iOS 6 releases TODAY

This topic is locked from further discussion.

deleteduser198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deleteduser198
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Anyone else doing the OTA update? Just one hour away from getting iOS 6... Looking forward to the newest iteration of the best mobile OS!
AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
It says I need wifi for mine
Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
It's pretty slick. Playing with it on my iPhone now. Only hiccup so far is it refusing to download updates for 3 apps because it apparently lacks space at 3GB. Time will tell if it ment I needed wifi
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#4 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
Finally have my feet on the ground again. Downloading now.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Seems to be a glitch in the update system for apps. Seems hitting update one at a time for each app that needs updating will work fine, but hitting 'update all' for the exact same apps will deliver a 'lack of space' error.
EliteM0nk3y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 EliteM0nk3y
Member since 2010 • 3382 Posts
Anyone else having a problem connecting to wifi? my touch can't connect even though i was just connected to it right before i updated to iOS6?
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 musicalmac  Moderator
Mmmm, it is delicious... Silky smooth on my 4S. Passbook is already useful between Fandango, Walgreens, and Target (and Delta soon, too! -- WAITING on YOU Kayak!)

There are a lot of little improvements that by themselves aren't worth dwelling on, but the OS update is full of those... The sum of the parts is something special. Love the new look of many of the UI elements.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 musicalmac  Moderator
Anyone else having a problem connecting to wifi? my touch can't connect even though i was just connected to it right before i updated to iOS6?EliteM0nk3y
Looks like it was a mistake on Apple's part, and they have corrected it.

Linkage
EliteM0nk3y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 EliteM0nk3y

[QUOTE="EliteM0nk3y"]Anyone else having a problem connecting to wifi? my touch can't connect even though i was just connected to it right before i updated to iOS6?musicalmac
Looks like it was a mistake on Apple's part, and they have corrected it.

Linkage

Nope, still can't connect to my wifi. It just gets stuck in an infiinite loop. I don't even go to that webpage thing that people are mentioning, it just continuely trys to connect to my home network.

I'll try my school wifi tomorrow to make sure it isn't my network's problem.

TTGSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TTGSteve
Member since 2012 • 31 Posts

Downloading it right now. Let's hope it's as good as all of you are saying. :)

BeErBOnG29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BeErBOnG29
Member since 2005 • 4387 Posts

Downloading it right now. Let's hope it's as good as all of you are saying. :)

TTGSteve
It's not bad. There are some cool new UI improvements, passbook and the do not disturb feature are pretty sweet. Otherwise, there isn't much new for the phone. On the other hand, my iPad finally got Siri which is awesome :) and worth the update alone.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Siri doesn't such so much anymore. Has location services in Canada now, pretty sweet. Still some glitches in the new features in particular. Asked how a local football team was doing in the current season and she showed me the current roster for the local hockey team. Only being on an iPad 2, can't really test Siri on a non-iPhone. Is she so network dependant anymore? Edit: they drop YouTube on iPad, but google doesn't have a native YouTube app ready to go. Q.Q
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#13 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

Updated my dads 4S, I really like the do not disturb feature. I have been using an app on android for that functionality, would be nice to have it as a native feature.

On the other hand apple maps is a major letdown. Apple has alot of work ahead of themselves in this one.

BeErBOnG29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BeErBOnG29
Member since 2005 • 4387 Posts
On the other hand apple maps is a major letdown. Apple has alot of work ahead of themselves in this one.Gambler_3
Why do you say that? I haven't messed with it yet, but from quickly opening it up and seeing it in Find My iPhone, it looks better.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

Updated my dads 4S, I really like the do not disturb feature. I have been using an app on android for that functionality, would be nice to have it as a native feature.

On the other hand apple maps is a major letdown. Apple has alot of work ahead of themselves in this one.

Gambler_3
I love this feature, I'm going to make my wife use it as her ipad/iphone light up the bedroom at night with all her dumb game notifications. :P Maps looks like they could use some major work, but I really dont use them, I have car navigation.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]On the other hand apple maps is a major letdown. Apple has alot of work ahead of themselves in this one.BeErBOnG29
Why do you say that? I haven't messed with it yet, but from quickly opening it up and seeing it in Find My iPhone, it looks better.

They just dont seem as detailed, it's really not looking good for apple. This thing is apparently "news" in the UK that apple maps have serious issues.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/20/3363914/wrong-turn-apple-ios-6-maps-phone-5-buggy-complaints

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

I'm hesitant.

I'm reading on Yahoo there's some changes many don't like (maps, terrible battery life), now I'm reading in this thread that it seems like there's some bugs, which is to be expected, but still. I know the Google version of maps are gone but how about Youtube? Doesn't Google own it? If YT is gone there's no way I'm upgrading. I'm just afraid something will come up that makes something I really need incompatible. Many things sound great but I've had iOS upgrade headaches in the past and have come to not look forward to each one.

awptical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 awptical
Member since 2003 • 844 Posts

The native app is gone I believe, but isnt there a Youtube app directly by Google on the App store?

