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

No what I am talking about is a "disappointing" release not a failure, obviously an iphone launch cant just "fail". They said a playstation product couldnt disappoint either, look what happened to that brand!!

The point of the chart wasnt to praise or degrade apple, it's just something I found interesting. Nobody can deny that apple was the first to do alot of big things in the tech world but it is also true they have failed badly in the past after doing some incredible things. So many companies try to copy apple products but they dont understand that it's not the products which make apple so successful it's the business model and thats what really should be copied.

Gambler_3
Yes. It's the product that's successful. Take those blinders off. As for "copying" apples business model? :lol: Good luck with that. Apple has a legendary hold on the entire supply chain for every hardware line they offer. How is this possible? About 100 billion in their coffers and the five-year foresight to procure all these things before even telling us what the iPhone was four years ago.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

Kid-Atari

Yes. It's the product that's successful. Take those blinders off. As for "copying" apples business model? :lol: Good luck with that. Apple has a legendary hold on the entire supply chain for every hardware line they offer. How is this possible? About 100 billion in their coffers and the five-year foresight to procure all these things before even telling us what the iPhone was four years ago.

Apple's business model is

1. Concentrating on few key areas instead of producing every thing in the world.

2. Not offer a dozen different models to confuse customers. Also fewer products means an individual product can get world wide recognition more easily which enhances brand value.

3. Have attractive, straightforward and uncomplicated naming schemes. You dont have to look at online reviews to figure out that an iphone 4S is better than iphone 4. Sadly other companies just dont get it. Look at dell and HP laptops the sort of ridiculous names they can have, same goes for samsung phones. Buying apple products is so easy you dont need to do "research". Buying a windows laptop in particular can be afrustrating process even for someone knowledgeable.

4. Exclusive retail stores.

5. Having predictable launch times for product successors so customers can more easily make decisions.

I dont like apple products but I have immense respect for how they do business. You could call it a business philosophy instead of model. People dont buy apple products because of the Ghz or the megapixel they buy them because it's an apple product.

Currently the only business model that's very opposite from apple and yet very successful is samsung. But I do believe samsung could go higher if they were to get a bit more leaner and specialized. Heck it may look like a really diversified business which it is but currently they are eaning 70% profits from the mobile division so technically it's also the focus on a key area thats brought them success.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 musicalmac  Moderator

Apple's business model is

1. Concentrating on few key areas instead of producing every thing in the world.

2. Not offer a dozen different models to confuse customers. Also fewer products means an individual product can get world wide recognition more easily which enhances brand value.

3. Have attractive, straightforward and uncomplicated naming schemes. You dont have to look at online reviews to figure out that an iphone 4S is better than iphone 4. Sadly other companies just dont get it. Look at dell and HP laptops the sort of ridiculous names they can have, same goes for samsung phones. Buying apple products is so easy you dont need to do "research". Buying a windows laptop in particular can be afrustrating process even for someone knowledgeable.

4. Exclusive retail stores.

5. Having predictable launch times for product successors so customers can more easily make decisions.

I dont like apple products but I have immense respect for how they do business. You could call it a business philosophy instead of model. People dont buy apple products because of the Ghz or the megapixel they buy them because it's an apple product.

Currently the only business model that's very opposite from apple and yet very successful is samsung. But I do believe samsung could go higher if they were to get a bit more leaner and specialized. Heck it may look like a really diversified business which it is but currently they are eaning 70% profits from the mobile division so technically it's also the focus on a key area thats brought them success.

Gambler_3
Kudos, agree. That's the smartest thing you've ever said.
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 imprezawrx500
To respond to that image -- In those past two instances, Apple wasn't worth more than big oil. That enough is the reason why Apple's long-term future is more secured than any other tech company in the world today. Apple has the liquid assets to buy Adobe, Electronic Arts, HTC, and RIM and still have double digit billions in the bank.

That chart is quite complimentary, though. It's nice to see people acknowledging Apple's pioneering of new markets, thus citing their innovations and contributions to what you all enjoy today. In that sense it's realistic. Can we get a link to the original article? I'd be curious what it has to say behind this chart. It looks to me as though the article would focus on how Apple today is a different company than before, because those two previous "cycles" used above happened a long, long, long time ago.musicalmac
yeah until they suddenly go crashing down like nokia or blackberry has. No company stays at the top for ever and they start to think nothing can touch them.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 musicalmac  Moderator
yeah until they suddenly go crashing down like nokia or blackberry has. No company stays at the top for ever and they start to think nothing can touch them. imprezawrx500
Neither of those companies had more than 100 billion dollars in liquid assets. I'm not claiming Apple is impervious to failure, but a couple of you don't seem to understand what that kind of financial security means. You're really not even saying anything relevant or useful to this thread, because you have no clue as to how Apple operates and what sorts of things they've put into place to do all they can to ensure future success.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Gambler_3

Apple wont become like another near insolvent company in any foreseeable future but they sure can become like microsoft if some things dont go their way. Microsoft is still a hugely successful company but not at all what they used to be.

Mr_BillGates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 Mr_BillGates
Member since 2005 • 3211 Posts

One phone vs all. Apple must be proud of their accomplishments.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Gambler_3

One phone vs all. Apple must be proud of their accomplishments.

Mr_BillGates

lol no if samsung was also only making one phone it well sell alot more than any of their current phone. More choice = less sales for one phone.