Intel Atom X7 Benchmarks (Surface 3 Edition)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

Impressive, however, single-core performance is disappointing. Still, it's a huge improvement over older Intel Atom processors.

Link

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:

Impressive, however, single-core performance is disappointing. Still, it's a huge improvement over older Intel Atom processors.

Link

Keep in mind, the Airmont cores are just a die shrink of the same Silvermont cores used in Bay Trail. Cherry Trail's big boost will come from the new graphics architecture. Only Broxton will bring a the new Goldmont CPU architecture and Skylake graphics. With the focus on Skylake Core M coming out later this year, it looks like Broxton will get pushed to 2016 (Surface 4?).

Single core score from Geekbench 3 in 32-bit mode doesn't exactly tell you much, especially when this is a Windows device and all 4 cores / 4 threads will be utilized. For that matter, I'm not sure why PC World is comparing ARMv8 (64-bit) and x86 (32-bit) with Geekbench 3, the boost in SHA results (~4x) is huge for ARMv8, that alone skews the results.

I'd wait for some full reviews that offer a more extensive look using relevant software and benchmarks. An GLES2.0 / DX9 benchmark is a bit silly when the graphics can support DX12 (with some limitations). It seems a bit of a waste considering the huge advantage of the Surface 3 is the fact that it's an x86 PC in a thin/light tablet form factor. No more ARM/RT limitations.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3  Edited By FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@NVIDIATI: Okay, that's good to know! I have also read somewhere that MS did stated an Atom x7 can match up with an i3. Can you believe that?