EliteM0nk3y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 EliteM0nk3y

The native app is gone I believe, but isnt there a Youtube app directly by Google on the App store?

awptical
Yep, and they will be releasing a Google Maps app soon. Also, from what I saw of Apple Maps when he was testing it out, it was a joke, resolution is crap, and "3D" option that they have really just tilts the view and adds random bumps. This was on 4S.
MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MirkoS77

Yea, I think I'll hold off. Sucks about YT, but if there's another app that functions the same or better then I'm alright with that I suppose. The maps are a disappointment even though I rarely use them. They'll be continually updated and improved so no worries there. I'm going to wait a few months and see how things pan-out.

EliteM0nk3y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 EliteM0nk3y

Yea, I think I'll hold off. Sucks about YT, but if there's another app that functions the same or better then I'm alright with that I suppose. The maps are a disappointment even though I rarely use them. They'll be continually updated and improved so no worries there. I'm going to wait a few months and see how things pan-out.

MirkoS77
Except the official Youtube from Google is so much better than the one that came with iOS (I haven't found a single thing that it doesn't do better). And if anyone is interested on how bad maps is, check out these pictures from Cnet. Guess Apple had to screw up eventually. http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57517080-37/where-are-we-apples-messy-maps/
MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MirkoS77
[QUOTE="MirkoS77"]

EliteM0nk3y
Except the official Youtube from Google is so much better than the one that came with iOS (I haven't found a single thing that it doesn't do better). And if anyone is interested on how bad maps is, check out these pictures from Cnet. Guess Apple had to screw up eventually. http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57517080-37/where-are-we-apples-messy-maps/

:lol: Ouch, that looks bad. Still think I'll give it some time. A lot of the reviews on Google's YT app are negative as well. All these pains are to be expected when such essential parts of the OS are overhauled so it makes sense to wait.
AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
I still haven't updated. I havent had chance to connect to wifi but at home and my home wifi is just a 3g hotspot.
ultimameteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ultimameteora
Member since 2003 • 2573 Posts

I'm hesitant.

I'm reading on Yahoo there's some changes many don't like (maps, terrible battery life), now I'm reading in this thread that it seems like there's some bugs, which is to be expected, but still. I know the Google version of maps are gone but how about Youtube? Doesn't Google own it? If YT is gone there's no way I'm upgrading. I'm just afraid something will come up that makes something I really need incompatible. Many things sound great but I've had iOS upgrade headaches in the past and have come to not look forward to each one.

MirkoS77
Apple's version of Maps is awful, I got lost, for YouTube I just go through Safari.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
I've learned to wait on the updates. I have programs that i use on a day to day basis. I tend to wait until all of these update with proper iOS updated support......and even wait a bit more to see reviews. One time apple updated and I lost a bunch of work when updating an app.
MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MirkoS77

I've learned to wait on the updates. I have programs that i use on a day to day basis. I tend to wait until all of these update with proper iOS updated support......and even wait a bit more to see reviews. One time apple updated and I lost a bunch of work when updating an app.Heirren

Pretty much. I'm never assured something won't go all screwy and I won't lose an app that has months of stuff on it, even if my phone's backed-up. It never feels like updates are ever really tested thoroughly and there's always going to be something that won't go right. I hate updating my PC's OS every few years for the same reason, yet with my phone it seems to happen every few months with the same amount of hassle.

anbu-black-ops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27 anbu-black-ops
Member since 2008 • 2380 Posts

I updated yesterday. I thought it was out for sometime now. lol. When I was playing around with the settings, I saw an option that says update to iOS 6.

Edit: what happen to the youtube app. Waaah!

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]On the other hand apple maps is a major letdown. Apple has alot of work ahead of themselves in this one.BeErBOnG29

here is why plain useless if it can't even get key locations right http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/digital-living/7727326/Apple-Maps-moves-Timaru-Airport
Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#29 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts
Upgraded my iPad and a few iPhones, some pretty neat changes.
Mikako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Mikako
Member since 2012 • 81 Posts
I'm kinda scared to update my iOS coz I jailbroken my ipad 2 for the apps =S will upgrading to iOS 6 will disables my applications? >_
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Gambler_3

will upgrading to iOS 6 will disables my applications? >_Mikako
Yup.

Eliana04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Eliana04
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

Ios 6 update contains 200 new features.

gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 gmaster456
Member since 2008 • 7569 Posts

Ios 6 update contains 200 new features.

Eliana04
"features"
GamerZem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 GamerZem
Member since 2012 • 526 Posts
I did have a few small issues on my iPhone 4, but overall iOS 6 ran pretty well.